Eclipse of the Heart



By Heather Martin



 


 


Spoilers- Set during and after Smashed. I borrowed a few lines from Wrecked as well. Has spoilers for everything up to that point. Goes AU after that



Summary- B/S T/W A/X Something goes funky with Spike and Buffy after their coupling in the abandoned house. Meanwhile, a demon and a mysterious girl come to Sunnydale from the future.



 


 


Chapter Sixteen- Secrets Out



Alexis opened her mouth, unable to speak. Her expression was full of alarm.



“Buffy and Spike don’t know, I take it?” Giles said.



The girl shook her head. “No, nobody was supposed to. Not even you. You were the one that went on about the danger of it all too. How ironic, huh?”



“Yes, quite. I do believe I was right. Knowing who you are could drastically change history. The bit of information would make Buffy and Spike do things differently.”



“How’d you find out?” Alexis questioned.



He adjusted his glasses. “I was researching the cause of Spike’s transformation. I came across a very interesting prophecy.”



“Oh, that.”



“Yes, that.”



“It’s not as spectacular as it sounds.”



“Oh, really? Cleansing the world of vampires and demons isn’t as important as it sounds? Sorry if I don’t accept that.”



“I don’t do much. I just stand around and look pretty while power streams out of me. Kinda like the key. But I don’t have to bleed. Which is good. The Glory story always gave me the wiggins.”



The ex-watcher couldn’t help but smile. He could see the same spirit Buffy possessed inside her.



“We have to keep this a secret,” Alexis informed.



“I agree . . . Alexis Summers.”



“Alexis Anne Shayne,” she corrected.



“Dear lord, that is Spike’s last name?”



“Yep.”



“And Buffy marries him?”



He couldn’t hold back any longer, and reached for his glasses to clean.



Serious, Alexis nodded. “Somehow, although, I’m not seeing any sparks just yet.”



***************************



Upstairs, Willow, Dawn, Buffy, and Spike, were still in the bathroom. They had fallen silent, not sure what to say. It was Dawn who decided to act. She stepped up to her sister and gave her a hug.



“It will be okay,” assured Dawn. “You’re going to be a good mother. I know it. And you won’t have to deal alone. I fully take on the responsibility of aunt-ness.”



The slayer held Dawn back hard. “I’m scared,” she whispered.


The roles seemed to be reversed then. Dawn had taken over being the older sibling. She reached up and tucked a lock of hair behind Buffy’s ear.



“Don’t not want this baby. Please, Buffy. This should be the most amazing, exciting thing that ever happened to you. Come on, Buffy, it’s a baby,” Dawn told her.



Buffy jerked away. “I do want this baby. That’s the hard part. I want it so bad. But I am so afraid I’ll screw up. How can I not?” Her gaze landed on Spike for a few seconds before jolting away again. “I’ve already made so many mistakes concerning my own life. I don’t want to make more for someone else’s.”



That made Willow come forward. “Did you hear Dawn say that you aren’t alone? Well, she‘s right. We’re here for you. The whole gang. You have a whole army ready to fight with you.”



A small, wobbly, smile came to Buffy’s lips. “Th-Thanks. But I doubt Xander is going to rush at signing up for the cavalry.”



“Not right away,” agreed Willow. “But he’s your friend. He’ll come around. And the sooner you tell him, the sooner he will.”



The three girls pulled in for a group hug.



***************************



Spike watched the girls hug. He had been there through the entire discussion and they hardly noticed he was there. He was an outsider and that would never change. No matter how much he changed himself.



“I’ll go see how Xander’s doing. If he’s in a good mood I’ll give you a call,” he heard Willow say.



The bleached-blonde slipped past them, exiting the bathroom. He began his descent down the stairs.



“Spike!?”



He turned around to see Buffy. She stood at the top of the stairs, giving him a questioning look.



“Where are you going?”



“I’m gonna push off. Don’t rightly think I should be around when you break the news to the whelp,” he replied.



Her green eyes enlarged. “You’re leaving? This concerns you. You helped make this mess. I think you should be around to help clean it up.”



The words stung. He hated the way she referred to their creation as a mistake. How could she say she wanted it, but yet act like it was an abomination?



“Sticking around is only going to make it worse, Buffy,” he explained. “Harris hates me enough as it is.”



A sigh escaped Buffy. She nodded. “You’re right. All right, go.”



“I’ll be back. I’m not abandoning you.”



She gave him a long, intense stare. “I know.”



*************************



Buffy sat down on the couch. She felt as if a giant weight had lifted off her shoulders. Four down, one to go.



“Buffy?”



She looked up to see Dawn standing a few feet away.



“Yeah, Dawnie?”



“Why did you sleep with Spike?” Dawn asked.



A very good question. Buffy would love to know the answer to that one herself.



“I-I dunno,” Buffy confessed. “It’s been so hard since I’ve been back. I . . .”



It seemed like an excuse. There had to be a better reason than that.



“Do you love him?”



Buffy’s eyes widened. “No. Why would you think that?”



“Just . . . I wanted you to know that it is all right if you do. And if not, okay. But if you do later, that’s all right too.”



Buffy didn’t answer. Having said what she had wanted, Dawn left the room.



*************************



Willow called Buffy about twenty minutes later.



“Come on over to the Magic Box. I know it’s Sunday, but Anya wants to get some work done when there aren’t any customers. Xander’s here and in a good mood. I think Anya and he had some fun in the cellar before I came over.”



“Willow! Too much info!” Buffy exclaimed.



“Sorry,” her friend apologized.



It wasn’t long before Buffy and Dawn made it to the store. Buffy took a moment to brace herself before going to the door. It was locked, but Willow let her inside. The witch went back to the table afterward, typing away on her laptop. Xander was leaning on the counter, while Anya stood next to him. She was taking things out of a box.



At the sight of Buffy and Dawn, Xander straightened. “Hey, glad you could join the party.”



Buffy forced a smile.



Anya held up a CD. “Look, the shipment of music came in.”



“Huh? I thought this was a magic shop, not Sam Goody,” remarked Buffy.



“It’s New Age,” the ex-demon said as if it explained it all. “I heard this will bring me lots of money.”



Willow glanced over. “You know, that is a misconception.”



“It won’t bring me money?”



“Not that. About New Age music. Real witches don’t necessarily listen to that. Although, Enya’s not too bad.”



“I have Enya!” Anya dug in the box. She brought out the CD in triumph. “I also have Yanni, Tangerine Dream, and Enigma.”



Buffy fidgeted. She wanted the prattle to continue so she didn’t have to actually do what she came there to do, but she also wanted to get it over with.



“Guys!” Dawn got everybody’s attention.



“What, Dawn-miester?” Xander asked.



“Uh . . .”



Gathering her slayer strength, Buffy announced, “I have something important to say.”



All attention fell on her. For some odd reason she wished Spike was there. She didn’t know why. It’s not like his presence would have helped any. He had been right. Him being there just would have complicated things even more.



Well, why bother building things up? Better to just get to the point.



“I’m pregnant.”



Anya dropped the CD she was holding. It fell to the floor with a thump. She didn’t even bother to acknowledge that her fingers no longer clutched the item. All the life seemed to have left her. The others saw Anya’s reaction, but were more concerned about Buffy’s confession.



“Is this a joke?” Xander choked out.



“No, Xander, it’s not,” Buffy answered.



Stunned, Xander blinked. “How could you let this happen?”



She looked away.



“With who? Last time I checked you were single.”



“I am.”



“What? So what is this? Artificial insemination?”



Buffy shook her head.



“Well, doubt you’re the next Virgin Mary. So tell me, Buff, what happened?” Xander spat.



“Sp-Spike,” she got out.



“Excuse me?”



“Spike. It was Spike.”



All of a sudden Xander burst out laughing. He pointed a finger. “Good one, guys. You had me going there for a sec.”



Dawn took a step forward. “This isn’t a joke, Xand. Buffy’s going to have a baby and Spike’s the father.”



He surveyed the others, realizing by their faces that it wasn’t a joke. His laughter faded to be replaced with anger.



“It’s true then? And you all knew?”



Willow got to her feet. “I just found out today. I . . .”


“You knew when you came in here all smiles and laughs,” he said to Willow accusingly. His gaze traveled to Buffy. “And you didn’t want to tell me. I was the last one to find out.”



The words were rich with venom. She shivered from the malice they held. She raised her head to see the coldness in his brown eyes that were usually soft and caring.



“You don’t love him, do you?”



“No,” Buffy answered.



“I don’t understand. Why did you do it?” Worry crept into his expression. “Did he force you?”



She was quick to reply. “No! God, no!”



“Then why? All those times I told Spike to get lost. That he never had a chance with a girl like you.”



“You don’t know how hard it’s been just being here. After I was brought back . . . It’s been so hard. I needed something. I . . . I made a mistake thinking Spike could give it to me.”



Xander laughed. It was different than before. This time it was bitter.



“You thought Spike would give you something? Well he certainly did, didn’t he!? It wasn‘t what you were looking for, though, was it?”



“It just happened, okay.”



“Oh, like, ‘Say, you’re evil, get on me’?”



Her green eyes flashed with warning. “He’s human now, Xander.”



“That doesn’t change who he is. He’s still Spike,” Xander threw back.



“Even without a soul and beating heart he wasn’t what you are condemning him of. He fought by your side all summer. He looked after Dawn.”



“But I never forgot what he really was. And I don’t see him out donating to charity now. He seems like the same evil bleached wonder to me.”



Buffy clenched her hands. She fought the urge to deck one of her best friends in the jaw.



“Let’s stop. All I wanted was to tell you. You can feel anyway you want about it, but I have the right to do what I choose. My personal life isn’t any of your business,” she told him.



“It used to be.”



No one spoke for a moment.



“This is finished,” Buffy announced.



“Yeah, it is,” Xander agreed. He turned around. “Let’s go, Any. . .”



Anya was gone. The wrapped CD she had dropped still lay on the floor.



“She left,” Willow informed. “She seemed pretty upset about something.”



Xander nodded. “I know you don’t believe it, but Anya really is smart. I think I’ll follow her lead.”



With that, Xander stormed out of the store.



______________________________________________________



 


What has Anya so upset? Hmm . . . And will Xander and Buffy ever make up? What about Spike? Will Buffy ever love him?



What do you think?