One Night, two dreams

By Cara







Beth slept in William’s bed, who choose to sleep on the kind of couch that stood in the other corner of the room. He was peacefully asleep but Beth was tortured by nightmares. She hadn’t had them in a long while. But tonight they were back.



“Mommy? Mommy?” Beth walked into a big room. Everything was blue. Like the nights in the Caribbean.



“Elizabeth! Go back into your bed, or I’ll be really angry with you!” Her father shouted from behind her.



Beth turned around. There she was. Her mother. She was on a big bed, so still and pale…



“What’s with mommy?” Beth asked her father.



“She is dead my dear. But don’t worry she was happy, when she died. Because she knew this would happen. She knew you would meet me.” Her father told her.



Beth wanted to ask him what he meant but when she looked up it wasn’t her father’s eyes she was looking into. These eyes weren’t brown and cold. They were blue. The deepest blue she had ever seen, and they were soft. Not hard, but soft.



“William?”



“Shh…it’s all right, kitten. I’m here. Your father is sorry, you know? He is sorry that he killed them.”



“What? Who?” Beth was stunned. She didn’t even protest when William took her into his embrace.



“You can’t run away. You’ll never be free. Just like your mother.” William looked into her eyes.



And suddenly it he began to change. His skin was fading. His eyes turned from blue to gray and his bones became visible through his skin…



“Ahhhhhhhhhh…!!!” Beth sat straight in the bed but she wasn’t really awake. She didn’t realize what was going on around her.



“Shh… ok luv. Calm down sweetheart.” William set beside her on the bed and took her in his arms. He rocked her slowly, and after a while she became calm.



As she lay in his arms and clung to him, Beth began to realize what was happening, that someone was holding her. She looked up, and when she saw William’s eyes she panicked.



“Let go! Let go! Help…” She struggled and fought him until he covered her mouth with his hand.



“Shh…pet, it’s all right. You had a bad dream.” When William felt her relax slowly he took his hand from her mouth.



“William?” Beth’s voice was just above a whisper.



“What is it sweetheart? You thought I wanted to kill you?” he asked as he stroked her hair.



For a moment Beth wanted to answer, but then she realized where she was. In his arms. He held her to him, and for a moment she enjoyed it, but as soon as she noticed her enjoyment of his touch, she flipped back to unfriendly.



“Let go of me! What are you doing in my bed?” Beth finally realized the most important thing: William held her in his lap and she was wearing only a thin nightdress.



“First of all, this is MY bed and I let you sleep in it. And second, you nearly woke up the entire ship with your shouting and screaming.” William stood up and walked back to his sleeping place.



“Thank you. For you… know…” Beth whispered and lay back down to try to sleep.



William smiled at her. He didn’t go back to sleep very quickly, but spent almost an hour just watching the beautiful girl who slept peacefully in his bed, before drifting off himself.







“William?” He heard her low voice from the bed.



“Yes my dear?” he replied, turning to look at her.



His breath caught in his throat as he saw her. She sat in the bed, was wearing nothing. She held the covers over her breasts but he could see her bare shoulders and soft, golden skin. She looked at him with desire in her eyes.



“Can you come here and hold me? It feels so good to be in your strong arms.” she smiled at him.



“Of course, my kitten.”



He stood up and walked over to her. She lay back and relaxed as William approached the bed and reached for the covers. He reached for the blanket, lifted it…





“Captain!!”



“What the…?!” William sprang to his feet as Xander came in.



“Captain, I think something is wrong with Elizabeth.”



Will looked over to the bed. She was gone.



“Where is she?”



The two man ran out the door, and Xander pointed to the railing near the rudder.



William slowly walked towards her. The deck was totally empty, the only light from the stars and the full moon.



Beth had the covers wrapped around herself and was watching the silent sea.



“Elizabeth? What is it, luv?” he asked, gently placing a hand on her shoulder.



“You know, my mother loved the sea. She always told me stories of pirates. She said she would have preferred a life as a pirate. Or maybe a pirate’s wife. One day she looked at me and said, ‘Lizbeth, my dear. Listen to me. Live a better life than I have. Find a man that respects you and your wishes’… and then, the next day she died and I…” Beth’s voice broke and she turned around.



William instantly took her into his arms.



“Beth, what did you dream? Tell me.”



“Let’s…sit…down…” she sobbed.



William took her to the same bench they sat earlier that night.



Thirty minutes later Beth had told William everything. He carried her back to the cabin and lay her onto the bed.



“Sleep well, pet. I’ll wake you if you dream again.”



“Thank you. William?”



“Yes?”



“I’m sorry. Normally I don’t throw myself at strange men. I just…”



“Don’t be embarrassed. It’s all right. You can turn into a prude again tomorrow.”



They both laughed.



**Oh I probably will.** Beth thought all to herself, watching him lie down on the couch and turn over.