“Because I shouldn’t have done that,” Spike answered, looking down. “It was wrong of me, and I’m sorry.”

“Will you stop saying that?” Buffy asked, unsuccessfully masking her frustration. He looked at her, confused.

“Buffy, nothing can happen between us. You realize that, right?” Spike asked, not wanting to believe it himself. Although Buffy had told herself that several times, it still hurt to hear it from him. “You’re an amazing girl, and I want us to be friends, but you’re Hank’s daughter. If you and I ever were together…I don’t know what he’d do.”

‘So he’s picking his job over any possibility of being with me,’ she thought sadly. ‘Not that I blame him. He probably loves it there and is doing well for himself- he deserves what he has. I’m just hindering him as it is already. Why would he choose some girl he’s known for less than 24 hours over his career? Way to be selfish, Buffy.’

“You’re right,” Buffy said, willing herself to make it sound sincere. She noticed a hint of sadness flicker in Spike’s eyes before he looked away, nodding slightly. “Can I ask you a question, Spike?” He nodded, not looking at her. “And please be honest. None of this has to do with the fact I worked at Miss Kitty’s, does it?”

“What?” he asked, confused, looking at her. “Why would this have anything to do with that?”

“I just…I thought that maybe you didn’t like me because I worked there,” she said, looking down. He approached her and tilted her chin up so that he could look at her.

“I’m not going to judge you for working there, luv,” he said quietly. “I understand why you did it, and I know you’re not the type of girl that would work there for fun. Trust me when I say that I don’t think less of you.” Hearing him say that made her happy and feel somewhat relieved, even though she still had her reservations.

‘But what guy would honestly want a girl who worked at a place like Miss Kitty’s Boudoir? It’s like dating a prostitute- how many normal, stable guys do that?’ she thought sadly. ‘He may not judge me or think less of me, but I’m sure the thought of dating a girl who was a full-time whore isn’t appealing.’

“So it’s about Hank then?” she asked. He nodded slightly, in disbelief that he was trying to keep them apart because of his boss.

‘I don’t see why I even care so much about Hank’s opinion,’ he thought. ‘The guy’s a right bastard. I don’t owe him anything.’ He paused. ‘Except the fact he gave me a job. A great job, to be exact. I’d love to screw him over somehow, but he helped me out.’ He paused again. ‘And I plan on returning the favor by helping Buffy. I owe him that much, at least.’ He heard the phone ring and went to go grab it.

“So, we’re friends then?” Buffy asked, looking at him with a neutral, unreadable expression. He nodded. “I’ll let you get that. I’ll be in my bedroom, figuring out why I bought three pairs of jeans that all look alike.” He smiled slightly and watched her disappear down the hallway, going into her room.

‘I better be rewarded sometime for holding myself back,’ he thought, picking up the phone.

* * *

“Hello?” Spike asked, sitting on a stool and noticing that the newspaper section posting available apartments had several circles around individual listings.

‘So she really is going to move out,’ he thought sadly.

“Hey, man,” Charles Gunn said. Spike frowned, realizing that he hadn’t talked to any of his friends in the last day.

‘Since so many things changed in my life.’

“So, I heard you’re off on vacation-leave this week,” Gunn said. “And you skipped out early after the Miss Kitty’s hootenanny yesterday, which leads to more questions I have, but what’s going on? The Spike I know never takes days off, let alone a week. I remember you having a pretty wicked fever last year and not letting yourself go home until every last detail was finished up on a case. So unless you’re really dying, something’s going on.”

“Yes, something’s going on,” Spike said, deciding to look at what Buffy had circled.

‘That one’s on the other side of L.A.,’ he frowned, crossing it out and writing the word “dangerous” over it.

“Going to tell me what the big news is then?” Gunn asked. “Because, for once, I’m actually curious to hear details.”

“Remember that girl I was set up with yesterday?” Spike asked, crossing out another apartment listing.

‘Why aren’t any of these close by?’ he thought, scanning through more options.

“Yeah, the blonde bombshell,” Gunn replied, a hint of mischief in his voice. “What happened?”

“It’s a long story, but she’s here,” Spike answered, trying to figure out what to tell his friend.

‘Can’t ever mention that she’s Hank’s daughter. It’ll get out, and more chaos will ensue,’ he thought.

“What do you mean? She’s in your apartment?” Gunn asked, confused.

“Yeah,” Spike said. “She’s staying with me until she gets her own place.”

“Whoa, time to fill in some gaps here, Spike,” Gunn said. “I don’t understand what’s going on.”

“The girl, Buffy, quit her job and decided that she wanted to start her life over again, so I offered to help her out and have her stay here until things settle down more,” Spike tried to explain, being cautious about what he disclosed.

“So you’re saying that you’ve got the girl from Miss Kitty’s as your temporary roommate?” Gunn asked.

“Yeah,” Spike replied, noticing that he’d crossed out all but two apartments.

“She must’ve been pretty good if you’re so willing to help her out,” Gunn laughed. “Are you getting it free then while she’s with you?” Spike suddenly got very defensive.

“Her and I haven’t slept together,” Spike said sternly. “Not yesterday at Miss Kitty’s, not ever. She’s a great woman, and I’m just trying to help her out.”

“But you two are going to sleep together sometime, aren’t you?” Gunn asked, sounding surprised.

“I don’t know,” Spike answered honestly. “It’s not my top priority right now.”

‘But it’s in the top ten,’ he thought before frowning. ‘She agreed that we’re friends now, so stop thinking about shagging her.’

“Well, I’ve got a few files to look at before I call it a day, so good luck, man,” Gunn said. “I hope you and the girl work something out. And tell her that that Kennedy chic was a bit much.”

“Didn’t like her?” Spike laughed, pushing the newspaper aside.

“She wasn’t what I was expecting,” Gunn replied, looking at his right wrist, which was still red from trying to break out of the handcuffs Kennedy had put on him. “Bye, man.” Spike hung up and sighed.

“Well, I guess I should help my ‘friend’ get an apartment,” he muttered to himself, grabbing the newspaper and heading to Buffy’s room.
***************************************************************************

A/N I apologize again for the cliffhanger at the end of chapter 6, but it's a trick I've learned well from my partner-in-crime Ashlee:) Rana, I plan on using the movie night idea in chapter 8, so thank you in advance! I hope everyone likes this still, and I adore reviews! Thanks!