Author's Chapter Notes:
I looked up failure to progress on the internet. Hopefully I dealt with the issue correctly
The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose


Chapter 22

Time blurred. It had to have been hours but no one could be sure how many. Buffy’s contractions were full-blast now and they seemed never ending. She hardly seemed to notice the others anymore, so intent on her body’s workings. Spike hovered nearby, uncertain and feeling helpless.

“How long you lot reckon it’s been?” the vampire abruptly questioned the group.

“I didn’t bring my watch,” Xander said.

Willow looked out the window with a pensive expression. “There’s not much time to spare. They’re out there trying to punch a hole through.”

Anya brightened. “Spike, you should have sex with her!”

“Say what!?” Xander exclaimed. He spun toward his girlfriend. “There will be no grunting of any kind.”

At that moment Buffy grunted loudly. The noise made everyone turn toward her. Sweat made her skin slick and shiny, and she gave the impression of being drained. For Buffy, the slayer, drained was a sign for alarm.

Xander pointed toward Buffy. “Except from the expected baby having, of course.”

Spike rolled his eyes.

“I heard sex helps stimulate labor,” Anya said.

“Ahn, not helping.”

She pouted and crossed her arms. “Fine!”

“I’m telling you,” Spike said,” Tis isn’t natural for labor to go on like this. She should be pushing by now.”

Joyce knelt next to Buffy. She swept wet hair off Buffy’s forehead. “She’s doing fine.” Then to Buffy,” You’re doing fine.”

The only answer they got was another contraction. Buffy gritted her teeth and got swept up in it. The sight clenched at Spike’s unbeating heart. He hoped it wouldn’t be much longer.

But it was. Buffy eventually got up to everyone’s surprise. Giles began to protest and she shot him the evil eye, which made him back down. Buffy paced back and forth. Anytime anyone neared, bitchy Buffy emerged with fiery vengeance. It drove them all insane, but probably Spike the most of all. It hurt that she wouldn’t let him comfort her.

After much of this Buffy gave in and collapsed in her mother’s arms. Joyce eased her back down to the floor. She rubbed her back as Buffy whimpered.

“How much longer is this going to take?” Buffy spat. It was the first time she had spoken in hours.

“Hopefully not much,” Giles stated. His eyes were dark with foreboding. Spike didn’t like it at all. It meant his worry wasn’t uncalled for.

Spike admired Joyce. Throughout the whole thing she remained calm and murmured encouraging words. Buffy might seem worked up now but he suspected it was nothing compared to how she could have been.

Joyce smiled. “Honey, I need to take a look and see how you’re doing.”

Buffy nodded. Joyce moved to tug down Buffy’s slacks.

“Keep your eyes away, Harris,” Spike warned Xander harshly.

“Yeah,” agreed Anya.

Xander glared. “Like I would.”

Spike snorted. He removed his duster. He laid the material over Buffy’s exposed hips. Joyce gave him a grateful look. He shrugged.

Joyce massaged Buffy’s leg. She lifted the coat and took a peek.

“Can I push?” Buffy asked.

“Do you feel ready to push?” inquired Joyce.

The slayer laughed manically. “How the fuck should I know!? I’ve never done this before!”

“Buffy!” scolded her mother.

Buffy looked sheepish. “Sorry, Mom. No, I don’t feel the urge to push. But this is getting me nowhere.”

Another contraction ripped through Buffy. She gripped Joyce’s arm. Joyce tried to mask the pain that the slayer-grip caused. It was nothing compared to what Buffy must be going through.

Tara squirmed in Willow’s grasp. “The shrieking banshees! Make them stop!” The blonde covered her ears.

“Shhh . . . “ Willow soothed. She stroked Tara’s hair.

Joyce sighed. She glanced up at the others. “We’re in for a long and hard labor. She’s hardly dilated.”

Giles took his glasses off. He proceeded to clean them.

“All we can do is wait,” Joyce added.

So they did. The scoobies remained quiet, even Tara. They watched and waited as Buffy strained against her agony. Something had to change eventually. Except it didn’t. The contractions kept coming but Buffy never attempted to push. Spike turned away, not able to take it. He heard his girl moan again and involuntarily spun back around.

Buffy rocked back and forth, holding her stomach. She tried different positions, finding none to her liking. She looked helpless and succumbed by the storm inside her. Things couldn’t get worse, Spike thought.

They did, though. Buffy’s moans turned to screams. Spike rushed over to her side. She wouldn’t even look at him. He clenched his jaw. She hated him.

“I’m sorry,” Spike apologized.

“Spike didn’t do this. It wasn’t his fault,” Joyce said.

“If he never existed the monks couldn’t have done this to me,” Buffy cried.

The words stung hard. They were worse than Cecily’s ‘you’re beneath me’. Buffy wished he never existed. Spike put his face in his hands. He felt something touch his back.

“She doesn’t mean it,” Joyce whispered.

Spike nodded. Still, he wasn’t certain.

Minutes passed and passed, evaporating in the air. Buffy’s outbursts ceased to soft tears. Spike guessed it wasn’t from the contractions letting up. She still flinched every now and then. She was simply too tired to care.

“Something needs to be done,” Giles stated.

“And soon,” Willow said. She gestured out the window. “I don’t know how long my spell will hold.”

Giles ran a hand through his hair. He was at a loss.

“Something’s wrong,” Buffy croaked. “She won’t come. She won’t come out.”

There was a moment where no one spoke or moved as they let that sink in.

“Make it stop!” Buffy begged. “Maybe it isn’t time yet. This is a false labor.” Buffy arched her back. The contraction died and she collapsed back against the counter, depleted. She shivered slightly. She turned her head to address Willow. “Do something, Will. Please! You can stop it!”

“I . . .” Willow bit her lip.

“I can’t take much more of this.” Buffy fell into a sobbing fit. She rubbed her hands over her belly forlornly.

Spike caught Joyce’s attention. He motioned for her to come over so he could talk in private. They went over to the side, out of Buffy’s range of hearing (or so Spike hoped).

Joyce took a deep breath. “She’s not progressing. She should be well into the second stage of labor by now.”

“What does that mean?”

“Frankly I don’t know. My labor with Buffy wasn’t like this. It only took me eight hours. This is . . . This is . . . She may be the slayer but . . .”

Spike closed his eyes. Buffy might give out. He rammed at a wall and smashed his fist through.

Buffy’s distress soaked into Spike’s being. He had to get away. He crept into the back room to hide. He paused to light a cigarette. His hands burned as he attempted to flick his lighter. He finally gave up and put it away.

“She is having difficulties?”

The voice took Spike by surprise. He had forgotten about the knight they had captured. He ignored it.

“Let us hope it prevents the key’s surfacing. Otherwise unspeakable torment will unleash upon us all.” There was a long pause. “You should kill it now while the slayer is defenseless.”

Spike stalked up. He wrapped his hand around the knight’s neck and squeezed. “Don’t you dare suggest such things about my daughter!”

“You are the father? A vampire?”

Sharp knives pierced Spike’s brain. He bared the pain.

“Separate!”

Spike went sliding across the floor. He shifted to see Willow in the doorway. She came in and he noticed her eyes had gone black. After a moment they faded to their natural color.

“Did you want to kill him?”

“Yes,” hissed Spike. He breathed rapidly, trying to focus his eyes. “He deserves it after what he said.”

“He’s important, Spike.” Willow narrowed her eyes at the chained man. “What are you? Lieutenant?”

“General,” the knight replied.

Willow crossed her arms. “Impressive. What do you know about Glory?”

“The beast ruled with two other gods. The beast's power grew beyond even what they could conceive. As did her lust for pain and misery. They looked upon her, what she had become ... and trembled.”

Willow’s eyes widened. “Gods afraid.”

“So was her power. They feared she would attempt to seize their dimension for herself, and decided to strike first. A great battle erupted. In the end, they stood victorious over the beast ... barely. She was cast out. Banished to this lower plane of existence, forced to live and eventually die trapped within the body of a mortal ... a newborn male, created as her prison. That is the beast's ... only weakness.”.”

“Kill the man and the god dies.” Willow frowned.

“I could do it. It’d hurt like hell after but . . .” Spike offered.

Willow shot him a look. “Buffy wouldn’t allow it.”

The general chuckled. “You are fools. Sacrifices are required to ensure the safety of others.”

Spike knew the knight’s words were true. His ears picked up the sound of Buffy going through another contraction. He hoped that the sacrifice wouldn’t have to include his slayer or daughter. He made a decision then. If anyone was going to have to be spared it would be him. He was the most logical choice anyway. He was a vampire and had outlived his rightful time. And he would be the least missed.

“Spike, come on. Let’s go see how Buffy is doing,” Willow suggested.

She was doing the same. Still more time went by. Buffy barely noticed the contractions after awhile. Her hands stopped moving but still kept contact with her belly. She seemed to be in a deep mediation or dissociating.

“Is she dying?” Buffy asked suddenly.

No one answered. No one had an answer. They weren’t doctors and had no clue. Buffy clutched her middle tighter. “Someone talk to me!”

Spike got down on his knees. “She’s tough like you.”

“That didn’t answer my question.”

Spike got up and went over to Willow. The witch raised her head.

“Red, I need you to open a door,” he said.

The two ventured outside to face the enemy. Willow waved her hands and a small part of the barrier parted.

“We need you to let us bring in a doctor. We have someone in need of medical attention,” Willow informed.

“Why should we help you? You are the protectors of the key,” a knight said.

“Because that’s the way it’s done,” Spike said. “Don’t you have any honor?”

“We have no honor toward those conversing with vampires.”

“Look here, pillock, we got a bleeding woman in there! You want to be responsible for her death?”

The knight’s expression hardened.

“We have your general,” Willow reminded.

The knight caved. “Very well,” he finally said. “We shall grant you your request.”

Spike felt a weight lift. He returned to Buffy while Willow called the only doctor they could get a hold of. Buffy let Spike touch her this time. He wasn’t fooled to think it was because she welcomed it. She had lost her will to stop him.

It took too long for help to arrive. Eventually it did. Spike studied the man. A sense of familiarity overcame him. He’d seen this doctor before.

Ben, the doctor informed. His eyes swept over Buffy. Spike didn’t like his look. The thought of him examining between her parted legs made Spike sick.

“I was told that her labor is augmented,” Ben said.

Joyce nodded.

Buffy didn’t acknowledge Ben’s presence. He got down to check her state. He prodded around at her womb and nether regions.

“How long has she been in labor?” Ben asked.

“Maybe thirteen hours. Maybe more, maybe less,” Xander said uncertainly.

“And the time before we got here. She never did say when it started,” Spike continued.

Ben nodded. “Her uterus is failing to progress further.”

“What can you do?” Joyce asked.

Ben dug into his black medical bag. He took out a stethoscope and blood pressure monitor. He took Buffy’s vitals.

“I think I can burst the amniotic sac. That should bring forth the process.”

Spike snorted. “You think?”

Ben glanced up. “This isn’t my forte. I don’t deal with births. I was educated in medical school but . . .”

The demon in Spike longed to be brought out. It wanted to threaten Ben into succeeding like with the doctor about taking out the chip. On second thought, that didn’t end well.

Ben revealed a long crochet-type hook with a pricked end. Buffy blinked, coming out of her daze.

“What are you doing with that?” She seemed panicked.

“It’s called an amniohook,” Ben said.

“Uh huh. And what’s it for?”

Ben opened his mouth. Spike spoke before he could.

“It’s going to help you, Buffy.”

Buffy shook her head. “I don’t want that thing inside me.”

“If you want this to end well you have to.”

She sighed and nodded. Ben took the hook and slid it under the coat. The leather blocked Spike’s view but he guessed what was happening. He expected Buffy to be in pain. If she was, though, she concealed it. The hook came out a bloodied mess. Spike stared at it for a moment before quickly averting his eyes. He had more to care about than dinner.

“You all right, pet.”

A moan was all he got in return. Her face scrunched up. The next wave came right after. Her contractions grew rapidly until she only had seconds to spare before the next. Ben muttered comforting words of assurance. Spike suppressed a growl. It should be him down there with her instead.

Buffy clawed at the cement floor. “Can I push?”

Ben spread her legs. He leaned down. When he straightened he was smiling. “You’re fully dilated, Buffy. Go ahead and push on the next one.”

“What do you mean next one? It’s all one big one now,” she panted. She lifted slightly and put all her energy into a push.

“Good. Get ready for another one,” Ben instructed.

This continued. Then Buffy fell back. “I can’t,” she complained. “I’m so tired.”

“Nonsense. You are almost done.”

Spike rushed in. He pushed Ben away and took his place. “Buffy, luv, yes you can.”

“Go away,” Buffy said. “I don’t want you near me.”

He ignored her. “You’ve been through hell and back. You can do this.”

“No, I really can’t. Let me die.”

Okay, tenderness wasn’t going to work. Time to get firm. “You’re the slayer! You’ve fought demons. Deal with the exhaustion and pain!”

“I can’t.”

He punched her in the face. Her eyes widened in astonishment.

“Spike!” Joyce yelled.

Ben tried to stop the vampire. Spike tossed him aside again. Spike took another swing at Buffy.

“Maybe you can’t do it. Fine. So what? You are Buffy Summers. Die trying!”

Buffy took a moment to breathe. “Ahhh, here comes another.”

“Bloody push!” Spike commanded.

“I will, you . . . you bossy vampire!”

Spike chuckled. Good girl.

She pushed and pushed. She snatched onto Spike’s hand. Ben wouldn’t come near again because of Spike. So the vamp took a look himself. He was rewarded with a brown head. It disappeared but returned as another contraction came.

“I see a head!” Spike exclaimed.

He brought her hand down to touch the small wonder. Buffy broke into tears that soon transformed into relieved laughter. The revelation gave her new jubilance. She put great effort into the next push. The entire head emerged. Spike reached out and took it. Buffy pushed again and the baby slithered entirely out.

Spike held the red, slimy creature. It remained still. Spike gazed at it in horror. His worst fear came into being. He had created death. His throat tightened.

Buffy weakly sat up. “Is she . . .”

Spike couldn’t meet Buffy’s eyes.

“You have to coax it to life,” Ben said. “Hold her upside-down by her feet. Then sweep her mouth out.”

Spike did as told. He took his pointer finger and cleaned the creature’s mouth out. She took in some air. A tiny cry entered the room. Her eyes opened, blue, and she became Dawn. His daughter, his number one girl. His eyes stung.

Buffy held out her hands. Spike gingerly handed the baby over to her mother.

Ben handed over a pair of scissors and some thread. “Tie the string six inches from the baby. Then cut the cord.”

Spike fumbled with the scissors. He made a quick cut after the umbilical cord stopped pulsating. Mother and daughter were free.

The placenta was discarded with little trouble. Buffy leaned back, cuddling Dawn to her chest. She beamed. She may be sweat-covered, her hair tangled, her skin pallid, but she was beautiful to Spike.

“She has your eyes,” Buffy declared. She smiled proudly.

Spike hesitated before lowering to lie down beside them on the hard floor. His arm went around them both, holding them close. They hardly were aware of the spectateing audience that gathered around the new family.

All of a sudden Ben jumped up. He looked around wildly. “You have to let me out!”

Everyone just shared looks of confusion.

“You don’t understand! You have to let me out now!” Ben walked over to the wall. He put his hands up to claw at his head. “No!”

Glory morphed in front of them. Ben is Glory, Spike realized. No wonder he got bad feelings about the bloke. Glory stretched up toward the ceiling. She took in her surroundings, perplexed. Her eyes landed on the dirty baby in Buffy’s arms. Buffy huddled with Dawn.

“Well, what do you know. Little Ben did something right,” Glory muttered.

Spike got up. He charged at the goddess. She knocked him back and he landed into Xander. The two men crashed to the floor.

Buffy crawled with her baby in attempts to escape. She moved with difficulty and in protest. Glory zipped over and blocked her path. Buffy stopped and raised her head. She knew right then that she wasn’t going to get away. She absorbed Dawn’s features hard, fearing it might be the last time she saw them.

Glory swept down and tugged the baby away. Buffy reached out desperately.

Spike chased after Glory into the night. He dodged the bodies that littered the ground that she left like breadcrumbs. The others followed far behind. They left Buffy, a crumpled statue, her eyes glazing over as she sunk down inside herself.

___________________________________________________