Ch. 5: Not Better than Ice Cream

"Um, sure," Buffy said. "I'm Buffy," she introduced as he led her onto the dance floor.

"My name's Angel," he said as they began to sway to the music. "I just transferred to Sunnydale U, so I just started my second year. What about you?"

"Actually, I'm a senior in high school," Buffy said, slightly embarrassed. She couldn't help feeling a little disappointed that it wasn't Spike asking, but she had never been approached by a total stranger. She decided to back in that information and not think about Spike. She looked into Angel's brown eyes and decided that he was a little cute, though not really her type—thin, blonde, blue-eyed, hot. She sighed softly and looked up at him again. "Are you new to California?"

"Yeah, actually I'm from the East Coast so I don't really know a lot about how things are out here. So, maybe if you want to show me around, I'd really appreciate it." Angel gazed into her hazel eyes, thinking about how gorgeous this girl was. He was a little surprised that she was only in high school, her clothes and makeup giving the appearance of someone more mature, but he was only a year or two older, and there was something about high school girls that made them rather delectable.

***

He was too late. Some tall forehead had already asked her to dance, and so he was now without a target, directionless. He heard a sultry voice behind him.

"You wanna pretend you were coming for me? Because I'm willing to dance if you are," Faith said, eyeing him coyly.

"Faith, haven't seen you around in a while. Decided school wasn't your thing?" Spike replied, easing into his cocky side.

"Well, sometimes Biology needs to be little more physical—more field work, less book work. You know what I'm saying?" She moved towards him and lightly moved her hand down his chest. "But if you're willing to tutor me, I'm a really good student."

Spike caught her hand. "Actually, I think my bandmate is a little more interested in tutoring you." He looked over at Devon, drinking a beer moodily.

"Who's to say I can't have more than one teacher?" Faith said saucily.

Spike chuckled. "You are something. Can I buy you a drink?"

"Sure thing," she said, linking her arm in his.

***

"Are you sure you don't mind hanging out with a high school girl?" Buffy said, her insecurity getting the best of her, her new clothes and makeup starting to wear off in their confidence. She bit her lip nervously and looked down while continuing to move to the music.

The effect of her lowered lashes and bit lip was quite enticing, and Angel had to stop himself from leaning in and tasting her. "I don't mind at all, especially when that high school girl is as beautiful as you," he said, hoping his words didn't come out like the line that it was.

Buffy looked up quickly, her eyes widened by the compliment. She wasn't used to hearing such words, and suddenly her dance partner didn't seem so dorky or wide-shouldered. Suddenly his eyes seemed like chocolate instead of dirt, his hair like soft tufts of grass rather than hardened brambles. Suddenly he seemed pretty perfect.

"You think I'm beautiful?" she said shyly, looking deep into his eyes for some confirmation.

He smiled, knowing his words had worked their charm. "I know you're beautiful." He pulled her close and felt her little heart beating rapidly. He was beginning to like Sunnydale.

***

"So, tell me what happened! You ended up dancing with him consecutively, so I didn't get a chance to ask at the Bronze. It's a good thing we're doing this slumber party thing, because I don't know if I could've held out till tomorrow," Willow said, plopping onto the sleeping bag next to Buffy, her hands filled with Oreos and ice cream.

"Well, it was weird, you know? I wasn't really expecting anyone to ask me to dance—"

"Hoping for Spike, though," Willow interrupted. She looked into her pint of Chunky Monkey to avoid the evil glare Buffy was giving her.

"You don't have to rub it in," Buffy said, lightly pushing her friend.

"I know. I'm just teasing. Sorry, keep telling your story."

"Yes, tell us more about this Angel," Anya said, returning from the bathroom and helping herself to a pint of Cherry Garcia.

"So, when he asked me to dance, I just agreed because people never ask me to dance. I didn't think he was all that good-looking or anything when I first saw him. But then…" she trailed off, playing with the spoon in her Mint Chocolate Cookie. "He said I was beautiful."

"Oh my god, Buffy! That's huge! And didja blush and say, 'Thank you, kind sir.' Didja?" Willow said excitedly, her green eyes huge with glee.

Buffy grinned happily. "I definitely blushed. No one's ever said I was beautiful before. And then we danced some more, and talked some more, and it was just, well, nice. I'm supposed to show him around the town a little, since he just moved to the area." She grabbed an Oreo and began licking the cream center. "Do you think I should be worried that he's a college guy? I mean, I have no idea what he's like beyond what I saw today."

"Well, don't go giving away your v status or anything," Willow said seriously. "I'm serious," she said in response to Buffy's eye-rolling.

"Unless he's really good at giving you pleasure. Although he looks kind of hulking, which might make sex a little uncomfortable for you, since you're so much smaller than he is," Anya said thoughtfully, munching on a cookie.

"I just met the guy. Geez. I've never even kissed a guy before—what makes you guys think I'm going to go all the way with a guy I just met?"

"You didn't even think he was cute until he said you were beautiful. Don't you think that says something?" Willow said perceptively.

"That's only because I was hoping it was Spike. I've had this crush on him for years, and he's never looked twice at me. I think this is a good opportunity to move on, actually have the possibility of having a boyfriend for once in my sad existence. Can't you be happy for me?" Buffy whined, not wanting to dwell on the attraction that she wished were stronger between her and Angel.

"Of course we're happy for you!" Willow cried out. She nudged Anya to agree with her.

"Oh, yes. We're ecstatic," said Anya in a monotone. "He just looks a little weird to me."

Willow gave her an evil glare and continued. "He's definitely cute. You should totally take him around. Just don't hurt your hand on his gelled hair," Willow said, her grave tone belying the mirth dancing in her eyes.

The girls then burst into laughter, remembering the thickness and gross amount of gel Angel had put in his hair. They continued chatting and giggling and then proceeded to eat through all the remaining pints of ice cream and bags of Oreos scattered around the sleeping bags.

***

At the same time…

"So what happened to asking Buffy to dance?" Xander said as he furiously pressed the buttons to kill the evil forces coming at him in throngs.

"I was going to but then that poofy looking wanker asked her first, and then they pretty much stayed together for the rest of the night," Spike replied casually, more focused on wielding his sword to beat off the bad guys.

"Oh yeah, I heard Buffy introducing him to Willow. I think he's a college man. Watch it!" Xander yelled as Spike swiped him with his blade.

"Sorry 'bout that. College man, ey? Well, I don't like the looks of him. Just seems too involved with himself and his hair to see much of anyone else." Spike threw down the pad in defeat. "Stupid game."

Xander joined him in tossing the controls. "Yeah, well, looks like you're not in the game this time. But who knows what next week will bring?" Xander stood up and stretched. "I'm beat. I feel like I should play more since this is one of the few times I'm not hanging with Anya after bronzing. But I'm so tired I'm starting to see the Tetris blocks dropping in my mind." He yawned loudly.

"Man, we haven't played Tetris in years. You're still seeing those blocks?" Spike said as he stifled a yawn and scratched his abs.

"Yup, something about fatigue and late night video games. Always brings the same memory to mind. Anyway, I'm gonna head out, get some sleep before we get together for tomorrow's study group. You're going, right?"

"Of course. Can't let you idiots flunk out of Physics without my help, right?" he said snidely.

"It is completely unfair that you're so smart. There should be a rule or something against people like you getting straight As." Xander picked up his keys and headed towards the door.

"What can I say? I'm just perfect. Oof—" he said as Xander playfully jabbed him in the stomach.

"It's a good thing I still work out. Gotta have something to offer the group, even if it is just punching you whenever you get too annoying. I'll see you then," Xander said.

"Later," Spike said, waving goodbye. He walked back into the house and up to his room. Opening the window, he grabbed a cigarette and settled into the window seat. Sitting in the dark, looking out at the sky, he recalled seeing Buffy dancing with that poofter. He sighed, wondering what they had talked about, why she had blushed. He had spent a good portion of the night watching her, even while he had held a conversation with Faith. Faith, who had made it clear she was interested, was just too forward for him. He tended to go for girls who didn't need to keep showing off how strong and independent and confident they were—girls who simply were those things. Granted, his track record made him out to be rather misinformed about girls, but he still knew what he liked, even if he was wrong about the girls he thought he saw it in. Now Cecily, she had had confidence. So much, in fact, that she had no problem leading him on and then dropping him with as much humiliation and condescension as was possible for a girl, or so he thought. What he had perceived to be wit was really just snobbery, and what he had assumed were layers were actually just facades, and the genuine Cecily was not as beautiful as her exterior.

He exhaled slowly, thinking about his next girlfriend. Dru. Dru had been strong and confident in her eccentric ways, but she definitely hadn't been independent. She'd leaned on him so much that it became suffocating, and eventually he'd had to call things off. As much as he had fallen in love with her, he couldn't stand the way she'd wanted to consume him.

That had been a year ago, and he had only recently allowed himself to look at girls again, almost afraid of being devoured in the same way. He still was looking for that quiet strength and independence, that wit and intelligent manner, a beauty inside sparking the outside. He thought about Buffy again, how she'd looked tonight, how they'd been interacting lately. She had always struck him as a little too self-conscious, too defensive, too insecure. But this past year she had changed a little—or maybe he was just seeing her differently. The way she danced that day in her room—for some reason those movements refused to leave him. He was captivated by the luxurious power that seemed rooted in her hips, the intensity that seemed to radiate from her eyes, even when they were closed. He felt that underneath all her biting sarcasm and defense mechanisms, there was a girl of strength, intelligence, and sensuality—and he wanted to be the one to uncover it. It seemed silly that a simply dance could intrigue him so much, but he could not shake its allure.

He took a last puff of his cigarette and then went to the bathroom to wash up. Finishing by a cool splash of water to his face, he threw off his clothes and plopped onto his bed, letting the night air wash over him. He banished the thoughts of Buffy's dance partner and focused on Buffy. Closing his eyes, he let his dreams overtake him.