The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose



Chapter 11

She was big now, and she kept getting more so. There was no hiding her condition. She might as well wear a flashing neon light that proclaimed ‘I’m having a baby’. To her frustration none of her old clothes fit, and so she had to build an entire new wardrobe. She felt extremely dopey and unattractive.

Buffy began to shop in the infant section of the stores. Once while she was examining strollers a little girl came up. She was darling, probably six years-old, in overalls and pig-tails. She reached out a tiny hand toward Buffy’s bulge.

“Can I feel the baby?” she asked.

The slayer couldn’t help but smile. “Go ahead,” Buffy said, giving consent.

The girl put her palm against her belly. Her eyes danced with glee. She joined her right hand with her left.

“My mommy is bigger than you are,” the child said. “She says she’s going to pop one of these days.”

Buffy giggled.

“My new sister or brother won’t leave mommy alone. He dances around so much. Does yours do that? I don’t feel him doing that now.”

Luckily the baby was taking a rest. She had become overly active after the eventful night with Spike. Buffy had to wonder if she was displaying wrath over Spike’s absence. It had been almost three weeks since then, and the vampire hadn’t shown his face even once. Xander, Giles, and Willow went out patrolling but Buffy knew that their skills were lacking compared to Spike or her ability. The vampire population was flourishing. She’d caught glimpses of the obituary section of the newspaper. She inwardly sighed. Something had to be done.

“She’s taking a nap,” Buffy said.

The girl laughed.

“Sally,” a woman called.

“That’s my mommy. I gotta go,” the little girl said. She pressed a kiss to Buffy’s belly. Then she muttered a ‘goodbye’ to the baby and another to Buffy. She scampered off.

Warmth spread through Buffy. So cute, she thought. I hope my kid is that sweet. But I’m going to teach her not to wander off and talk to strangers.

Buffy went home and wrote in her baby book. She jotted down a normal passage about the little girl she met in the store.

* * *

The past few weeks had been the worst imaginable. Ever since the first moment he saw her a curse befell him. It must be the power’s doing, to make him pay for the torment he dished out to others. The slayer haunted his mind night and day, at least lurking in some corner. At first he was obsessed with ripping her throat out and draining her dry, and then that changed to how he wanted to keep her safe and happy. And now (after he thought it couldn’t get any worse) . . . a baby. A tiny little Buffy. How could he not love her back?
It would have been a dream come true. But yet again it was part of the curse. To be able to create something with the woman he loved but never hold it, the worst kind of punishment.

Why should he anyway? He was a vampire after all. He couldn’t give her what she needed. He couldn’t take her into the light. Slayer was right, Spike thought, I’m not meant for parent teacher night.

Spike sprung up from his lying position on the sarcophagus when he heard the door creak open. Buffy entered. She came to a halt only five feet away. Oh, he had forgotten how radiant she looked. Three weeks without her. It seemed like years. Had she gotten rounder? It was quite becoming. Why wasn’t she wearing a coat? He had no feeling toward temperature but he was sure it was nippy out.

Buffy crossed her arms. “Spike, I haven’t seen you around lately,” she said.

He sat up straighter. Her cold voice made the amazement from her sudden arrival vanish. He felt angry. No, furious! That was his baby inside her and she rebuked him from it. Screw parent teacher night! He could still rock the girl (yes, he had decided it would be female. Another Summers girl to drive him mad) to sleep, kiss her in the morning, sing to her, tell her stories . . . love her damnit. How dare Buffy be so cruel!? He knew she was a bitch but this!

Spike jumped down and got in her face. “Why do you think that is, slayer?” he hissed. “Could be because you made it perfectly clear that you wanted me to stay away.”

Her expression stayed the same. Ice queen, she was.

“I may not need you in my life, Spike, but I can’t patrol without you.”

He snorted. Oh, she wanted him for business and nothing more. Well, that was rich.
“Don’t think so, pet.”

She stared in disbelief, and then shook her head. “This just proofs my theory. Vampires can’t love.”

He felt fire rise up inside his chest. He would have leashed out at her if it weren’t for her condition. Buffy winced and placed a hand on her belly. She seemed unconcerned so he let it go. Was the baby kicking? Hope she gives her mum a right thrashing.

“Buffy, I can’t be around you,” Spike said. He sighed. “Not when you’re carrying my child. I won’t be able to stay away later on.”

“It isn’t your child!” Buffy spat.

“Don’t play games with me! I very well know what Dru’s rant meant. She may . . .” He swallowed. A pang hit his heart. “. . . might have spat out twisted words but there was truth to them.”

Oh, my dark princess. I staked you for her. So that she could love me. Good that did. Hah! Should have let you do her in. No, the baby . . . Still, I would have been better off skipping town with you and doing away with this nonsense.

“The monks might have created her with your blood, but that is all. The night we shared never happened,” Buffy said.

Monks? “What are you off about?”

Buffy lowered her eyes. “She’s a key. She opens portals. These monks created her so that w-I could protect her from Glory. They planted our night together in our memories. It never happened. This baby has your blood, but ‘you’ are ‘not’ really her father.”

Of course. Sunnydale kept getting better and better. Now they had mystical keys . . . and false memories. Figured the slayer wouldn’t really desire him in anyway, even physically. Another part of the curse. Wasn’t the chip enough? What did the powers want from him?

“Do you feel any less her mother?” Spike asked.

Buffy faltered. “That’s different. She’s a part of me. She’s ‘inside’ me.”

“Still, all she has is your blood.”

Buffy looked away. He hit a nerve.

Spike took in an unneeded breath. “Blood isn’t just physical. It’s life.” He gestured to her stomach. “As much as you deny it, a piece of our essence went into her.” He paused. “So, you see why I can’t go patrolling with you?”

“Not really.”

He gritted his teeth. “I’ll grow attached.”

She nodded. “You’ll become a stalker outside her window. I understand. Fine.”

Buffy turned away. He watched her walk away.

Damnit! Spike banged his head against the stone wall. His speech hadn’t fazed her at all.

____________________________________________

Thanks for reading, people. I hope that answered some of you guys’ question about how Spike is truly the father when the hot night never happened. The monks used his DNA along with Buffy’s. So, yes, he ‘is’ the father, just not in the conventional way.