A couple of weeks passed, and Buffy found herself growing more attached to William every time they went out somewhere or spent time together. While she was picking out clothes for the night one afternoon, her mom came in and sat on her bed, watching her daughter hold up clothes and make faces at them before tossing them into a pile on the ground.

“Don’t tell me you need a whole new wardrobe to impress somebody,” Joyce joked, smiling. Buffy looked at her mom and blushed.

“When did you get in here?” she asked. “I didn’t notice, sorry.”

“It’s okay,” her mother replied. “You seemed pretty preoccupied with your clothing.”

“I just don’t know what to wear tonight,” Buffy responded, putting her hands on her hips and staring at the clothes left in her closet. “Oz’s band is playing, and I feel like William’s seen me wear all of this already.”

“So, when do I get to meet this boy you’re so smitten with?” Joyce asked, noticing her daughter blush more.

“You want to meet him?” Buffy asked sheepishly, looking at her mom. Joyce nodded. “Well, you see…”

“I don’t see why not,” Joyce said. “I’d like to make sure he’s a good guy for you. You know, a stable one who isn’t pierced, tattooed, and doesn’t go by the name Snake or Spike or something else odd.” Buffy laughed and spotted a black mini-skirt that she used to love wearing in high school. She grabbed it and held it up to look at before deciding it would work perfectly.

“He’s a good guy, mom,” Buffy said. “He’s sweet, and intelligent, and he’s just…wonderful.” Joyce saw the dreamy look in her daughter’s eyes and smiled warmly.

‘That’s a sure sign of young love,’ she thought, happy that her daughter finally seemed content in a relationship.

“So when do I get to meet Mr. Wonderful then?” Joyce asked. “He’s been your boyfriend for-”

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Buffy cut in quickly, and Joyce raised an eyebrow. “Him and I’ve never really discussed the dating thing. We just go out to places and have fun together.”

“So you’re dating then?” Joyce laughed, and Buffy shot her mother a look.

“I don’t know,” she answered before trying to shoo her mother out of the room. “Now leave so I can try to look pretty.”

“You always look pretty, dear,” Joyce said. “But I expect to meet this boy tonight, okay?”

“Yes, Mom,” Buffy replied, closing her bedroom door and leaning back against it.

‘If he meets Mom, he might assume it’s serious between us,’ she thought. ‘Is it serious? Are we seriously dating?’ She shut her eyes. ‘She raised too many questions…thanks, Mom.’

* * *

When the doorbell rang at seven that night, Joyce intervened before Buffy got downstairs and opened the door. William was waiting there patiently and looked at the older woman, surprised.

“You must be the infamous William,” Joyce said, extending a hand. He smiled and shook it.

“And you must be Mrs. Summers,” he replied. She opened the door wider to let him inside.

“You can call me Joyce,” she said. He stepped in and watched as Buffy walked down the stairs.

‘How is it that she always looks so beautiful?’ he asked himself. ‘And could her skirt be any shorter? Not that I’m complaining…she’s got a fabulous set of legs.’ Buffy smirked as she watched him appraise her outfit.

“Hello, Will,” she said quietly, snapping him out of his trance. He looked at her and smiled.

“Hi,” he replied. “I was just meeting your lovely mum.” Joyce smiled at him before looking at her daughter.

“You two are heading to the Bronze?” she asked, and Buffy nodded. “Well, have fun. And try not to come home too late, okay?”

“I promise to have her home early,” William said, winking at Joyce. She smiled and watched as the couple went to the door.

“Have a good night, kids,” she said. “And it was nice to finally meet you, William.”

“You, too, Joyce,” he said. Buffy and William walked outside and to his car. “She’s a nice lady.”

“Yeah, she really is,” Buffy smiled. He opened her car door for her. “And I think she likes you, too.” William smiled and closed the door after Buffy got in before going to the driver’s side and getting in.

“I hope I see her again sometime,” he said, and Buffy looked at him.

“Well, if you play your cards right, you probably will,” she said, smirking. He chuckled and began to drive to the Bronze.

* * *

After a fairly long set by Oz’s band, Buffy and William separated from Willow and Oz to head home. As they were driving to Buffy’s house, she remembered what her mother had said to her that afternoon.

“William?” Buffy asked hesitantly, looking at him. He looked at her for a moment before his eyes returned to the road. “Are we dating?” He smiled slightly.

“Do you want us to be?” he asked, looking at her again after coming to a stoplight, noticing that she was blushing.

“Well, yeah,” she answered quietly, and he chuckled. “What’s so funny?”

“You’re adorable, do you know that?” he asked, putting his hand on hers, which was resting on her thigh.

“So we’re dating then?” she asked, lacing her fingers with his.

“Looks like you’ve got a boyfriend,” he replied, grinning at her. She giggled.

“Looks like you’ve got a girlfriend,” she said, leaning over to kiss him. He grazed her cheek with his free hand and smiled. A car honked behind them, and the couple started laughing before he continued to drive to her house. “William?”

“Yes, luv?” he asked, looking at her for a brief moment before pulling up in front of her house.

“Thank you,” she said quietly, looking at him. He raised an eyebrow, smiling.

“For what?” he asked. She leaned over to give him a good-bye kiss.

“For everything,” she answered simply before letting herself out of the car. He watched her walk inside before driving back to Willow’s. She was sitting in the living room, talking with Oz.

“So, how is everything going?” she asked excitedly.

“She’s my girlfriend,” William answered, grinning. Willow clapped, squealing. “Settle down, Red. It’s not like her and I are getting married or something.”

‘Although I probably wouldn’t object,’ he thought. ‘After I get to know her more.’ He paused. ‘Buffy in a white wedding dress…bad thoughts, William.’

“But this is a big step,” Willow replied. “First comes dating, then falling in love, then getting engaged, then marriage, then children…”

“Slow down,” William said, holding his hand up. “We’re just dating for now.”

“For now,” Willow agreed, smiling.
***************************************************************************


A/N I don’t necessarily believe that falling in love comes after dating…sometimes it comes before then. I just wanted to address that before someone brings it upJ I know that things seem well and fine for the blonde couple right now, but it’s only a matter of time before the angst kicks in and problems arise, trust me. I hope everyone liked this chapter, and as usual, reviews make me giggle, so please leave one!