Ch. 19: Playing Telephone

Buffy looked at herself in the mirror for the fiftieth time that day. She carefully brushed her lips with shiny gloss, ran her fingers through her hair, flung it back to make sure it was soft and touchable (because Spike liked her hair), turned round and round to make sure her outfit perfectly accentuated her curves without looking slutty—and then sat down again to wait for Spike to come over. When the doorbell rang, she shot up, did another round of checks, stopped for a moment because the twirling and abrupt movements (along with her jitterbugging heart) were starting to make her dizzy, and then nonchalantly strolled down the stairs. She licked her lips one last time and then threw open the door.

And there was Anya. Tear-streaked, red-nosed, and suddenly in her arms, sobbing into her shoulder. Buffy pushed down her feelings of disappointment that it wasn't Spike and did her best to comfort her friend.

They entered the house, and somehow Buffy maneuvered her hysterical friend over to the couch. She waited patiently, handing her tissues and rubbing her back reassuringly.

When she finally got control of her breathing, Anya attempted to explain. "I'm sorry to bother you, but I just needed someone to talk to." Sighing dramatically, she launched into her brief explanation. "Xander broke up with me!" she wailed, starting to cry again.

Buffy sat with her mouth gaping. "What?!? How is that possible?" she asked, her brow furrowed in confusion. Her questions were drowned out by Anya's renewed sobbing, resulting in Buffy's damp shoulder. They sat that way for a while, Buffy doing her best to calm her friend's nerves. "It'll be okay," she murmured. "I'm sure things will work out for you." Suppressing her curiosity, she merely sat and waited to hear the details.

"I just don't get what happened," Anya whispered as she brushed away the hair starting to stick to her teary face. "I mean, I thought we were having such a wonderful time at the beach, but I guess Xander just hated it." She sniffed loudly and took a deep breath, preparing herself for the story. "We were sharing a room, you know, because my brother let us switch, and then it was just like we were living together. Like we were married. You know?" Her lip quivered as she recalled the memories. "And I would choose what outfit for him to wear, and he would tell me which outfit looked the best on me, and then we would use the bathroom together, and all of that! I don't understand what could've gone wrooonnng!" she sobbed, throwing herself back into Buffy's arm with renewed bawling.

Of course, at that very moment, the doorbell rang. Hesitant to disengage herself but giddy over the prospect of seeing Spike, she contemplated how to get up without making Anya feel unwanted. She didn't have to think for long, because Dawn came sailing down the stairs.

"I'll get it!" she said sweetly. Smoothing her hair and putting on her nonchalant face, Dawn swung open the door and leaned slightly against it, her long legs curving nicely.

"Hey, bit," Spike said affectionately as he ruffled her hair a little. He didn't notice her look of bitterness in his eagerness to see Buffy. "Hey, what--?" He gave Buffy a look of confusion as he heard Anya blow her nose into her friend's shirt.

Buffy smiled weakly and shrugged a little. It wasn't the ideal situation, but he looked so fabulous that she just drank in his body for a while.

He came over and gave Buffy a quick kiss on the mouth before plopping down on the sofa. "Hey, An. What's--"

"No, don't you pretend like you don't know what's going on." She swiftly turned to stare at him, red-faced and angry. "You're his friend and you probably brainwashed him into thinking that we were better off apart. You!" She began smacking him on the thighs and chest, her tears blinding her aim but not lessening her strength.

"Ow! Anya, stop!" Spike jumped up from the couch and began rubbing his chest. "What's the matter with you? I don't know what you're--"

"No! I won't listen. Buffy, get him out of here." Anya began to cry again. "Please, Buffy, just make him go away." She threw her body onto the couch and buried her head in a pillow.

Anya's suffering soul lay on the cushions, and Spike's lean, hard body stood waiting to be tasted. But friendship had always come first, damn it. She stood and gave him a kiss, and Spike knew who had won.

"So, does this mean I won't even get to see you today?" he said, sighing, knowing it was impossible to avoid Anya's wails.

"I don't know." Buffy leaned and whispered, "She just got here, so she may need a little time. Can I call you later?"

He nodded and then brought her close for a hug. "God, but you feel good. You're just making this more difficult." He kissed her again and then quickly turned away. "Yeah, call me when you can." Squeezing her hand, he gave her a quick smile and then left.

Buffy tried not to let the scrunching of her heart keep her from comforting Anya. She pushed away all thoughts of Spike and focused on making her friend feel better.

--

"What do you mean, you just broke up? Gotta give me more than that." He lit a cigarette and waited for Xander to respond.

"You know, I guess I just got to thinking. Going away with her family, seeing her act all wife-y with the clothes and the sleeping and waking up, the demanding and the nagging and the expecting...it just got to be too much. I'm in high school, for Chrissake. I'm barely an adult, and Anya's already telling me what to wear? It was just scary." He slammed the stick into the cue ball and sighed as it thumped over the bank and onto the floor. He reached down to pick it up and began tossing it into the air. "I know everyone's going to think I'm an asshole for breaking up with her, but isn't it better now than later? I mean, who knows how long we would've lasted. And then if that's what it's going to be like, married...ugh." He shuddered.

"I understand what you're saying, but you sure she was all that? You don't think it was just the stress of going away with her family and all?" He motioned for the stick and began setting up his shot.

"Oh, you know how Anya can get. She's a total control freak. You remember planning the party, right?" He gave Spike a pointed look and then took a swig of soda. "She's just too structured for me. I like hanging out. Letting loose. Wearing baggy clothes. She's already trying to change me. I feel like I'm too young for all that shit."

"I guess she can be pretty intense. Anyway, I'm here for ya, man. If you need some time or want to hang out, just holler." He reached out and patted Xander on the back as they moved around the pool table.

"Thanks. I appreciate that. We'll see how it goes."

Xander shrugged and tried to pretend like it was nothing, like breaking up with his girlfriend of many months was nothing, but his unsteady stroke said otherwise. Spike noted Xander's movements but said nothing. He just blew a cloud of smoke into the air and hoped both of them were okay.

--

He had been dreaming of kissing Buffy, stroking her hair and running his hands over her ass when her pussy began vibrating against his thigh. She laughed at him but kept on vibrating. Finally he woke, his phone pulsing in his pocket.

He shook his head, clearing his mind of his dreams, and answered the phone. "Hello?" he mumbled.

"Oh, did I wake you? I'm sorry," Buffy whispered into the phone. "I know it's late, but I didn't want to go to sleep without talking to you. Go ahead and sleep."

"No, no, I'm awake. I'm glad you called. It's good to hear your voice." He willed himself awake and sat up in bed, shifting the phone to the other ear. "How's she doing?"

"Oh, she's had better days. Were you able to talk to Xander?" Buffy brushed her hair back, glancing at the way her face flushed at the sound of his voice.

Spike stifled a yawn and scratched his chest. "Yeah, I did. He pretends like it's no big, but he's hurting. I don't think he knew how much breaking up was going to affect him. Not sure how things are going to turn out, to be honest."

"I know." Buffy climbed into bed and snuggled into her pillow. "Anya's pretty bad. She was gonna sleep over, but at the last minute she decided she'd rather be in her own bed. She left about ten minutes ago." Buffy reached out to turn off her light.

"You're a good friend." He smiled in the dark and pictured her beautiful face. "Are you tired?"

"Yeah, totally. Being a good friend is hard work." She giggled a little. "But it's nice unwinding with you. I'm glad you're not asleep."

"Are you all ready for bed?"

"Yup. I'm in my PJs and in bed. I didn’t waste any time." She imagined the way he looked talking on the phone, that sexy smile of his creeping across his face. "Are you in bed?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm in bed and you're in bed...What PJs are you wearing?" he joked, teasing her but wondering as well.

Buffy's heart began speeding up. "Oh, I'm just wearing a tank top and panties. You wanna guess which ones?" It'd been too long since they'd spoken, and she couldn't resist flirting.

"Well, am I going to like them? Because if I don't, I might make you take them off." He licked his lips, picturing her little ass in panties, and began running his hand across his chest.

She laughed a little and then stretched out her legs, feeling her blanket rub against her skin. "Actually, I'm not sure if you'll like them or not. They're new. They're red, and they say, 'vixen' on the butt." Not true--she was wearing white cotton panties, but she could play the game as well as he could.

His cock jumped at her innocent voice suddenly lowering and whispering "vixen" into his ear. His hand wandered lower, sliding against his thighs and his cock. "You naughty girl. You've been shopping without me."

Buffy smiled a little and played along. "I know. I should've waited, but I couldn't. Should I take them off?" She bit her lip, waiting to see how far they were going to take it.

Spike closed his eyes and pictured her body, sprawled on her bed, waiting for him. He was so hard it hurt. He breathed in slowly, licked his lips, and said, "Oh, yes. You've been bad, and I think I need to spank you."

His voice curled into the phone and caressed Buffy's body. It beckoned her to be naughty, to lower her voice and let him seduce her, but she wasn't quite confident enough to play that game. She giggled nervously, not quite knowing what to say to that.

His eyes flew open when he heard her tense up and hesitate. No, there was no way he could stop now. He switched tactics quickly and hoped she'd be willing to follow him. "I wish we could've spent more time together today. You looked beautiful, even if I only saw you for five minutes." She had. He'd loved everything about her today, and he had done his best not to be bitter about Anya and Xander's intrusion on their reunion after break.

Buffy warmed up to his compliments, though she wondered why he was so quick to abandon what seemed to be an interesting direction in their conversation. "Yeah, we'll have to make up for it tomorrow. You wanna come over after school?" Her heart began to beat at a normal pace again.

"Definitely. But I miss you." He took a breath, and then took a plunge. "You know what I would do if I were with you right now?"

And then her heart began to race again. "What?" she whispered.

He smiled at her slightly breathy answer. It made him a little more confident, knowing that she was a little more willing. "Well, first I'd give you a proper kiss, you know, to remind you of my lips since we've been apart for so long. Those little kisses I gave you weren't enough.

"I'd never forget your lips." She lightly touched them, recalling the way they heated up whenever he got near. In the far recesses of her mind, she felt that she was about to do something naughty, and that merely got her more excited.

"Well, in case your memory got hazy, I'd kiss you. I'd hold your body, feel your hair, and just kiss you." He imagined her body against his, the way she smelled, the way her heart beat against his chest whenever they kissed. And he began stroking his cock lightly. "Would you like that?"

"Yes, I love the way you kiss me," she said shyly. There was something about honesty that came out when they weren't directly in front of each other. It made her heart sing, knowing that he had imagined their meeting.

Spike's voice lowered a notch. "I would kiss you until your lips were swollen and your cheeks were flushed. And then I'd nibble on your neck, the sweet skin of your neck. Does that sound good?"

Buffy closed her eyes and imagined the way he kissed her, the way his lips skittered across her neck. It was such an amazing feeling. She ran her fingers over her skin, her touches becoming Spike's lips. "Mmhmm," she murmured.

He smiled at the picture in his mind, her body sprawled on her bed and the phone nestled against her ear. "You taste so delicious." His cock was getting harder at the sound of her breathing, and he continued to run his hand around his length. "And I'd taste your breasts, your lovely breasts."

Buffy moaned a little, her hands running over her body and squeezing her nipples as he spoke. His voice was so sexy; just the very sound of him got her panties wet. "Yes, I like that."

"What do you want me to do next?" He loved her breathless answer, but he wanted to know how far she was willing to take it.

She squeezed her eyes shut, took a deep breath, and answered, "I want you to, to, go down on me." He didn't answer at first, and Buffy was afraid she was asking too much, so she quickly added, "You know, while I do the same for you."

Spike groaned and shut his eyes tightly. His hand was firmly wrapped around his cock, and he had almost strangled himself at her words. God, he had the best girlfriend in the world! "Oh, baby, I'd love to do that. I wish I could be there to do that right now. Do you think you could help me out, and I can do the same?"

She knew what he was asking, and her hands were already sweating from their earlier words. But her hand had already wandered down there--it was just a matter of admitting it. "Okay," she whispered. And down her hand went, into her panties, searching for wetness. She breathed in quickly when she found it.

He heard her gasp and swiped his thumb over his head, catching its pre-cum. "I love the way you feel, the way you taste. I love that I give you pleasure."

Buffy was so lost in the pleasure that she took a while to respond. She slowed down a little and said quietly, "I love wrapping my tongue around you, the way you jump when I touch you." She bit her lip, hoping her words didn't sound stupid.

"Oh, god, you're so--" his words broke off by his quickened pants. Imagining her mouth on him, tasting him and loving it--the image was almost too much. "Are you close?"

She slid her fingers up against her clit and gasped at the luscious sensations zinging through her. His breathiness also made her hot, and she breathed, "Yeah, yeah." She tightened her thighs against her hand and searched for that cliff to jump off of.

Spike quickened his strokes, the whole time listening to her tiny mews and breaths of pleasure. He imagined her face, eyes screwed shut and breasts heaving as her hand wove through his hair. God, she was so sexy. He could feel himself climbiing, climbing--"Buffy!" he burst out.

"Oh, god, Spike," she whimpered, her clit throbbing against her and her body taut with pleasure.

He lay back, breaths slowing and legs weakening. "God, I missed you, pet." He smiled shyly.

"I missed you, too." She smiled back.