“I…what?” William asked quietly, staring at her in shock, appealing paler than normal. “I do what to you?”

“You rape me,” Buffy repeated, looking at him and seeing the confusion and worry in his eyes. “I don’t want to talk about this anymore.” She stood up and walked to the door, but he got to his feet and grabbed her forearm to stop her. “Please let me go.”

“I think we should talk about this more,” he replied, and she turned to face him.

“Yeah, you’re right,” she said. “But it’s getting late, and I…I just want to go inside.”

“Luv, if you’re having dreams about me…doing that to you, then we should talk it out,” he suggested firmly. “You know, maybe figure out why they started in the first place or why it’s me.”

“I don’t know why it’s you!” she said loudly, looking at him. “They started after the Parker incident, and they haven’t stopped. Just when I think that they have, I dream it again. It doesn’t stop, and as far as I’m concerned, they never will. I have no idea why it’s you in particular, and I don’t get it at all, but I doubt there’s an explanation, and I don’t want to waste my time sitting outside talking about something that makes me so uncomfortable.” She sighed and looked away. “Especially when it’s you that is involved.”

“But it isn’t me!” he replied exasperatedly, throwing his arms up. “The guy in your dream may look like me, but it isn’t actually me. I would never do something like that, Buffy. I’m not like that.” She looked at him. “Pet, I’m a good man. I don’t know how to make you believe me, but I’m not the guy that you think I am.”

“I don’t know what to think,” she said sadly. “But Willow trusts you, so that’s saying something.” He frowned. “I don’t want to judge you because of the dream, William, I really don’t. But I can’t help but think-”

“I know,” he replied, sounding defeated, looking down. “I guess I understand.” She took a hesitant step towards him and tilted his chin up so that he’d look at her.

“You’re here for the next couple of months, living with my best friend,” she began. “It’s not like I can hide from you, William.” She paused. “And I don’t think that I want to.” He raised an eyebrow. “I mean, you seem nice, and I’m willing to learn more about you. I think that I’d like to try being friends.” She smiled slightly. “Okay?”

“Really?” he asked, sounding surprised. “I mean, I understand if you don’t want-”

“Trying to talk me out of it?” she asked, giving him a dazzling smile. He grinned.

“Just double-checking that you’re sure,” he said. “Not that you look back on it one day and regret your decision.”

“The only reason why I’d regret it is if you do something wrong,” she said, opening her door. He put his hand on her bare shoulder, which sent tingles running through both of them.

“I won’t give you a reason to regret it then,” he promised. She nodded and took a step inside. “I should head back to Willow’s. Goodnight, Buffy.” He turned and walked down the porch stairs before he heard her.

“William?” she asked quietly. He turned to look at her again. “I don’t think you’re a monster or evil- I’m just skittish about guys, and the dream doesn’t really help matters much. I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting around you.” She frowned. “And for punching you.” He smirked.

“You’re forgiven, pet,” he said. “I understand.”

“Goodnight then, William,” she replied, watching him walk away.

‘You’re doing the right thing, Buffy,’ she said to herself. ‘Everyone deserves a chance, especially a man who seems to care.’ She paused. ‘And it’s not like I’ve known too many of them as it is.’ She closed the front door behind her and went up to her bedroom. ‘Just please do not let me have the dream tonight.’

* * *

William returned to Willow’s and went up to his room, shutting the door and sitting on his bed, looking out the window with a smile on his face. He heard a quiet knock before the door opened, allowing Willow to peek in.

“Hey,” she said, letting herself in and closing the door again. “So, how’d it go?”

“Well, we talked about some things,” he answered. “The men she’s had in her life, who, by the way, sound like wankers, and the dream.” Willow sat beside him.

“Did that go okay?” she asked, sounding worried. He shrugged.

“I don’t understand how I can be in her dreams, especially if they started that long ago,” he said, looking at his friend. “And the thought that I hurt her scares me.” She rested her hand on his back as he looked outside again. “You know I’m not like that, Red. I don’t hurt people, especially girls.”

“I know,” she agreed. “You’re a good person, William. If you weren’t, I wouldn’t have let you stay here.” She smiled. “And the fact that you make awesome hot chocolate is just a bonus.” He smiled. “I trust you with her, and that’s something I haven’t been able to say about too many guys before.” He looked at her. “Just don’t give me a reason to kick you out or beat you over the head with a shovel, okay?”

“I’d like to see you try,” he replied, grinning. She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

“I’ll have you know that I can be quite feisty, thank you,” she said, sticking her chin up defiantly. He chuckled and watched her stand up, walking to his door. “So what happens from here between you two?”

“We’re friends,” he answered, smiling. She returned the smile and nodded, going to her room.

‘And I can’t bollocks it up,’ he said to himself. ‘She’s giving me a chance- I can’t screw it up. I owe her that much.’
***************************************************************************


A/N So here’s the latest situation- the story could potentially end here. But the choice is yours, gentle reviewers. Do you want more, or would you like me to do the sequel of Just a Job right away? Tell me what you’d like to see because frankly, I’ll do either. I'd prefer to continue with this one because I’ve got some pretty good ideas for more chapters while I don’t really have any for Just a Job, but if there’s enough call for it, then I’ll work on it. Please review and tell me what you think! Thanks!:)