The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose

Thank you, Ms Quey for your help! She aided me in overcoming my writer’s block. *gives a hug her way*



Chapter 12

One of the many downsides to being pregnant was the frequent hospital visits. If anyone knew Buffy at all they knew that she ‘hated’ doctors. Even though her appointments were connected with life, they still reminded her of death. Her beloved cousin, a child, couldn’t be saved no matter how hard the doctors tried to. Buffy couldn’t help but be filled with insecurity for her baby’s safety. It was hard having to deal with supernatural anxiety alongside that of the natural means.

At least Dr. Grant was friendly. He didn’t appease her worry, but she appreciated his willingness to try and soothe her.

This session was pretty basic. He weighed her. She had gained so much. Too much, in her opinion; but Dr. Grant assured her it was normal. He asked her standard questions, took a blood and urine sample, and performed a blood pressure test.

Before leaving, Buffy stopped by the birthing center. She looked upon the infants behind the glass. They were lined up in two rows, wrapped in either a pink blanket or blue. Aw, they were so cute. Buffy pressed a hand against her belly. She wondered what her child would look like. She had to admit Spike had a part in its makeup. That wasn’t actually a bad thing. He was, after all, a sex- handsome ma- vampire. What would he offer? His beautifully sculpted cheekbones? His cobalt eyes? She hoped the baby at least had her nose. She had an adorable nose, if she did say so herself.

Buffy pried herself away from the window. It was getting late. She needed to get back before the otherworldlies prowled. Hmm . . . How sad it was that the vampire slayer avoided said vampires now. She simply couldn’t take the risk, though. Her baby came first above all else. Even Giles backed her up on that one now.

The hall was deserted. It was quiet, and she felt as if she were the only one there. The white walls were getting to her. She needed to get out of this place. Suddenly she heard a commotion. Slayer curiosity got the better of her and she changed direction.

She’d never been in this part of the hospital before. A chill ran through her as the noise became distinguishable as men shouting. She followed it to a room. It was jam-packed with male patients in beds. They all sat up and fought against their bindings.

“So pretty,” one said. “Green and shiny.”

Buffy backed away. She quickly wished she hadn’t entered the room.
Her back hit something hard. There was a loud crash. She spun around to find Ben in green scrubs. A tray of medication had fallen to the marble floor. Should she help him clean it up? That would be the polite thing to do, but her wild heart told her to flee.

“I’m sorry,” Buffy apologized.

“Don’t worry about it.” The nurse bent down to retrieve the medicine cups.

“Are they-?”

Ben looked up. “Crazy? Yeah. This is where they stash Sunnydale’s brain fried.”

“There are so many,” Buffy whispered.

The nurse forced a laugh. “Seems to be an epidemic as of late.”

“Well, I better get going,” Buffy said. “See you around.”

She began to walk away. She let out a breath, realizing how tense she had been during the conversation. One of the patients moaned behind her. Then others joined in, creating an overpowering sound of loss.

“The key!” a voice called.

Buffy froze. She turned back around against her better judgment. Ben’s eyes met hers widely. He dropped the tray again, this time uncaringly. He pointed at her accusingly.

“You’re the one we’ve been searching for. You have to leave!” Ben advised.

The baby jumped around inside with panic. She sensed the situation. Buffy placed a hand against her belly, trying to calm her down. Ben noticed the gesture. He shook his head.

“Oh no,” Ben said. “Not- Go, now! I can feel-“

The next thing Buffy knew Ben’s head whipped from side to side. He let out a cry of pain. And Glory appeared. The goddess stretched out her lithe body. Then she glanced down in disgust at the hospital wear that covered it.

What had happened to Ben? He was there just a second ago.

Glory surveyed her surroundings. She smirked at the writhing psychos. Her gaze fell on Buffy. Her smirk grew.

“Didn’t think you’d come to me. Thought it’d be the other way around. You have guts, princess,” Glory said.

Run, Buffy’s mind screamed. She spun and fled into the corridor. She didn’t even hear Glory’s footsteps come after her. She was slammed face-first against the wall.

“Don’t run, the fun’s just starting,” the goddess rang out.

+ + +

Spike was the definition of wanker. He had lied to Buffy. He was already attached to BOTH mother and daughter. He couldn’t stand the thought of anything happening to either of his girls. He made a decision then. He had to keep an eye on them. There was no way he was going to let Buffy win this, though. He’d keep his distance, just out of range.

He snatched up his duster and slid into it. It fell around his body as if it were a second skin. He threw open the door and walked out into the night with a purpose. He made it to 1630 Revello in record time. He stood on the sidewalk before the dark structure. No one was home. Bugger. Please don’t tell me she went out on patrol, he silently pleaded. Where could she have gone off to?

Something pulled him. He followed at its mercy.

The next thing he knew he came before the Sunnydale Memorial. He knew it well because he nicked a bag or two of blood now and again. But why was he here now? He didn’t believe in coincidences. He was there for a reason.

Spike entered the building. It was unusually quiet. A woman looked up from the information desk.

“May I help you?”

He shot her a sexy grin. “Just here to see a mate, ducks.”

“Visiting hours are over,” she told him.

Oh, screw it all. He didn’t want any trouble. He let his face shift. She froze, her skin going white. She let out a squeak.

“Don’t much follow the rules,” he said, slipping away.

Spike sniffed the air. He caught the overpowering stench of medicine, disinfectant, and death. Then something hit him. He brought in more oxygen. There it was. Buffy! She was here. . . or had been at least. He briskly followed her scent of vanilla.

Finally it became stronger. The warm pictures disappeared, only meeting blank walls. He turned the corner and came upon a huddled Buffy. Glory wasn’t far away. The hell god clutched her curls with distress.

“Ugh, I can’t . . . Not now, mummy's talking!Wriggling, piling, prowling, crawling, clowning, cavorting, doing it over and over and over and over until someone's gonna sit down on their tuffet and make this birthing stop!” Glory cried.

Spike scrunched up his face in confusion. Then he turned his attention toward Buffy. She was the most important thing. He knelt by her side. She looked up at him, dazed.

“Buffy, luv?” He touched her cheek. “You all right?”

It took a moment, but then recognition lit up in her eyes. She clung to him.

“Something’s wrong,” Buffy whimpered.

“What’s wrong? Tell me and I’ll make it better.”

Buffy moaned and writhed as if in pain. She lifted her hand, coated in blood. Oh, he could smell it now. Blood, taking over the sweet vanilla shampoo she used. Where was she . . .? Oh no!

Redness coated between Buffy’s legs. Not this, please not this! Spike shakily scooped her up.

“Everything will be all right,” he told her.

“We need to get her downstairs. There’s no one up here that takes care of this sort of thing,” a male voice said.

Spike’s head swiveled. A man with brown hair stood there. Glory was nowhere in sight.

“Who are you?” Spike asked.

“Name’s Ben. I know Buffy.”

There was no time for questions. They hurriedly got into the elevator. Nurses wheeled her away. Spike was left empty handed, coldness freezing his heart. For a moment he didn’t know what to do. Then it occurred to him that Joyce needed to know what was going on. Luckily he had recently grabbed a handful of change from someone at the Bronze. He used the payphone to call the house. No one answered. He flipped through the phonebook and found the number for the gallery. The conversation was short and direct. Joyce promised to be there in a matter of minutes.

Spike paced back and forth near the front entrance until Joyce arrived. She called Buffy’s friends first. Then she dragged him off to the waiting room. He reluctantly sat, but his leg twitched. Joyce took his hand and squeezed it. Neither said anything.

After what seemed like hours, a doctor approached them. He looked tired and drained.

“Are you Mrs. Summers?”

Joyce stood. “Yes, I am. How is my daughter?”

“She’s going to be fine.”

“And the baby?” Spike asked. He clutched the arms of the green plastic chair.

“Fine also. Although Buffy is going to have to take it easy from now on. She needs to understand that she can’t exert herself in her condition.”

Joyce let out a sigh.

“Can I see her?” Spike asked.

The doctor eyed Spike. “Are you family?”

Spike opened his mouth to answer but Joyce beat him to it.

“He’s the father.”

Spike’s eyes widened in shock. She knew.

“Then, yes, you can see her right now. I’ll take you to her,” the doctor said.

Spike hesitated. Joyce smiled. “Go on, Spike.”

He nodded and followed the good doc.

+ + +

Xander’s mouth hung open. He had just arrived. Just in time to hear . . . No, he had to have heard wrong. Spike plus father didn’t go together. It was impossible.

+ + +

Buffy sensed him enter the room and opened her eyes. She was surprisingly happy to see him. He came to her side, settling in the visitor chair.

“How you feel?” the vampire questioned.

She didn’t answer his question directly.

“Spike. . .? We could have lost her tonight,” she whispered.

Spike made a move to take her hand but then drew back. “But we didn’t.” He slid his hand under the covers to lie on her stomach instead. “Can’t stand the thought of some nasty getting the best of you or the nibblet. I’ll patrol from now on. No benefits necessary.”

Buffy put her hand over his. He met her gaze with wonder.

“Spike, how did you know where to find me?”

He shrugged. “Don’t rightly know. Just an inkling.”

She nodded. The baby pushed up against Spike’s hand. Spike seemed close to tears.

“She’s something. Is she always this active?”

Buffy swallowed. “Mostly when she senses her daddy.”

She knew he would understand. She was letting him in, accepting him. Not as a lover, but as a partner. She wanted him around not only as a fighter, but also as a father.

___________________________________________________

Sorry for the span of time in-between updates. Hope it was worth the wait.