Buffy and William went to the local mall together several days after the movie by themselves while Willow hung out with Oz at band practice. After going through several stores, Buffy had accumulated quite a few bags, all of which William carried, not complaining once.

“Aren’t those getting heavy?” she asked. “I can carry them, Will. I’m not as feeble as I may look.”

“I don’t doubt it,” he replied. “But I’m fine, really.” She smiled at him. “So, are you doing anything tonight?”

“No, not that I know of,” she answered, looking at a display of shoes through a store’s window. “Why?”

“Well, Red mentioned that she was going out somewhere with Oz, and I’m not doing anything,” he began, and Buffy turned her attention to him.

‘Is he trying to ask me out on a date?’ she asked herself, trying not to smile at how shy he seemed suddenly.

“Would you maybe want to do something?” he asked, looking down, fearing she’d reject him.

“Sure,” she answered, and he looked at her, smiling. “Like a date?”

“A date?” he asked, raising an eyebrow before smirking. “Do you want it to be?”

‘No,’ she thought. ‘Yes.’ She paused. ‘I don’t know, maybe.’ She sighed. ‘I don’t see why not. He’s been really great to me, and I should give him a chance, right? Maybe Buffy and guys can mix again and not implode, self-destruct.’

“Sure,” she finally answered, and his smile grew. “What did you want to do?”

“Well, I guess I hadn’t put much thought into it,” he replied. “I didn’t really expect you to agree to going anywhere with me.” She frowned.

“Why not?” she asked, heading towards the exit of the mall.

“I didn’t know if you’d feel comfortable or not if it was just us two,” he said quietly, looking away from her.

“If I didn’t feel comfortable, I wouldn’t be here with you right now,” she pointed out, smiling. He looked at her and chuckled.

“Yeah, I hadn’t even thought of that,” he replied, getting her to giggle. “I love when you do that.” She blushed and ducked her head. “So, where would you like to go tonight?”

“We could go to the miniature golf place on the edge of town,” she suggested. “I’m not terribly good at it, but sometimes it’s amusing.” He looked at her.

“Should I trust you with a metal golf club around me?” he asked jokingly.

“I’d be more afraid of the ball,” she laughed. “Because nine times out of ten, I end up hitting it too hard, and it flies off the green, and the last time I went there with Willow, she ended up leaving with bruises on her legs.” He laughed as she began pouting. “It’s not funny.”

“Oh, pouty, look at that lip,” he said, smiling at her. She blushed again.

‘God, that’s so endearing,’ he thought.

“Or how about bowling?” she asked, looking at him. He raised an eyebrow.

“Weren’t you just telling me I should beware of you playing a sport with a ball?” he asked.

“Are golf and bowling considered sports?” she asked, tilting her head. He shrugged. “Besides, I can control a bowling ball much more than a golf ball.”

“Probably because it’s heavier,” he replied, and she nodded. “Is that what you want to do then?”

“If you’re up for it, too,” she said. He smiled. “Then that’s what we’re doing.” They walked outside and to her car. “I even have my own bowling shoes.” He smirked.

“Are you serious?” he asked. She looked at him with a smile.

“Yep,” she answered. “Willow and I used to go all of the time in high school, so we bought matching shoes. I think I’ve only worn them twice, but they were a steal.”

“I’m sure they were,” he chuckled, and she playfully swatted his arm. “Hey! I just carried about twenty pounds of bags for you.” She smiled and rubbed the spot where she hit him before leaning up to lightly kiss his cheek. He raised an eyebrow before smiling at her, noticing that she was slightly blushing again. “Feel free to hit me all you want, kitten, if that’s how you’ll repay me.” She giggled and opened the trunk of her car, letting him put all of her bags inside before closing it. They got into her car, and as she started it, Buffy couldn’t help but look at him with a smile.

“So, we’re going out bowling tonight?” she asked. He looked at her and grinned.

“Yep, with your shoes,” he answered. The two laughed as she drove away, and surprisingly, Buffy wasn’t nearly as anxious about going out with him as she thought she’d be.

* * *

“I can’t believe you know how to bowl so well,” Buffy said as the two left the bowling alley later on that night. “I mean, how many strikes can a person get in one game?”

“Should’ve known you’d underestimate me,” he laughed. She smiled and shook her head in disbelief.

“Did you bowl back in London?” she asked. “I didn’t even know the game existed there.” They got to her car, and she tossed her shoes in the backseat before starting the engine.

“Did you have fun tonight?” he asked hesitantly, and she smiled widely at him.

“Of course! I didn’t go bowling at all over the last year, so it was nice to be back,” she answered before pausing. “Didn’t you?”

“Yeah, but then again, I kicked your ass,” he grinned, and she laughed.

“Wait until next time- I’m going to practice more and show you that I’m a swell bowler,” she replied, heading towards Willow’s house.

“Well, you do have your own shoes,” he pointed out, chuckling. She pouted and looked at him. “I have no doubt that you’re a good bowler, luv. You did an exceptional job tonight.”

“It just wasn’t good enough apparently,” she replied, shrugging. He put his hand on hers while it was resting on the steering wheel. She looked at him, surprised.

“It was more than good enough,” he said, gently squeezing her hand. She smiled as he brought her hand to his lips and kissed the back of it before lacing her fingers with his and resting their interlocked hands in the space between their two seats. She grinned and focused on the road as she drove, arriving all too soon in front of Willow’s house. They both got out, walking to the front door in awkward silence. “Do you want to come in? Red might be home.” Buffy smiled softly before looking at her watch.

“I think I should probably head home,” she answered. “I have an early morning tomorrow. Mom wants me to help her clean out the attic.” He nodded and looked down. “But I had a really nice time tonight. We should do stuff like this more often.” He looked at her and smiled.

“Yeah, I’d like that,” he said, his hand moving up on its own volition to slightly caress her cheek. She gently pressed her cheek into his hand, shutting her eyes for a moment. It was in that second when he leaned down and gave her a chaste kiss before backing off a little to see her reaction. Buffy’s eyes opened slowly, focusing on his as she smiled.

“Goodnight, William,” she said quietly, taking a small step back.

“Goodnight, Buffy,” he said, watching her go to her car and get in. As she drove away, he finally allowed himself to grin.

‘I’d say I’m making progress, aren’t I?’ he thought. ‘Maybe I’ll get the girl after all.’
***************************************************************************


A/N Shockingly, I finished writing this chapter fairly quick, so I'm posting it early:) I hope people liked their first kiss (albeit a minor one), and I'd appreciate reviews/suggestions!