Author's Chapter Notes:
I know it has been a while since my last update of this story, so here is a recap.

In the last chapter, Anya is pissed at Xander for dirty dancing with Cordy. Later, Xander tries to make a play for Cordy. It's a disaster.

Cordy tells Faith she knows about her and Angel and ends the friendship.

Buffy contemplated breaking up with Spike but he wanted to stay together but Buffy still has doubts.
Xander was sweating profusely. He was on his way to see Anya. After two days of not accepting his calls, she finally agreed to talk to him. He rehearsed his apology over and over again and decided he had it down, but stopped to get her flowers to make his apology that much better. He parked behind Oz's van and turned off the engine. He couldn't get out of the car right away, as he sat there mustering up the courage to face her. He knew he had messed things up with her, but it was Cordy. The girl he had been pining for, for two years. If he had let the opportunity pass, he would have been kicking himself later, but the funny thing was, he wound up doing that anyway because while he was living out his fantasy, he had hurt Anya. Though Xander still liked Cordy, he liked Anya more and after his conversation with the hostile brunette, he knew he didn't have a chance. It was time to move on. Besides, as Spike pointed out, compared to Cordy, Anya was low maintenance, less bitchy, easy to talk to and best of all, she liked him.

Anya waited nervously for Xander to arrive. She kept peeking out of the window every time she heard a car pass by. It had been two days since they last spoke and if it weren't for Buffy, it would have been longer. Xander had to pay for disrespecting her with Cordy of all people. She refused to be made a fool of. That's why she was surprised Buffy suggested she talk to him. No doubt Spike had put her up to it, but Buffy was right. Anya was crazy about the Xan man. Finally, she sat down and began reflecting on that night. She was sure Cordy was deliberately trying to start trouble. It was no secret they didn't like each other. It was obvious from the first day they met. Cordy was a snob and territorial when it came to Buffy and for the life of her, Anya couldn't understand why Buffy was even friends with the bitch. The things alone that came out of the brunette's mouth made Anya want to punch her in it. Like the time Cordy made a nasty comment about her favorite top Anya had purchased from Target and how she further commented that only poor people shopped at discount stores.

There were other things about Cordy that bothered her. Like when the stuck up brunette would turn her nose up at people for no apparent reason and always tried to monopolize Buffy's time away from her other friends. Finally, Anya asked Buffy why she was friends with her and Buffy responded with the typical 'once you get to know her she's not that bad', which confirmed to Anya that Buffy knew her friend could be a stuck up bitch, but she accepted her friend in spite of it.

For Buffy's sake, Anya tried to get along with Cordy. One night she decided to hang out with them and the night was going pretty well or so she thought, until Cordy called her a whore for sleeping with two guys at the same time. Anya didn't think she was deserving of that title because she wasn't the type of person who slept around. She would never forget how it all started. They were all talking about their best sexual experience and it was Anya's turn. She decided to share with them the time she slept with twin brothers. It began as a case of mistaken identity. Her boyfriend and his brother looked so much alike, even their parents still had trouble telling them apart. The only real distinction between the two was that her boyfriend had a mole on his left butt cheek and at that particular time, Anya was too caught up in the moment to check, despite her gut telling her something was different about him. Sexually, he was more aggressive and vocal and it turned her on. They started going at it like animals until her boyfriend walked into the room. To her shock and surprise, he didn't say anything. The wicked smile on his face had said enough, as he began to undress. Anya found herself intrigued by the situation and decided what the hell, she only lived once and went for it.

****

The hostess escorted Cordy and Buffy to their table.

"Wow that was fast. What did you say to her?" Buffy asked. She was sure they had to wait at least an hour for a table in the crowded restaurant.

"You mean what did Andrew Jackson say to her."

"Cordy you didn't."

"I sure did. I learned from the best. My dad does it all the time, but he tips with hundreds."

Buffy giggled and shook her head. She opened her menu, wondering what she was going to order. "Do you know what you're getting?" She asked.

"I'm not that hungry...probably just a salad." Cordy replied.

Buffy looked up. "A salad...after all that shopping we did. I'm starving."

"It's going to have chicken in it."

"Whatever...I'm getting a hamburger with everything and a double order of fries."

The waiter came over. They both looked up at the handsome guy.

"Hello ladies...I'm Justin. I'll be your waiter today. What would you like to drink?"

There was a slight pause before Buffy ordered a coke. She looked at Cordy, who swallowed before replying. Justin was hot. "I'll have a coke too."

"Alright...I'll be right back to take your orders." He smiled and even his teeth were gorgeous.

Buffy and Cordy's eyes followed his ass as he walked away.

"Tight...very tight." The brunette said.

"I bet you can bounce a quarter off it."

They both laughed.

Buffy resumed looking at her menu, giggling. Cordy on the other hand, had stopped laughing. This was what she missed. Being with her friend, shopping, checking out guys and having a good laugh. Tears began to flood her eyes. Too much time had passed and even though it seemed nothing had changed between them, every thing had. She looked at her best friend, sitting across from her.

"Buffy?"

Buffy looked up. Immediately, she noticed the tears in Cordy's eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I'm so sorry for not being the friend I should have been to you." Cordy could no longer hold back her tears.

"Don't cry Cordy...it's only going to make me cry."

The minute Buffy said those words; she started to cry. "I'm sorry for going behind your back. I should've told you."

Cordy picked up her napkin and wiped her eyes and running nose, but she couldn't stop crying. "I missed you so much."

"I've missed you too."

Now they both were crying and sobbing.

"Lets promise right here, right now to never let anything come between us again"

"I promise." Buffy replied. The two stood up and hugged each other then sat down.

The waiter returned with their cokes. Oblivious to the two crying women, he sat their drinks down and pulled out his pad.

"So what will it be la-" He stopped and looked at the cute blonde with the red swollen eyes then to the sexy brunette. She had been crying too. He figured the two women needed some more time and made a quick exit. "I'll come back in few minutes."

Buffy wiped her eyes and nose with her napkin. Cordy continued to do the same. They both looked at the each other then broke out laughing.

"God, look at us...we're a mess" Buffy said.

"I think we scared the waiter off."

"So what...I got my friend back...I love you Cordy."

"I love you too, Buffy"

*****

"So you have a thing for Cordy" Anya stated, staring at Xander with her arms folded across her chest. "I guess there's no accounting for taste."

"Had a thing for Cordy" Xander corrected her.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I know I should have but I didn't think it was that important."

"Not that important" Anya strained her voice. "You know we can't stand each other and that bit of information could have helped me understand the situation a little better."

"I wasn't expecting her to ask me to dance. She never would give me the time of day before, so a part of me that still liked her, jumped at the chance. I wasn't thinking and again I'm sorry for upsetting you."

"Well I accept your apology but it better not happen again because there are no second chances with me, Xander. " Anya's mood was changing. She gave Xander a little smile but then frowned again. "So is she out of your system now or do you still want to "dance" with her ?"

"Yes she is and you're the only one I want in my system. Xander closed the distance between them. He lifted her chin with his index finger. "I'd rather "dance" with you instead."

"Oh is that a fact"

"That's a fact" Xander leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. Anya didn't object. She was glad they had made up, but she still wanted to give Cordy a piece of her mind.

****

"Shut up...you actually saw Kendra going down on her."

"Yes"

"Ewwwww...I knew something wasn't right with them. I hate to bring this up but you remember that time you, Faith and Kendra ran into Spike and me in the student union. Of course, Faith was pissed and I was waiting for her to say something, but when she didn't, that's when I noticed Kendra stroking her arm. It just didn't look right."

"I never suspected a thing. I knew they were together a lot and I heard the rumors but I shrugged it off."

Cordy reached for one of Buffy's fries. "You know Faith slept with Angel."

Buffy almost choked on her food but managed to swallow it. She wiped her mouth. "What!"

"Yep...she fucked my man...well, ex-man but I suspect they were doing it behind my back when he and I were still together."

Buffy smirked and shook her head. She wasn't surprised at all.

"Its okay to say you told me so. Isn't it ironic how I was more worried about you doing that to me and all the while, Faith was the one I needed to worry about. I'm so stupid."

"No you're not...you're just one of those people willing to give other's the benefit of the doubt."

"But you pegged her from the start Buffy and I wished I would have listened to you."

"I wished you would have punched her lights out ,but I think Angel was the more deserving one...what an asshole."

"From now on, I'm dating guys like Xander." Cordy took a sip of her coke.

Buffy arched a brow at her friend. Now was the perfect opportunity to ask Cordy about what occurred the other night. "I'm glad you brought him up. What did you call yourself doing with him on the dance floor?"

"Oh that...nothing" She shrugged.

"I hardly call backing it up on him nothing."

"My favorite song was on and I wanted to dance." Cordy lied and began acting nonchalant.

Buffy kept looking at her. She didn't believe it for a minute.

Cordy knew Buffy wasn't buying it, but she still tried to pretend what she did meant nothing. "What?"

"Come on Cordy...you had your pick in that place and you chose him."

Cordy smiled. "He's gotten a lot cuter in the past year."

"Oh please"

"You don't think Xanfer's cute?"

"Yeah in a dopey immature kind of way, but he's so not your type."

"Well my type has been disappointing me lately and now, maybe I want something different."

Buffy continued to give Cordy that look like she was still full of shit.

The brunette surrendered. "Okay...I kinda do like him and I kinda wanted to piss Anya off too."

"I knew it and yes, you did piss Anya off and you know it wasn't right." Buffy leaned back in her chair and folded her arms. She couldn't picture Xander and Cordelia together. "I can't believe you like him."

"Just a little...but nothing that makes me want to really start pursuing him. I guess I wanted a confidence booster after the whole Angel thing and what better way to get it, then from someone you know is crazy about you. I'm over it now and I'm going to respect the fact that he's with Anya."

"Well I would appreciate that...the last thing I want to do is deal with you two fighting again."

Cordy wanted to change the subject. "So how are you and Spike doing?"

Buffy was surprised by Cordy's question. "We're good. He's going to be leaving for Canada soon. He got a part in a big movie."

"Really...that's good...I always said he could act." Cordy bit her bottom lip. She had come to terms with her best friend's relationship. She was convinced their relationship was going to be nothing more than a fling but she was wrong. Flings lasted about two weeks or a one-month tops. Spike and Buffy had surpassed that. "What's it been ... a year?"

"Almost"

"Wow...you think he's the one?" Cordy probed further.

"I know he is but" Buffy looked down at her drink. It felt weird talking to Cordy about Spike especially after every thing that happened.

"But what?"

"Nothing"

"Come on...we haven't talk in a long time ...well really talked...we need to catch up...I promise I can handle it. I respect you two are together now and I'm happy you've found the one."

Buffy could see Cordy was trying to make an effort by accepting her relationship with Spike. She decided to open up. "I'm worried about what's going to happen to us once he moves to LA."

Cordy nodded her head. "That's understandable but LA is only a four hour drive and its not like he's moving to another state."

"You're right, but I told him I thought we should break up."

Cordy didn't say anything. She felt if she agreed with Buffy, it would appear it was something she wanted to happen because of how she felt about their relationship in the beginning. However, if she disagreed, it would appear as if she was trying too hard for the sake of their friendship.

"Spike wasn't too happy about it. He thinks we can make it work and he wants me to come live with him in LA after I graduate."

Cordy didn't like what she was hearing but she held her tongue. "Really and are you?"

"I want to."

"Really"

"Stop saying that"

"Sorry" Cordy was a little shocked by what Buffy was telling her. "Well what does your heart tell you?"

"Hell that's easy...go, but my head tells me not to follow a man I'm not married to...to another city. It's relationship suicide."

Cordy couldn't hold her tongue anymore. "Then don't"

Buffy looked at Cordy. Her and Anya had something in common. Neither of them thought it was a good idea. She waited for Cordy to continue.

"It's clear you are having some doubts and when it comes down to it Buffy...you always follow your heart and look where it got you with that jerk Riley. Don't make the same mistakes with Spike."

Buffy knew there was no comparison when it came to Spike and Riley. "But Spike is so different from Riley. At least I know where I stand with Spike. He actually wants me and I think we really have something special. We have this connection, this bond that I have never experienced with Riley."

Cordy felt she had said enough. She had learned her lesson in interfering with other people's relationships. She just simply had to be there in case things went bad because that was what friends did for each other and it took her almost losing her best friend to realize that.

The waiter placed the check on the table. "Oh we forgot to tell him separate checks."

"Oh nonsense...I got it." Cordy placed her credit card on the table.

"Thanks, but I got the next one"

They exited the restaurant and climbed into Cordy's car.

"I'm so glad we did this." Buffy said.

"Me too...me too."