Chapter 3

William the Bloody Awful Poet.

Buffy looked at William as he named off all the people in both sides of his family.

So that’s who Spike’s been hiding all these years?

He’s so…cute.

Buffy held back her sigh. She felt like a teenybopper lusting after a celebrity.

God, and it’s only been a day.

“Buffy?”

“Hmmm…”

“Buffy? Buffy!”

“Huh? What?” Buffy was brought back from her thoughts and she blushed, noticing that William and Elizabeth were staring at her. “Um, did I…miss something?”

“I just realized that we forgot a very important thing.”

“What?” Buffy asked in response to Elizabeth’s seriousness.

“Clothing.”

“Clothing, of course—uh, what? Not following.”

“William. How could I have forgotten that? I thought I had everything planned perfectly.” Elizabeth stood and she began pacing. “I wanted to avoid this.” She cursed under breath.

“What?”

“You need to take him out and buy him a few sets of clothing before sundown. He’ll need toiletries as well.”

“You want me to take him shopping?” Buffy grinned at the thought of exposing William to more of modern life.

“Yes, but you have to take special care not to bring him anywhere that Drusilla may be staying. If she were to see him…”

“Oh, she won’t.” Buffy shot up, smiling widely. “And what I buy, it’ll all be covered by the Council’s credit card, right?”
***

“Just stay close to me and everything will be ok.” Buffy considered grabbing onto William’s arm and pulling him through the tourist area but she decided against it.

“Buffy, people…people wear next to nothing in future?” His eyes bugged out as a pair of bikini clad women strolled past him.

“You haven’t seen anything yet, just wait ‘till you get introduced to the thong,” Buffy chuckled, walking faster, making William jog to catch up with her. “Look, let’s go into this store.”
***

“Ah, somehow I don’t think that these clothes are something I’d the like…” William pulled at the gaudy flowered print shirt that Buffy had picked out just for him. “Before I was wearing something more…black. I rather liked that compared to this, this is so…loud.”

“Loud, eh? You don’t say,” Buffy bit her lip to stop herself from laughing. “What would you like to wear? I doubt there’s anything here like the stuff they had back in your day.”

“That’s very true. In many ways.” William skimmed the rack of clothes. “Do you like this?”

“Yeah, I do actually.” Buffy nodded, giving her approval of the white button down shirt. “It’ll look nice on you.”

“Thank you.”

“Gosh, I don’t even have to look at you to know you’re blushing. I can hear you blushing.” Buffy kept her eyes down as she took more clothes off the rack. “That has to be embarrassing.” She gave him the shirts and pushed him into the dressing room. “Hurry, we still have to find you a tooth brush somewhere. Oh and try these on.” She tossed a few pairs of pants over the door.

“Ow!”

“Sorry! Are you--” She laughed and stood tiptoes trying to peek through the slats of the dressing room door and making sure he was alright. She pulled back with a quiet gasp when she saw flashes of bare skin.

“Ok.” Blinking twice, she looked around the store to see if anyone had seen her peeping.

“I’m fine, Buffy,” William answered with a laugh.

“That you are,” she said to herself. She glanced at the entrance of the store, needing somewhere to focus her eyes instead of being tempted to take another look through the door.

“Oh, my God,” she exclaimed in a whisper. “William, let me in!”

“W-why?”

“William!” Buffy banged on the door and put her hand on the knob. “Open it or I will.” When he didn’t respond, Buffy used her strength turn the door, breaking the handle and letting herself into the dressing room.

“Buf--.” William tried to sheik her name, but Buffy held a hand over his mouth.

“Shhh,” she said holding a finger to his lips. “Just stay quiet, ok?”
Buffy grinned, looking down; William was protectively covering his naked torso from Buffy’s eyes. “You can finish getting dressed or changed or whatever, I won’t look… I’ll just be over there,” she innocently pointed to the door. “Until she’s gone.”

“Who?”

“Drusilla.”
***

Her body buzzed as she listened to the ruffling of clothes behind her.

Buffy closed her eyes, briefly picturing the bare thigh she’d been treated seeing to minutes before.

Now that’s just going to kill me…of course there’s nothing under his jeans. Big Bad Spike, why would he wear undies? Must be an ego thing.

Buffy’s eyes popped open when Drusilla and her ugly companion edged closer to the back of the store.

I still don’t get that. She picked antler boy over Spike? Well, he was Spike…

She tried to think up something mean and cruel to say about the vampire but nothing came to mind. Her head was overwhelmed with William.

Buffy held her breath, hearing William zip up his pants.

“Ah, Buffy?”

“Yeah?”

“Help.”

Buffy turned, seeing that William had gotten himself caught in the sweatshirt that he was trying on. “How…?” she paused to giggle quietly. “How did you mange to do this?”

“I don’t know.”

Shaking her head, Buffy walked towards William and decided he was the most adorable creature she’d ever met. “You’re so cute.”

“Well…um…”

“You don’t have to say anything. Ok, the first thing we need to do is free your arms.” Buffy led his arms through the right holes and then she smiled up at him, lightly holding his wrists. “There. Together we conquered the nasty shirt.”

“Thank you.”

“No problem.” She gave his wrists a squeeze. “Let me check to see if the mega bitch is gone. We need to get back.”
***

“It’s your hair that people will recognize the most, so I picked this up.” Buffy put a baseball cap on William’s head. “There, the hat with the sweatshirt will make you look a little different from Spike, at least from a distance.” William grinned and Buffy continued. “And I bought me a sundress too…among other things. Don’t tell Elizabeth.” Buffy winked at him as they walked along the beach making their way back to the lodge. “I figure we can get you shampoo and other stuff at the hotel. Don’t worry, William, we’ll have you smelling good in no time.”

“I smell bad?” William asked but then he looked as if he wished he could take the question back.

“No, you smell fine.”

“You smell like nothing I’ve ever smelled before.”

“William…” Buffy didn’t know what to say.

“Sorry, I know that isn’t something you’d like to hear…from me…but it’s the truth. You smell heavenly Buffy.”

Buffy looked ahead and she silently thanked God for the darkness that successfully covered her blush from William’s eyes.

Shit, maybe his blushing is contagious, she thought. Oh God, he’s still talking…

“And I’ve tried to compare it to flowers and to other lovely scents from back home but my mind stays blank.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing really…just my perfume.”

“Now, don’t be modest, Buffy. It’s you, I know it is.”

“You’re…sweet.” Buffy tried to control her pounding heart. “Did you tell this to all the girls that you hit on back in your day?”

“Buffy, I told you, I didn’t hit anybody. I don’t--.”

“Oh, hey,” Buffy touched his arm after seeing panic in his eyes. “Hitting on people doesn’t exactly mean beating people up, I mean, God, what would’ve they called it? I want to say courting but I don’t know if that’s the right word. Ah, are you telling me things that you told all the girls--.”

“There weren’t any girls. I only have talked to two girls in my lifetime and one is my mother and you now make a third.”

“Was the other girl Drusilla?”

“I don’t know who Drusilla is.”

“Ok,” Buffy paused as they reached the door of the lodge. “Was the other girl your girlfriend?”

“No.” William looked down and Buffy knew someone had hurt him deeply.

“Why don’t you have a girlfriend? I’d think that all the girls would flock to a guy that writes poetry--.”

“Don’t you think if I knew that I’d do something? That I’d change or try to adapt to what they wanted? If I knew what was wrong with me, I’d change in a instant.”

“I…sorry, I--.”

He stepped back and avoided her eyes. “No, I’m sorry. I snapped at you. I was unreasonable. I just…that’s just a question that I’ve been stewing over for years. Buffy, I don’t know why girls don’t like me.”

“William, there’s nothing wrong with you.” She stepped closer and it felt wonderful to see that he didn’t move away. “In fact, I don’t know what’s wrong with girls in the eighteen hundred and whatevers, but I can say that in just one day…I like you. William, I really like you.” She touched his face and William closed his eyes as if savoring her touch. “God, William breathe, don’t pass out on me.”

“I’ve never felt this way before,” William confessed with a sigh.

“I hope it’s a good feeling.” Buffy leaned forward and she kissed him on the cheek. “Let’s go inside.”
***