“Buffy?” William repeated, becoming even more concerned while Buffy remained somewhat catatonic. She began blinking rapidly as her eyes filled with tears, and she bolted upright, getting out of her bed and grabbing her shirt, pulling it on. “Luv? What’s going on?”

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly. “I can’t do this.” He sat up and leaned back on her pillows, watching her as she started pacing around the room.

“Okay, pet,” he replied. “We don’t need to do anything tonight. We can talk, or sleep, or-”

“I don’t want to sleep,” she mumbled, looking outside.

‘The dream is ruining my life,’ she thought. ‘I mean, it was bad before, but now it’s really bad. Tonight could’ve been amazing, but no- I had to remember it. And it’s not his fault he said what he did, but I can’t help but revert back to the dream. It’s just too much.’

“Then we won’t sleep, luv,” he said. “We can talk, okay?” She looked at him sadly.

“Maybe it’s just better if you leave,” she replied. He stood up and slowly walked over to her, but as he tried to embrace her, she took a step back, not wanting to be touched.

“Buffy?” he asked, both confused and hurt by her actions. “Talk to me, baby. What’s going on?”

“The dream,” she said simply, looking away. “You said something that triggered a flashback, and I…I need to think.” She looked at him and saw the sadness swirling in his eyes. “I’m sorry, William.”

“It’s okay,” he said, taking a deep breath. “But maybe talking about things will help.”

“I don’t know,” she said. “But I think I need to be alone for a while.” He nodded and went back to her bed, grabbing his T-shirt off of the floor and putting it on. “But maybe I can see you tomorrow?” He looked at her.

“Sure,” he answered. “But if you need to talk to someone before then, call me.” She nodded, looking down. “I don’t know how to help you, Buffy, and I know that for the last few years, that dream has terrified you.” She looked at him. “But I’d do anything to make it stop and to show you that not all men are monsters.”

“I know,” she said, walking over to him. “I know you’re not a bad guy, Will. It’s just…I can’t shake the dream.”

“We’ll find a way to make it stop,” he said, taking one of her hands in his and bringing it up to his lips, lightly kissing the back of it. “I should probably head out and let you think.” She nodded, and they walked down the stairs and to her front door. He opened it and looked at her. “Will you be alright tonight?”

“I hope so,” she answered. “And thank you for what you said up there- it means a lot that you care so much.”

“Always,” he replied, leaning down and kissing her softly. “I love you, Buffy.”

“I love you, too, William,” she said, looking into his eyes. He gave her a small smile before walking out, closing the door behind him. He went back to Willow’s house and laid down on his bed, staring at the ceiling.

‘I need to help her,’ he thought. ‘I just don’t know how.’

* * *

When Willow returned home the next morning, she promptly went to see William, curious to hear what had happened the night before. She found him sitting on his windowsill, looking outside.

“Hi,” she said quietly, and he turned to look at her. She noticed how sad he seemed. “What’s wrong?”

“Something happened with Buffy last night,” he answered. She raised an eyebrow, becoming worried. “It has to do with the dream she has.” Willow walked over to him and sat on the floor beside him. “I can’t figure out a way to make it stop.”

“I don’t want to sound like a hussy or anything,” Willow said with a light tone. “But maybe sleeping together will do the trick.” He looked outside again.

“We tried that,” he said, and she blushed. “Well, not exactly. We were about to, but she freaked out after I said something that reminded her of the dream.”

“It will go away,” she said, trying to be helpful. “It has to. Something will happen to make it stop- I know it will.”

“I hope so,” he said forlornly. “Because I can’t stand to see her hurting anymore over it.” Willow saw sincerity in his eyes and couldn’t help but hug him. “I just don’t know what to do, Red.” He sighed. “Maybe there’s something more from her past that’s causing it, something she didn’t tell me.”

“I don’t really know what it would be,” Willow said. “Her dad didn’t do anything to her, and he wasn’t around much, so I don’t think this stems from him at all. The last guy she dated was supposedly a sweetheart, and I highly doubt he did anything wrong. She was with Angel for a while, but I don’t think it’s him, either. It has to be Parker Abrams.” William looked at her, upset that he hadn’t figured it out earlier.

“She dated Parker Abrams?” he asked, and Willow nodded.

“Didn’t she tell you?” she asked, slightly surprised.

“She said she dated a guy named Parker, but I guess I never put it together,” he said, his mind buzzing. “It’s all his fault, Willow. It has to be.”

“Yeah, I think so,” she agreed. “But it doesn’t make sense why she’s still having the dream, and the bigger question is, why does the guy she dreams about look exactly like you?”

“Because fate intervened and is playing a really fucked up trick on us,” he practically growled, frustrated. “I can’t just sit here and pretend like this is nothing. Something has to be done.” He stood up and walked to the door, grabbing his keys on the way.

“What’re you going to do?” she asked, standing up and walking towards him. He looked at her.

“I’m going to have a little chat with the source of the problem,” he said, turning on his heel and leaving. She watched him go and leaned against the doorframe.

‘This isn’t going to end well.’

* * *

William knew that Parker was taking a summer class because he had seen him walking around campus several times. He didn’t know what he was going to do or say when he found him, but he needed to figure out some things, and if that meant doing something rash, he would.

‘He tried raping Buffy,’ he said to himself. ‘He deserves whatever he gets.’ William was walking through the Commons and spotted a brown-haired guy talking with a blonde female at one of the tables and instantly headed in that direction. As he neared, he found that it was indeed Parker and began walking quicker. As luck would have it, the girl got up and walked away, giving William a chance to cut in before Parker could follow her.

“Hello, Parker,” William said, grabbing his arm and stopping him. Parker raised an eyebrow.

“Do I know you?” he asked, confused. William nodded, not letting go of his arm. “Oh yeah, I’ve seen you hang out with Willow Rosenberg a couple of times. She’s a cutie. Are you two dating?”

“No,” William said, trying to keep his tone calm. “I’m actually dating Buffy Summers. I hear you know her.” Parker smiled broadly, nodding.

“Sure, I know Buffy,” he replied. “Her and I dated a long time ago. She’s a sweet girl. A little clingy, but she was a good girlfriend.”

“Yeah, she’s a great girlfriend,” William agreed, smiling. “But I’ve been told you weren’t a good boyfriend.”

“What’re you talking about?” Parker asked, slightly confused. “I was always good to her.”

“Right,” William nodded. “You were ‘good to her’ when you tried raping her?” Parker instantly frowned, looking somewhat pale. “You tried forcing yourself on a girl that wasn’t ready, Parker. That makes you kind of a monster, doesn’t it?” Parker tried wrenching his arm out of William’s grasp, but William’s hold only tightened. “I have a vendetta against guys like you, you wanker. There’s nothing I’d like to do more than castrate you.”

“Get away from me,” Parker said, pushing William. William grabbed Parker’s neck with his free hand, not applying enough pressure to do any damage, but just enough to make Parker panic.

“You didn’t deserve a girl like Buffy, and because of you, she has a lot of emotional problems that she’s dealing with,” William said in a low tone. “I could kill you for what you tried doing to her, what lasting affects you’ve had on her. It’s because of you that she won’t let herself get close to a man. She tries so hard, but it doesn’t work. You’re the reason my girl is hurting, and I think it’s time you pay for that.”

“Yeah, and what do you want me to do?” Parker managed to ask, his voice cracking slightly.

“You’re going to see her with me, and you’re going to apologize,” William said sternly.

“What if I don’t especially feel like it?” Parker asked sharply. William clenched his fist and instantly punched Parker’s eye, getting the other man to yelp in pain before his hands flew up to cover his eye.

“Then you’ll get a matching black eye,” William replied, grabbing Parker’s arm tighter and pulling him to his car.
***************************************************************************


A/N Okay, I know I said I'd post this last night, but I had something come up. So, as an apology, I'm posting this chapter earlier than normal. Thank you to everyone who reviewed chapter 11- I'm very grateful for the messages you all leave me:) I promise that there will be a little more angst in the upcoming chapter, and possibly a little more violence (on Parker, of course- don't worry). But I like happy endings, and this story will definitely have one. I'd wager I have about 5 or so chapters left, so if anyone has things they want to see happen, just tell me. As usual, I dig reviews, so please leave me one:)