It took Buffy over an hour to get the courage to go to her friend’s house. She knew that the least she could do was give William a chance, especially since Willow seemed so certain that he was a good man.

‘Willow wouldn’t let some jerk live with her for the summer,’ Buffy thought. ‘And just because he’s insane and evil in my dreams doesn’t mean that he’s like that in real life. For all I know, he could be a big, fluffy puppy on the inside.’ She giggled to herself and got dressed in jeans and a tank top before driving to Willow’s house. After pulling into the driveway and giving herself a mental pep talk, she went to the door and rang the doorbell. She heard voices on the other side of the door before it opened, William on the other side of it. Buffy caught herself staring at his bruised nose, her hand moving to cover her mouth as she gasped. ‘I did that! What’s wrong with me?’ She paused. ‘You’re letting your dreams take over your life, that’s what’s wrong. Get a grip, Buffy.’ She gave him a sheepish smile.

“Hi,” she said. “I’m so sorry about what happened before. I wigged out and didn’t think before… I hit you.”

“It’s okay,” he replied, noticing a slight blush to her cheeks. “I’m sorry for scaring you. I didn’t mean to- I just wanted to walk you home.” She didn’t bother to mask her surprise as she smiled at him.

“Really?” she asked. He nodded, looking down so she wouldn’t see that he, too, was blushing a little. “How about a rain-check?” He looked at her and smirked. “And I’ll be sure not to punch you.”

“Sure,” he replied. “The offer stands for another time then.” She saw Willow walking towards them.

“Going to stand outside all night?” Willow asked, noticing that the two blondes seemed to be hitting it off somewhat.

‘At least Buffy seems kind of comfortable around him,’ she thought, looking at how her friend was looking at William. ‘Maybe things won’t be so bad after all.’ William ushered Buffy inside and led the two girls into the living room before sitting down on the couch.

“So, I thought we could have a movie night, if that’s okay,” Willow said, walking over to her DVD player and TV.

“Sure, I could use a laid-back night,” Buffy said, sitting on a recliner that was beside the couch. William looked at her and tried not to show the small amount of hurt he felt.

‘It would’ve been nice for her to sit with me,’ he thought. ‘But then again, I wouldn’t want to sit next to a stranger, especially one that I hit.’ He smiled to himself and saw her fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

“You alright, luv?” he asked quietly. She looked at him and nodded hesitantly before looking at her friend.

“So, what movie are we going to watch?” Buffy asked, hoping that William didn’t pick up on the hint of nervousness in her voice.

“I don’t know- should we watch a chick flick?” Willow asked, scouring through a stack of DVDs.

“Over my dead body,” William replied quickly, his eyes wide.

“I think that can be arranged,” Willow replied, smiling at him. “Maybe Buffy can knock you unconscious this time.” Buffy looked at her friend in disbelief. “I’m only kidding! Don’t freak out on me, okay?”

“You’re lucky you’re my best friend,” Buffy replied, crossing her arms. “Otherwise I’d punch you, too.” The two friends exchanged smiles before Willow pulled a DVD out of its case. “So? What’s the movie?”

“It’s a surprise,” Willow said, putting the DVD in the player and starting it. She sat on the couch next to William and turned off the lights as the movie began.

“‘Sleeping Beauty’?” William asked, shocked, staring at the redhead. Buffy raised an eyebrow before glaring at her friend.

“You’re cruel, Willow,” Buffy said sadly, slumping down in her seat. William looked at her with a confused expression, but Buffy just stared at the TV screen, upset.

* * *

When the movie ended, William looked over at Buffy and frowned. Her eyes were focused on the now black TV screen, and she didn’t seem responsive at all. He snapped his fingers in front of her eyes, and she blinked before looking at him.

“Huh? Did you say something?” she asked, looking between William and Willow.

“No,” he answered. “Are you okay, pet?” She looked at Willow and shook her head slightly.

“I think I’m going to go home,” she said, standing up. William did, too, and followed her to the front door. Willow watched the two with an odd expression. When Buffy opened the door, William gently placed a hand on her shoulder. She turned to look at him.

“Is everything alright?” he asked her quietly, seeing the anxiety in her eyes.

“I’m just tired,” she answered, looking away quickly. “Again, I’m sorry about your nose.”

“It’s okay,” he replied, tilting his head as he studied her. “Can we maybe hang out again sometime?”

“I don’t know,” she answered, looking at her car. “I’ll think about it.” He frowned. “I’m sorry, William.” She looked at him one last time before going to her car and getting in before speeding off. He shut the door and looked at Willow with a somewhat angry expression.

“What’s going on?” he asked, crossing his arms. She looked down and sighed. “Going to explain to me why she was catatonic there for a moment and why she seemed upset by your film choice?”

“It’s really not for me to tell you,” she answered, getting up and going to the stairs.

“Can you at least give me a hint?” he asked. She looked at him sadly.

“I guess you could say that you’re the man of her dreams,” she answered. “Well, I think nightmares would be the better word there.” He raised an eyebrow, confused. “That’s all I can tell you.”

“Nightmares?” he asked as she began walking up the steps. “That involve me?”

“Yeah,” she said quietly, looking at him when she got to the top landing. “She’ll talk to you about it when she’s ready.” She paused. “Probably.” She went into her bedroom and shut the door. William stared at the door for a while before going to his room and sitting down on his bed.

‘I don’t understand any of this,’ he thought. ‘I need to talk to Buffy. Now.’
***************************************************************************


A/N Since my mom is doing well, I decided to write and post this chapter tonight. I'm sure a lot of people will recognize this chapter's title since it's a Nirvana song. The story's title actually comes from a line of "Sleep To Dream" by Fiona Apple in case you were wondering LOL. I know Willow's character seems a little...different in this story, but I wanted to break the stereotypical mold of her for this. I suppose I might have ended this with a cliffhanger, but no worries- chapter 5 will be posted tomorrow/Wednesday. I hope everyone liked this chapter, and reviews make me smile!:)