The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose


Be prepared for Spuffy fluff. ;)

Chapter 18

“Joan?” Buffy offered.

Spike snorted. “Bloody well not!”

“Why? I think Joan is a nice name.” Buffy pouted.

“Yeah, if you’re normal girl, which the baby is not.” The last part was said with emphasis.

Buffy sighed. She flipped through the book, scanning down the lists of names and their meanings. There were so many, there had to be one Spike and she could agree on.

“Anne?” Buffy suggested.

“Right good for a middle name. But not for a first. No, our kid deserves something special.”

Buffy thrust the book at him with frustration. “Here, you find one that suits your standards!”

He chuckled and began searching through the Baby Names paperback. Buffy watched him for a few moments, soon becoming bored. She leaned back against the headboard of his king-sized bed. She slid her hand over the silken sheets. The sensation brought many naughty thoughts. She squirmed. She looked back over at Spike. He was so engrossed in the book that he didn’t notice. She licked her lips.

“Dawn!”

“Huh? It can’t be dawn. Last time I checked it was only ten PM,” Buffy said, furrowing her brow.

“No, for a name. Dawn,” Spike enforced.

“Oh. Hmmm, Dawn. I like it,” she said.

He grinned. Oh, he had a cute smile when it was sincere.

“It’s perfect. She fills me with warmth like the sun,” he explained.

On cue, baby Dawn began to kick at Buffy’s ribcage. Buffy pressed her palm against the rhythm. Spike watched the ripples and then put his hand over the spot as well. The kicks grew more intense.

“Do you think she understands what is going on out here?” Buffy asked.

“I wouldn’t be surprised. We’re both pretty smart,” Spike said.

“You think I’m smart?”

“Course.”

She smiled. On impulse, Buffy tilted her head to lie on his shoulder. She moaned in contentment. She felt him stiffen and she wondered why.
“Buffy, what is this between us?” he questioned.

She lifted her head to look at him. “I don’t know.” Then she said more softly, “But I’d like to find out.”

He nodded, accepting the answer for now.

Buffy yawned. “I think I better get home. Would you mind walking me home?”

They both knew that he would have insisted on walking her home for her safety. The fact that she asked for his company meant something.

“Sure, pet.”

They were silent for half the walk. She grabbed his hand as they exited the cemetery. He glanced over in amazement.

“Do you want to go shopping with me tomorrow?” Buffy blurted.

“Whot? Why are you asking me to go to the mall with you? Wouldn’t Red be a better choice to gawk at shoes, makeup, and all the other tidbits you bints have far too much of already?”

Buffy laced their fingers. “Not the mall. I was going to shop for baby things. It occurred to me that I don’t have that much longer to get ready. I need to start fixing up a nursery.”

“Oh. All right then. What time were you thinking?”

“How about when the sun goes down tomorrow night? You can meet me at my house. I’m sure my mom would be glad to see you.”

“Sounds all right.”

“Okay,” she said brightly.

They came to a halt at the edge of her driveway. It felt weird yet nice to be this close to Spike. She was trying for the sake of their daughter to see if a relationship could work out. Surprisingly, she found that she actually ‘wanted’ it to. She wasn’t big on the touchy-feely that went with getting to know each other. She squeezed his hand before awkwardly letting go.

She looked down at the pavement. “I’ll, uh, see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah. Right,” he said.

She quickly headed inside. She felt his presence lingering out near his favorite tree. She went up to her room and looked down from the window. He gazed up and smiled before turning away.

+ + +

Joyce opened the door with a smile. “Why hello, Spike. Come in. I’ll go tell Buffy you’re here.”

Spike stepped into the house. He stuffed his hands into his duster pockets. He waited by the door and watched Mrs. Summers go upstairs to fetch her daughter. After a few moments Joyce returned.

“She’ll be down in a minute,” Joyce said.

Spike nodded.

“You should come around more often,” she added.

He hated to tell her that Buffy had revoked his invitation. Joyce probably would have asked why, and then that would have started a whole big mess he didn’t want to get into. Better to appreciate the good happenings of the moment and forget the past.

“Buffy told me what happened with Glory. I want to thank you for what you did,” Joyce sincerely said. “How are you feeling?”

He smiled. “Almost all patched up.”

“I’m glad to hear that.”

Their conversation was halted by footsteps. The vampire looked up to see Buffy at the top of the stairs. For a human the sight of her would have caused their breath to stop, for him it caused his to start. She looked . . . Was their a word to describe it? Ravishing? Glorious? . . . Effulgent? She wore a pastel colored flower skirt and white top that didn’t hide but rather complimented the protruding of her middle. Her makeup was subtle and made her face glow with radiance. Her hair seemed extra golden and laid over her shoulders in waves.

Did she purposely get dressed up for him? Was this a date? Nah, couldn’t be. Could it?

Buffy descended the stairs with a smile. She looped her arm with his. She leaned over and whispered in his ear,” Let’s get out of here before my mom sees your. . . predicament.”

He looked down and his eyes widened. He was hard. He had been so wrapped up in her beauty that he hadn’t felt it. He hid his crotch with the material of his coat. She giggled.

“Bye, Mom,” Buffy called.

“Have fun,” Joyce replied.

+ + +

And they did. Buffy discovered that they had similar tastes when it came to baby items. They picked out sun and moon crib sheets, cute girly clothes, and even a few toys. Spike made her stop to play the X-Box in Kay B Toys. They battled in some karate combat game. Buffy won the first round. Spike didn’t take defeat well. He demanded on a rematch, where he did win. Buffy then insisted on best out of three. The third turned out to be a tie of all things. They both laughed at the irony.

They stopped at Dairy Queen to get ice-cream. Buffy had the craving for something really chocolately. She ordered this oreo cookie dessert that was delicious. As she eyed Spike eat his own treat she had the urge to have a taste. She got up and went around sit next to him on his side of the booth. He raised his eyebrow in confusion. She leaned over and kissed him. She delved her tongue in his mouth, swirling it around to every corner.

When she pulled back she said,” Mmm, tasty. I’ve never had a snicker blizzard.”

Their last stop was a furniture store. They went over to the crib section and surveyed them all over.

“How bout this one?” Spike suggested.

Buffy shrugged. “Okay.”

They all seemed the same to her. The one Spike preferred had a changing table that would come in handy, though.

“Oi, miss, do you have one of these boxed up?” he called to a sales clerk.

The clerk retrieved a box and they paid for it with Joyce’s credit card. Spike hoisted the box up into his arms. He offered to take it out and then bring the car around for Buffy.

“You have a sweet husband,” the cashier commented. “I’m lucky if mine puts down the toilet seat.”

“Oh, he’s not my husband.” She paused. “Yet.”

Spike was about to the electronic doors by then. He might not have heard her statement. She hoped with his vampiric hearing that he had.

+ + +

Anya came up from the cellar with a mummy hand. She turned it over to the customer, looking very pleased with herself. Xander giggled.

“What?” Buffy asked.

“Cellar door,” he mumbled with a mouthful of donut.

“Huh?”

He sat up straighter in his seat. “It’s from this movie, Donnie Darko. It’s about this guy who sees weird stuff and . . . Hey, why don’t you come watch it tonight?”

Buffy shifted in her seat. She shut her new mothers magazine. “Uh, not tonight.”

Xander frowned. “Why not?”

“Because I’m going over to Spike’s tonight.”

His eyes bugged out. “You are telling me that you are turning down a movie night in a warm apartment to go see some vampire in a dank hole?”

“-Yeah.” She bit her lip.

He just stared.

“I’m thinking of dating him,” Buffy spilled.

Xander kept staring.

Anya skipped over. “Oh, congratulations. I’m so happy that things are working out for you.”

“Th-Thank you,” Buffy said.

Both women turned their eyes to fall on Xander. His mouth opened and closed like a fish. Buffy took in a deep breath and waited.

“Are you. . .? How . . .? I thought . . .?” Xander sputtered.

Anya frowned at her boyfriend.

Xander sighed. “Okay.”

Now it was Buffy’s turn to do the fish expression. “Okay?”

Xander nodded. “Y-Yeah. Just don’t expect me to do my snoopy dance over it.”
Buffy gawked.

Anya went over and kissed Xander on the nose before going back to stand behind the register. Xander mumbled a goodbye, got up, and left the store. He looked like he was in pain.

Buffy got to her feet and walked over to the counter. “Anya, what was that about?”

The woman grinned. “You owe me. A really good birthday gift maybe. I just saved you a lot of grief.”

“I’m with the huh? How?” Buffy asked.

“I know you and Spike have been spending a lot of time together recently. It was no mystery that you’d end up as a couple. I told Xander but he denied it. I convinced him I was right and he was about ready to go stake Spike. I mean really dust him.”

Buffy felt her heart squeeze. “How’d you stop him?”

“I warned him that if he did do away with Spike that I’d leave him. I also mentioned that you’d never forgive him.”

Buffy gestured to the table. “So back there, before, that was your doing? Xander handled my confession so well because you threatened to break up with him?”

“Pretty much,” Anya said.

The ding of the bell over the door alerted that another customer had entered. Anya perked up. “I have to go help the people with money. Why don’t you leave, be grateful, and ponder over what you can get me for my birthday? Something large and expensive.”

Buffy left the shop, shaking her head. She really did owe Anya one.

________________________________________________