The Protectors

By Heather Martin

Rated – R

Summary- The monks gave Buffy and Spike one night of fake memories. That would have been enough to change their lives. But when you add a glowing key in the form of an unborn baby, well . . . things wouldn’t just change, they would be turned completely upside-down

Disclaimer- Joss Whedon owns Spike’s eyebrow scar, his bleached hair, his crystal blue eyes, his manly arms, his muscular chest, his tight . . . *cough* Too bad isn’t it? But a girl can dream, right?

Spoilers- Starts during Out of My Mind. The entire Season 5, although I changed it tremendously to suit my own purpose


Chapter 6

Sunlight beamed down, bathing Buffy in its warmth. She cursed it. If it were night she could have gone and fetched Spike to accompany her. She was forced to do this alone. The story of her life, a slayer’s life.

Her hand hovered over her abdomen. She slowed her pace. Giles had hit her hard with his words about the previous slayer. The woman had died because she had put her focus on her child above all else. Despite that, Buffy knew she might do the same. And it scared her. What if she left her daughter to become an orphan? Who would take care of her?

Mom, Buffy thought. She might be mad at me now, but she’d certainly raise her grandchild.

No time to wallow in what might be, she told herself. She had a job to do.

“Buffy! Wait up!”
The slayer spun around. “Xander?”

Xander ran to her side. He gasped for air. “Gosh-you-move-fast.”

Buffy furrowed her brow. “Why did you come after me?”

He held up a finger in request for a minute to catch his breath. When he did, he said, “I couldn’t let you rush off to face this thing alone. I might not be the best backup but some is better than none, right?”

Xander waved a sword in the air. Buffy jumped back before it could slash her arm.

“Oh, sorry,” he apologized sheepishly.

Buffy shook her head. “All right, all right. But uh, be careful with that weapon.”

“Will do, sergeant Buffy, sir.”

They began to walk together down the sidewalk. Buffy had to admit she was glad he was with her. She was uncertain about facing this adversary again. They didn’t know anything about the woman except that she was uber-strong. Xander might not be superior in battle but he was right, any help was better than none at all.

“Anya told me that most of these Sobekites were reptile worshippers right before I left. I’m thinking zoo. What about you?”

“Good bet,” Buffy replied.

They were silent for a moment.

“Xander-“

“Buffy-“

They both smiled.

“You go first,” Xander said.
She nodded. “Look, Xander. . . How do you feel about. . . my news?”

“You want the truth? Frankly I don’t know. It’s quite a shocker, you know. I mean, I don’t know about you but I don’t feel all that grown up. Parenthood? That’s like not even on my list of goals yet.”

“It wasn’t on mine either,” she said.

“I might not be able to fully comprehend the situation, but I love you, Buffy. I’ll be there for you no matter what. And hey, another little you could only add to the good of this world.”

A relieved smile spread across her face. She crushed into him, her arms hugging him tight. He held her back. When she pulled away she felt wetness trickle down her cheeks. She brushed them aside.

“Sorry, I’ve been kinda emotional lately,” Buffy apologized.

“Understandable. With the hormones and all.”

She playfully nudged him in the side.

The zoo entrance came into view. A metal gate closed it off, locked with a chain.

“Damnit, how are we going to get in?” Xander questioned.

Buffy reached out. She effortlessly took hold of the chain and broke it loose. She grinned over at him.

“Oh-right.”

“Ye of little faith,” she teased.

Her spirits had lifted. Xander didn’t hate her. Now if only she could get Giles and her mother to understand. They’d come around eventually, but until then it was tearing her up inside.

They walked for awhile. All of a sudden Xander took a jump back.

“What is it?” she asked in confusion. There was nothing evil in sight.

He pointed. “Hyena territory.”

Buffy chuckled. She pulled him along.

“Do you remember where the reptiles were located?” Buffy inquired.

“Oh, hey, a map!” Xander exclaimed.

It was easy to locate their destination by the map. All the animals were organized by habitats.

Voices echoed throughout the building. The two friends crept inside quietly. They peeked around the corner. The blond woman was dressed in a red designer dress and high heels to match. She clutched a cobra and brought it up to give it a kiss.

“That’s her?” Xander whispered in shock.

Buffy shot him a glare to not talk.

“Chill, worm, I’m going to make you a star!” The woman lowered the snake into a large clay pot.

Buffy spotted a deformed creature nearby. His skin appeared to be rotting off. And was he wearing a burlap bag? Ick!

“Oh great Glorificous, you are the star,” the leprosy demon cooed.

Glorificous? Buffy mouthed the name.

“Uh huh, I’m great. Now let’s get on with this. Chant,” Glory commanded.

“The form is vessel, rendered new. The base is stone, bathed in blood. The gem is fire and elements rarified...” the demon chanted.

“Sobek, grant the power-”

Buffy stormed in. She slammed into Glory and knocked her into the wall. Glory straightened, pulling her short dress down.

“Oh, you again? No fair attacking me when I wasn’t looking!” Glory complained.

Buffy punched her in the face. Then she raised her knife.

“Ooo, a knife!? What ya going to do with that, precious? Gonna cut me?” With lightening speed, she knocked the blade aside. “I don’t think so.”

Glory grabbed hold of Buffy’s arm. She tugged it behind her back. She flung her aside.

“Dreg, I’m not hearing chanting!”

“Yes, Glory.”

Xander came in. He rammed at Glory with his sword. He didn’t even have a chance. The next thing he knew he was on the floor, his weapon feet away. He moaned from the pain shooting up his back.

Buffy picked herself up. She entered the fray again. Glory snatched her up by the throat.

“Didn’t your mother teach you not to interrupt!?” Glory reprimanded.

With great impact, Buffy smashed into the glass of the snake case. She hissed.

“Arise!” Glory shouted into the air. She raised her arms above her head.

Buffy rushed over to her fallen friend. She tugged him up.

“Come on, Xander!” she cried.

She limped slightly, trying to get away as fast as possible.

They didn’t stop until they had reached a block away from the zoo. Buffy crumpled to the ground. She sobbed into her hands. Xander knelt down beside her. He gathered her up.

“I should have stayed,” Buffy choked.

“What?” Xander whispered.

“I could have done something to stop her. But I . . . All I could think about was that I might lose my baby in the process.” She sobbed louder. “How can I be a slayer and a mother?”

* * *

Buffy and Xander entered The Magic Box. Giles instantly stood to meet them.

“You both all right?” Giles asked.

Buffy shook her head. “No, I’m really not. I couldn’t stop her. I couldn’t even slow her down.”

The watcher pulled out a chair. “Sit down.”

She made no move to accept the offer. “The creature is loose. It’s a big snake. Not Mayor huge, but pretty lethal looking.”

“Do you know why she raised it?”

“I don’t know yet.”

“We’ll gather weapons.”

Xander started to walk toward the back. “I’ll get some.”

Just then the window crashed. The snake slithered in and reared up. Its golden eyes locked on Buffy. She backed away, her hands shielding her middle. Oh God, it’s after the baby!

The snake turned and left. Buffy stared for a moment before bolting after it.
“Buffy!” Giles called after her.

* * *

Buffy ran. Her muscles burned but she willed them on. Sweat accumulated on her brow. She streaked into the darkened park. She heard a hiss and rushed toward it. She stopped at what she saw.

There was a fallen nearby sign that read ‘Bike Path Closed After Dark’. Spike hopped onto the creature’s back. He wrapped a piece of chain, that she assumed came from the fence that blocked entrance to the path, around the snake’s throat. The snake thrashed in protest. He tightened the metal until the thing went limp. He got off and discarded the chain.

Buffy came forward. She crouched before the body and steadily punched it. She hit it over and over again, grunting with anger. After a few moments, strong arms drew her away. At first she fought them but then slumped in defeat.

“It’s dead, luv. It’s dead.” His rich, British voice washed over her with warmth.

She reluctantly pulled away from his chest. She glanced over at the fallen snake. Its filmy eyes gazed back at her. She shivered.

“Thanks for killing it,” she whispered.

“So Spike finally gets something right, huh?”

“Don’t go all ego-y over it.” She tucked a lose strand behind her ear. She must be a mess. “Were you just taking a stroll and came across it.”

“Not exactly.” His eyes pierced into her. It may have been night but she could still make out how blue they were. “Something . . . I felt the need to come here.” He sighed. “I felt like something was telling me that you needed me.”

Wow. Buffy wrapped her arms around herself. Wow.

_________________________________________________
2 chapters in one day. Whoo with a big hoo.