A Month Later

Buffy and Spike arrived at his uncle’s mansion, Spike ringing the doorbell and fidgeting slightly. Buffy smiled at him.

“Is everything okay?” she asked. He looked at her and smiled softly before kissing her temple.

“I’m perfectly fine,” he answered. “I’m just afraid of the questions Aunt Jenny is going to bombard me with.”

“It’s smart to be afraid,” a voice said beside them. The couple turned to face a brunette woman standing in the doorway, smiling. “Hello, William. And I’d recognize you from anywhere, Buffy.” She moved forward to hug the young blonde woman, and Buffy surprisingly felt comfortable despite the unexpected gesture. “It’s been ages.”

“It’s nice to see you again, Mrs. Giles,” Buffy said politely, remembering Jenny from her past.

‘When times were not too bad in L.A.,’ Buffy thought. ‘When Mom and I were still happy here.’

“Call me Jenny,” the older woman replied. “Won’t you two come in?” Spike motioned for Buffy to go in first before following her in and closing the door. He noticed her looking around the house with a slight smile on her face.

“What is it, luv?” he asked quietly, running a hand over her wavy hair. She looked at him.

“I remember running around this place when I was little,” she answered. He smiled and noticed Jenny watching them.

“Rupert is already in the dining room,” she said, smiling. “Seems he’s a bit impatient to eat.” The blondes laughed, following her into the large dining room, seeing Rupert sitting at the head of the table. He promptly stood up.

“Well, hello Buffy, William,” he said, extending a hand to Buffy. She shook it and giggled as he brought her hand to his lips to place a soft kiss on her skin. “Please sit down.” She chose to sit beside him on one side while Spike sat beside her and Jenny was across from them. “I trust you both are doing well?”

“Yes,” Spike smiled, looking at Buffy. “We’re doing fairly well together.” She returned his smile.

“And how has everything been going for you, dear?” Jenny asked, looking at the young woman. “All of the changes and such?”

“Everything is great,” Buffy answered, smiling as Spike took her hand in his, lacing their fingers together. “I love my Photography course, and my job at Belinda’s Boutique has actually been a lot of fun. We just got this neat shipment of Halloween costumes in.”

“That’s one of William’s favorite holidays,” Jenny smiled, looking at her nephew. He ducked his head, and Buffy nudged him, giggling.

“Why am I not surprised?” she laughed. “Big bad Spike would of course love Halloween.”

“I thought we weren’t supposed to be talking about me tonight?” Spike asked, looking between his aunt and uncle.

“I’m just talking to Buffy,” Jenny replied innocently. “So, William told me you went back to Sunnydale for a bit.”

“Yeah, I went back for a week,” Buffy answered, relaxing in her seat. “I saw Mom and my friends again.”

“And how is Joyce doing?” Jenny asked, noticing Buffy’s eyes light up slightly.

“She’s doing pretty well,” Buffy smiled. “Now that Ted’s out of the picture, Mom has apparently been enjoying life more. She joined a book club and went to New York for an art convention recently.”

“That sounds like the Joyce I remember,” Jenny replied, smiling softly. “I should really get in touch with her soon.”

“I know Mom would love to see you again,” Buffy said honestly, looking at Jenny, who then turned her attention back to her nephew.

“And how is working at Wolfram and Hart again going?” she asked. Spike shrugged, smiling at his uncle.

“After Hank decided to retire, everything’s been going smoothly,” he answered. Buffy smiled, thinking about the fact that her father had left the company the same day she and the two Giles men threatened him.

‘He’s been in Spain with Harmony ever since,’ she thought. ‘And I hope he never comes back.’

“So when can we expect you to become the other partner?” Jenny asked, smirking at Spike.

“After old Rupes here retires,” Spike chuckled, looking at his aunt. “Think you can arrange that?”

“Give me a couple of years,” Rupert smiled. “Until then, it looks like I’ll be the head of the firm on my own.”

“It’s probably easier that way,” Jenny said. “All of the other lawyers are a couple of decades younger than you.”

“Thanks for reminding me how bloody old I am,” Rupert sarcastically said, frowning at his wife. Jenny smiled at him and patted his hand. “Not like you’re a spring chicken, dear.” Jenny shot him a look, and both Spike and Buffy laughed before looking at each other.

“It’s refreshing to see a young couple so in love,” Jenny said, getting their attention. Buffy blushed as Spike squeezed her hand in his and leaned over to kiss her cheek. “And when can I expect the next Summers and Giles partnership?” Buffy giggled.

“Whenever the stubborn chit will let me propose to her,” Spike replied. Buffy frowned at him.

“I’ve known you for barely two months,” she said. “I think you can wait a while to propose, buster.” Spike grinned.

“You’ll have to mind him, Buffy,” Rupert said, smiling. “Us Giles men get a little impatient in our old age.” Spike shot his uncle a look while the three others at the table laughed.

“Jenny mentioned something like that before,” Buffy said, noticing the look that Rupert directed at his wife.

“Come on, time to kick off dinner,” Jenny said, deciding it was a good time to change the subject. She stood, holding her glass of water up. “I think I’d like to propose a toast.” Rupert smiled adoringly at his wife. “But not to you, sweetie. Sorry.” He chuckled. “To Buffy and Spike- for reminding me of what it means to be young and in love again.”

“To Buffy and William,” Rupert said, holding up his glass. Spike and Buffy raised their glasses, clinking them with the older couples’.

“To us,” Spike said, sipping his wine before leaning over and kissing his girlfriend. “And to having good jobs.”

THE END
***************************************************************************


A/N Alright, I know I should've had this posted yesterday, but I had an exam at 7 AM this morning that I really needed to study for. I don't know how happy I am with the end of this story, and if I get enough reviews that say it's not that good, I'll re-write it. I hope everyone liked this story, and I'm grateful for everyone who reviewed, especially those who did after I wrote the first chapter. You all are the reason why I decided to write chapter 2 instead of giving up right away, so thank you:) Be on the lookout for my next fic "Don't Sleep To Dream", which I might begin posting as of tomorrow. Have a great day/night, and any last reviews for "Just a Job" are appreciated! Thanks again!