“Excuse me?” Buffy asked, not believing it, staring at him, praying he was lying.

‘But why would he joke about that?’ she asked herself, turning her attention back outside. ‘My father is Spike’s boss. He knows my dad. I don’t even know my dad anymore. I…oh god.’

“Your father is my boss,” Spike said blankly, more thoughts flooding his head and plaguing him.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked quickly, panicking.

‘He’s not going to hurt you,’ she said to herself. ‘Probably. Right? Unless he has a vendetta against my dad.’ She paused, frowning. ‘Did he know I worked at Miss Kitty’s and sought me out just to screw Hank over?’ She paused again, looking at him. ‘But then why were his friends there, and why did he not seem to know a whole lot about me? He’d have to be a damn good actor to get this far by pretending he only knew my first name.’ He looked at her for a moment, and she deduced that he legitimately had not known who she was before she told him her last name. ‘I guess that’s good, at least.’

“Well, I was going to take you to my place, but plans changed,” he replied, looking at the road again. “I’m taking you to see your dad.” Her eyes widened as fear set in.

“No!” she replied, looking at him. He raised an eyebrow. “I can’t see him. No, Spike, please don’t do this.”

“But I thought you moved to L.A. hoping that you’d come across him,” he pointed out, confused.

“Yeah, two months ago,” she said sternly. “But things have changed. I don’t want to see him, not after…” She sighed, looking outside once again. “Not after what I’ve done here.”

“Buffy, you were just trying to get by,” Spike said quietly, looking at her. She looked at him and noticed how gentle his expression was. She relaxed slightly. “But I think your dad could help you.”

“I don’t want his help,” she replied, crossing her arms. “In fact, all I want is to go back. Right now.”

“I’m not taking you back to that place,” Spike said, continuing to speed along. “You’re never going back there.”

“I can’t just quit and leave my apartment,” she said, reality finally hitting her. “It’s a nice gesture and all, and it almost seems like a dream, but it’s not possible. My life is there.”

“Like hell,” he said sharply, looking at her. She raised an eyebrow, surprised by his tone. “That’s not where your life is. You’re better than that, Buffy, and you know it.” She blushed slightly, looking away. “Hank can help you out, luv. He can get you a place to stay, money, even a job. All you have to do is talk to him.”

“I don’t want to see him again,” she said forcefully, looking at Spike. “I don’t want my father’s help. Take me back. Please.”

“Buffy, I can’t let you go back to that life,” he said sadly, not willing to look at her. “You can get back on track. I can help you. So can Hank. Just let us help you out, pet.”

‘But if I see Hank, he’s going to find out about what I’ve done,’ she thought, briefly shutting her eyes. ‘He won’t want to help me. He’ll think I’m a whore, which isn’t exactly a lie.’ She paused. ‘I can’t let him find out. Ever.’

“Please take me back, Spike,” she said quietly, looking at him. “Please. I just want to go back.”

“Yet again, I’m not taking you back there,” he said, becoming angry that she wanted to return to work. “I’ve got an extra bedroom in my apartment. You can stay there until we find you your own place. I’ll help you start your life over again, luv. Except this time, you’ll be happy.”

‘He makes it sound so easy,’ she thought, uncrossing her arms and sighing quietly. ‘I wish it was.’ She paused, realizing he wanted her to stay with him. ‘Us living together for a bit? I don’t even know him.’ She looked at him. ‘But he’s saving me. He can’t be bad. Hopefully.’ Spike noticed that she was quiet for a while and noticed the pensive look on her face, realizing she probably wasn’t comfortable with the thought of staying with a stranger.

“Or if you’d like, we can get you a hotel room,” he offered. She took a deep breath and shrugged.

“Your place is fine,” she replied, seeing the look of relief in his eyes.

‘I just don’t understand why he’s doing this for me,’ she thought. ‘Not that there’s anything wrong with being a Good Samaritan, but it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when his three friends are back at Miss Kitty’s and are having a good time with a few of my co-workers.’ She swiftly decided not to approach the topic yet, figuring that he probably didn’t understand why he was doing this, either.

“Spike?” she asked, waiting for him to look at her for a brief moment. “You won’t tell Hank I’m in L.A., will you? And you won’t tell him about Miss Kitty’s at all, right?” He hesitated.

“Fine,” he replied. “If that’s what you want, pet. But he’s bound to find out eventually, don’t you think?” She shrugged.

“I guess I’ll wait and see,” she said, focusing on the side of the road again. He nodded.

“So, I was thinking of taking off this week,” he said, somewhat looking at her. “You know, take you out shopping, maybe help you find a new job and an apartment.” She smiled softly as she turned to face him.

“Are you sure you can spare that much time off?” she asked. He smiled back at her and nodded. “Thank you, Spike. You don’t know how much I appreciate this.” She finally felt herself relax completely, realizing that she’d get the chance to start over again.

‘But it’ll be right this time.’
***************************************************************************


A/N I forgot to address this in chapter 2, but I got the name Miss Kitty’s Boudoir from a store I saw in Eureka Springs, Arkansas a couple of years ago, and I couldn’t resist using it in this story:) Thanks again for all of the great reviews- they are extremely appreciated. I hope everyone is still enjoying this, and I plan on having chapter 4 posted tomorrow. Maybe if I get a bunch of reviews, I’ll get it done tonight. Thanks!