Chapter 21-Future Events Part I


(2016)



Alexis opened the door and entered her house. She gestured for Sirena to follow. The other girl obeyed. She was the same age as Alexis, with short brown hair and emerald eyes. She acted shy around everyone except her best friend and family.



“Come on, we’ll find my mom and ask about you spending the night,” Alexis stated.



Sirena nodded. She followed Alexis. They searched the house, finding it empty.



Puzzlement fell over Alexis. “Mom should be home. She doesn’t work today.”



“Do you think she went shopping?” Sirena offered.



Alexis shrugged. “Maybe. She might have gone out to buy Aunt Dawn a birthday present.”



That was when the door was heard opening. Both girls hurried to see who it was. Buffy and Giles entered the living room. Alexis froze at the expressions on their faces. She moved a hand in front of Sirena, blocking her from leaving the kitchen also.



“Something is wrong,” Alexis whispered. “Mom and Grandpa Giles look worried.”



The two adults sat down on the couch. Buffy sighed. “I can’t believe this is happening. I thought I’d never have to deal with this sort of thing again.



“Yes, so did I,” Giles replied.



Next to the kneeling Alexis, Sirena whispered, ”We shouldn’t be spying.”



Alexis hissed at her friend to stay quiet.



“So is that our only option? Why can’t Willow and Tara just do a spell to send him back to hell?” Buffy questioned.



Alexis turned toward Sirena. The girl was intent on eavesdropping too now. It was the mention of her mothers, no doubt. Sirena had been adopted by both Willow and Tara. She had barely been seven months old when her parents died. The two witches were the only ones she could remember bringing her up.



“It’s not that simple, Buffy,” Giles informed. “Spells from this time won’t reach into the past.”



“How convenient.”



Alexis stiffened. Past? This was too weird.



“So, I’m sorry, but the only way to stop this is to send someone back.”



“And it has to be Alexis?” Buffy said it flatly.



“Sending one of us is out of the question. The same atoms can’t exist in the same time.” Giles looked over at his substitute daughter. He understood how she felt. He had experienced it every time he sent her off to another apocalypse. But it simply had to be done when the world was at risk.



Giles touched Buffy’s arm. “She’s the only one capable of doing this. She has the strength and the passion. She can stop this.”



A nod of comprehension came from the former slayer. Darkness suddenly crossed her face. “But at what cost?”



___________________________________________



: ) More is on its way.