Buffy woke up feeling content for the first time since she'd been pulled from the book. She looked beside her, smiling at the sight of Spike there. Her lover…her husband…her mate.

She felt different now that the claim had taken place, as if Spike was really a part of her. She could feel his presence, a warm tingle on the edges of her mind. And his love… She could feel that so strongly it almost overwhelmed her. It seemed strange to her that a soulless creature could feel so much, but she'd never doubt it again. Spike's love was strong, and more real that anything she'd ever known in the past.

His eyes opened slowly and he smiled as soon as he saw her. "Good morning, luv," he said, his voice husky, making her tremble.

"It's definitely one of those," Buffy said, snuggling closer to him.

Spike chuckled. "Glad to hear it." Then he gave her a small pout. "No kiss then?"

Buffy responded by grabbing him and pulling him against her lips, kissing him hard. Spike groaned, wrapping his arms tightly around him. When she finally pulled back for air, Buffy grinned. "How was that?"

"Nice start, but I think we could do a little better," Spike replied, rolling her over so she was pinned beneath him.

"So is this how I'm going to wake up every morning?" Buffy asked.

"Will be if I have anything to say about it."

"You have lots to say about it," Buffy promised, reaching up to run her hand along his sharp cheekbone.

"Good," Spike replied, leaning in to nuzzle against the marks he'd made on her neck the night before. Buffy shivered at the contact, her whole body responding to the nearness of her mate. "I hope you know," Spike began, moving his lips up to her ear and whispering hotly, "that I have no intention of letting you out of this bed all day."

Buffy couldn't help the moan that escaped her in response. "Sounds…god, that sounds good."

Spike nipped at her earlobe. "Mmm hmm. I thought so, too."

She pushed gently on his chest until she could see his face again. "But after sundown, we need to go out, okay?"

Spike frowned. "Where? Patrol?"

"No. Though that probably wouldn't be a bad idea… We just…we need to let the others know what's going on."

"You want to tell your friends we're mated?" Spike asked in surprise.

"Well, yeah. I mean, they're gonna notice when we can't keep our hands off each other. And Giles will probably know that these aren't just any bite marks I'm sporting. But also, I need to tell my mom. I can't wait days to tell her her oldest daughter is married."

Despite the fact that getting out of the bed with Buffy sounded like one of the most unappealing things ever in Spike's book, he was thrilled by the idea that she wanted to go public with their relationship. Even with the claim and her talk of wanting to move in with him, he was afraid that she wouldn't want to admit what they had—at least not how serious it was. "So we what, go tell your mum, then call a Scooby meeting?"

"Yeah. Is…is that okay with you? I mean, if you don't want it getting out that you're mated to me, then…"

"What? Why would I not want people to know that?"

"Well, you're already unpopular enough with the demon crowd. This would make it worse."

"Sod them. Any demon tries to harass us, I'll just kill it. Besides, whether we announce it or not, sweetheart, they're gonna know. That's part of a claim. Every demon out there is going to know you're my mate." He snaked his arm behind her back, pulling her against him. "And I'm damn proud of that."

Spike's mouth descended back to her neck, nibbling and licking the marks, and Buffy let herself be swept away in his arms.

*** *** ***

"Oh god, Spike, I'm nervous. Maybe this isn't such a good idea. Maybe we should just go." Buffy turned around, starting to walk off her front porch.

Spike grabbed her arm, pulling her back. "Uh uh, Slayer. We already decided we're telling your mum. And I got out of a nice, comfy bed—complete with naked mate, I might add—for this, so we're going through with it."

"But what if she's not okay with it? I mean, last night, she told me I should be with the person I love, but…"

"Your mum said that?"

"Yeah."

"And she knew that was me?"

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Yes, doofus. Apparently she likes you or something. Anyway, what if she didn't mean it? Or what if knowing I've been claimed by a vampire freaks her out? Or…or what if she's mad we didn't invite her to the wedding?"

"Buffy, kitten, we got married in a mystical book. We couldn't have invited her if we tried. And as for our 'wedding' last night, I don't think that's exactly something you would've wanted your mother there for…"

"Okay, good points there. But…but there's still the claim. She could wig."

"She could. Or she could be incredibly happy for us. How about we go in and find out, yeah?"

Buffy took a deep breath. "Okay. But keep in mind we might have to make a break for it."

Spike chuckled. "I will. But I think it'll be all right." He kissed her forehead. "Joyce just wants you to be happy, pet."

Buffy swallowed, taking her keys out of her pocket. She opened the door, stepping into the foyer. "Mom? Dawn?"

Joyce came in a few moments later. "Buffy? Where have you been all day, I…" She stopped when she saw Spike step inside behind her daughter. "Oh," she said, a knowing look on her face. "I see."

"Mom, Spike and I have something to tell you. And Dawn. Is she here?"

"She's upstairs," Joyce replied. "Why don't the two of you take a seat in the living room, and I'll get her."

Buffy and Spike went into the living room, sitting on the couch. Buffy couldn't believe how nervous she was at the thought of a conversation with her mother. All she could think about was what if Joyce freaked out at the idea of Spike placing a claim on her. Would her mother be able to handle that she'd willingly allowed a vampire to bite her? Would that make her change her mind about accepting Buffy's relationship with Spike?

Spike took her hand, caressing it with his thumb. She felt a wave of calmness wash over her, and she realized it was coming from him. She reached up with her free hand and fingered the marks on her neck. "Is that coming through the claim?"

"Yeah." Spike brought her hand to his mouth, pressing a kiss against her skin. "It's going to be all right, luv. I'm right here."

"I love you, Spike."

"I love you, too."

Joyce came into the living room, Dawn bouncing behind her. "Are you two together?" Dawn asked, running in to sit on the couch next to her sister. "Is that your news? Is it?"

Buffy couldn't help but smile at her little sister's enthusiasm. "Yes, as a matter of fact it is."

Dawn squealed, jumping up to give both Buffy and Spike a hug. "This is great! I knew you two would get together! You're just too perfect a couple not to be! This is the best thing ever!"

"There's a little more," Buffy said. "Mom, you might want to sit down."

Joyce's eyes widened a little. "You're not pregnant, are you? Wait, vampires can't have babies—can they?"

"No, and, um, no," Buffy said.

Joyce sat down in the chair by the couch. "What is it? Dawn, sweetie, calm down." Dawn pouted, flopping back on the couch with her arms crossed.

"Spike and I are, well, we're, um…we're…"

"We're mated, Joyce," Spike supplied, seeing Buffy's difficulty with the word.

"Mated?" Joyce frowned. "I'm sorry, I don't understand."

"Sounds like something you'd hear about on the Discovery Channel," Dawn said, her comment making Buffy blush.

"It's a vampire ritual," Spike said. He tried to think of the best way to explain it to Joyce, and decided to go with the simplest. "It's like a marriage."

"A marriage? You're married to my daughter?"

"In a manner of speaking."

"We were married in the book," Buffy said. "I…I wanted that back. And a claim is what a vampire has in place of a marriage."

Joyce's gaze fell to the marks on Buffy's neck for the first time since Buffy and Spike had come in. "Buffy, are…are you a vampire?"

"No, Mom. I'm not." She gave her mother a small smile. "You didn't have to invite me in, remember?"

Joyce placed a hand against her own neck. "But…"

"The bite was part of the claim," Spike said, his gaze pointed down, unable to look Joyce in the eye.

"Spike, I don't believe I like the idea of you biting my daughter."

"Bet Buffy liked it," Dawn muttered.

"Dawn!" Joyce exclaimed.

"What?" Dawn replied. "Haven't you ever seen a vampire movie? The women are always all swoony when they get bitten by the sexy vampire guy."

Buffy's face reddened further as she and Spike stared at the floor together.

"I don't know about any of this," Joyce said. "I want you to be happy, and if you love Spike, then I can accept you being with him, but bites? Claims? And marriage! I would've liked you to have finished college first."

Buffy looked up. "I am going to finish college. Spike won't stop me from doing that."

"And where are you going to live? This is awfully sudden, Buffy. You haven't planned any of this."

"I know, but…we were going to look for an apartment together," Buffy replied.

"Where? And how will you pay for it?"

"I have money," Spike said. All three pairs of Summers eyes turned to look at him.

"You do?" Buffy asked.

Spike shrugged. "Well, yeah. You can amass a nice little fortune in a century if you play your cards right. And I do mean that in a very literal sense."

"You gamble?" Buffy said with a frown.

"I'm not sure that's a trait I like in a son-in-law," Joyce said, her expression eerily similar to her daughter's.

"I can quit," Spike said. "I have a nice little nest egg saved anyway."

Buffy crossed her arms in front of her. "If you have money, why were you always conning it out of us?"

Spike shrugged. "It was fun."

"Jerk!" Buffy exclaimed, smacking him hard on the arm.

"Oi! That was before. Not like I'm going to do it anymore."

"I think we're forgetting the important issue here," Dawn said loudly. "Spike and Buffy are married. Hey, does that make you my brother-in-law?"

Spike shrugged. "I suppose."

"That's totally cool! I've always wanted a big brother." Dawn shot Buffy a look. "I know it has to be better than having a big sister."

"You are such a brat," Buffy replied.

Joyce sighed heavily, bringing the attention back to her. "Spike, I like you. You're…the nicest vampire I've ever met. And I would've been fine with the two of you dating for a while, at least until Buffy was done with school, but…"

"That wouldn't have been enough, Mom," Buffy cut in. "I know it seems sudden to you, but it isn't to us. We had a whole relationship in that book. We were stranded together on an island for who knows how long. We fought for out lives—and our love—time and time again. And we were married. I pledged myself to him forever. To be with Spike out here in the real world, I had to have all of that again. I couldn't have him be my husband one day and my boyfriend the next. It would've broken my heart."

Joyce looked back and forth between the two blonds sitting on her couch. Their hands were linked together so casually that she wondered if they were even aware of it. It looked like a natural state for both of them, as if there was a connection between them that had to be made physical somehow. And while it would take some getting used to, she could understand what Buffy was saying. "How…how permanent is this claim thing?"

"It's permanent," Spike said. "We're bound. Forever."

"So I guess you're sure this is what you want, Buffy?"

"Positive." Buffy gave Spike's hand a gentle squeeze. "I love Spike. And he loves me. After what we've shared, what we've been through…I couldn't live any other way."

"I won't hurt her, Joyce," Spike said. "Vampires fiercely protect their mates. Buffy is the most important thing in the world to me. Her safety and happiness come before all else."

"And this doesn't change her in any way? No offense to you, Spike, but I don't want my daughter to be a vampire."

"I'd never turn her," Spike said, the conviction in his voice startling Buffy. "I don't want a demon. I want your daughter. Exactly the way she is. The bit the Watchers' Council feeds the Slayers about the human being gone completely from a vampire, that's not true, but it does change a person." He swallowed hard. "I've…I've seen it. I'd never do that to Buffy. I'd dust first."

"They're happy, Mom," Dawn said. "And they love each other. I told you that days ago."

Joyce sighed again. "I can't say I'm completely over the shock of all of this, but…" She stood up, holding her arms out to her daughter. "Congratulations, honey."

Buffy's smile lit up her entire face as she jumped up and embraced her mother. "Thanks, Mom."

"You, too, Spike," Joyce said as Buffy moved out of her arms. Spike moved tentatively, and Joyce pulled him into a hug. "Welcome to the family."

"Thank you, Joyce."

Dawn jumped up, bouncing in place. "This is so awesome!" She hugged both Buffy and Spike again. "I have to call all my friends and tell them my big sister married the coolest guy ever." She ran up the stairs, the door to her room slamming shut moments later.

"I think she likes you," Buffy said with a smirk.

"Yeah, sorta gathered that, ducks."

"So did you two have any plans tonight?" Joyce asked.

"We stopped by the payphone on the way over here to call Giles," Buffy said. "Scooby meeting—to break the news."

"I keep telling her we should do it some other way," Spike said. "Possibly write them a letter from Siberia."

Buffy elbowed her mate. "Shut up, you." She turned to her mother. "He thinks they're going to stake him."

"They better not!" Joyce exclaimed. "I wouldn't appreciate someone staking my son-in-law."

"Thanks, Joyce," Spike said.

Joyce let out a deep breath. "I know you two already had the wedding, and I don't even want to think about what that claiming ritual entailed, but…would you let me throw a reception for you at least? It wouldn't have to be anything big. I just…well, I'm your mother, and I want to have something. Show off my newly-married daughter?"

Spike and Buffy shared a look. Spike nodded, and Buffy looked back at Joyce. "Sure. Just tell us when and where, and we'll be there."

"I can set something up at the gallery Sunday. Save me from having my house full of people."

"Sounds lovely, Joyce," Spike said. "Thank you."

"Well, you better get to your meeting," Joyce said, stepping back slightly from the couple. "Would you like to come over for dinner afterwards?" She looked quickly at Spike, as if suddenly remembering something. "I don't have any blood. But I can keep some in the freezer from now on. For when you visit." Joyce turned to Buffy. "You will be visiting, won't you?"

"Of course we will!" Buffy said. "You'll get sick of us, I promise."

Spike rested his hand on Joyce's arm. "We'd love to come to dinner. And don't worry about not having any blood. I can enjoy a human meal, too."

Joyce smiled. "Okay, good. Although I'm afraid I don't have much in the house. I need to go shopping. I was just thawing some chicken wings when you showed up, but I could…"

Spike's eyes lit up. "Those would be fine."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Spike will be plenty happy with that, Mom. Believe me."

"All right. Then you two meet with Buffy's friends, and I'll make dinner." Joyce hugged Buffy again. "See you soon, honey."

"Okay." Buffy held on to her mother a moment longer. "I love you, Mommy."

"I love you, too, Buffy."

*** *** ***

Buffy stood with Spike on the porch, her fingers laced with his.

"See, kitten, that went well. Nothing to worry about at all."

"Yeah, it did." Buffy looked up at him. "I sorta wish it hadn't."

"Why's that?"

"Because we blew all our luck. I'm starting to think maybe your letter from Siberia idea isn't so bad after all…"

Spike turned her to face him, putting his hands on her shoulders. "Listen to me, Buffy. It may take some time, but your friends are going to accept this."

"What makes you so sure?"

"Because I'm in your life now, Buffy. We're mated. Nothing can change that. If they want to be in your life, too, they're going to have to learn to deal with that."

"But what if it's too much for them? What if it makes them hate me?"

"It won't, kitten. I promise you. Your mates love you."

"Are you positive?" Buffy asked, her voice small.

"Would I lie to you?"

"Probably."

Spike arched his eyebrow. "When do I lie to you?"

Buffy frowned. "Actually, now that you mention it, you tend to be more like brutally honest."

"See?" Spike said. "I'm quite trustworthy. You know, for being evil." Buffy chuckled. "Knew I could get a laugh."

Buffy kissed his cheek. "Let's get this over with. The sooner they know, the sooner we can get on with our life together."

"Then let's go, pet."

*** *** ***

Some people seemed to be under the impression that this story was over with the last chapter. Not sure why, seeing as I never said the story was over, but hey, I guess people want it to be over or something. I don't know. Anyway, despite the fact that this is the longest fanfic I have ever written, it is NOT over. It will be soon, but not yet. When it is, I will tell you. I will state it very clearly. So until then, consider it an unfinished fic.

Also, the reviews dipped significantly last chapter. Were people assuming that it was the end, and therefore it didn't need to be reviewed anymore? Because reviews are more than getting a new chapter soon (although they do help there…) They're showing appreciation to an author for all the hard work that goes into a fic.