When they finally arrived at Spike’s apartment, he noticed that she seemed a lot calmer than she had in the car.

‘Maybe she’s warming up to me,’ he thought, trying not to smile. ‘Keep a level head, mate. You’re just trying to help her. Remember that. This is strictly a platonic relationship. And don’t forget the fact that you hardly know anything about her.’ He paused. ‘And don’t forget she’s Hank’s daughter. That should keep you on your toes, now shouldn’t it?’

He opened the door and let them in, and he saw Buffy’s expression as she looked around the spacious apartment. “Don’t like it, luv?” She looked at him, her eyes wide.

“It’s beautiful,” she said, going back to surveying her new surroundings. He smiled and put his keys down on a table beside the door. “You must be a really good lawyer.” He couldn’t help but chuckle.

“I’m a very fortunate bloke,” he replied, studying her for a moment.

‘She really does look like she’s 18,’ he thought. ‘I can’t imagine resorting to working at a place like Miss Kitty’s to survive. She’s a tough girl, that’s for sure.’

“And you live all by yourself?” she asked, looking down the hallway off to the side and counting four doors.

“Not anymore,” he said. She looked at him, smiling. “Want to see your room?” She nodded, and he saw how excited she looked.

‘Like a kid in a bloody candy store,’ he said to himself. ‘I’m assuming she hasn’t lived in a place like this before. Well, definitely not as of late. But I would expect that she grew up in a nice house, especially having a guy like Hank as her father.’ He frowned. ‘If he was my father, I would’ve run away the first chance I could. The poor girl has probably never had a good father figure around.’ He paused. ‘But neither have I.’ By the time he snapped out of his thoughts, Buffy was way ahead of him, looking into the first room she came upon.

“Books, a desk, a computer…please don’t tell me this is your idea of a recreation room,” she joked, smiling at him. He laughed and walked over to her.

“Who’d have thought you’d be funny, pet?” he replied, and she playfully punched his arm, scowling. “Hey! You’re a guest, and guests don’t hurt their host. Unless they approve of it, of course.” She looked at him funny. “I can’t wait to hear the stories Angel and Gunn will have after their appointments with your colleagues, luv. Angel deserves every bruise he gets. And Gunn, well, he can handle himself.” She giggled and moved on to the next open door. “That’s the bathroom.” He noticed how her eyes darted around it. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s the size of my bedroom back home,” she said in awe. He stifled a chuckle and led her to the next room. “Is this mine?” Spike nodded and flicked on a light switch. “It’s all black and white.”

“I like simple sophistication,” he shrugged. She walked in and looked around, taking in the queen-sized bed, dresser, empty walk-in closet, flat-screen TV, cordless phone, and a balcony off to the side. “Is this okay?”

“It’s perfect,” she said quietly, going to the balcony doors. “And this is considered your guest room?”

“Yeah,” he answered, leaning against the doorframe. “I don’t ever really have guests, but I figure I had the space, so why not make it into one?” She looked at him, and he smiled at the happy expression on her face. “Feel free to make yourself at home. The refrigerator is fully stocked, but if there’s anything you want, just tell me. I take showers at six in the morning, so you can use it any other time. I tend to smoke, but if that’s a problem, I can do it outside. Use anything you’d like, and if you need anything at all, just ask. We can go out shopping and get you everything you need tomorrow.”

“Spike, I can’t express how grateful I am for all of this,” she said, giving him a soft smile.

‘Sure you can,’ he thought before quickly dismissing it. ‘Not a good idea, mate.’

“Is there anything you’re going to need from your apartment?” he asked. “Anything valuable or sentimental?”

“Just clothes,” she shrugged, looking at the view through the glass doors of the balcony. “I left everything that meant something to me in Sunnydale. It was just easier to move without it all.” He looked at her sadly. “But it’s all for the best. At least I know my mom will take care of everything.” She paused. “Unless Ted got rid of it.” He saw that her fists clenched slightly and walked over to her. “I’m just happy I’m away from there. Even if it means losing my mom and friends.”

“You didn’t lose them, Buffy,” he said, gently placing his hand on her shoulder. She looked at him. “You can still talk to them.”

“Maybe I will someday,” she replied, shrugging. “But not until I’m at a good place in my life.” She sighed.

‘And if all goes the way I want it to, you’ll be at a good place in no time,’ he thought.

“So, I was thinking of maybe ordering in pizza for dinner,” he said. “Does that sound okay?”

“Sure,” she smiled. “I’m famished.” She giggled quietly. “I should probably warn you, I can eat a lot.”

“Somehow, I highly doubt that,” he smirked, looking at her thin frame.

“Trust me, buddy, I can,” she said, blushing slightly at his appraising glance. “I have high metabolism.”

“Well, we’ll see how much you eat, luv,” he replied. “Or are you politely trying to convince me to order two pizzas?”

“Just call me Miss Piggy,” she grinned, leaving the room and heading towards the kitchen. Spike smirked, watching her walk away.

‘Can I be Kermit?’ he asked himself, following her after a moment. She had a phone in her hand, waiting for him patiently.

“And you’re a bossy chit, too, aren’t you?” he joked, taking the phone from her. She punched his arm again. “Oww! I think you’re going to leave a bruise pretty soon.”

“Maybe I should’ve warned you that I leave bruises, too,” she grinned, winking at him before sitting on the couch.

‘If she’s the one giving them, then sign me up,’ he thought, smirking and dialing the number to order pizza.
***************************************************************************

A/N I realize that several of the upcoming chapters (including this one) are kind of filler...but I promise the goods soon!:) Due to it being my birthday week, posts will be fewer and far between as of Thursday, just to warn you all. I will try to get as much in as I can between now and then, including the first Spuffy hook-up, I promise. Keep the reviews coming! Thanks again!