After Buffy got out of the shower, she got dressed and looked in the mirror over the sink, giving herself a mental pep talk.

‘It’s not your fault he was only in a towel,’ she thought. ‘And yeah, you bumped into him, but it’s no big deal.’ She paused. ‘The big deal is that you stood there, openly ogling him for a while. Could you give away how you feel more, Summers? Now he probably thinks I want him, which is true, but he doesn’t need to know that. He’s just helping me out, that’s all. I shouldn’t have feelings for him.’ She frowned. ‘But why not? He’s helping me, saving me from the hell that is Miss Kitty’s.’ She sighed, combing through her hair with her fingers. ‘Spike’s just your friend. No more perverted thoughts about him, Buffy. Get it together and face him like a woman.’ She put her hand on the doorknob and smiled. ‘But he does have quite a nice body.’ She opened the door and headed towards the kitchen, smelling food. She could feel how hungry she was, and the fact her stomach was now growling every couple of minutes was a sign that she needed to eat, the sooner the better.

She was surprised to see Spike moving around the kitchen with ease, making something on the stove while pouring coffee and juice, toasting bread, and getting jelly and butter out of the refrigerator. Buffy’s eyes lit up when she saw him take out syrup.

‘I wonder what he’s making,’ she said, looking at the frying pans on the top of the stove. ‘Is that an omelet?’ Her eyes went to the other one. ‘Pancakes!’ She took a step forward, and Spike finally noticed her standing there.

“Good morning,” he said, smiling at her before moving back to the stove to flip the pancake over.

“Are we having company?” Buffy asked curiously, finally realizing how much food was being made.

“I thought you said you eat a lot,” Spike chuckled, looking at everything that was out on the kitchen’s island. “So I made everything I can actually cook for breakfast, hoping that at least one thing looks appealing to you.”

“What about cereal?” Buffy joked with a serious face. He frowned, and she saw his shoulders slump. “I’m just kidding, Spike. This is amazing.” He looked at her. “I can’t remember the last time I had any of these things for breakfast. Actually, I can’t remember the last time I had breakfast, period. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” he said, smiling again. “I brought in the newspaper and pulled out the employment section, along with apartment listings. I thought maybe you’d want to look through them, see if anything stands out.”

‘He’s already trying to get rid of me, isn’t he?’ she thought sadly, looking at the newspaper on the island. Spike noticed her expression and figured out what she was thinking.

“You’re free to stay as long as you’d like, Buffy,” he said, putting the omelet on a plate and setting it on the island. “I just wanted to let you look and see what’s out there. Besides, I’m sure after you’ve gotten used to living alone for the last two months that you probably wouldn’t mind the privacy again.”

‘More like he’s used to living alone and would like his privacy back,’ she thought, sitting on a stool at the island. ‘Especially after this morning. I wouldn’t blame him for wanting me out.’

“Yeah, I should probably look at my options for apartments,” she agreed, grabbing the paper and opening it up. She never noticed the sad look on Spike’s face as he watched her.

* * *

After a couple of hours at the mall, Spike and Buffy returned to the apartment, both of them laden with heavy shopping bags. Spike looked at her with an odd expression. “Are you sure you can afford all of this? I could’ve paid for everything, especially since I’m the reason you don’t have clothes here in the first place.”

“It was generous of you to offer to pay in every single store we walked in,” Buffy said, smirking at him. “But I have money, Spike. You’d be amazed at how much I got from working at Miss Kitty’s. I haven’t really had any expenses since coming to Los Angeles. Just the apartment and food, pretty much. No car, not a lot of chances to go out… I live a pretty modest life.” Spike looked at all of the bags with an amused expression. “Well, until now, I guess.” They both laughed as they carried them into the guest bedroom, putting them on the bed. “I appreciate you taking me to the mall today. And for taking off this week. It really wasn’t necessary.”

“Sure it is,” he replied, looking at her. “It would’ve been wrong to just bring you here and let you do everything on your own. I offered to help you, and that’s what I’m going to do.” She smiled at him, and Spike felt the overwhelming urge to kiss her suddenly.

‘You can’t, mate,’ he said to himself. ‘She’s just a young woman that needs to be put on the right track.’ He paused. ‘A young woman who happens to be your boss’ daughter. Hank would fire me if anything happened to her. For that matter, he’ll probably fire me as soon as he finds out I had her staying here. Bloody hell.’

“Spike?” she asked quietly, looking at him. “I really appreciate all of this. I can’t say it enough.”

“You’re welcome, pet,” he said, trying to ignore what he was thinking, but it was worthless. His hand reached out and cupped her cheek, his thumb slowly grazing over her soft skin. She shut her eyes for a moment, reveling in the contact. He leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss to her lips before backing away quickly.

‘I can’t believe I just did that,’ he thought. ‘Not that I wouldn’t mind really kissing her, but…bollocks.’

“I…I’m sorry,” he said, not willing to look at her. “I’ll be in the kitchen.” He turned around and instantly left her room. Buffy watched him, confused.

‘What the hell was that all about?’ she asked herself. ‘I mean, the kiss was a nice surprise, but why did he look so freaked out?’ She sighed and sat on her bed, surrounded by shopping bags. ‘Perhaps because you’re a whore that he doesn’t want to get involved with. He’s just helping you- how many times do you have to remember that before it sinks in? Nothing’s going to happen between you two, okay? He’s your friend, so stop deluding yourself already.’ She paused. ‘I can’t just let this go.’ She walked out of her room and went to the kitchen, seeing him sitting at the island, his face buried in his hands.

“Wait, why are you sorry?” she asked, crossing her arms. He looked at her and took a deep breath.
***************************************************************************


A/N Okay, I know ending the chapter like that wasn't nice, but I'm going to try my hardest to have chapter 7 up sometime tonight...hopefully. I hope you still like it, and reviews are extremely appreciated! Thanks:)