Eclipse of the Heart



By Heather Martin



 


 


Spoilers- Set during and after Smashed. I borrowed a few lines from Wrecked as well. Has spoilers for everything up to that point. Goes AU after that



Summary- B/S T/W A/X Something goes funky with Spike and Buffy after their coupling in the abandoned house. Meanwhile, a demon and a mysterious girl come to Sunnydale from the future.



 


 


Chapter Fifteen- Truths



The slayer was impossible to find. She hadn’t been out patrolling in a long time, and no one knew where she lived. Judas was at a loss. He had to find the bitch. It had become an obsession. Every waking hour was focused on killing the slayer. He had imagined thousands of glorifying ways to do her in. He even had a fantasy where Ges ate her up, except for the head, which he mounted on the wall.



After a few weeks of turning up nothing, he made his decision. He needed help. Someone who could find the whereabouts of Buffy Summers.



He asked around at Willie’s Bar, the supreme place to gather information. That was how he heard of the witch Celeste. She was known for her black magic, the darkest there was. Rumor had it she had died and gone to hell once. The devil allowed her to return with the gift of powers, granted she used the arts to spread havoc on earth.



She would aid him in discovering where the slayer was. And then he could hack her up into little pieces. Or throw her in a pit of fire. Or stab her a hundred times. Or . . . There were just so many ways.



*************************


Willow stepped into the kitchen. The aroma of something baking filled her nostrils. “Mmmm, I smell yummy goodness,” she commented.



“Cheese lasagna. With garlic bread,” Buffy informed, opening the oven to check on the food. “Few more minutes.”



A smile formed on the red-head’s mouth. “I think you’re getting a grip on the cooking deal.”



“Well, it’s frozen. I just stick it in the oven.”



“True,” Willow agreed. “But, you got the timing deal down. No more burnt-ness.”



The slayer went over to the cupboard and got down some plates.



“I can set the table,” Willow offered.



“Thanks, Will.”



Buffy handed over the stack of china. Willow eyed the plates with a frown. She counted five.



“Buffy, why are there five plates? There are only four people in the house.” Then a thought struck her. “Is Tara coming for dinner?”



Hating to disappoint her, Buffy didn’t want to tell her the truth. Tara still wasn’t comfortable around Willow. She did ask about her, though. That was good. It meant she still cared.



“Sorry, no. Spike’s coming,” Buffy said.



“Spike?” Willow asked in surprise.



“Yeah.”



Willow furrowed her brow. “Not that I’m opposed to seeing him, but can I ask why? You never seemed too hospitable toward him before.”



“I know,” Buffy confessed. “But he’s human now. I feel like I should be nice to him. I mean, he has a soul now.”



The witch nodded. “He does. I think Spike could use a little friendship because of it. I sense sadness coming off him, even if he hides it well. He’s getting better, though. He isn’t all ‘Woe is me, please change me back’ anymore.”



“It’s weird,” stated Buffy. “Hearing Spike and friendship in the same sentence.”



“Definitely,” replied Willow.



“Is the world gonna end now?”



“Naw, not till Xander uses the ‘f’ word in regards to Spike.”



“We’re probably safe. Besides, if this is a sign of an apocalypse, I‘ll just stop it. That‘s what we slayers do.”



*************************



Spike stood outside the Summers’ house. He glanced down at his clothes and frowned. Why the hell did he decide to wear this again? He had on a blue shirt and jeans. He fidgeted, longing for his usual duster and black ensemble. Sod the ’boy next door’ routine. He was early, he could always run back to the apartment and change.



Just then the door swung open. Buffy stood there. She looked him up-and-down, studying him. She smiled. “Did Rainbow Bright visit you?”



“What are you goin on about?”



Laughing she said, “Never mind. I like it. Matches your eyes.”



Shocked, Spike stared at her. Maybe wearing something different was a good idea after all.



She cracked the door wider, allowing him passage.


“So, slayer, how’d ya know I was here? I didn’t get a chance to knock. Were you watchin for me?”



She replied quickly,” What? No! I-I just went by the window and noticed you were on the porch.”



A smirk came to his lips. “Right, luv.”



It wasn’t long before the food was done. Buffy took it out of the oven and dished it out on their plates. They gathered in the dining room to eat. Spike sat beside Alexis, and Buffy sat beside her sister. Willow ended up on the end of the table.



“This is good, Buffy,” Willow stated after taking a bite.



“Thanks,” Buffy responded.



The only male in the room eyed Buffy’s plate in dismay. She had the smallest pieces of lasagna and garlic bread. She really should eat more, he thought. Especially if she is eating for two now.



“It’s good to see you, Spike,” Dawn said with a happy grin.



“You too, Lil’ Bit.”



Their small talk continued. Alexis remained generally quiet, seemingly lost in her own contemplations.



Suddenly Buffy stood up.



“Buffy, is something wrong?” Willow asked, concerned.



Without saying a word, Buffy put her hand over her mouth, fleeing the room. She ran up the stairs and into the bathroom. Spike stood up, knowing exactly what was going on. He went after his slayer.



He found her bent over the toilet, retching up all that she had consumed. He realized then that this must be why she had so little on her plate.



A moan escaped Buffy. Spike moved, pulling her hair out of the way.



“You all right, pet?”



“Do I look all right!?” she inquired, testily.



Spike heard Willow and Dawn come up the stairs. The two made it into the bathroom, taking in the scene.



“Buffy!” Dawn gasped. “Are you okay?”



Buffy flushed the toilet. She went over to wash her face. “Fine. I’m fine,” she assured.



“No you’re not!” Dawn exclaimed. “I’ve heard you throw up a lot lately.”



Buffy looked over, her eyes wide in panic.



“You thought I didn’t know? Well, I do.”



“How long have you been sick?” Willow asked.



The slayer didn’t answer.



“You need to go to the doctor,” Willow continued.



“Willow’s right,” Dawn said. “There could be something really wrong. I don’t want to lose you. Not-Not like Mom.”



Softly, Buffy said, “You aren’t going to lose me. I’m not dying.”



“How do you know that?” Dawn questioned. “Please, go to the doctor.”



“I’ve gone,” confessed Buffy.



“What did he say? What is wrong?”



The slayer shared a look with Spike. “I’m pregnant.”



**************************



Alexis stood at the bottom of the stairs. She listened to the conversation going on upstairs, intently.



“You’re pregnant? As in having a baby?” Willow asked in disbelief.



“Look the term up in the dictionary. I’m sure you’ll find the definition to mean that, yes,” Buffy said.



“How?”



“Will, I’m pretty sure you went through sex education.”



“I mean . . . Buffy, who have you been with?”



Alexis held her breath. This was the turning point.



“Spike.”



“Spike?”



“Did you hit your head today, Will? Cuz your brain and hearing isn’t quite so good.”



“I’m trying to grasp this and it’s hard. I don’t understand how this could happen. Are you and Spike together? As in all couply?”



“No.” It was Spike who spoke. He had basically been quiet until then. “We aren’t together in that way.” His voice was toneless.



“It was a mistake,” Buffy told her friend. “I never meant for this to happen. I’m not ready to be a mother. I don’t even know if I’ll ever be ready.”



Alexis had heard enough. She rushed to the door and ran out. On her way, she bumped into someone. When she looked up, she came face-to-face with Giles.



Giles stared at her long and hard. She gulped.


“I know who you are,” Giles stated.



__________________________________________________



End of chapter 15. Till next time.