“There is a great deal of research on the social development of children. Early relationships with caregivers play a major role in child development and continue to influence social relationships throughout life. We’ll go into more detail about prenatal and neonatal development next week. Read chapters 3 and 4 next week. Miss Rosenberg and Miss Summers, I would like to speak with you. Could you please meet me in my office in ten minutes.”

“Sure, Professor Walsh” Willow responded as they continued to gather their books. “What does she want to talk to us about, I wonder. We haven’t done anything wrong, I don’t think.”

“Will, calm down, I’m sure she’s just wondering about our situation.” Buffy sat down on a nearby bench and pulled out some bottles of water and some grapes. “Here have a snack. It’ll calm ya down.”

“Sorry, I just feel like something bad is going to happen. Maybe it’s just me being paranoid, but I think we need to pay attention to the people around us. I know the prophesy thing isn’t helping at all, but...I don’t know.”

“Willow...Wills...we just need to make sure that everything we feel or find out is shared with Giles and the guys. We’re going to have to use every resource to make sure we stay safe.” Buffy explained as she placed a protective hand on both of their stomachs. “Hey! I can feel them kicking a little. Feel!!” she said with a smile. Willow placed her hands next to Buffy’s.

“Oh Goddess” they gasped together.

Their eyes slammed shut. Images neither had seen before played behind their eyelids. A grotesque monster strapped to a table. Men with unrecognizable faces in suits gathered around a table. Men dressed in Army uniforms walking down a long corridor filled with cells. Professor Walsh stepping through a door into the monsters room.

Finally the connection broke leaving both girls out of breath and shocked.


“Um, what the hell was that?” Buffy whispered.

“I don’t have a clue and we don’t have time to think about it right now. We need to get to Walsh’s office quick. The faster we get done there, the quicker we can go see Giles.” Willow said standing quickly.

Buffy sat there frozen, the images still running through her mind. “But...what...?”

Willow sighed, grabbing Buffy’s hand and dragging her up. “You remember that calm you were talking about. We have somewhere to be and we need to act normal. Now, take deep breaths and large steps.”

“Right...” Buffy took one deep breath letting it out slowly before nodding to Willow. “I’m ready.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Come in!” the girls heard from behind the door as they knocked. Professor Walsh shuffled papers as they entered the office. “Right on time.”

“We like to be punctual.” Buffy said brightly, sitting down opposite of the Professor. “You know you should be careful.”

“Excuse me.” Walsh said nervously.

“‘Come’ and ‘In’ have to be two of the most dangerous words in the human language.” Willow laughed.

“Oh, well. I’ll keep that in mind.” she sighed. “Now, I have a few things I’d like to discuss with you. Am I correct to say that you both are pregnant?” Both girls nodded. “Right, may I ask how far along you are?”

The girls shared a quick look. “Well, I’m about 5 months and Buffy’s 6 and a half months.”

“I see. This means that there is a possibility of you missing the last few weeks of class. That’s the reason I have asked you here today. I have decided to offer you a chance to hand your final essays in early. I’d like for you each to write an essay on prenatal development and also keep a diary detailing how you’re dealing with your pregnancies.”

“That’s very nice...but it seems awfully personal. I have always been under the impression that essays are to be impartial.” Willow said.

“That’s usually the case. However, I intend to use these diaries as research. That being said, I’d ask you to be detailed and candid as possible.”


The word research instantly sparked Willow’s interest. “May I ask what kind of study your conducting?”

“Sorry Miss Rosenburg. The subject of the study is to remain private. Now, I’d like for you to hand the essay in as soon as possible. The diaries can be given to me weekly.”

“Um, I guess that seems okay.” Buffy said.

“Good, now I have a meeting I have to get to. I’ll see you next class.” Walsh said, opening the office door, obviously wanting them to leave.

They quickly grabbed their bags and ran to the door. “Thanks, professor.” “See ya” they said as the door closed. Slowly they turned and started their walk to Giles’.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been that uncomfortable around someone.” Buffy whispered.

“Me neither. Something seemed off, like she’s trying to get information out of us.”

“Do we look that dumb?”

“No,” Willow spat, “she thinks she’s that smart.”

“Great, just what we needed, a nosey, arrogant professor who may be building her version of Frankenstein’s monster. What’s the likeliness that she just wants to teach it to sing ‘Putting on the Ritz’?”

“Not very.” Willow said dramatically, patting Buffy on the back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hey guys!!!” Buffy yelled as the girls entered the mansion.

Giles walked out of the kitchen carrying a tray of food and drinks. “Ah, good, your home.”

“And you’re not. We went by your apartment first. We have some information for ya.” Willow gasped. “Geez, I really need to exercise more. Didn’t realize how out of shape I was.”

“Dear girl, you are carrying around a child. You both must remember that your bodies haven’t had the normal amount of time adjust. Considering the circumstances you are both coping beautifully.” Giles said, placing a comforting hand on each of their shoulders. “Now, you say you have information.”

“Giles, I think you just made my day.” Buffy said giving him a bone crushing hug. “And, yeah, we have major news.”

“Giles, not to be rude, but why are you here?” asked Willow.

“Perhaps you should follow me into the sitting room.”

Entering the sitting room, the girls saw the two resident vampires lying on two of the couches, eyes closed.

“What’s going on here?” Buffy asked, immediately going to Spike’s side.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Earlier that day........

“Spike!! Get your undead ass up and help clean.” Angel yelled from downstairs

“Honestly, can’t you knock on the door like a normal person.” Wesley complained, attempting to concentrate on the book in his hands.

“He’s not normal. He’s a big, whiny poof.” Spike announced as he came down the stairs.

“I’m trying to make this place livable. Not only do we have two women living here now, but they are pregnant and are going to give birth in a few weeks. Do you really want your child to live in a dirty, cobweb infested house?”

“No, suppose not.” Spike pouted. “Right Aggie, where would you like me to start?”

“The ceiling. Got the ladder all ready for you.” Angel smiled, pointing to a tall ladder while handing him a plastic broom.

“Great. Bloody coward.” He whispered, snatching the broom from Angel’s hand.

Angel laughed. Wesley shook his head and rolled his eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours later….

A loud thud from the sitting room sent Angel and Wesley running in.

“Bleedin’ hell, knew I should’ve taken a break.” Spike lay on his back, staring at the evil ceiling.

“Jesus Spike, are you trying to Buffy a reason to stake me? Here.” Angel said holding out a hand to help Spike up. Wesley looked on as both vampire suddenly gasped for air, Angel falling to his knees. After a few seconds, both men passed out on the floor.

“Angel…Spike…”Wesley called out to them. He immediately pulled out his phone. “Giles, I’m gonna need your help. Can you get to the mansion as soon as possible?....I’ll explain when you get here.”


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“So they’ve been like this for about an hour?” Willow asked from Angel’s side.

“Unfortunately, yes. They make sounds every once in a while, as if they are dreaming.”

“Okay, so information time…An hour ago Willow and I had a vision. The babies started kicking and wanted to feel so placed a hand on each other’s stomach. We saw men gathered around a table, soldiers, but most importantly we saw Professor Walsh building a monster.” Buffy said, while gently holding Spike’s hand.

“It’s possible that they are having some kind of sustained vision.” Giles stated.

“Well they need to wake up.” Willow said grabbing Buffy’s free hand while holding Angel’s hand. The girls’ eyes suddenly snapped closed.

“Willow…no.” Wesley stepped forward to stop her, only to be stopped by Giles.

“Goddess” the four whispered as one followed a small rise of the vampires’ chest. Four sets of eyes opened, all looking around slightly confused. A loud sob from the slayer drew the room’s attention.

Climbing off of the couch, seeing the far away look in her eyes, Spike gently enveloped Buffy in a hug. “Luv, what is it? What did you see?”

“God, Spike, her eyes. They were so lifeless. Even in her most dangerous moments, she still at least had life in her eyes, a fire that we shared. I didn’t think I’d care this much about her dying, hell I stabbed her last year, but seeing her just lying there, so helpless....someone managed to subdue her, we know how hard it is to control a Slayer.....they killed her and dumped her like she was garbage. I couldn’t help her....” Buffy started to sob, “I feel sick....I think I need to get to the bathroom.” Buffy ripped herself from Spike’s arms and ran to the bathroom.

“What just happened?” Wesley asked.

Spike looked at the others questioningly. Willow and Angel both nodded. The redhead got up and followed Buffy.

“I think we need to gather everyone. Wesley, could you call Cordelia? We need to get the team here ASAP. They’ll be staying for a few weeks. Giles, call the Scoobies, we need to keep everyone together.” Angel directed, rubbing his temples, trying to massage away a headache.

“Could you tell us what is going on?” Giles demanded.

“If I’m correct, we all just had visions about our big bad. People they may try to go after.” Spike whispered.

“And Buffy’s vision?”

“I have a feeling that it is too late.”

“For who?”

“Faith.”


Chapter End Notes:
I would really love to read reviews. I haven't written in so long.

Also, I'd like to have a new summary for this story. If someone has any Ideas, feel free to write me.