Author's Chapter Notes:
Feedback is appreciated.
Everyone was quite in the car on the drive to Buffy and Anya's house. The evening, which was supposed to be fun, turned into something serious. Anya didn't like seeing Xander with Cordelia on the dance floor while Buffy and Spike dreaded discussing the fate of their relationship. When the car pulled into the driveway, Xander killed the engine and immediately climbed out of the car to open Anya's door, but she was out of the car before he even had a chance. She hurried up the stone path leading to the front door. He followed and watched her as she closed the door in his face.

"I take it you don't want to talk." He shouted through the door. He looked at Buffy and Spike who were still sitting in the car, wondering why they were still inside. "I wonder what's going on with them." The lonely brunette asked out loud while he got comfortable on the concrete steps.

*~~~*

Buffy watched her upset roommate hurry into the house. "Anya's pissed at Xander."

"Looks like it." Spike replied as he looked out the car window then at Buffy. "So do you want to talk in the car or go inside?"

"Maybe now isn't a good time...Xander looks like he could use his best friend right now...I'll wait in the car."

"I'll be right back." Spike got out of the car and joined Xander on the steps.

Xander looked at his friend.

"Looks like I messed up, huh?" The lonely brunette asked.

"All you did was dance with the bird." Spike recalled what he saw at the Bronze then remembered as he watched Cordelia and Xander dance; there was a moment when the dancing could have been considered dirty dancing. "Except when her ass made contact with your." Spike made a gesture with his eyebrows to refer to Xander's maleness.

"All man...she saw that."

"We all saw it mate and you were certainly enjoying yourself." Spike held his hands up. "Not that I blame you, Cordelia is a sexy bird and your old crush. Does Anya know you use to have a thing for Buffy's best friend?"

"No"

"Well I think you better tell her and reassure her you no longer do."

Xander was quite.

Unnerved by his friends' lack of response, Spike looked at Xander. "Right?" He said, raising his scarred eyebrow.

Xander met his stare with hesitation and swallowed.

"Right?" The blonde asked again.

"Well maybe I have a chance now."

Spike looked back then from side to side. It was a nervous response but he wanted to make sure no one was listening. He slid closer to Xander and whispered. "What are you saying mate...are you telling me you're going to make a play for Cordy again?"

"I'm considering it." Xander whispered.

"If you want my advice, mate...stick with Anya. She really likes you and you two are good together. Cordy's too high maintenance and don't forget how she treated you all those times you asked her out."

"I'm telling you Spike. She was giving me this vibe like it was all good."

Spike chuckled. "I doubt it."

Xander didn't like his best friend's response. "You don't think I can get a girl like Cordelia Chase?"

"Lower your voice." Spike looked back and from side to side again. "I do think she's out of your league and that's only because she likes guys like that pounce Angel and other rich daddy boys."

"So what you're saying is that I should settle for Anya because I can't get anything better."

"You're taking this the wrong way Xander. No one's saying Anya isn't hot...talkative yes...but she's hot...blunt and inconsiderate...yes... but definitely hot...don't screw this up because Cordelia Chase rubbed up against you. Now go in there and patch things up with Anya...be honest with her about Cordy. I think she'll understand."

"I don't know. She's pretty mad at me. Maybe I should let her cool off and then talk to her tomorrow."

"You're probably right but make sure you do." Spike patted Xander on the back. "I need to get back to Buffy."

"Are you guys all right?"

"I hope so. She's been distant since we left the Bronze." I'm going to stay the night so you can go back to the dorm."

"Whatever you say?" Both men stood up and walked towards Xander's car. Spike opened the door for Buffy.

"Goodbye, Xander" She said.

Xander frowned and nodded his head.

"Later mate"

"How is he?" Buffy asked after Xander pulled out of the driveway.

"He'll live. He's going to talk to Anya tomorrow. Do you think you can talk to her on his behalf?"

"And say what...that seeing him and Cordy freaking on the dance floor was a figment of her imagination."

"It wasn't that bad, luv."

"Umm... I forget who I was talking to."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You're a guy. We females see it a whole lot differently."

"How so?"

"One...it was disrespectful...two...they were on a date...three... he made her look stupid and f--?

Spike closed his eyes and nodded his head. "I get it now pet... Let's go inside."

*~~~*

Xander checked the student parking lot for Cordelia's red BMW. After spotting it, he checked his hair and face in the rear view mirror. He decided to confront the brunette about what happened at the Bronze. He took a deep breath and climbed out of the car. He stuck his hands inside his pockets then pulled them out. Xander was nervous as he looked at his watch. Visiting hours would be over in thirty minutes. In passing, he asked an attractive blonde what floor was Cordelia Chase on then he asked for the dorm number. When he arrived on her floor, he looked up and down the empty hall before knocking on her door. He heard her answer.

"It's Xander."

Cordy's eyes and mouth opened at the same time when she heard the name of her unexpected visitor. She thought she was hearing things as she approached her door.

"Who?"

"It's Xan-" She opened the door. "der" He finished.

"What are you doing here?"

Xander was nervous. "I was in the neighborhood and decided to stop by."

Cordy smirked and folded her arms across her chest. "Xander your building is beside mine."

"Can I come in?"

She hesitated. "Okay"

Xander stepped inside, looking around Cordy's room.

The curious brunette got straight to the point. "So what do you want?"

Xander was silent.

She unfolded her arms and held them in front of her. "What?"

"I was. Xander cleared his throat. "I was thinking maybe you and I should go out sometime."

Cordy folded her arms again. "Aren't you dating Anya?"

"Nooo"

Cordy smirked then tilted her head to the side.

"I mean yes but we're not exclusive."

"I don't think that's a good idea. I don't want to cause any problems between you two." The statement Cordy made wasn't completely true since she could have asked Buffy to confirm if Xander and Anya were an item rather than pushing up on him in the club, knowing it could piss Anya off.

"So what was all that about on the dance floor."

"What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean."

"The way you were looking at me and getting all close." Xander shrugged "I got the feeling you were trying to tell me something."

"It was just dancing." Part of the statement was true but Cordy was interested. Not that she would admit that to anyone. Xander wasn't the kind of guy she dated, ever.

Xander let out a fake laugh. "This is dancing." He did his version of the two- step with minimal eye contact. "This" He pulled Cordy up against him and gyrated his hips, staring into her eyes as he smiled. "Is something else?"

Cordy pushed him away. "Don't be silly...it wasn't like that." She lied.

"There's that word again." Xander hated the word silly. He chased after Cordelia during his first two years at SU. He would ask her out every chance he got and when she turned him down, he would ask why. Her answer was always the same. She thought he was silly, which was another word for immature. He tried everything to get her to go out with him. He made her laugh, researched her interests and pretended he was interested in the same things. He displayed chivalry like carrying her book bag for her, opening doors, and even paid for her lunches whenever the two were in the student union and still nothing. When he saw her holding hands and kissing Angel, his world collapsed but he got over it, mostly. He had come into his own at the end of his freshman year. He met Spike who was a year ahead of him. Spike helped him out with his style and the ladies. Xander got rid of his glasses, started dressing cooler, and bulked up while working out with his best friend. His new look and confidence had him walking tall around campus but Cordy didn't notice.

"Well I wouldn't be calling you that if it weren't true." She said turning her back on him to look at herself in the mirror.

Xander didn't like her dismissive behavior like he wasn't in room. He was getting mad and concluding Cordelia Chase played games.

"Oh I get it. I'm not metro sexual enough for you and my parents don't have enough money and let us not forget I look nothing like your 'perfect' Angel. He turned out to be a real winner."

Quickly, Cordy turned around. If looks could kill, Xander would be laid out on her floor. She didn't like being reminded of her failed relationship. She walked up to him, getting in his face.

"Fuck you Xander, you fucking loser" She pointed.

He leaned in closer. "Stuck up bitch!"

"Asshole!"

"Cock tease!"

"Loser!"

"You said that already."

Cordy started to laugh and so did Xander as the two backed off.

"This is not how I pictured this turning out." He said, shaking his head. "I guess we want be going out...huh?" He chuckled.

Cordy laughed again. "No I think we should keep it platonic."

"Platonic it is then" Xander stepped back then turned around, heading for the door. He stopped. "I feel we should shake hands...hug or something."

Cordy rolled her eyes and walked over to Xander. They hugged, patting each other on the back. She was the first to let go. "Now get out...I have an early class in the morning."

"I'm going...goodnight." Xander smiled on his way out the door, closing it behind him and thinking like immature boys do, he had at least got to feel Cordelia Chase's breast pressed up against his chest.

*~~~*

Faith stepped out of her room on her way to see what Cordy wanted earlier and saw Xander leaving her room. She waited until the elevator closed before rushing down the hall to knock on Cordy's door.

Cordy huffed as she approached the door for the second time. "What now Xander?" She opened the door. "Faith" She said.

The curious brunette was sure she knew why Xander was in her friend's room. "I saw Xander leaving. How was it?" The brunette's eyes sparkled as she smiled. She tried to walk into Cordy's room but the angry brunette blocked her entry.

A fake smile formed on her lips. "I'll tell you... if you tell me how it was with Angel?"

Faith stepped back and looked at Cordy's bandaged wrist as if she knew she was about to get hit.

"What happened to your wrist?"

"Don't change the subject bitch...you heard me."

The nervous brunette tried to be charming, giving Cordy her best smile. "Cordy come on... this is Faith you're talking to. I didn't sleep with Angel." She lied.

Cordy mocked her. "All Faith come on...I know exactly who I'm talking to...that's why I asked."

Convinced her soon to be ex-friend wasn't buying her story. Faith confessed. "Okay I did sleep with him but only once."

Cordy had shaken her head. "You know I was prepared to whip your skanky ass. Lucky for you, Angel was the first."

"But you guys were broken up. It was party. Everyone was having a good time and you know Angel he likes to flirt...and one thing led to another and it happened. I'm sorry."

"You're damn right you're sorry. Buffy was right about you. You can't be trusted. I don't want to have anything else to do with you. You're like pollution and its bad for everyone."

Cordy slammed the door in Faith's face.

*~~~*

"What!!!...Let me make sure I heard you correctly. You think we should break up...where the bloody hell is this coming from Buffy!" Spike shouted while pacing back and forth.

The fidgeting blonde watched her angry boyfriend pace back and forth. When he stopped, she attempted to speak again. "I was thinking."

"That's it no more thinking...we are not breaking up." He replied, using his hands for emphasis.

Buffy looked up at Spike. "Spike will you just listen."

"No Buffy...you're talking crazy." Spike started to pace again.

"I was talking to Anya."

"Oh bloody hell...so Anya thinks we should break up and you agree with her." Spike paused then headed for the door. He wanted to talk to Anya.

"Buffy stood up from her chair and approached Spike. "Where are you going?"

"I going to give that meddling bird a piece of my mind!!!" He shouted.

Buffy grabbed Spike's arm. "Will you calm down and lower your voice...other people live here."

"I bloody will not. I'm tired of people telling us what we should do about us."

Buffy crinkled her brow. "Who have you been talking to?"

Spike huffed then seated himself on Buffy's bed. "Xander"

She smirked and rolled her eyes. "So what does the great Xander think?"

"He thinks we should break up too...giving me a headache about me how I want have anytime for you, the whole distance thing and of course all the other women I should be concentrating on...can you believe him? "

Buffy sat beside Spike on the bed and placed her hand on his back. She breathed in and let it out. "That's pretty much what Anya said."

Spike turned to her. "Then let's prove them wrong, luv and forget this nonsense about breaking up. I know we can work it out. You love me...right?"

"Of course I do" She smiled.

"Then enough said"

"So just like that...love conquers and cures all...huh?"

"You bloody damn right it does." He said with confidence.

Buffy was glad Spike had calmed down. Now she could find out what his plans were. "When are you going to withdraw from your classes?"

"If I withdraw now, I can't stay on campus...so I'm going to do it two days before I leave."

"Okay...what about your stuff?"

"I did want to talk to you about that. Do you think it will be all right if I store some of my boxes here? Do you think your roomies would mind?"

"I'll ask them. There is a large storage closet downstairs. There's hardly anything in it. I don't think it would be a problem." Buffy had nervously bit her bottom lip. "So what about when you get back?"

"Ahh...I'll have a few days to myself before I'm expected in Los Angeles. My agent offered to put me up at his place but I'm not too crazy about staying with Ethan. He has some unusual habits and appetites but that's none of my business. It's probably what makes him a damn good agent." Spike shrugged. "I'm sure I'll find something soon."

Buffy didn't like the sound of that, thinking it was best not to ask Spike to elaborate on what he said about Ethan.

"What about me?" This was the question she wanted to ask first but chickened out.

"I know you want to go to graduate school. I was hoping UCLA or Berkeley would be some of your choices."

Buffy was silent. She did want to go to graduate school and thought about going to those schools long before she met Spike.

"What do you think about living together after you graduate?"

She smiled. "I think I would like that very much."

"Then it's settled. We just have to get through this last year with as many telephone calls and visits as possible, until you come out there." Spike grabbed both of Buffy's hands and looked into her eyes. "We can do it luv, I know we can." Spike released the smiling blonde's hands and wrapped his arms around her.

Spike had it all figured out Buffy thought as she melted into his embrace. Listening to him say it with such assurance and enthusiasm, made Buffy want to believe they were going to be fine because love conquers and cures all. Then again, she felt the same way with Riley and their five-year relationship ended with her heart being broken and a gonorrhea scare. Not to mention all of her other friends who tried the distance thing, only to see their relationships end after only a few months. Also, she couldn't leave out her parents who, after spending twenty-five years together, are getting a divorce. She wondered if she and Spike could be the exception?