After a few minutes of silence, Buffy turned to look at him. “So, you said one of your friends set you four up with appointments at Miss Kitty’s Boudoir?” He nodded. “A girl, right?”

“Yeah,” he answered, mindlessly tapping his fingers against the steering wheel. “Cordelia Chase, Angel’s secretary.”

“May I ask why she did that?” she asked curiously, tilting her head. “Or is it a secret?”

“I tell you what,” he began, looking at her for a moment. “I’ll answer if you’ll answer any questions I ask you.” Buffy hesitated before nodding, looking at him expectantly for an answer. “Cordy bought us the packages because we solved a big case a couple of days ago and have been too busy and stressed out to have any fun lately.”

“A case?” she asked, raising an eyebrow. “Are you a lawyer?” He nodded. “Cool. My dad is one, too.”

“Then you know how hectic the life of one is,” he replied. She looked out the window, not choosing to respond to that. Spike noticed her reaction and wondered what she was hiding.

‘Did she run away from home because of her dad maybe?’ he thought, unconsciously gripping the wheel tighter as thoughts of reasons why she’d leave home flooded his head. ‘Don’t jump to conclusions so fast, mate. Drop the lawyer act for a minute and be a person.’

“Can I ask you a question?” he heard her say after a minute passed. She was looking at him with a pensive look on her face.

“Sure,” he answered, somewhat concerned to hear what she was going to ask about.

“If you’re a lawyer and all, why aren’t you trying to shut down Miss Kitty’s?” she asked. “I mean, a brothel isn’t exactly legal. I’d think that you’d be all for trying to close an establishment like that down.”

“Morally, yes, I should try to close it,” he said before smirking slightly. “But your employer gives a great deal of money to my firm to stay running. As long as we keep getting money, Miss Kitty’s should stay running.” She didn’t seem too surprised to hear the information and returned to watching the scenery fly by as Spike drove on the expressway. “So, I believe it’s my turn now.” She looked at him, confused. “So, luv, tell me about your past.”

“Well, I grew up here actually,” she said quietly. “But when my parents got divorced a few years ago, my mom and I moved down to Sunnydale. My life was a lot more fun after that. I had a couple of close friends, and I didn’t have to deal with my parents’ fighting anymore. Life was…perfect.” Spike noticed that the dreamy look in her eyes suddenly diminished. “And then my mom met Ted, a seemingly nice guy from town.”

“And I’m assuming this Ted guy wasn’t too great, was he?” Spike asked, worried that Ted might have hurt her.

“Nope, not great at all,” Buffy answered, wringing her hands in her lap. “I mean, he was in the beginning. He was good to my mom, baked cookies for my friends and I…but he wasn’t so nice when it was just him and I.”

‘Did that bastard touch her?’ Spike thought, clenching the wheel again. ‘So help me God, I’ll speed down there and beat him to death myself.’

“But somehow along the way, he started being able to convince my mom to do whatever he wanted,” she said, changing the subject off of her arguments with Ted. “And what he wanted was me out of the house, so I left on my birthday.” Spike felt sorry for the girl beside him again, not understanding how her mother could allow that to happen. “I came to L.A. looking for a fresh start and a chance for my life to maybe resort to the way it was before the divorce.” She looked outside again. “I haven’t spoken to my father since the day we moved, and I think a part of me believed that I’d get the chance when I got here.”

“I’m assuming you haven’t talked to him, have you?” Spike asked quietly, unsuccessfully masking his pity for her.

‘God knows my father wasn’t around either,’ he thought bitterly. ‘How come some men just up and leave their families? Is there no such thing as the sanctity of marriage anymore?’

“No,” she answered, sighing. “Apparently he’s moved since then a couple of times, and I haven’t been able to track down a permanent phone number or address.” She paused. “But it’s okay. I haven’t needed him since I got here. I found my job within a week, and I’ve been able to support myself on what I make.”

“You don’t really strike me as the type of girl who’d work at Miss Kitty’s Boudoir,” he said, sneaking a glance at her before his eyes returned to the road.

“No, I’m really not that type at all,” she said, shrugging. “But it’s good money, and it’s not as bad as it could be.”

“Even though you have to compromise your values daily?” he asked. She looked at him. “Morals outweigh money, pet. Don’t ever let money come in the way of your beliefs.”

“Even if I’m living in a box?” she asked, her tone surprisingly light. He frowned. “Which I’m not, by the way. I live in an apartment close by work.”

Another long moment of silence followed, and Spike had a few more questions he wanted to ask, but he wanted to hold off on them for a while until she was more comfortable with him. He looked at his watch and frowned.

“So, what would you like for dinner, Miss Buffy…” he trailed off, realizing he didn’t know her last name.

“Summers,” she filled in, smiling. He raised an eyebrow as he began processing the new information.

‘Summers?’ he asked himself. ‘No, that’s not possible. He doesn’t have a daughter.’ He paused. ‘Does he?’

“Buffy?” he asked, looking at her with an odd expression. She looked back at him. “Is your father Hank Summers?” She raised an eyebrow, surprised.

“Yeah, why?” she asked, noticing how Spike’s eyes widened. “Do you know him?”

“Know him?” Spike asked incredulously, willing himself not to freak out. “He’s my bloody boss.”
***************************************************************************



A/N I just want to thank everyone who reviewed this over the last 24 hours! I was shocked to see so many reviews, and I really appreciate it! Special thanks to Rana for giving me ideas for this chapter:) I hope to update at least once a day, so be on the lookout for that. Yet again, I've got to thank Ashlee for being so supportive of my work. She's the reason I have confidence to post! Have a great weekend, everyone!