The Captain ant the Crew

By Cara





They all sat at a big table under deck. Elizabeth felt surprisingly good with the rude company. Her friends took their time but finally they relaxed and chatted with the pirates.



Elizabeth wasn’t very interested in the adventures which were told and so she decided to go on deck to catch fresh air.



She walked the short distance to the railing and watched the waves and the deep blue water move. The moon was bright and the stars could clearly be seen.



She could still hear the story that was told by some member of the crew.



"So there we were. In the middle of the fleet. We thought there was no way out and then the first ship of the English fleet fired. We thought we were lost and then the captain screamed we should give up. So we did. They stopped firing and their captain came to us. And then, the moment he was on board, we killed him and then...."



Elizabeth had her look far away as suddenly someone touched her shoulder.



She whirled around and kicked the hand away.



"Hey, cool down kitten. It’s just me." It was William and he had a big smile on his lips.



He obviously liked it to frighten her.



"Oh,...what do you want?!" Beth was immediately defensive.



"Wonderful, isn’t it?" William asked as he walked to her side and stared at the ocean and the nightly sky.



In the low light he just looked gorgeous. His blue eyes were hypnotize.



"Yeah it really is. I must say I’m not too sad that I met you. I mean the wedding and ..., well I think I have to thank you for killing my crew." she said with lots of sarcasm.



"Why are you against this wedding? The most noble girls at your age are just crazy about getting married." William asked thoughtfully.



"I’m not like the most girls. I’m, ...let’s say ...I don’t want to be this naive. I’m my own master. I don’t need a man to be a full person." Beth said.



William laughed and smiled sweet at her. She was beautiful. In the moonlight she looked like an angel. Her long, blond hair fell over her shoulders and her eyes shone in the brightest green he had ever seen.



"And why is that so?" Beth was confused. Why did he talk to her like that?



"`Cause my mother told me that before my father killed her."



"WHAT?!" William was shocked.



"Well, my mother died. And I don’t believe that it was all natural. My father wanted to have a new wife because my mother was like me. A rebel. And that surely wasn’t, what he wanted. He wants a wife that is quiet and let him lead her."



William had a smile on his face. "Oh, well, that is a good thinking. A woman that is, let’s say, submissive, is just awful. Not like you. I like your fire, it has something."



Beth smiled at him. "Really? I mean that is nice from you that you say it, I mean." she was embarrassed.



What was up with her she never was embarrassed before. But there was this wonderful man. And when she now looked at him there was a strange feeling in her tummy.



She didn’t know what to do so she just stared at the ocean. She listened to the pirate that was telling his story again:



"So he was in this cell and would be executed the next day. We knew there was no way to rescue him. When we woke up and went to the execution there was a big hole in the wall of the cell. The guard reported to the Commodore that the prisoner escaped.

And when we came back here there he was. At the rudder. And what happened was that a big whale jumped into the wall of the prison and rescued William. You can believe this or not, but...."



Beth looked at William. "What happened really?"



William smiled. "Just what Antonio told your friends."



Both knew that it was a lie but it was a nice little story.



"Where did you get your crew?" Beth wanted to know it. She was curious and pirates had always fascinated her.



"Well from over all." William answered.



"Oh come on tell me. I want to know where exactly and how you had become the captain."





William turned to Beth and took her hand. "Come on then let’s sit down, ´cause it’s a long story if you want every detail."



They walked to a bench and William started his story.



"Well let’s start at the top. Xander is my best friend. We are friends since we are kids and later he, of course came with me when I left my parent’s house.



Clement I got to know at Shark Island. You know where it is?"



Beth nodded "It is the Island which is really scary ´cause thousands of sharks are there and you should watch your hand when you want a little bit water to cool your body down."



William smiled at her, ´cause of her explanation.



"Yeah right. Well, I fell into the water and was close to getting eaten by one of the sharks and Clem rescued me. He is on of the best men when you have to face a big monster of a shark. So well we became friends and he came on board. So I had a ship and two men. I really needed a crew. So we..."



Beth stopped him. "Sorry but, where did you get your ship?"



William smiled and it was a really cocky smile. "Well there was this pirate. He wanted a fight so I said, just to make it more interesting, if he would win he would get the money I had. And that was a lot of money. And if I would win I would get his ship. Well and I won. So, where was I..."



Beth was too curious "How did you win?"



William took a deep breath. This girl was just too cute. "Well we fought and when he tried to kick me with his foot I stepped to the site and he fell into the water. And unfortunately there was a big shark in the water and he was hungry so, well, I won."



Will made a break and waited for some comment from her. But when she remind silent he went on with his story.



"So well we sailed to Turgato. Iota big ..."



"Pirate city. I read about it. It sounds great, well you know..." Beth trailed off as she noticed his amused smile.



"Go on. I think it is really great there, too.... Should I go on?"



At Beth's nod he went on. "We went there and I let some of my old friends there know that I needed a crew. Well actually I told that to Antonio and he got Smith, you know that young boy and Gibbson, he is the wisest man you can find in the whole Caribbean.

Well, who else?

Yeah there is John. He is a good fighter, I’m happy that he is still with us. And there is our joker, Mel. That guy who made the jokes at dinner. Well those were the best from Turgato so we sailed to the next Island.



Monderas´ Island. There we got Brian, you know, the man with the parrot and Jack he is the guy who cooked. That is something he is really good at.

Then we got Jason. He is just unbelievable. He has a girl in every city we’ve ever been.

And the quiet guy is Nathon. He is a really good sailor.



Well after that I wanted some action so we started our pirate carrier and our way brought us back to Shark Island. There we met Christchen, from Royal´s Harbour, he is so good with the maps that I added him to the crew.

He brought Andrew with him. He is from James Town. He is the guy with the dread-locks.

Well and he told me that there was a really good canonier in town. So I got to know Mc, the guy with just one eye, and I won him for my crew, too. He is from Shark Island but wasn’t there since he was five years old.



Next we needed to lay in stocks and I went to a marked. There I met Alex and I convinced him to come with us. He is a good trader. You should really go shopping with him.

And when Lucius, one of my most loyal men, started a fight with Jack I took him with me. He and Jack are always in a fight.

Well and that’s how I got my crew. .....Elizabeth? Beth...Kitten?"



Beth was so lost in him that she hadn’t realized that he had finished his story and was now watching her with a worried look.



"What... oh. Well that was a really interesting story. If you excuse me now, I’m really tired." Beth stood up and turned to go.



"Let me walk you to my cabin."



Beth turned with a shocked look. "Why your cabin?"



William smiled. "Because I don’t suppose you want to sleep with the crew. And my cabin is the only one you can sleep in without someone creeping under your cover and fondling you. But if you want..."



Beth smiled but then flipped back to serious. "Ok, ok. But you won’t touch me. Is that clear?"



Will walked close to her and leaned over her. "What would you do, if I would touch you?"



Beth froze and William enjoyed her shocked and scared face for a moment.



"Hey, keep cool that was just a joke, kitten. I’ll be nice. I promise. I won’t touch you except you want it."



Beth gave him a confused but angry look. "I’ll never want you to touch me!" With this she walked away from him. He smiled and then followed her to show her the way.