A/N – This part almost got tacked on to the end of Part Five because very little plot lies within. But the last chapter got a bit long, so here we are – nice little filler chapter for ya. (And maybe some smut.) Thank you again to my wonderful beta readers, slackerace and desoto_hia783.

Recap – We left off last time with Buffy, Giles, and Spike having a disagreement. Buffy stormed off, up the stairs.

------------------------------------

Part Six – Uncertainties

When Spike reached the landing at the top of the stairs, he didn’t find Buffy like he’d hoped. Instead he saw a bundle of aggravated Slayers talking animatedly outside the bathroom door.

“I can’t believe she kicked us out!” exclaimed Kennedy, trying to scrub off the remains of a pea-green facemask with a tiny washcloth. “It’s not like she was out there all night like we were.”

“What’s going on?” Spike quietly asked Rona, who stood on the outskirts of the group, shifting a toothbrush back and forth in her mouth.

“Buffy kicked us out of the bathroom,” she answered, eying Spike with new interest – as if she’d just realized that he was a vampire, and she was now a Slayer. “She looked pretty mad.”

Before Spike could respond, a bleary-eyed Willow popped her head out of her bedroom door. “Some of us are trying to sleep here. Move it, or lose it! And I mean that literally.”

“You heard her, guys,” said Kennedy, throwing her dirty washcloth against the bathroom door with a thud. “Let’s just go to bed.”

Spike waited until the noisy throng had relocated themselves elsewhere before he knocked on the bathroom door. “Buffy? Come on, love, let me in.”

He didn’t really expect a response, but to his surprise, the lock on the door released a moment later. Spike entered before she could change her mind and locked the door behind him. The shower was running in the background, and Buffy was stepping out of her sweatpants. Her face was blotchy with the threat of tears. “If you so much as mention Giles, I’m kicking you out,” she muttered.

“Wasn’t even thinking about it,” he replied, watching with interest as she bent over to retrieve her favorite shampoo from its hiding place beneath the sink. “Okay, maybe I was thinking about it a little – but I know better now, yeah?” He strolled up to her with a naughty smile and ran his hand lightly down her back. “Come on, lighten up. He just needed to get a little steam out. I think maybe you do, too. Any way I can help relieve some of that tension?” He tugged her close and dipped his head for a kiss.

“Would you please brush your teeth?” Buffy groaned, turning her head aside. “No way am I kissing you after you ate that ancient macaroni.”

“Kill-joy,” muttered Spike teasingly as he released her. He rummaged through a cabinet until he found a large bottle of mouthwash. He took a sizable swig, swished it around furiously for a few seconds, and then swallowed the entire mouthful with a loud ahhhh. Screwing the cap back on the mouthwash, he smiled smugly and asked, “Better?”

Buffy gaped. “Do you enjoy grossing me out?”

“How was that gross?”

“You’re not supposed to swallow it.”

Spike frowned at the label. “Oh. Never knew that. Well, that explains a lot.”

Rolling her eyes, Buffy pulled her t-shirt over her head and muttered, “I don’t want to know.” Carefully, she unwrapped the bandage from around her middle and eyed the almost identical wounds on her back and stomach in the mirror. Aside from a little redness, they were almost completely healed. When she glanced up, Spike was frowning deeply.

“That sword punctured you all the way through?” he asked. Though impossible for someone without a soul, she thought he sounded a little guilty, perhaps for handling her so roughly earlier in the bedroom.

She nodded in response to his question. Then without looking back to see if he had anything further to say, Buffy stepped out of her panties, threw back the shower curtain, and moved under the scalding flow of water. Though she closed the curtain firmly behind her, Spike predictably entered the shower a few moments later, having rid himself of his clothing.

His fingers lightly traced her hips from behind. “Never taken a shower together before.”

“I’m not in the mood, Spike,” she whispered, closing her eyes wearily as he licked a trail of water droplets from her shoulder.

“I know,” he replied, picking up a bar of soap. “Doesn’t mean I can’t watch, does it? Maybe lend a hand while I’m at it?”

A moment later, she felt his soapy hands on the small of her back. She knew he was quietly inspecting her injury for himself since she wasn’t inclined to talk about it. In time, his fingers worked their way around to the front of her belly to find the exit wound. Buffy felt minutely better when she realized his ministrations, however careful, didn’t hurt one bit. She would have to remember to thank Willow the next day for the speedy healing.

“Look pet,” he said in a low voice, “I know you don’t want to talk about it, but I don’t like seeing you so down. It was the bit Rupert said about that bird Angelus killed that upset you, wasn’t it? I heard him from the kitchen.”

“Her name was Jenny Calendar,” said Buffy emptily. “She was murdered because I couldn’t bring myself to take care of Angelus. I let him run around killing and doing who knows what else for weeks, Spike. You should know – you were there. I couldn’t see past the fact that I loved him.”

“So Giles thinks you’re doing the same thing with me, does he?”

Buffy stared hard at the shower wall. “Is he right?”

Spike pushed her wet hair over one shoulder so he could kiss the side of her neck. “No, he’s not. Number one, I’m not out killing anyone. Number two, I’m way more stable than Angel could ever hope to be – even with my crazy-in-the-basement stint factored in. And number three, you don’t love me – so ‘taking care’ of me if I mess up isn’t really a problem, is it?”

She spun around, eyes brimming with angry tears. “Do you really think I feel so little for you? It would kill me if you died, you … you jerk.” She shoved him back lightly but heatedly.

Surprised by the intensity behind her words, he fell into a thoughtful silence. He gently massaged her shoulders with his soapy hands as she regained control over her emotions. A moment later, he added quietly, “I’m just saying, the two situations aren’t the same – so you shouldn’t feel guilty.”

Says the vampire with no conscience, she thought silently.

“Easier said than done,” she whispered as she watched the water swirl down the drain.

“Want me to wash your hair?” asked Spike, sensing a change in the subject would be beneficial to them both.

“I’m a big girl,” she said with a shake of her head. “I can do it.”

“Doesn’t have anything to do with you being able to do it or not.” He picked up the bottle of shampoo. “Please? We both know I’m not above begging, Slayer,” he added teasingly.

Rolling her eyes, she pushed her hair back over her shoulders so he could access it easier. “All right. Geez, you’re pathetic.”

“You love it,” he said with a smile.

She shivered involuntarily when she felt his hands tangle in her hair, palms thick with fragrant shampoo. It took a moment for the strangeness of the situation to fade away into something more comfortable and sensuous. One thing could be said about Spike – he knew how to use his hands. As he worked the shampoo into her hair, his clever fingers managed to ease away every bit of tension in her neck and even down her shoulders. Lips forming a soft smile, her eyes drifted shut in contentment.

“Like that, baby?” he murmured.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, she realized Spike was probably the only person in the world who could call her ‘baby’ and make it sound sexy instead of something from a bad Patrick Swayze movie. “Yeah. Feels nice.”

Gentle hands guided her under the water flow to rinse the shampoo out. Afterwards, he worked the cream rinse she’d handed him into her hair, and she found herself shivering yet again. She marveled that he was able to make her feel so aroused just by the simple act of touching her hair. As he combed his fingers through her locks, she picked up the bar of soap and turned to face him. Reaching her arms around him, she ran soapy hands down the muscled length of his back and decided she liked showering with Spike very much. It was the perfect excuse to touch every inch of him – and that was exactly what she planned on doing.

Eyes glinting at her adoringly, he guided her back under the water to rinse out the conditioner. When she emerged, he smiled and leaned down for a wet kiss.

Buffy licked her lips. “Mmmm, you’re all minty fresh.”

“Oughta be. Been misreading mouthwash directions for decades.”

He grinned when he heard her giggle, a sound he’d not heard in months. Slipping her arms around his neck, she pulled him down for another kiss, longer this time with more intent lingering behind it. Every trace of her worried thoughts had obviously fled for the moment, leaving other things on her mind. Spike’s eyebrows rose when he felt one of her hands slide down his chest and lower. Pulling away from the kiss, he smirked mischievously and said, “Still not in the mood, huh? Well, I should probably just slip out of here then, and let you finish your shower in peace.”

“Don’t you dare,” she said, bringing his lips back to hers before his laughter had a chance to ring out. She moaned approvingly as he trickled one hand up her side and moved to cup her breast in his palm. He rubbed slow circles around her nipple with his thumb while his other hand slipped between her legs.

“Now,” she breathed against his mouth. “I’m ready.”

With a shake of his head, he evaded her grasp for his erection and stooped to his knees. She gasped as he splashed hot water onto her pussy and then slowly licked every drop off. His tongue lightly traced the slit of her opening, purposely ignoring her clitoris until she gripped his hair and held him against her. He chuckled and found her sweet spot, kissing the warm flesh around it like he would kiss her mouth – wet, open-mouthed kisses that made her writhe. His hands encouraged her to spread wider for him as he tongued her. She moaned as he splashed her again with water followed by a series of slow licks – and then he did it again and again until she was close to screaming. A small part of her mind was warning her to keep quiet, but for the life of her, she couldn’t remember why silence was a good thing.

After what seemed like forever, he placed his hands firmly on her waist and picked her up. She wrapped her legs around his hips as he pressed her against the shower wall, bending his head to slowly lick droplets of water off of her breasts. She reached between them and wasted no time in guiding his erection to her entrance.

Pressing forward until he was snugly inside her, Spike caught her earlobe playfully between his teeth. “Reminds me of the first time we made love.”

Gasping as Spike began a slow, steady pace, flashes came to Buffy’s mind of him pressing her up against the wall of a collapsing building – thrusting in and out of her at the same sharp angle. “Don’t talk about that,” she said breathlessly. “This isn’t last year. I don’t want what we had then.”

“No arguments here, but let’s not let the memories spoil our fun, yeah? Know you like this position.”

“Can we please stop talking?” she begged, digging her fingernails into his back when he hit a particularly good spot.

Spike chuckled. “For once I won’t take that as an insult.”

Conversation dwindled after that, and both became lost in the moment. He was right, she realized – she did like this position. She enjoyed that he was able to hold her up without the slightest bit of effort. After spending so much of her life being the strong one, sometimes it was nice to feel small and delicate – just so long as Spike knew in the end who was boss, of course.

Foreheads resting against each other, they moved together, not in perfect unison but in an unfocused, grinding desperation that had them both gasping for more. Pale blue eyes fixed her with a stare that she found she couldn’t break – didn’t want to break. More was said between them during that gaze than with all the words they’d ever spoken to each other. For the moment, nothing else existed.

The brooding Watcher downstairs, troubled by thoughts of a missing soul and a seduced Slayer, was the farthest thing from their minds.

----------------

To be continued.

A/N – I trust everyone has picked up on my use of water symbolism in this story, right? You’ll definitely see it again. :)