By the time six o’clock rolled around on Saturday, Buffy was buzzing with excitement. After a stressful week of working and setting up her apartment, she pampered herself that morning by getting a manicure, pedicure, and her highlights redone. She came home and relaxed for awhile before curling her hair and pinning half of it up, remembering when she used to do the same thing before going out to parties with her friends.

‘I wonder how they are,’ she thought, applying make-up. ‘Maybe when things settle down more here, I can invite them to L.A. for a weekend or something. It’s been…a long time. If I didn’t have Spike, I know I would’ve been at Miss Kitty’s for a lot longer, and I’m positive I wouldn’t have even thought of contacting Willow and Xander. I couldn’t handle them knowing that I worked there. They’d think less of me.’ She sighed. ‘And I wouldn’t blame them.’ Minutes began ticking away faster, and Buffy’s nerves began to set in. ‘Is this like a date? I mean, it’s an office party, so I doubt it. It’s two friends going out to celebrate someone’s birthday. Right, not a date.’ She looked in the mirror. ‘Do you want it to be?’

“Yes,” she said quietly, biting her bottom lip. “But it’s not, so don’t get your hopes up. Just because you shared a pretty fabulous kiss a few days ago doesn’t mean that you two have moved past the friendship level.” She paused. “I can’t believe I’m talking to myself.” She walked to her room and took her dress out of its bag, holding it up to her. “Perfect.” She slid the crimson silk dress on, studying her reflection in the full-length mirror on one of the walls. The dress had spaghetti-straps and cut fairly low into her cleavage, and it reached her French-manicured toenails. “I hope he likes this.” She put on a silver necklace with a red-stoned pendant dangling from it before putting in matching earrings. As she heard a knock on the door, she slipped on her strappy red heels and walked to the door, taking a deep breath and exhaling it smoothly before turning the doorknob. Spike was waiting, wearing a black suit, a white buttoned shirt beneath it, and a crimson silk tie. The two stared at each other for a moment, openly appraising how the other looked.

‘He looks absolutely gorgeous,’ she thought, willing her jaw not to drop. ‘He always does, but I’ve never seen this side of him before. This is GQ Spike.’

“Hi,” she said, almost shyly. “You look handsome tonight.” Spike was still looking up and down her body. “Spike?”

“You look magnificent,” he said quietly, his eyes finally locking with hers. She blushed slightly, and it increased more as he pulled a single red rose out from behind his back, extending it to her. She smiled and took it from him.

“Thank you,” she said. “Let me just go put this in a vase.” He nodded and watched her walk towards her kitchen area, retrieving a vase from one of the cabinets.

‘She’ll definitely be the belle of the ball tonight,’ he thought, grinning. ‘Which just means I have to stay alert and keep every single man at the party away from her.’

* * *

After Spike handed the keys of his BMW to the valet sitting in front of the firm’s parking lot, he linked arms with Buffy, leading her to the front door and on inside. He noticed her dreamy expression as she looked around the lobby while they waited for an elevator to take them up to where the party was. “Like it, pet?”

“It’s really nice,” she answered, looking at him. “You’re lucky to work in such a beautiful building.”

“It’s even more beautiful on the nineteenth floor,” he replied. “It’s all glass, and the view is amazing at night.”

“Yeah, I bet,” she said. “Is that where we’re going?” He nodded, and she smiled. “Cool.” They got into the elevator and traveled up to the 19th floor, only to get out amongst a large crowd of people. “Wow, this is quite some party.”

“Yeah,” he agreed, surprised at how many people were gathered. “I can honestly say I didn’t expect so many people to be here.” She smiled up at him. “Just be sure to stay close to me at all times, princess. I don’t want to lose you.”

‘And I mean that in more ways than one,’ he thought. She nodded and looked around.

“Want to see if we can find some of my friends?” he asked. She nodded again, and they began to try maneuvering through the horde of people. He spotted Wesley and Gunn with two women he didn’t recognize, but as they got closer, Buffy did. “Hello, Wes, Gunn.”

“Hey,” Gunn said, smiling at the blonde couple. “And you’re the infamous Buffy.” She smiled at him. “We’ve never been properly introduced.” He extended a hand, and she shook it. “This is Gwen, my date.”

“Good to see you again, Gwen,” Buffy said, smiling at her. Gwen grinned at Buffy, and Gunn looked between the two women, surprised. “And it’s good to see you, too, Fred.” The other brunette woman smiled, and Wesley raised an eyebrow. “I’m surprised Miss Kitty’s let you two off for the night.” All three men shared a look.

“Well, it’s a special occasion,” Gwen replied. “And it seems you already know our dates, but who is yours?”

“This is Spike,” Buffy said, feeling odd that she was the one to be doing introductions at his firm’s party.

“Nice to meet you,” both Gwen and Fred said. Spike nodded in acknowledgement.

“You three all worked together?” he asked, looking at Buffy. She nodded, and he smiled. “Well, that’s convenient.” She was pushed into his side slightly by someone moving past them, but she decided not to separate herself more from him. Spike noticed and grinned before looking at his friends. “So, where’s Angel?”

“He was catching up on something quickly,” Wesley explained. “I think Cordelia might be with him.”

“She probably is,” Gunn replied. “Those two run so hot and cold.” Buffy was somewhat excited to finally meet Cordelia.

‘In essence, she’s the reason I met Spike in the first place,’ she realized, smiling slightly. ‘I owe her quite a bit.’

“Rupert and Jenny are supposed to be arriving shortly,” Wesley said, looking around the crowd. “And then I suppose the party will really begin.”

“I still can’t believe so many people showed up,” Spike said in disbelief. “Do all of these people actually know Giles, or are they just here for the free food?”

“I know I am,” Gwen laughed, causing everyone else to laugh, too. “So, Buffy, I hear you’re out of the business now?”

“Yeah,” Buffy answered, feeling Spike’s arm wrap around her waist. She settled more into his side. “It was time to move on.”

“Yeah, I’m just about there, too,” Gwen said. Fred nodded in agreement. “You’re a lucky girl, Buffy.”

“I like to think so,” she smiled, and Spike leaned down to lightly kiss her temple. It was as she looked up at him that someone bumped into Spike, causing both of them to look at who it was.

“Oh, sorry, William,” Hank Summers said before looking at the woman beside his employee. “Buffy?”

“Dad?” she asked, shocked. Spike looked between the two and wanted nothing more than to leave immediately.

‘Bloody hell, I’m screwed.’
***************************************************************************

A/N Before you all stone me for leaving it at this, there is a good amount of angst coming up, soon to be followed by some Spuffyness, I swear. Chapter 10 is underway as we speak, so if I get a lot of reviews tonight, it just might be posted before the night is through. I really appreciate all of the reviews I've gotten- it's awesome to log on-line and read them. Thanks again!:)