The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose


Chapter 20

The slayer was one for action. They made decisions quickly and made them without hesitation. At that moment, however, Buffy couldn’t move. She remained frozen, petrified. All she could do was clutch at her stomach, the thin layer of skin that wasn’t enough protection to her child. It’s over. It’s over. It’s over. . .

She never heard Willow chant something in Latin. Or see when the witch held out her hand. Glory was thrown aside into the bushes.

“Buffy, run!” Willow shouted.

Buffy blinked.

“Buffy, move!”

Coming out of her daze, Buffy took in the situation. She took flight and sprinted out into the dorm hallway. There were students all over. They glanced up in curiosity as she passed. Some got in her way and Buffy pushed them aside. She made it to the front doors and crashed through. She crossed the lawn, heading toward the road. An uncomfortable clench in her belly made her slow. The sporadic, occasional pains were becoming not so sporadic or occasional. But she didn’t have time to contemplate what that meant. No. She shook her head. She had to keep moving.

As soon as she made it to the edge of the street Glory popped up in front of her. The goddess put her hands on her hips. She stared down at Buffy as if she were a pesky ant that she needed to squish with her heel.

“You can run but you can’t hide. I’ll always catch up,” Glory declared.

Buffy prepared herself for what was to come.

“Any last words?”

“Just one. Truck,” Buffy said.

The semi stampeded into Glory’s form. The goddess flipped and landed on top of it. Buffy took the opportunity to flee the scene. She rushed all they way to Xander’s apartment. It was the closest Scooby haven.

She banged frantically on the door. Her friend opened it and she barreled in, breathless. He held her shoulders, taking in her state with concern.

“Buff, what happened?” Xander inquired.

She leaned into him. “Glory.” It was all she had the energy to get out. He led her to the couch. She collapsed on the cushions.

“We have to get everyone together,” Buffy instructed. “Call Giles. Is Anya at the shop?” At his nod, she went on. “Call her too. And contact my mom. Tell her to pack a bag. Willow and Tara might be there. Or they’re on their way here, I don’t know.”

Xander rushed off to do as she commanded. Buffy leaned her head back and moaned. She was drained and her muscles ached. She didn’t know how much longer she’d be able to hold up.

An hour later everyone was gathered. Buffy stood before them. She felt as if she might collapse but she kept the façade of commander well.

“Honey, what is this all about?” Joyce asked gently from her seat in the recliner.

Buffy stared out the window. “Glory knows about the key. I barely got away. A truck hit her. Couldn’t have slowed her down more than a few seconds.”

“But the important thing is that you are safe,” Giles said.

Buffy spun around. Fire burned in her eyes. “Safe!? We've barely been able to manage not getting seriously dead every time we've crossed paths with Glory. Now that she knows that my baby is the key?”

“Piano!” Anya exclaimed.

“Because that’s what we used that one time to . . . Wait, huh?” Xander swiveled. “Ahn, what are you talking about?”

“We should drop a piano on her. Well, it always works for that creepy cartoon rabbit when he's running from that nice man with the speech impediment.”

Giles rolled his eyes. “Yes, or perhaps we could paint a convincing tunnel on the side of a mountain. Let's just keep thinking, everyone. “

“We can’t fight her,” Buffy lowly said.

“Well, not yet. But in a matter of time –“

“No, never,” Buffy countered. “Spells, stakes, or even rocket launchers aren’t going to beat this one. She’s a god and she’s coming for us. So I think let’s not be here when she comes knocking.”

“Run away?” Anya voiced. “Finally a decent plan.”

“That’s not what she meant,” Xander said. “Was it?”

“Of course not,” Willow replied.

“Yes it was,” Buffy said with emotion. “It’s the only thing we can do. She’s going to knock us down one by one until she has me snatched up. And who knows what she’ll do with Dawn then. Probably rip her right out of me.” Buffy’s lip wobbled. She covered her mouth with her hand and fought the stinging in her eyes.

“Buffy, we all understand the severity of the situation, but there must be another way,” Giles said.

She shook her head. “We stay and we die. Show of hands for that scenario?”

The group remained silent.

“Gather only what we need. We’re gone within the next two hours.”

For a moment no one moved. Then they began to disperse. Joyce stood up and approached her daughter. She laid a hand on her shoulder. Buffy jumped at the touch.

“Buffy,” Joyce gently said. “We need to contact Spike.”

Buffy nodded. “I’ll take care of it.”

+ + +

Buffy knew Xander was sulking. It must be killing him not to throw Spike out of the Winnebago and out into the sunlight. He kept shooting the vampire death glares but somehow stayed good.

Buffy studied the map before her. Where to go? She’d always wanted to see Canada. But was that far enough? Was China even far enough? Somehow she felt like she wouldn’t even be safe on Mars.

Suddenly something ran over her back. She looked over to find Spike next to her. His presence eased her heart a fraction.

“You look knackered, luv. Why don’t you go in the back and rest?” he suggested.
“I can’t,” Buffy said. She looked back at the map. Spike turned her head toward him once again.

“Take a break, Buffy. You need your energy for whatever’s ahead of us.”

A bump in the road made the vehicle jostle. Tara whimpered and Xander groaned. His complexion was greenish and she wouldn’t have been surprised if he spilled his breakfast all over their shoes. She wondered if it was motion sickness that had overcome him or the sight of Spike and her proximity.

“Spike is right,” Joyce urged. “You have to keep your strength up.”

Buffy glanced from her mother to Spike and back again. They were very firm over the matter. She knew she wouldn’t win against them both. She reluctantly got up.

“That’s my girl,” Spike said.

His girl? Her lips twitched.

She went into the back and shut the sliding door. She took in a deep breath. Then she curled up on the tiny couch. She winced as a sharp spasm spread through her uterus. She pressed against the spot and felt that it had grown hard. She whimpered. The sensation eased and she closed her eyes. Eventually she escaped the tornado that threatened to suck her in.

+ + +

The giggling was musical. Buffy stretched out her form on the lawn chair and moaned in contentment. It was the perfect day. Fluffy white clouds dotted the bright blue blanket above.

“Buffy, you’re going to roast out here if you stay much longer.”

The rich British voice made her turn. She shielded her eyes. He stood on the porch in the shadows.

“Come join us, Spike,” Buffy called.

“Yes, daddy, come join us!”
The little girl was beautiful. Her brown pig-tails bounced as she ran around the back yard. Her blue eyes sparkled with excitement.

Spike hesitantly stepped out into the sun. He came to a halt before Buffy. She gazed up at him and for some reason didn’t question the fact that he didn’t burn. She reached out and took his hand, bringing him down to her.

Things were perfect.

+ + +

“Kitten?” Spike whispered. He stroked her hair.

Her eyes shot open. Her green eyes landed on his face. He sat beside her on the tiny couch.

“Sorry to wake you. Anya is going to try fixing some lunch. I thought you might be a tad peckish for something.”

Buffy slowly sat up. The air seemed thick, closing in on her. She wanted to go back to her dream world where everything was perfect.

“What do you say? Spam?”

Ugh, spam sounded awful. Consuming anything at the moment sounded awful. She felt sick. She stiffened. No, not again. This time it hit her harder and she doubled over. Spike perked up. He reached over and put his palm over her stomach. His nostrils flared.

“You’re rock hard, slayer!”

His voice did nothing to help her state. She tried to control her breathing as the contraction ran through her. It was the longest one yet. Not a good sign.

“Were you going to let us in on this turn of events?” Spike demanded.

“It’s nothing to worry about yet,” Buffy said.

“Nothing to worry about!? You’re in the first stage of labor!”

Oh God! Why did he have to say that out loud? The confirmation made it all too real. She wasn’t ready. She wasn’t ready.

“What were you tryin to do? Hide it?”

She shook her head.

“Were you in denial?” He said this more soothingly. The tone portrayed that he already knew the answer.

Buffy laid her head against his shoulder. “Oh, Spike, this can’t be happening now. Please make it stop,” she begged.

He stroked her hair. “Nothing I can do.”

“Just hold me then.”

He gathered her in his arms. She sighed, snuggling up against him.

“It’ll be okay, luv,” he assured her.

She believed him. She shouldn’t have. Everything pointed against it, but she did anyway.

The sound of clopping horse hoofs thundered into their ears. Buffy shot out of his embrace as an arrow penetrated the wall beside them. So much for Spike’s false claim.

__________________________________________________

Now for some excitement. Fun stuff. Thanks for all the reviews, people.