The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose


Chapter 3

Buffy was pregnant with Spike’s spawn. No, that wasn’t right. She was magically impregnated with a mystical key that hadn’t come into being by a sexual means at all. So, it wasn’t Spike’s kid technically, or hers for that matter. But the monk said it had been transformed into a human. Did that mean that they used Spike and her DNA to create it?

Her mind swam from the confusion. She couldn’t decide if she should hate what was inside her or love it. A baby. If only it were that simple. She had dreamed of being a mother, yet disregarded it after being chosen. A real daughter she could love, but a portal . . . Human now, the monk had said. Was it a baby? Was it hers? Her life was never simple, but this was outrageous.

What would Spike think about all this? She shut her eyes. He was soul-less, a killer only kept in check by a piece of metal. She couldn’t trust him. The baby might not have been created in the natural way but she still felt responsible for it. The monk had been correct, it was an innocent after all. She had been a good choice. She’d protect it. And that meant keeping it away from vampires, even chipped ones.

Shutting the blinds that night and slipping into bed, Buffy made a decision. One thing was for sure; she couldn’t tell anyone that the child might be part ‘Spike’. She knew that she couldn’t keep her pregnancy a secret forever, but she could bend the truth. The baby wouldn’t be Spike’s, it’d be Riley’s.

* * *

It was confirmed the next day at the doctors. Buffy was definitely pregnant. Now the next step was to deal with it. That was the hard part.

Buffy walked down the hospital corridor. She clutched a bottle of prenatal vitamins. Her brain was still having trouble registering that this was all real. She wasn’t paying attention to the world around her. All of a sudden a gurney came out of nowhere. The patient sat up and struggled to escape his restraints. Buffy’s eyes widened. She knew the guy. He was the night watchman she had seen two nights ago.

“I don't belong here. I have important instructions. Fascists!” the night watchman cried.

The nurse fought to keep the man down. Buffy went over to help. She pushed the patient down so that the nurse could tighten the straps.

“You know, not to be rampantly sexist in the workplace, but you’ve got some serious muscles for a girl,” the nurse said.

“I uh . . .”

“Radioactive spider bite?”

Buffy forced a smile. “How’d you guess?”

“I’m Ben, a doctor. . . well, almost.”

She could tell that he was interested in her. Too bad she was knocked up.

“Buffy Summers. Pleased to meet you.” God, she sounded so cheery.

The night watchman seized Buffy’s arm. His eyes were large and full of madness.

“They make no difference!” the man declared.

“I’ve met this guy, he’s not crazy,” Buffy told Ben.

Obviously Ben didn’t believe her. “If you say so.”

“They come at you through your family!” the man ranted on.

“My family? What do you mean?” She couldn’t help but wonder if there was some kind of credence to his ravings.

Ben turned toward an orderly. “Get him to Exam One. Now would be nice.”

The gurney wheeled away and the man let go of Buffy’s arm. The bottle slipped from her fingers. Ben bent down to retrieve it.

“I’m really sorry about that. Here.” He glanced at the label before Buffy could stop him. “Oh, you’re pregnant?”

She snatched the pills away, humiliated.

“I’m sorry if I sound so surprised,” Ben said. “I’m actually pretty embarrassed. I was even going to ask you out for a drink, but seeing as you’re taken. . . “

“I’m not ‘taken’!” Buffy spat.

“I admire you then. It takes courage to raise a baby on your own.”

“Th-Thanks.”

Buffy hurried away.

* * *
Buffy had to make decisions, very important decisions. For starters she made up her mind to move back home. She needed her mother. Joyce wouldn’t be happy about this, but she’d support her anyway. Her friends were nice enough to help transport all of her things from the dorm. They gave her a few looks of worry, but she ignored them. She wasn’t ready to tell them. Not that she would ever truly be ready.

That night she went out on patrol. She knew that she shouldn’t in her condition, but it wasn’t like she could blow it off. There was a new big bad, after all.

She roamed through the graves, gripping her wooden stake. The moon shown in the sky, clear and almost full, illuminating her way. It was pretty slow that night. She allowed herself to get wrapped up in her thoughts, grappling yet again with her situation. She was so lost in them that she didn’t notice the vampire that charged out of the shadows. He knocked into her with great impact. Her weapon went flying and she hit the ground hard.

Buffy struggled against the vamp on top of her. His face was wild, fangs snapping at her. The only thing she could process was that she couldn’t get the thing off her. Oh God, was this it? I failed, she thought. I’m so sorry, baby. I wasn’t a good candidate in the end.

The vampire was suddenly gone. She lay there, gasping for air. She heard kicks and punches nearby. It took a moment for her to gather herself. When she did she saw that it was Spike. He ripped the other vampire’s head off. Dust exploded in the air.

Spike came over to her and offered a hand. Buffy stared up at him blankly. She got up, pushing his hand away. He huffed at that.

“Better be more careful, slayer. That vamp woulda had himself a right good day,” Spike said.

“I don’t need your help!” she exclaimed.

He had saved her. Why? They were supposed to be enemies.

Laughter spilled from Spike. “Oh, right. You sayin you would’ve come out on top in the end?”
Buffy gathered her fallen stake. She didn’t respond.

“You know, you could be a little more grateful.” He pointed at her. “I just saved your ass and you know it!”

She tucked her stake away. “If that’s what your ego wants to think.”

He shook his head. “You are something, you know it? You can find someone else to fight your battles.”

Her eyes sparked with electricity. “I don’t need someone else to fight my battles!”

She’d be fine. All she needed was to keep herself focused. She had been stupid to let herself get distracted. But what about two months from now? Four? She did have a problem. But Spike was not the solution to it.

Buffy turned around to stalk off. She got a few feet before she stumbled. Strong arms caught her before she lost her balance. She didn’t fight them, although she knew she should. They remained in place for who knows how long. She could feel his icy, unnecessary, breath on her neck. He was too close. Why was he breathing so hard?

All of a sudden he went rigid.

“Were you aware, pet, that you got yourself a bun in the oven?”

The slayer pried herself from his grip. She backed away. Instinct had her. She hugged her middle, sheltering it from this monster.

She couldn’t read his features. He wouldn’t look directly at her. “Tin soldier left a souvenir, huh?”

She put even more space between them. “Stay away from me and my daughter, Spike!”

Buffy fled the scene. She never saw Spike’s cold eyes turn dark with heartache.

______________________________________________
You gotta feel sorry for both of them. I know this isn’t playing out to be fluffy Spuffy love, but there are enough happy baby fics out there. Do you really want another one? Besides, if you know me, you know I always get to the lovin in the end.