“I can’t get you involved in this,” Spike said firmly. She frowned.


“Why not?” she asked. “You stood up for me and got fired for it. The least I can do is help you take down Hank and get you to have your old job back again.” Spike smiled at her before looking down.


“But what if it doesn’t work out?” Rupert asked. “You two could wind up in even more trouble if your plan fails.”


“I really don’t think my plan will fail,” Buffy said, smirking as she sat on a stool. Rupert looked at her.


“And what exactly is your plan?” he asked.


“You don’t think I know all kinds of things that will get Hank in trouble?” she asked. Spike looked at her.


“Is it something that could potentially make him lose his position as one of the partners at the firm?” he asked.


“You bet,” she replied. “Let me go in and talk to him. I have a feeling what I have to say to him will do the trick.”


“I don’t want you going alone,” Spike said. She looked at him. “I’d like to be there with you, just in case.”


“My dad’s not physically abusive,” she said. “He just likes to put me down.” Spike reflected back on what he had said to Hank only hours before.


“I’d still like to be there,” Spike said. “And Rupert, you can go back to work, as well. If anything comes up, I’ll call you.”


“Just be careful, you two,” his uncle said, heading to the door. “If you get arrested, William, I’m not bailing you out.”


“You’re funny,” Spike replied sarcastically, smiling. Rupert smiled back at Spike and opened the door.


“It was good to see you again, Buffy,” he said. “I’ll be sure to talk to Jenny about a dinner for all of us.”


“Thank you,” she smiled at the older man. He nodded and left, shutting the door behind him. Buffy took a deep breath, standing up.


“You know what you’re going to say to Hank?” Spike asked. She nodded, looking down. “Are you okay?”


“Yeah,” she answered. “I’ve held a grudge against him for so long, and I have a feeling that’s all going to end today after I talk to him again.” She looked at Spike, smiling. “Almost feels like the end of an era.” He chuckled and grabbed his keys.


“Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked.


“Positive,” she answered. “Like I said before, it’s the least I can do.” He paused, averting his gaze.


“Does this mean you might forgive me for what happened last weekend?” he asked. She sighed.


“You were fired after trying to protect my honor,” she said quietly. “I don’t see why I wouldn’t forgive you.” He smiled at her before she opened the door. “Let’s get this over with. I’ve been waiting for years to do this.” He nodded and they left, getting into his car and driving to the firm.


* * *


When they got up to 19th floor, they went to Lilah’s desk. She looked at them with a surprised expression.


“You must be Buffy,” she said, looking at the woman in front of her. Buffy nodded. “It’s nice to finally meet you.”


“You, too,” Buffy said politely, not having any issues with Hank’s secretary.


‘But I can’t see why a woman like her would want to work for a prick like my dad,’ Buffy thought.


“Is Hank in his meeting still?” Spike asked. Lilah looked at Hank’s afternoon schedule and then at a clock.


“No,” she answered. “I believe it ended about fifteen minutes ago. He doesn’t have any other meetings or appointments for about an hour.” Spike nodded and took Buffy’s hand in his. She hesitated for a moment before looking at him, smiling softly. He looked at her for a moment before squeezing her hand, trying to reassure her that it would all work out, and led her to Hank’s office. Spike didn’t bother knocking first as he opened the door and ushered Buffy in first before following her and closing the door. Hank got off the phone as soon as he saw the two people standing in front of him.


“Buffy?” Hank asked, surprised to see her there. She noticed how bruised and swollen his nose was.


“Hello, Hank,” she said in an even tone, sitting down in front of him. “You might want to get your nose looked at. Or perhaps some ice.” Spike smirked as he sat beside her. Hank stared at him.


“What are you doing here?” he asked sharply. “I thought I told security not to let you into the building.”


“It’s too bad the security guards at the door are friends of mine,” Spike replied, relaxing in his chair and smiling at Hank. “And I think Buffy’s right about your nose. Doesn’t look too good, mate.”


“I should have you arrested,” Hank said sternly, glaring at Spike.


“I could say the same about you,” Buffy said, watching as her father’s eyes focused on hers.


“What’re you talking about?” he asked, confused. “What’ve I done?”


“It’s more like what haven’t you done, daddy dearest,” she said, crossing her legs and sitting up straight. Spike noticed how confident she suddenly seemed.


‘Good, Buffy being calm and collected should help,’ he thought.


“And what haven’t I done?” Hank asked in a neutral tone.


“Spike, it’s illegal for a father to not pay child support after a divorce, correct?” she asked, looking at the man beside her. Spike raised an eyebrow at what she was implying.


“Yes,” he answered, looking at Hank, noticing how pale he had gotten. “So, Mr. High and Mighty didn’t pay alimony?” Hank looked down, and Spike smirked. “That’s a serious crime there, Hank. I could throw the book at you for that one.”


“It’s not like you and your mother didn’t get by,” Hank said quietly, looking at his daughter.


“Sure, we got by,” Buffy shrugged. “After Mom spent a couple of years working two jobs just to make ends meet. If you had actually given her the money she deserved, she wouldn’t have had to do that, now would she have?”


“So what do you want me to do? Pay her the money I owe her?” Hank asked, going in his desk to grab his checkbook. “How much will do the trick?”


“I don’t want your money, and neither does she,” Buffy replied. “Mom’s doing perfectly fine now, no thanks to you.”


“So what do you want from me, Buffy?” Hank asked, looking at her.


“I want you out,” she said, crossing her arms. He raised an eyebrow, confused. “I believe that between Spike and I, we have enough information on you to get you to lose your partner title.” She looked at Spike. “Don’t you think?”


“Absolutely,” he replied, looking at Hank.


“So you want me to quit?” Hank asked, smiling. “Why would I do that? You really think you two can take me down?”


“No, I think the three of us can,” a voice said from the doorway. Buffy and Spike turned to see Rupert standing there, a serious look on his face. Hank stood up. “After hearing what Buffy has said, and knowing what I know about you, Hank, I believe I can do a good enough job of taking you out of this place.”


“You wouldn’t do that,” Hank replied. “You and I’ve been colleagues for years now.”


“That doesn’t mean I’m your friend or on your side,” Rupert said. Spike smiled at his uncle, seeing his somewhat rebellious side come into play. “You never deserved to be a partner, Hank, and you’ve always known it. And nothing would give me greater pleasure than to get you out of here. Do you understand me?” Hank looked at his partner before looking at his daughter.


“I’m not giving up without a fight,” Hank said firmly. Buffy stood up.


“And I’m not going to stop fighting you until the day you die,” she replied. For the first time, Buffy saw that her father was actually afraid of her. “Quit, retire- do whatever you want to. Just leave this place before I sue you for screwing both Mom and I over for the last few years.”


“Will you two excuse us?” Hank asked, looking at Spike and Rupert. Rupert nodded, and when he noticed that Spike wasn’t moving, he grabbed his nephew’s arm and led him out of the office. Hank then turned his attention to Buffy. “You know I never meant to hurt you or your mother, honey.”


“Maybe you didn’t mean to, but you did,” she shrugged. “I dealt with your cruelty for years, and I can honestly say that Mom and I moving away from you was one of the best days of my life.” Hank looked down. “I’m sorry things can’t be different for you, but I will do everything in my power to take you down. It’s what you deserve, and I won’t stop until I’m satisfied.”


“I know,” Hank said quietly. She raised an eyebrow, surprised. “And you’re right- I probably do deserve everything that you want to do to me.” He paused. “But I’m still your father. That’s got to count for something.”


“Sure it does,” she replied, noticing a brief flicker of hope in his eyes. “If you weren’t my father, I would’ve already tried suing you for damages and the like.” He nodded slightly. “Just leave, Hank, and this will all be over. You never have to see me again, and vice versa.” He frowned. “And don’t pretend to be hurt by that, either, because it won’t change things. When I leave this office, every tie between you and I should be considered severed. Pack up your things and leave. That’s the least you can do for me.”


“And what do you get out of it?” he asked.


“My boyfriend will get his job back,” she answered, somewhat surprised at the word she used to describe Spike.


‘It’s not like I’d mind him being my boyfriend,’ she thought. Hank scoffed and looked down.


“Do we have a deal?” she asked. He looked at his daughter sadly before nodding. She extended her hand, and he looked at it with a funny expression before shaking it. “It was a pleasure doing business with you, Hank.” She walked to the door and heard him sigh quietly.


“Goodbye, Buffy,” he said. She turned to look at him for a moment before nodding and walking out. Spike was right beside the door, looking at her with both a puzzled and happy expression.


“‘Boyfriend’?” he asked, smirking. She blushed slightly, and he chuckled. “Come on, princess, let’s get out of here.” She nodded, and when he wrapped his arm around her waist as they walked out, she didn’t hesitate in moving closer to him, leaning against his side. ***************************************************************************


 


A/N The next chapter might end up being the epilogue - I'm not too sure yet. I hope everyone liked this chapter (considering it was another one attacking Hank), and reviews would be splendid!:)