The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose


Chapter 21

It was like watching a movie. The events passing before her eyes felt distant, as if they were happening to someone else. There were shouts outside and more arrows hurdled through the air. The Winnebago swerved. Buffy swayed and Spike reached out to steady her.

“Come on.” He tugged her out into the main area of the Winnebago. Joyce ran to Buffy.

“What is going on? Who are these people?” Joyce frantically questioned.

“I met up with them before. They’re an army . . .” Her eyes met Spike’s. “Set on destroying the key.”

Spike clenched his jaw.

“We need weapons,” Giles declared.

“Ram them,” Buffy ordered. She held onto the table as Giles drove into the horses.

Scampering came from above them. Someone was on the roof. A sword shot down at them, ripping through the metal barrier. It went back up, only to be jammed down again a second later. Spike acted as fast as lightning. His hands wrapped around the blade. Now was the time for Buffy to enter the fray. She awkwardly climbed onto the table under the hatch.

“Xander, can you lift me up?”

Joyce frowned. “You’re not going out there!”

“There’s no choice. Spike can’t leave the Winnebago, Giles is driving, and Xander looks ready to heave. I have to.” Willow was out of the question since she was busy trying to control an out of control Tara.

“Don’t you dare, pet,” Spike warned.

Buffy ignored the contradictions. She motioned for Xander to help her. He boosted her up through the hatch. It was difficult hoisting herself out with the restricting belly but she managed. She balanced herself on her feet. The knight on the roof saw her. He pulled harder on the sword. The weapon came free and he thrust it at her. Buffy jumped backwards. She kicked at his legs before he could swing again.

The knight went down. Buffy leaned down to pummel him. The sword went skittering across the roof. The knight struggled against her. He got the upper hand and threw her off. She went flying. She landed near the edge of the Winnebago with a thud.

“Hey, leave my daughter alone!”

Buffy’s eyes widened. Her mother stood before the knight, brandished with the discarded sword. “Mom?”

Joyce shrugged with a grin. “It’s not an ax but it’ll do.”

Joyce charged at the knight. He made an effort to get up but Joyce was faster. She stabbed him in the side. He hollered in pain. Joyce took her foot and kicked him over the side. Joyce swung the sword.

“Wow, Mom, where’d you learn how to fight?” Buffy asked.

Joyce went over to help her daughter stand. “It’s a Summers’ trait. And I’ve watched you.”

Just then a horse came up alongside the Winnebago. He tossed up a grapple hook and started to climb up. Buffy and Joyce broke away, preparing to do battle. This knight had a scary looking mace.

“Mom, give me the sword,” Buffy commanded.

Before Joyce could the knight used the mace chain to wrap around the weapon. He tugged it out of Joyce’s clutch. The blade flung off the moving vehicle. They could hear another knight ascend.

Buffy kicked out at the first knight. Then she kneed him in the stomach. He went over the side with a yell.

The next knight held an ax. Buffy dodged it as it came her way. She took hold of his arm and twisted it. She heard a crunch sound. The tightening in her stomach took her by surprise. She let go of the foe and winced. The knight used his head to smash into her. She careened back, ending up on the edge of the Winnebago. She teetered, trying to regain her balance. Joyce rushed over and caught Buffy before she could fall. The rescue was in vain, however. The Winnebago went out of control.

“We have to jump!” Buffy shouted.

“But honey . . . ! You’re in no condition-“Joyce argued.

The Winnebago yet again veered to the side. The women held onto each other.

“Better to jump now than to go kaboom.”

Buffy didn’t wait for a response. She leapt off, taking her mother with her. They landed in the desert below. Buffy cried out on impact. She rolled her body until she came to a stop. She slowly sat up in time to watch the others zigzag and then tip in a cloud of dust.

“Buffy, are you all right?” Joyce questioned.

“Yeah. Are you?” Buffy asked in return.

Joyce limped over. She took Buffy’s hands and pulled her up. Their attention fell to the fallen Winnebago.

+ + +

The army of knights had vanished. Buffy guessed they fled to regroup and make up a new plan. One thing was for certain: they would be back.

The abandoned gas station was their only option. The place looked pathetic. A rusted pick-up truck was parked outside near the pump. A lone tire leaned against the wall. The group stepped inside, Spike rushing in first. He stomped on his smoking duster. The interior wasn’t any better than the outside, if anything it was worse. The windows were partially broken and glass littered the cement floor. Boards covered the remaining glass. Dust covered the neglected counter. There was also a retched musty smell.

Buffy collapsed on the floor, leaning her head back against the counter. “What, no mints on the pillow?” she quipped exhaustedly.

Spike crouched down in front of her. He took her hands in his, looking into her eyes. “How you holding up, pet?”

“Do I have to be up? Can’t I be down? Down sounds nice right about now,” Buffy said.

He smiled.

Buffy noticed that Spike’s hands were bandaged. Red had soaked through the white cloth. “What about you?”

Spike held up his hands. “Oh, these? Tis nothing. They’ll heal in no time. It’s you I’m worried about.”

“We have another plan, right? One that doesn’t involve pointy knives and a Winnebago?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “We rest here a minute but we have to keep moving.”

Xander came up. “Where?”

“I don’t know!” she desperately cried. “We can’t stay here. It-It’s too close to the wreck. We’re too easy to find.”

“Shouldn’t we be getting you to the hospital?” Spike suggested.

“Is Buffy hurt?” Giles questioned.

There wasn’t time for a response. A fiery arrow shot through a window. It imbedded itself in the wall behind. Xander rushed over and plucked it out. He stomped on it until the flame smothered.

Buffy picked herself up with Spike’s aid. More arrows came at them. Willow helped Tara duck out of the way. Tara wailed.

Anya took a peek outside. “They’ve brought some friends this time,” she said.

“Great,” muttered Buffy. “I’m glad their so popular.”

Buffy dodged another arrow. “Willow!”

“I’m on it!” called Willow.

“We have to do something!” She spotted a vending machine off in the corner. “Here, help me out, Spike.”

The two began to shove the coffee machine in front of the door. After getting it in place Buffy doubled over. “Not again,” she groaned.

Giles watched intently. “Dear lord, are you in labor?”

Joyce took Buffy by the shoulders. She tried to push Buffy away from the door. “You have to sit or lay down.”

Buffy shook her head. “I can’t!”

The boards over the windows rattled as knights beat on them. Buffy shut her eyes and let out a small squeak. If she wished hard enough maybe it would all go away.

An ax hacked at another door. Splinters went flying. A knight crashed through. He rushed at Buffy and punched her in the face. She was knocked aside, ramming into the counter.

Spike lunged at the knight. He punched the guy in the jaw, only to be rewarded by a massive migraine. He held his head and yelled.

Buffy regained control. She whacked the knight as hard as she could. He thrust his ax at her but she was able to block it. Then she smashed him into the wall. He fell unconscious. She sighed in relief. Xander and Spike came over and began to drag the man into the back room.

Another knight crashed his way through. He wore different armor than the others, more extravagant. He held out his sword, aimed at Buffy’s stomach. “The key!”

How did they find out? she wondered. She hugged her middle. She spotted the fallen ax from the other knight. She snatched it up and threw it at the higher ranking soldier. It hit his hand and his sword dropped.

The knight dashed at Buffy. She attempted to hit him but he evaded her fist. He tossed her aside and she hit the wall, sliding down in a heap. He loomed over her with menace. Joyce snuck up behind the knight and used the blunt end of the sword to hit him on the head, knocking him out cold.

“Mom, ever think of taking up weaponry?” Buffy asked.

“Enemies, fall and fly!” Willow shouted. “Circular arms, raise a wall!” She held up her arms.

Energy crackled through the air. Another knight trying to enter bounced back. Commotion broke outside. Then everything fell silent. The scoobies held their breaths and waited. The force field seemed to hold.

“Will, how long will it hold?” Buffy asked.

Willow glanced out the window. “Half a day maybe.”

Buffy nodded. Pain washed over her face. She held her stomach and tried not to signify how much it took out of her.

“Just long enough for you to . . . give birth,” Willow said.

Buffy sagged after the contraction ended. Dread hung over her head at the thought of ‘after’.

________________________________________________