Ch. 14: Good Times

The group burst into applause when, the following day, Buffy and Spike together approached the lunch table.

Buffy blushed furiously and quickly sank into her seat. Spike whacked Xander over the head before sliding in next to Buffy.

"What? What? I'm just clapping for what has been a long time in coming," Xander defended, trying to dodge the blows that Spike kept at.

"And now you can go on double dates with us," Anya said excitedly. "And maybe even triple dates when Oz isn't working."

Spike's eyes widened for a second. "Planned orgasm conversations? Don't know about that."

"What do you mean? Talking about orgasms is fun. And Spike, you should thank me because I was very thorough in informing Buffy of--"

"Anya! We'll go with you. Just stop talking," Buffy interrupted, her face flaming, her eyes avoiding Spike's curious look.

Anya smiled, satisfied. "Good. Then we can go to the fair coming to town."

"Ooh, the craft fair? They always have really cool jewelry!" Buffy exclaimed, happy that they were no longer discussing her newfound knowledge of orgasms.

"And the candles!" Willow added. "Even though Oz can't go, can I come along? It's not his fault he has to work so much."

Spike and Xander shared a look of horror before glaring at Oz's smug grin.

"Sorry. Gotta work," he said succinctly.

"Yeah, uh, I think I gotta work too--Ow!" Xander rubbed his arm. "God, An, do you have to punch so hard?"

Suddenly Willow's face brightened, eager to share some gossip. "Ooh, did you hear the news about that ho bag Faith?"

"Faith? Ugh. I hope it's bad," Buffy muttered. She smiled when Spike squeezed her hand, trying not to show the electricity that ran through her with each touch.

"Oh, it's so bad, it's good. Faith's dad, who's a police officer, caught her and Angel doin' the nasty in the park, and now Faith is off in boarding school!"

"Whoa, sucks to be her. Oh well," Buffy said brightly.

"Wait, so Faith's gonna be traipsing around in a short plaid skirt and knee high socks?"

Multiple groans erupted from the table; Buffy punched him and threw a fry at him in disgust. He caught her fist the second time and kissed it gently. "Okay, you're forgiven." She giggled at his antics.

"And now that the novelty of your relationship has worn off--don't be cute like that. Makes me want to barf." Xander started making puking noises and bent over.

"Shut up, Xander," Spike retorted as he shoved him playfully.

Buffy grinned as she watched Xander and Spike--her boyfriend Spike--roughhouse in the cafeteria. She felt a sense of satisfaction warm her to her toes. She caught Willow's eyes, and they both smiled after the expected eye roll, both enjoying the relaxed mood of the group. Looking over at Spike again, who winked while pushing Xander's face towards his tray of food, Buffy sighed contentedly. "Yup," she thought to herself. "Life is good."

***

Buffy, Willow, and Anya meandered through the various stalls and kiosks set up at the fair while Spike and Xander sat at the flimsy picnic table gulping down chili dogs and soda. They had reached a compromise; as long as the boys were willing to do a few things at the fair, they'd be able to skip out on the shopping.

"So, how are things with you and Spike?" Anya asked while fingering a beautiful silk scarf. "Any good stories on him yet?"

"Things are good. Really really good. So good I'm afraid it's all a dream and I'm going to wake up to find myself fighting with him and secretly liking him from afar like I used to." Buffy twirled a fancy parasol that was on display. "I can barely believe he likes me."

"Oh, Buffy. You shouldn't think so little of yourself," Willow stated.

"Yeah, and Spike's had this fascination with you for a while. Xander told me," Anya said bluntly.

"Really?" Buffy asked, her face delighted. "I don't know why it's so hard to believe. I'm just not used to things going the way I envision it."

"So, do you think you'll go to Homecoming together?" Willow asked. "I think we might try and get a limo together."

"Yes. And we're even thinking of having a sleepover at my house that night. Do you think your parents would let you come?" Anya asked.

"A sleepover with boys?" Buffy widened her eyes in disbelief. "I don't know...I mean, I know it's not a big deal, but I'm not sure if my mom will see it that way. Wills, your mom's letting you go?"

"Actually, they don't know there are going to be boys. But the thing is, they're never in my business anyway. My dad's going to be away on business for two weeks, so my mom might end up visiting her sister or something. She knows about Homecoming and is glad she doesn't have to worry about me that weekend."

"Oh. But I don't want to do that. My mom's all in my business, and if she found out I lied to her, I'd get in a lot of trouble. Anya, is it a done deal?"

"Consider it done. My folks don't care, as long as we clean up afterwards. Go on and ask. We can get ready together, too. Have you gone dress shopping yet?"

"Oh, oh, me! I was browsing last weekend a little, and there's this great dress at the mall that I didn't get to try on. Do you guys want to go tomorrow or something?"

"I do, but I don't even know if Spike's going to ask me. I mean, the last relationship I had lasted a week. I've only been with him, what, 6 days? What if he ends up breaking up with me before then or something?" Buffy bit her lip nervously. "Maybe that's why I'm afraid of being too happy. 'Cause it might blow up in my face."

"Buffy, I'm sure he'll ask you to Homecoming. You guys made it official last Sunday? We already have plans to go bowling next weekend, and when we were talking about possibly having a Halloween party with a couples theme, he didn't flinch," Anya stated matter-of-factly. "I don't know if we're going to have the party, though. We'll see."

"Couples theme? You mean, like Antony and Cleopatra and stuff? People come as couples?" Buffy asked skeptically.

"Yes, and it would be fun. But Xander doesn't seem to think it's that great of an idea, and then we fought about it because I wanted to do it and he wasn't excited about it. Don't you think he should support all of my ideas?" Anya looked expectantly at the girls, waiting for them to agree with her.

"Um, well, maybe he just doesn't want to plan a party for Halloween. Remember when we were little and he got scared at that haunted house party we went to? He tripped over one of the cords for the lights and fell into that vat filled with peeled grapes and spaghetti?" Buffy snickered as she told the story.

Willow began laughing at the memory. "He thought he'd drowned in brains and eyeballs, and we didn't know it was him because of his ghost sheet!" she shrieked. "Oh, man," Willow cried as she caught her breath with laughter. "Poor Xan."

"You know, it's not nice to have these inside jokes and stories that I wasn't a part of. Just because I didn't move here till high school doesn't mean you have to make me feel left out." Anya huffed and started to walk away before Willow reached to stop her.

"Anya, it was from way long ago. And there's no way you could've known he didn't like Halloween. Buffy and I know because we've lived in the same neighborhood for so long, but he's never really told people," Willow reassured. "I mean, it's not the manliest thing to tell people you don't like Halloween because you fell into food," she said, trying to suppress her giggles.

"Besides, we don't need a Halloween party, because the Homecoming sleepover's going to be the best ever! We're gonna stay up all night and play in the pool and hot tub and talk about orgasms all you want. Maybe," Buffy added as a precaution, not wanting to go overboard in making Anya feel better.

"You're right! I don't have time to plan another party! The Homecoming one's going to keep me busy with getting games together, figuring out how to keep the parents out of the way, making sure everyone has fun..." Anya rambled on as she strode through the various stalls, no longer looking at anything in particular.

"Whoa, that was a close one," Willow joked, watching the now-confident girl walk ahead of them. "She's great, and she makes Xander happy, but sometimes she's just a little too much for me."

"Yeah, I know what you mean. Xander's always liked girls who take charge, but Anya's almost out of control. And yet," Buffy observed as she saw Xander's face light up with Anya's approach, "yet he never seems to tire of her. That's cool. And it gives me hope, you know?"

Willow slung her arm around her friend, putting a comforting arm around her shoulder. "Buffy, I'm sure he'll ask. Don't worry about it now. Just enjoy the fair."

"I know. I know I shouldn't worry about it. But--" Buffy stopped mid-sentence as something caught her eye. "Oh, Willow, look!" She fingered a ring on display at a sterling silver jewelry stall. "Isn't it beautiful?"

Willow leaned in to get a better look. "Ooh, so pretty," she said.

The ring was intricately cut with filigree edging, and its width was dotted with tiny flowers and hearts. The combination created an antique feel that had a modern edge to it. Buffy fell in love with it instantly. "Willow, I have to have it. Excuse me, how much is this ring?" Buffy asked the woman manning the stall.

"Oh, that's beautiful, isn't it? I made it so that the flowers, which are for friendship, and the hearts, which are for love, dance together in a web of lacey edges--the passion of the edges with the affectionate delicacy of the lace. Would you like to try it on?" she opened up the case while smiling at Buffy.

Willow whispered, "She didn't answer your question. I bet it's really expensive."

"But I have to try it on. It's just so pretty," Buffy whispered back. She waited while the woman gently wiped the ring with a soft cloth and then handed it to her. It fit perfectly and sat delicately on her finger. "Oh, it's so pretty."

Willow agreed. "It looks really nice on you. How much is it, ma'am?" She was not to be deterred.

"That ring? It's $49."

Buffy's face fell. "Oh, really?" She sighed resignedly. "I love it, but that's just too much for me."

"How about $40? It looked so nice on your hand." The woman took Buffy's hand and let the ring catch the sun's rays. It twinkled gaily, but Buffy quickly took it off.

"No, I'm sorry. I just can't afford that. Thank you. Your work is lovely." Buffy pulled Willow along and briskly walked away from the stall. "Didn't mean to drag you. I just had to get away from it before I stole it or something." She smiled weakly. "I might have to buy some pretty but much less expensive panties to make myself feel better."

"Panties? Did I hear panties?" Xander commented as he and Spike approached the girls. Willow slapped his arm playfully while Spike casually draped his arm around Buffy.

"You girls about ready to have some dinner?" Spike asked the group.

"Yes, I'm starved. But didn't you guys just have some hot dogs?" Anya asked curiously, eyeing Xander's expanding belly.

"Yes, we did," Xander said defiantly. "And now we're going to go get more food. Food good."

"Are we going to eat at that little café they set up inside the tent? It looked kinda cute," Willow asked, trying not to notice Anya's glare and Xander's refusal to acknowledge it.

"Yeah, we put in our names already and everything. You guys want to head over?" Spike gestured towards the colorful canopy in the distance.

"Yes, let's." Buffy grabbed both his hands and began leading him towards the tent.

"Actually, pet, you go on ahead. All those dogs, and all. Gotta visit the loo. Meet up with you in a sec, okay?"

Buffy nodded and then began walking with the others. Spike waved as they slowly made their way towards the café. Checking once more to see that they were gone, he quickly headed towards the stall with silver jewelry.

"$40 for that ring, you say?" Spike asked as he reached for his wallet.

***

"Night, guys. Maybe see you tomorrow?" Buffy waved as Willow, Anya, and Xander headed towards their car. She tried not to smile too much at the thought of Spike driving her home, her boyfriend driving her home. One day she'd get used to that, but right now she was still a little giddy. All through dinner he'd stayed close to her, caressing her leg under the table or rubbing her back or pulling her close to him--it was so comforting, the way he made her feel secure and natural when he was near. And she could do the same to him--he seemed to like it when she gently touched his hand or just leaned up against him. Buffy's earlier insecurities were slowly dissipating, and she was now basking in the light of having a boyfriend who really liked her. She grinned as he opened the door for her.

"What's so funny? Got a secret to share or something?" He climbed into his side and turned towards her. "What, no telling? Gonna make me tickle it out of you?"

"Depends on what you tickle." Buffy grinned goofily as she saw the shocked expression on his face. "What, you're the only one who's allowed to tease?"

Spike leaned forward, smirking. "Oh, you can tease. Just know I may not settle for just that." He curled his tongue as he settled back into his seat and started the engine.

"Drive fast. Maybe my mom won't be home yet." She giggled as he gunned the engine.

A few minutes later they pulled up to a dark house with an empty driveway. She had been kidding before about her mom not being home, but now it looked as though it were true. Her tummy began rippling in anticipation of what they might do in her mom's absence.

They quietly walked up to the porch, hand in hand. Buffy reached to put the key in the door when another set of headlights pulled into the driveway.

"Damn. She's home," Buffy noted, her voice slightly disappointed.

Spike rubbed her hand encouragingly. "S'okay, pet. Being secretive's half the fun." He chuckled as Buffy blushed while opening the door.

Soon thereafter Mrs. Summers followed. "Hey, Buffy. Spike. Did you guys have fun at the fair?" Joyce asked as she passed them in the living room.

"Yes, Mrs. Summers. It was a lot of fun."

"Oh, mom, there was this really pretty ring that I wanted, but it was too expensive. You wanna go back with me and buy it as an early Christmas gift?" Buffy called out as she followed her mom into the kitchen to grab some drinks. Spike smiled at his little secret and planned how he might give it to her. He wondered if he'd be able to wait till Christmas.

Buffy returned shortly with drinks, and she sat next to him on the couch. "My mom's making tea, which means she'll probably sit in the dining room and read a little before going to bed." She pouted slightly.

Spike reached out to touch her cheek. "You're so cute when you pout. We don't have to make out all the time to prove anything. I'm content just to be here with you." He grinned when she smiled slowly. "And there'll be other times." He gently kissed her mouth, a mere brush of the lips that was sweet and yet thrilling. "Like I was thinking October 27? You could wear a pretty dress, I could wear a suit, and we'd meet up and dance somewhere?"

Buffy tried not to seem too excited, even though her heart was throwing up little fireworks inside. "Are you asking me to Homecoming?"

"Depends on if you're accepting." He smirked a little at her obvious attempt to hide her smile. "I promise I'll treat you right."

"Well, in that case." Buffy leaned in and softly kissed him. "I accept."

"Good. Now what's this about a co-ed sleepover?"

"Anya's inviting the gang back to her place after the dance. She's got a really nice house with a pool and hot tub and everything." Buffy played with his knuckles as they continued to chat about plans. This, this hand-holding, back-rubbing, cheek-touching affection mixed with this other thing, this teasing and laughing and smiling and talking--these things were sliding happiness all over her body. She glanced up at him, watching as he scoffed at Anya's attempts to make Xander more presentable and passionately described his band's next gig, and she felt that warmth increase with every grin and laugh and eye-twinkle.

When he finally got up to leave, he leaned in and kissed her, briefly but fully. His lips delicately swept over hers in a way that conveyed such affection, such tenderness, and yet it hinted at deeper desires and hopes. It thrilled her completely. "Good night, luv. Sweet dreams." His voice was low and intimate, and she had to control herself from pulling him inside again and dragging him up to her room.

Buffy waved goodbye and then closed the door. "Yum," she whispered, before running up the stairs and falling onto her bed. Licking her lips, she replayed the kiss and the various caresses and smiles and winks from the day until she fell asleep, a contented smile on her face.