Tara stopped short at the door of the Magic Box, watching as Willow took items from the shelves and dumped them in a cardboard box. "You know, the store's closed," she said.

Willow didn't look towards Tara. "I know. I didn't want Anya here when I got these things."

Tara stepped into the store, a scowl on her usually-placid features. "This is about Spike and Buffy, isn't it?"

"Tara, he's done something to her. That claim, or whatever it is, is making it so she can't think straight."

"Buffy's thinking just fine, Willow. As well as anyone in love can think, anyway."

"She can't be in love with him! That book made her all confused, and Spike took advantage of the situation and put some kind of sinister hold on her. I have to make it right again. I have to save Buffy." Willow continued to pull items from the shelves as she talked, never once pausing to face Tara.

"Willow, what are you going to do?"

"I read…I read about a woman who had a claim forced on her by a vampire. A witch made it go away. I can do that, I know I can."

Tara approached Willow then, taking the box out of her hands and setting it down on the counter. "No. You can't do this. It's wrong, Willow."

Willow turned around, her eyes pleading with Tara. "How is it wrong? How is helping Buffy wrong?"

"Because you wouldn't be helping her. You'd be hurting her."

"She told Xander and me that she didn't want to be our friends anymore if we didn't accept Spike. How could that be, Tara?" Willow asked, her eyes filling with tears. "We're her best friends. She can't possibly choose Spike over us!"

"What would you have done if your friends couldn't have accepted our relationship?" Tara asked.

Willow blinked. "This is different."

"Not to Buffy," Tara replied "She loves Spike, and you're telling her it's wrong. Would you have been able to just drop what we have if Xander and Buffy had told you that they couldn't support us being together?"

"It's different!" Willow insisted again. "That would just be them being narrow-minded and judgmental. Spike could hurt Buffy."

Tara shook her head. "No he couldn't."

"He could! He's a vampire. Blood-sucking fiend, remember? And hey, Buffy's the Slayer, so hurting her—pretty high up on his to-do list."

"Willow, I tried to tell you this the other night, but you wouldn't listen to me. I've seen their auras together. It's real love. And that claim, well, I don't really fully understand what it is either, but I know it wasn't something forced. Buffy and Spike are both very happy with what's between them. And they are in love. It's coming off them so strongly…" Tara reached out and took Willow's hand. "You'd see that if you looked at this with your heart."

"But he's a vampire…"

"I know. But I also know what I saw when I looked at them together. It was beautiful, Willow." Tara turned her gaze on the box of magic supplies. "If you do this, you've lost Buffy. She'll never forgive you for trying to interfere this way." Tara paused, then added softly. "I'm not sure if I could either."

Willow's eyes widened in shock. "Tara, what are you saying?"

Tara took a deep breath and turned her eyes back to Willow. "I'm saying that if you would do this to someone, you're not the person I thought you were. You're not the type of person I could be with."

"Tara…"

"I'm serious, Willow. Spike and Buffy…you shouldn't interfere. Especially not like this. It's wrong. Very, very wrong."

"I'm worried about her," Willow said, her voice small.

"I know. Spike won't hurt her. But if you do this, you will." Tara gave the hand she was still holding a gentle squeeze. "Let's just go home, okay?"

Willow looked back and forth between Tara and the box, the conflict warring on her face. Finally, her shoulders slumped. "Let's go."

The couple walked out of the store, hand in hand, the box still resting on the counter.

*** *** ***

Spike couldn't help but grin when he saw how happy Buffy was. She was practically glowing as the woman showing them the apartment stepped out for a moment to let them think it over.

"I love it," Buffy said, taking hold of both of Spike's hands. "I want to live here."

"Me, too," Spike said, his grin widening.

"This room we're in right now, this is going to be our living room." Buffy pulled one hand out of his, pointing. "And that. That's going to be our kitchen."

Spike tugged on the hand he was still holding, pulling her against him. "And that room in there will be our bedroom," he said nodding towards the room in question.

Buffy's smile turned into one that reminded Spike of the Cheshire cat. "Complete with our bed."

Spike shivered. "I like the sound of that."

"Good," Buffy said as she jumped back. "So let's sign the lease or whatever so we can start having sex in every room."

Spike threw his head back and laughed. "God, woman, I love you."

"I love you, too." Buffy kept her hand entwined with his as they walked back into the hallway outside the apartment.

"So what did you and your husband decide?" the woman asked Buffy as she saw them approach.

Buffy felt warmth flood her insides at the sound of someone calling Spike her husband. So what if her friends couldn't accept it? The rest of the world could. "It's exactly what we're looking for," Buffy replied.

The woman smiled. "I'm happy to hear it. It's so nice, seeing a young couple just starting out."

Buffy smiled even more brightly as she felt Spike's arm wrap around her shoulders. "So what do we have to do?" Spike asked.

"We can go down to the office and fill out the forms," the woman replied. "Just follow me."

Spike and Buffy kept their hands linked as they walked down the hall towards the next step of starting their new life together.

*** *** ***

Xander didn't understand any of this. Buffy had threatened to stop being friends with both him and Willow, and Anya wasn't talking to him. All because of Spike? It didn't make sense. Spike was just a monster. Why would anyone want to take the side of a monster?

But there was still hope. Willow had said she thought she could break the claim. Then the hold Spike had on Buffy would be gone. Buffy would probably even finally get around to staking him after what he'd done to her. Then she'd be grateful to her friends for saving her from such a fate. And Anya would have to forgive him, too, once she saw he'd been right the entire time. Everything would be back to the way it should be.

When he heard a knock at the door, Xander jumped out of his chair, running to open it and finding it to be Willow, as he'd hoped. "Did you do it?" Xander asked quickly as he ushered Willow in.

"I can't," Willow replied.

"Why not? Did the Magic Box not have the right ingredients?"

"No, they were there, but I can't, Xander."

"What? What are you talking about? You're a powerful witch. I'm sure you can break any spell Spike put on her," Xander said in confusion.

"A claim isn't a spell. It's something else. And I don't mean I can't physically do it, it's just that…" Willow took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I was in the Magic Box getting the supplies for the spell when Tara came in. We talked, and…and what she said made sense, Xander. What if this is what Buffy really wants, what can really make her happy, and we take it away from her?"

"This is Spike we're talking about here, Willow," Xander replied. "He's not good for Buffy. Not like Riley was. She might as well have decided to throw herself at Angelus!"

"But what if he really loves her? Tara said from what she could see of their auras, it looks like real love…"

"I can't accept that! Willow, just look at who it is. It's Spike. He's an evil blood-sucking fiend. All this is is some sort of trick. Probably part of a way to get around the chip and kill Buffy. You saw that mark on her neck."

"I don't think so. He would've killed her already if that were the case. Spike—not big with the patience."

"I can't believe you're saying this!" Xander exclaimed, throwing up his hands. "We agreed that we'd do this."

"I know, but…"

"There can't be any 'buts,' Willow. Buffy's in trouble."

"I thought so, too, but now…I'm not so sure she is."

"Willow…"

Willow held up her hands. "No. I'm sorry, Xander. Like I told you when I got here, I can't."

"Buffy's our friend."

"I know. That's why I can't do this." Willow went back towards the door, pausing only for a moment to apologize to Xander again before leaving.

Xander didn't go after her. If Willow wasn't prepared to do what needed to be done, then he'd find someone who was.

*** *** ***

"I can't say I'm particularly surprised to see you here," Giles said as he opened his front door to Xander. "Only I'm afraid that it's a wasted trip because I'm going to tell you no."

Xander blinked, still standing outside the Watcher's apartment. "No? You do realize I'm here about Spike and Buffy, don't you?"

"Yes. Which is precisely why I'm telling you no."

"I don't believe this! First Willow backed out on me and now you're refusing to help me do anything?"

Giles stiffened. "What did Willow 'back out' of?"

"She found a spell that supposedly undid a vampiric claim that was forced on a girl once. We thought it might help Buffy, but…"

"It wouldn't have helped," Giles said quickly, cutting Xander off. "That claim isn't forced—it's been reciprocated. Nothing can break it, and you'd be a fool to try."

"Then we need to get rid of Spike. He can't have some sort of 'claim' on Buffy if he's dust."

"Yes, he can. Killing Spike would cause Buffy both mental and physical anguish."

"Won't she get over it?"

Giles's jaw tightened. "It's quite common for someone to end their own life within days—if not hours—of the death of their mate. Usually if they keep going at all, it is simply to take revenge on the mate's killer."

"Giles, there's no way Buffy would kill us and then herself."

"There is if we kill Spike."

"This doesn't make any sense!" Xander exclaimed. "Why would Buffy willingly let Spike do this to her?"

"I don't know, but it's not a decision she can take back. She's bound herself to Spike—forever."

Xander's eyes widened. "Forever? That can't be…."

"It is. Linking herself with Spike made her as immortal as he is."

"Giles…"

"Go home, Xander," Giles said as he shut the door, leaving Xander on his own again.

*** *** ***

Sorry this chapter is so short, but it's nearing the end of the fic, and the last few scenes I have planned fit better as their own chapter.

There's one more chapter left after this one, so please review. Reviews were down last chapter…

Also, thanks to Mandi (vampkiss) generously giving me the space and Holly helping me with graphics and coding, I've been able to move from my crummy little angelfire site to a new, much better site. You can check it out here: http://www.dark-desire.org/blood