A couple of days later, it was July 4th, and Willow, Tara, William, and Buffy found themselves on a local beach, waiting for the fireworks to start. Tara and Willow had decided to try dating, and Willow was happy that her friends were so supportive of the new relationship. The two couples were seated on separate blankets, chatting about summer and school. Buffy was cradled in William’s arms while he sat behind her and rested his chin on her shoulder. For the first time in years, she felt comfortable being held so close by a man, and she knew that staying with William was going to be nonnegotiable at summer’s end.

‘I can’t imagine being with anyone else,’ she thought. ‘He’s perfect for me and makes me feel safe.’ She smiled to herself. ‘And he makes me happy, happier than I’ve ever been before.’ Buffy snuggled against William more, sighing contently.

“What’s wrong, pet?” he asked quietly. “Are you cold?” She shook her head.

“I just like when you hold me,” she answered, smiling. He kissed her temple and returned her smile.

“You two are just so cute,” Willow practically gushed, beaming at the two blondes. “I wish I had my camera.”

“Red, I think you’ve already taken about two rolls of just us,” William replied jokingly. “We’ve got enough, thanks.”

“You can never take too many pictures,” Willow said. “They chronicle certain events in life that you aren’t likely to remember when you’re old and gray.”

“Which will be about ten years for you, right, honey?” Buffy asked, looking at William and grinning. He playfully scowled and began to tickle her. She shrieked and attempted to fight back, but it was a worthless effort- he was too strong. “Uncle! Please? I give up.” He chuckled and kissed her for a moment before pulling back to look into her eyes. “Will?”

“You’re so beautiful,” he said quietly, loud enough for only her to hear. She blushed and ducked her head. “Are Buffy and I ever going to see half of the pictures you’ve taken of us?”

“Of course,” Willow replied, smiling. “I’m thinking of making a book for your wedding day.” Buffy raised an eyebrow as she looked at her friend before she felt William’s hold on her tighten slightly.

“Whatever you say,” William said, shifting his focus to the ocean. Buffy looked at him with a funny expression, but he just smiled. “What?”

“Nothing,” she answered, deciding not to delve into a deep subject matter like getting married.

‘Tonight’s about having fun with close friends and my boyfriend,’ she thought. ‘Absolutely no talk of the distant future. And I’m going to have a nice little chat with Willow later about the wedding day comment she made.’ Buffy paused. ‘Which didn’t seem to faze William at all.’

Overhead, fireworks began to be deployed into the night sky, and it was around then that Buffy realized she’d never been happier than she was at that exact moment. She had everything she wanted, and there was no way she was going to let it go.

* * *

After the fireworks finished, all four of them left and split up. Willow went to Tara’s apartment, and William drove Buffy back to her house, relishing every moment he had alone with her. When he pulled up in her driveway, she looked at him hesitantly, trying to mask her nervousness.

“You know, my mom is out of town this weekend,” she said quietly, and William looked at her, trying to figure out if she meant what he thought she did. “You could stay over tonight…I mean, if you want to.”

‘Of course I want to,’ he thought. ‘There’s nothing I’d like more than to spend a night with Buffy.’ He sighed. ‘But I don’t know if that’s a good idea. Things could happen, and I don’t know if she’s ready for that. If we’re both ready for that.’ He noticed the hurt look in her eyes.

‘He doesn’t want me, does he?’ she asked herself, looking outside quickly, trying to hold back the tears that were forming in her eyes.

“Sure,” he answered, and she looked at him, surprised. “If you’d like me to stay, then I will.” She smiled and leaned over to kiss him before opening her car door and getting out. He parked the car, locked it, and followed her to her door. She let them inside and locked it behind them before going to the kitchen. “Buffy?” She turned around and looked at him. “Are you sure you want me to stay?”

“Yes,” she answered, returning to him and wrapping her arms around his waist. He smiled at her and kissed her forehead. “William?” He looked into her eyes. “I love you.” Time stood still for him, his mind trying to process those three little words she had said to him. When he didn’t respond, Buffy instantly became uncertain, wishing she hadn’t said anything. She tried pulling away from him, but he wouldn’t let her. “I shouldn’t have…I’m so stupid.”

“No, you’re not,” he said quietly, resting his forehead against hers and smiling. “I love you, too.” She looked at him, a tear escaping her eye. “I love you so much, kitten. I’ve never felt this way before about anybody, Buffy. Never.” She kissed him, inwardly wishing that she’d never have to let him go.

“I’ve never felt like this either,” she replied, looking into his eyes. “Will, can we…” He raised an eyebrow as she took his hand in hers, lightly pulling him towards the stairs.

“Buffy,” he said, looking at her. “Are you sure about this?” She saw the skeptical look in his eyes and began to doubt herself. “I would think that after the dream you’ve had countless times involving me, you wouldn’t want to do this.” She squeezed his hand.

“You’re not the man in my dream,” she said, looking at him. “You’ve proven to me that you aren’t, and I trust you.” She got to the stairs and walked up them, leading him to her bedroom. He took a deep breath as he entered the room, knowing for sure that everything would change between them after that night.

* * *

It didn’t take long for the couple to end up lying in bed, both half-nude, kissing and exploring each other’s bodies. To her surprise, William’s body was slightly different than the man in her dream.

‘He’s more muscular,’ she thought happily. ‘A muscular teddy bear.’ He nuzzled his face into her neck, kissing the crook of it.

“I love you so much, Buffy,” he whispered, unbuttoning her shorts and slowly sliding the zipper down. “I’m never going to let you go.” He felt her tense up beneath him, and when he looked at her, it was obvious that she was emotionally shutting down, a blank look in her eyes. “Buffy?”

‘I’m never going to let you go,’ she said to herself, the words replaying in her head. The exact same words she had heard numerous times before. The same ones that she heard before she woke up in the morning, terrified. The ones that surely would never escape her memory.
***************************************************************************


A/N There definitely is angst in the upcoming chapter, along with at least one fight, but not necessarily between Buffy and Spike (that’s the only hint I’m giving). I hope people liked this chapter because sadly enough, it was hard for me to write. I don’t like when problems arise in happy relationships, but they are a part of life, and this piece was never meant to be light and fluffy. Also, I didn’t want to focus so much on the potential sex scene because the magnitude of his words was supposed to play a bigger role in this chapter. Please review, and if I get loads of them, maybe I’ll post chapter 12 tonight:)