Chapter Twenty-Five- Tipsy



Buffy had drifted off against her will. She jarred back awake when a pounding hit her ears. As she was brought out of her groggy state, she realized that it was someone knocking on the door.



“Who is it?” the slayer called.



Out in the hall, the visitor timidly replied. “It-It’s me.”



She instantly stood up. She went to the door and flung it open to come face-to-face with Alexis. The girl still looked worn-out, but she was fully alert.



“Would you like to come in?” Buffy questioned. She widened the entrance invitingly.



Alexis cautiously stepped into the dim bedroom. Her eyes landed on her future father’s form.



“Is he. . . Will he be all right?”



Buffy took a deep breath. “I hope so.”



The teen hugged herself. She seemed cold and lost. “I’m sorry I lied.” The words were soft. “I didn’t want to.”



There was an awkward silence.



Buffy wondered what Alexis must be thinking right then. All the terrible things she had said about her pregnancy had to have hit the girl hard. Buffy felt absolutely guilty about that.



“I’m sorry too.”



“For what?” Alexis asked, confused.


Buffy pulled Alexis into her arms. “For saying things I didn’t mean. I love you, Alexi. I’m so glad you were brought to us.”



Involuntary tears sprung to Alexis’s eyes. She held her mother back hard. “I love you too . . . Mom.”



***********************



Downstairs, Willow also opened a door to someone.



“Xander Harris, where have you been?” she demanded.



The man entered the house, offering a smile. “Hey, Will. Sorry I wasn’t around yesterday. I was sorta a busy bee.”



“So were we. Everyone had to rescue Alexis and face the big bad.”



Xander removed his jacket. He hung it up by the door.



“Wish I could have been there. Sounds like fun.” There was no sarcasm in his voice. “And that’s saying a lot.”



Willow frowned. “Where were you?”



His face darkened. “Oh, well, I was at Sunnydale Memorial with Anya for awhile watching my offspring on a screen. That wasn’t the bad part. The bad part came after.”



The two friends went into the living room. They both sat down on the couch, facing each other.



“I can’t imagine what could be worse than facing a vampire and super-witch,” Willow commented.



“This was far worse, let me assure you. I would have rather spent a whole day locked in a closet with Spike than have to do what I did yesterday.”



Willow’s eyes enlarged. “Wow. So, what was the mega evil thing you faced? Don’t keep me in suspense.”



He sighed. “My parents.”



Instantly Willow understood. The Harris elders were a nightmare. She knew that as much as Xander. She must have come over a billion times, and each time she had been greeted with the sound of screaming. After moving out of the basement, Xander hoped that he would never have to see Mrs. and Mr. Harris again.



“So, I take it that didn’t go well.”



“It was strange. I expected yelling and a big lecture. Instead I was greeted by two strangers. Sure, my mother was disappointed that I eloped, but she respected my decision. They even congratulated us on our future and children. I found out they are going to marital counseling. Dad is also a member of AA.”



Willow blinked in surprise. “I don’t see the badness here.”



“That’s just it. There wasn’t any. It was unnerving. Like my whole world had been shifted upside down.”



“And you would have rather been in a battle? Or spent a day with Spike?” She laughed at how absurd it sounded.



Xander nodded. “At least I know what to expect in both cases.”



“Xan,” Willow said, putting her hand on his. “I’m gonna have to shift that world of yours a little off kilter again.”



“Huh? What?” He groaned.



“Well, ya know Alexis?”


“Of course. How could I forget future-girl?”



“Well, you missed out on a lot yesterday. Let me fill you in.”



***********************



White. That was the only thing Spike saw. It surrounded him in all directions, closing him in. It bathed him, physically warming him, and yet leaving him mentally cold. He knew what this meant and he didn’t want it. Not now. Please, not now. Not when Buffy needed him. Not when Alexis was growing inside her. Not when evil was after them both.



“Hello, William,” a voice said. It was sweet and airy. It sounded feminine, but he wasn’t quite sure. Hell, maybe it was both.



Spike spun around. He didn’t see anyone.



“Where are you? Whose talking?” he demanded.



“I am all around you. I am the leader of this realm.”



He suddenly felt faint. “Oh no. Bloody hell no! Don’t tell me I’m speaking with God.”



There was laughter.



“What is so bloody hilarious!?”



“You think this is heaven, mortal?” the voice asked.



“I don’t know what to think. I must be dead. If I wasn’t I’d be back home with my slayer.”



“Oh, but you are.”



Spike’s face scrunched into a confused expression. “Don’t speak in riddles. I know that isn’t true. I can’t be in two places at once.” He paused. “Although, my daughter seems to have managed it.”



“This is an in-between world. Your mind and soul are here, while your body remains on earth. This place is neither heaven nor hell. Neither good nor bad. It simply serves as a sanctuary for those in wait.”



“Wait for what?”



“Wait to see if they will return or move on.”



“Oh, so I’m not dead then?”



“Not yet.”



“Hey! So, you mean I might be soon?”



“I didn’t say that either.”



A frustrated growl emerged from Spike’s throat.



“Stop! Just tell me if I am going to die or not!” Spike shouted.



Somehow Spike knew the owner of the voice was smirking.



“You may return, William. But you can’t the same way you left.”



“What does that mean?” He breathed in deeply.



“Your essence was fractured by the dark witch. It was not molded properly when you changed and was easy to break apart. We must repair it.”



“Oh, great. How long will that take?”



“Not long,” the entity replied.



Spike nodded. “Right then. Do it and send me on my merry way.”



“Are you not curious as to what mending your essence entails?”



“Not much as long as it gets me back to my slayer.”



“Very well. I think I’ll tell you anyway.”



Spike shook his head. Figures.



The voice continued, explaining the process. “We must bind your demon to the soul of William.”



“Demon? I thought I lost that.”



“No. The change made you human but did not destroy the demon. It simply let William into the driver’s seat. We have to get the demon behind the wheel as well to make you stable.”



“Makes perfect sense now,” Spike remarked with sarcasm. “Just do the bloody thing already.”



“As you wish.”



_________________________________________________________



What do you think? Like the idea?