The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose


Thanks to whoever nominated me at the Breathless Awards. It just gives me warm fuzzies all over.

Chapter 19

She couldn’t study. She was supposed to be doing a practice test for her online History class. It should have been easy considering how comfortable she was, and the quietness of the atmosphere. The candlelight was dim, but with her acute slayer eyesight she could make out every word without eyestrain.

Buffy groaned. “I can’t concentrate,” she whined.

“Waz that, luv?” Spike glanced over from his own book. It was poetry to her surprise. But it made sense if you thought about it. Spike really was a gentle person when you peeled off the exterior layer.

“The dates keep jumbling up in my mind. Stupid history. Can you fill in this blank? Never forget- what? I’m racking my brain and just can’t think of it. Supposedly it happened in 1944.”

“D-Day,” Spike said immediately.

Buffy slammed the textbook shut. She tossed it to the crypt floor. “I give up!”

Her vampire companion just raised an eyebrow.

“I know I’m spazzing,” Buffy said. “But I can’t help it. My brain is so preoccupied.”

“What about?”

Her green eyes met his. “Promise you won’t laugh?”

He smiled. “Promise.”

“I’m worried. Sometime during this whole Glory thing eight months have gone by. I haven’t given myself time to prepare for giving birth.”

“Doubt a women is ever really ‘prepared’, luv?”

“But-But . . .” She pouted. “So many things could go wrong. I’m not ready. Can I just keep her inside me forever? It’s safer in my tummy anyway. She has a slayer shield.”

Spike reached behind her and began to rub her lower back. She moaned in pleasure, leaning into his touch. Oh, he had magic fingers. If she wasn’t all achy as of late she’d let those fingers do other magical things. More fun things.

“Now you’re being silly,” Spike said.

“Oh, you are just eager to get back to slim and trim Buffy so we can do naughty things,” she only half-teased.

His massage halted. “Won’t lie to you, I’m a horny man. I’d take you now if you’d let me, though. I’d take you no matter what. You’ll always be beautiful.”

Awww. Okay, was she actually tearing up over that? Damn hormones! Buffy leaned over to give him a tender kiss.

Buffy pulled back slightly. “What’s going to happen after?”

“Don’t know if I understand the question, pet. Could you elaborate?” Spike said.

“After Dawnie is born.” Buffy’s face beamed as she said her daughter’s name. The more she said it, the more she fell in love with it. Spike was a genius to suggest it.

“Still a mite confused. You’re going to be a mother, I’m going to be a father, Joyce will be the grandmother. . . “

“That’s not what I mean,” Buffy said in exasperation. “I mean with you. Are you going to stay in this scary bat cave?”

Spike put his hands behind his head and leaned back against the headboard of the bed. “It’s right nice. Why would I have to pack up and move?”

Buffy scrunched up her nose. “It smells, is dark, and ‘had dead people in it’,” she counted off.

“What’s your point?”

“We can’t bring our kid around this place. It’s just not right.”

“I could fix it up a bit. You know, watch those home decorating shows or whatnot,” Spike said.

She laid her head against his chest. His left hand snaked around her shoulders, holding her to him.

“I thought maybe you could come live with us- In the basement.” Really she wanted him to stay in her room but she was scared to suggest it. That would mean a definite commitment.

“You sure your mum would approve?”

“I think she would, yeah.”

He nodded. “Then I’ll consider it.”

She lifted up to press her lips to his again. “Thank you,” she whispered.

+ + +

Buffy exited the bathroom and almost rammed into her mother. Joyce stepped back and examined her daughter critically.

“Buffy, why are you up at this hour?” Joyce asked.

Buffy gave her mother a shy look. She’d been all over the house these past few hours, restless. “Did I wake you? I’m sorry. I can’t sleep. I . . .” She trailed off, wincing. Her hand pressed against the side of her tummy.

Mrs. Summers took in Buffy’s action. “How often?”

Buffy sighed. “Not very. Now and again for the past couple days. No biggie. I’ve read books. They all say that the contractions mean nothing until they come regularly.”

Joyce nodded in agreement. She took the slayer’s hand. “Come on, Buffy. Why don’t I fix us some hot cocoa?”

“But Mom . . . Aren’t you tired? Go back to sleep.”

“No, dear. I’ll never be able to drift back off with you scampering about.”

Staring down, which would have been her feet if they hadn’t been blocked, Buffy mumbled, “Sorry.”

“Quite all right, Buffy. I don’t have to be at the gallery until at least noon.”
A half hour later Buffy sipped at a mug of steaming hot chocolate. All of a sudden she left the kitchen to head downstairs. Her mother lifted an eyebrow when she emerged carrying an armload of clothing. Buffy NEVER did housework unless pressed to do so. Buffy deposited the clothes down on the kitchen island and began to fold.

“Stop staring!” Buffy said with a laugh. “I was bored!”

Joyce smiled.

Buffy paused. “Mom, what is labor like? I mean, is there anything I should know?”

“Oh, Buffy, you’ll do fine. I’ve seen you read over a dozen books. Nature takes its course anyway.”

“I’m scared,” Buffy confessed.

Joyce walked over and hugged her. “Everybody is scared. Nothing to be ashamed of. There will be doctors to help if anything goes wrong.”

“That doesn’t soothe me much,” Buffy said.

Joyce shook her head. “Dear, you have to get over this hospital distaste.”

Biting her lip, Buffy said,” Can’t help it.” Her cousin died in the hospital. That fact haunted her every time she stepped within its doors.

“You won’t be alone. I’ll be with you. Spike will be with you, holding your hand. And you know he’ll eat any doctor that doesn’t know what their doing.” The last part was said with good humor.

“I know, mommy. Still, I can’t help it.”

Joyce touched Buffy’s hair. “I know.”

+ + +

The ringing of the phone jarred her awake. Buffy tossed off the afghan, got up, and went to the kitchen to answer it. She knew immediately by Xander’s voice that something had happened.

“Buffy.”

“Xander, what is wrong?”

He sighed. “It’s Tara. Glory got her.”

There was a span of silence. Buffy gripped the telephone tighter.

“Is she . . .?”

“She’s alive. But . . . She’s different. Her mind is gone.”

Poor Tara. Buffy shut her eyes. The sweet witch didn’t deserve this.

“How is Willow dealing?”

“N-Not good. I think you should come down here,” Xander said.

“All right. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

When Buffy entered the room she was hit with a brick. Nothing could have prepared her for what she saw. Tara’s right hand was wrapped in a cast. She sat on an examining table, dressed in a dotted hospital gown. It was her eyes that struck her the most. There were vacant. There was nothing there.

Buffy hugged Willow. “Will, I’m so sorry.”

“They kill mice!” Tara said in outburst and giggled.

Willow blinked back tears.

Hesitating, Buffy moved toward Tara. She wrapped her arms around the woman. Tara didn’t respond, as if she didn’t recognize the sentiment. Buffy pulled back.

Willow shook. “I’m so scared.”
A little while later a nurse came to tear Tara away from Willow. The nurse assured Willow that Tara only had to stay in the psych ward for a night. Tara went wild as soon as her girlfriend let go of her good hand.

“Stop! Please don’t with your treachery!” Tara shouted. She thrashed her head.

Willow frowned. “Tara, baby?”

The nurse wheeled the chair toward the door.

“I told the cat. And now my mother sits all alone,” Tara babbled.

“I’ll see you tomorrow. I love you,” Willow said.

Tara stretched out her hand. Willow turned around, not able to watch her other half’s exit.

“It’s just for one night,” Xander reminded his best friend.

“A whole night,” Willow said. “I don’t think I can sleep without her.”

“You can sleep with me!” Anya exclaimed.

All eyes focused on Anya. She seemed embarrassed. “That came out a lot more lesbian than it sounded in my head.”

Buffy stepped forward. “You have to rest, Willow. Okay? Right now there’s nothing you can do.”

The expression that passed over Willow’s face made Buffy go cold. It was full of hate.

“Yes there is,” Willow said flatly. She stalked out the door.

Buffy hurried out into the hall. She halted the red-head by grabbing her arm. “You can’t even think about taking on Glory!”

“You saw what she did to Tara. I can’t let her get away with it.”

“No. You ‘have’ to let her get away with it. None of us are a match for her at the moment.”

“Maybe I am. I haven’t really tried,” Willow said. She wrenched her arm free.

“You’re not. I won’t let you,” Buffy protested.

“This is not your choice.”

“You won’t last five minutes. She’s a god.”

Willow shook her head. “Fine. I’ll wait.”

“It’s the only way.”

Willow turned to leave. “Just leave me alone for awhile.”

+ + +

The only place she felt safe these days was in Spike’s arms. He made her forget the darkness that loomed all around. It was ironic how his cold presence filled her with such warmth. She never wanted to leave his embrace.

“Can I stay here forever?” Buffy questioned.

He pressed a kiss to the top of her head. “Won’t hear any complaints from me, luv.”

“I wish I could,” she said. “But Willow needs me.”

“Poor Red. How’s she holding up?”

“Not good. She was looking to go all pay-backy on Glory for a minute. But I cooled her down.”

He looked skeptical. “So she’s not going to do anything rash then?”

“No. I explained to her that there was no point.”
“Mmm hmmm.”

She stepped out of his arms. “What?”

“You - so you're saying that a ... powerful and mightily pissed-off witch ... was plannin' on going and spillin' herself a few pints of god blood until you, what, ‘explained’?”

Buffy frowned. “I told Willow it would be suicide.”

“I’d do it,” Spike softly said.

Buffy’s eyes took in his intense blue ones.

“For you or the bit. I’d do it,” he went on.

“I know,” Buffy whispered. “Do you honestly think Willow’d . . .?”

“Think, luv. If anything happened to the baby because of Glory? What would you do?”

Buffy’s eyes widened. She raced out the door without glancing back. She knew he followed her because she could feel tingles spark the back of her neck. A moment later he met up with her.

“Slow down a bit, Buffy,” he ordered. “It isn’t good to push yourself this late in pregnancy.”

“I’m fine,” Buffy insisted.

No time to concern herself about exertion. Willow needed her ‘now’. Willow might die.

They made it to Glory’s gigantic mansion and burst inside. Glory must really feel confident because there was no security. A loud bang filled the slayer’s ears. She followed it into the parlor. The room was in shambles. Broken glass covered the floor and furniture was thrown around, most busted.

Buffy walked in just in time to find Willow held against the wall. Glory had a large knife in her grasp, prepared to stab her friend. “Know what they used to do to witches, lover? Crucify them.”

Buffy stormed up. She snatched Glory’s wrist. “They used to bow down to gods.”

Buffy head-butted Glory and twisted her wrist. Willow fell to the floor in a heap. “Things change,” Buffy concluded.

Spike rushed to help. He kicked Glory in the face. Then he began to punch her. Glory blocked the blows easily with her hands. Glory managed to throw the vamp over the sofa.

“That witch barely managed to slow me down,” Glory commented. Her gaze landed on Buffy.

Buffy knew she had to get out of there. She was in no shape to take Glory on. Her back hurt and she had a tiny tummy ache. To top it off baby Dawnie was doing gymnastics.

“Thicken,” Willow called. She picked herself up.

The air around Glory began thick, immobilizing her temporarily. Buffy grabbed Willow’s hand, hauling her out. Spike took the opportunity to follow them. The group ran out to safety.

“This isn’t over, witch!” Glory shouted after them.

+ + +

The next day Buffy sat in Tara’s room. Willow and Tara huddled together on the bed. Willow had constant contact with her girlfriend, afraid to let go. Buffy understood.

Buffy handed a sandwich over. “Chicken-salad?”

Willow raised her hand. “Me.”

“Eggplant, that’s me,” Buffy said as she took another sandwich out of the paper bag.

“What’s Tara got?” Willow asked.

“I made her tuna. Does she like?”

Willow took the sandwich and waved it in front of Tara. She carefully unwrapped it. She smiled.

“Plastic and her six sisters. Six sisters,” Tara babbled.

Willow slid her fingers along the side of Tara’s face. “Let’s just start slow today.” Her attention went to Buffy. “Can I have that?”

Buffy handed over a plastic container of applesauce. She watched as Willow opened it up and spoon-fed Tara. Willow took extra care as she brought the spoon up. Buffy couldn’t help but compare it to the care that a mother gave a child.

“That’s my girl,” Willow told Tara.

“What are you gonna need?” Buffy questioned.

“I don’t know. They gave me a lot of stuff to keep her calm. They told me to restrain her at night but . . . Sometimes she’s fine. She’ll look at me and she’s fine. I can do this. Even if she never . . . She’s my girl.”

Buffy nodded. She cupped her palm over her protruding belly. She wanted to cry over the devotion Willow had over Tara.

“I understand,” Buffy softly said.

Willow smiled. “I know you do.”

Suddenly the entire wall was ripped aside. Buffy and Willow jumped to their feet. Buffy gasped when Glory’s face appeared at where the window used to be.

“I told you this wasn’t over,” the goddess declared.
“No. The place is cracking!” Tara screamed.

Buffy’s eyes roamed, searching for a way out of this one.

Willow touched Tara’s arm.

“Oh, look at that!” Tara gawked at Buffy. Her finger pointed at Buffy’s middle. “How pure. Such pure green energy.”

The slayer took a step back. She held her stomach in protection. Her eyes fell on Glory. The hell god grinned in delight.

“How beautiful,” Tara said.

Buffy felt dizzy. She put a hand out to the wall in attempts to steady her. Oh God, Oh God.

“How cleaver those monks were,” Glory said.

___________________________________________