After a week’s time, Buffy had signed a lease and was ready to move into her own apartment, which happened to be in the building next door to Spike’s. They took all of her stuff over there one afternoon after ordering furniture for her new place. She let them in, and Spike looked around the fairly small apartment.

“I can’t believe I found this place,” Buffy smiled, putting down a box in the living room area. “It’s perfect.”

‘Couldn’t agree more,’ Spike thought. ‘She’s close by, the neighborhood is safe, and it won’t be nearly as difficult to check up on her.’

“Yeah, you’re lucky that the last renter here got married and moved out,” Spike said, returning her smile.

“I don’t blame him,” she said. “It’s kind of small for two people.”

‘Not like his,’ she thought. ‘His place fits two people perfectly.’ She paused. ‘But he needs his privacy, and it’s safer if we don’t live together. Much safer.’

“So, how’s work going?” Buffy asked, taking the box he was carrying from him and setting it by the others.

“Pretty well,” he answered, running a hand through his hair. “I got assigned another big case, so it’ll keep me busy.” She nodded slightly, trying to mask how sad she was that she wouldn’t be seeing him nearly as much as she had before. “And all of the guys keep asking about you.” She looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“They know about me?” she asked. He nodded, and she started getting worried. “What’d you tell them?”

“Just that I’ve been helping you out here and that we’re friends,” he answered, shrugging. “Nothing about you being Hank’s daughter.”

‘And not how I really feel about you,’ he thought. ‘They’d never let it go if they knew, and I don’t want any of them judging her because of Miss Kitty’s. She’s better than that place.’

“Good,” she replied, sighing and looking at the stack of boxes that had accumulated throughout the day.

“Actually, speaking of the firm,” Spike began, shoving his hands in his pockets, slightly nervous. “Wolfram and Hart is having a birthday bash for Rupert Giles on Saturday.” Buffy tilted her head, looking at him. “He’s Hank’s partner.”

“Oh,” Buffy replied, looking down. “I didn’t know Dad was one of the partners. Good for him.”

‘Be careful what you say, Spike,’ he warned himself. ‘You have to approach this cautiously.’

“Yeah, since 2002,” he replied. “But I was wondering if maybe you’d want to go with me to the party.” She looked at him, surprised.

“I’d love to,” she said, and he smiled. “But I can’t.” He smile instantly turned into a frown. “I’m not ready to see Dad.”

“Hank won’t be there,” Spike said quickly. “He’s out of town.”

‘That’s not completely true- he’ll be back by Friday- but she doesn’t have to know that,’ he thought. ‘I think she’s ready to see Hank again. She’s not the girl from Miss Kitty’s anymore, and she’s making a better life for herself. Besides, I’d like to properly introduce her to the guys.’ He paused. ‘And the party’s a great opportunity for us to go out on a date, whether she thinks it’s one or not.’

“Dad’s not going to be there for his partner’s birthday?” she asked. Spike nodded, hoping she believed him. “Why does that not surprise me? Not like he was ever there for one of my birthdays.” Spike’s heart went out to her, completely understanding how horrible fathers could be sometimes.

‘I doubt my father even remembers my birthday now,’ he thought. ‘If the pillock is still alive.’

“Well, if you’d like me to go with you, I will,” she said, interrupting his thoughts. He smiled.

“Great,” he said. “It’s Saturday night at seven at the firm. I think it might be kind of a high-society party.”

“Looks like I’ll be getting a dress then,” she replied, smirking. “I love dressing up. I haven’t in a really long time.”

“I love silk,” he said, indiscreetly giving her suggestions for her dress. “Black or red, preferably.” She grinned.

“Trying to get me to dress a certain way for you?” she asked, amused. He chuckled. “I’ll see what I can find.”

“Splendid,” he replied. “It’ll be a good time, luv. The firm tends to be extravagant for parties.”

“Just the way I like ‘em,” she smiled, opening up a box. “So, are we still having movie night tonight?”

“Sure,” he said. “My place at eight?” She nodded. “If you need anything, just call. I’ll be around.”

“Thanks,” she said. He nodded and let himself out of the apartment, closing the door before leaning back against it.

‘I just hope I don’t lose her now that she’s not living with me,’ he thought, shutting his eyes briefly. ‘I can only protect her so much, and eventually, she might be too busy to see me. Especially if she starts dating someone.’ He paused, clenching both his jaw and his fists. ‘I’m sure as hell not letting that happen. As far as I’m concerned, she’s mine.’

* * *

After unpacking several boxes, Buffy mentally reviewed her schedule for the upcoming week.

‘I start working at Belinda’s Boutique on Tuesday, and my Photography class begins Wednesday night,’ she thought. ‘Some of the furniture is arriving on Thursday, which means I have to be here until it’s all brought in.’ She sighed. ‘Maybe I can go dress shopping during my lunch break on Friday. And I should make an appointment to get my hair done on Saturday. I want to look nice for Spike.’ She smiled and looked at her watch. ‘Speaking of which, I’m supposed to be there right now.’ She grabbed her keys and went over to his apartment, letting herself in with the key he gave her.

“Hey,” she smiled, seeing him making popcorn in the kitchen. He smiled, too, and poured the popped kernels into a bowl. She took a key out of her pocket and set it on the island. He looked at it with a funny expression. “It’s to my place.” He raised an eyebrow. “I just figured that I have one for here, so you should have one for mine. You know, in case of emergencies or something.” He smirked and took his keys off a hook on the wall, putting the new key on his key-ring.

“Thank you, pet,” he said, putting his keys back. “So, what’s the flick of choice tonight?”

“How about ‘Serendipity’?” she asked with a hopeful tone. He made a face. “Come on, I know you own it.”

“I do not!” he replied defensively, crossing his arms. Buffy walked over to his DVD collection and scoured through it for a moment before plucking out a case marked “Serendipity”. He blushed. “I swear that’s not mine.”

“Stop lying, you loser,” she laughed, taking the DVD out and putting it in the DVD player. “I promise not to tell anyone that you own it. It’s our little secret.” He frowned and carried the popcorn bowl over to the couch. “Besides, it’s a good movie. John Cusack is hilarious.”

“And Kate Beckinsale is beautiful,” Spike added, noticing her frown for a moment.

‘Is somebody jealous?’ he thought, delighted. ‘Not my fault the bird is gorgeous, and it only makes sense that I find British actresses attractive.’ He looked at Buffy and smiled slightly. ‘But she’s even more beautiful than Kate.’

“I’ll go grab us drinks,” she offered, heading to the refrigerator and getting a beer for him and a soda for her. As she walked back to the couch, she tried not to sigh at the thought that this would be the last night she slept in the apartment, considering the fact her bed would arrive and be assembled the following day.

‘Well, unless him and I started dating,’ she thought, stifling a giggle. ‘Maybe I’ll stay overnight here again someday.’ She paused. ‘You’re just friends, Buffy. It’s all simply platonic.’ She sat down on the couch, beside Spike.

“Ready to watch it?” he asked. She nodded, and he pressed a button to start it.

“So, do you know all of the lines by heart, too?” she joked, looking at him. He frowned and began tickling her. “Hey!” She succeeded in fighting back, getting him to shriek. “Wait, do that again!”

“What? No,” he replied, chuckling. She giggled and raised her hands in surrender, trying to calm her breathing down. He backed off and saw the faint blush in her cheeks.

‘God, she’s beautiful,’ he thought before letting his eyes travel to the TV screen. ‘And if she never figures out I love this movie, she’s perfect for me.’

* * *

About an hour into the film, Spike draped his arm across the back of the couch, and Buffy curled up against him, yawning. He raised an eyebrow, surprised that she was so willing to be that close to him.

“Do you mind if I do this?” she asked quietly, looking at him. He shook his head.

“No,” he answered. “I don’t mind if you fall asleep on me.” She smiled softly and rested her head on his shoulder.

‘Trust me, pet, I really don’t mind at all,’ he thought, smiling.

They continued to watch the movie, and eventually, he realized his fingers were playing with individual locks of her hair.

‘I love this hair,’ he thought, looking at it, admiring her highlights. ‘Especially the way it glows in the sunlight.’

Minutes later, the movie finally ended, and he realized that Buffy didn’t move or say anything. He raised an eyebrow and looked down at her, seeing that she was fast asleep. He smiled softly and gently kissed her forehead. Her eyes slowly opened, and she looked at him with a soft expression.

“I fell asleep, didn’t I?” she asked quietly. He nodded. “But I like the end. It’s so sweet.”

“We can watch the end tomorrow, kitten,” he replied, running his hand over her hair. “It’s time to get you to sleep.”

“Okay,” she said, looking down before letting her eyes return to his. “Spike?”

“Yeah?” he asked, studying her eyes. She leaned over slowly and kissed him for a second before standing up. He pulled her back down to him and kissed her more intensely, not willing to let her walk away and ignoring the warnings his conscience was supplying.

‘Screw Hank- I need this,’ he thought. ‘And this isn’t my fault- she started it.’ He was surprised when he felt her arms wrap around his neck, her body moving closer to his. She parted her lips, and he seized on the opportunity to deepen the kiss. When their tongues touched, Spike could swear nothing else existed in the world except for them. She pulled away slightly to breathe, and Spike rested his forehead against hers.

“Good night,” she whispered, getting up and walking to her room. Spike stared at her retreating form until it disappeared before sighing and covering his eyes with his hands.

‘What the bloody hell was that all about?’ he asked himself. ‘Oh right, you and her are just friends. Why did I ever agree to that? That was a lie, and after tonight, I hope she feels the same way. Please don’t let her think that kiss was a mistake.’

In her room, Buffy was sitting on her bed, thinking the same thing that Spike was.
***************************************************************************


A/N I realize that Spike's idea of lying to Buffy about Hank going to the party was not a nice thing for him to do, and I know he sounded possessive of her when he (mentally) said that she was his, but I plan on having these two crazy kids get together sometime in the near future (with a little angst thrown in there undoubtedly). And if you haven't seen "Serendipity", I highly recommend it. Reviews are adored and appreciated:)