AN- I never meant for this to be so long. And it isn’t even action stuff. It is mostly talking. I don’t know how it turned out to be so long.



Chapter Twenty-Eight- Tender Loving



A few days went by. Alexis couldn’t believe the change she witnessed. Her parents had gone through a complete turnaround. They laughed together and couldn’t stop touching. It was actually pretty cute. They were in love and the whole world could see.



Tara and Willow were looking pretty cozy too. The blond witch came around more often. The two would sneak off to be alone. Alexis could only guess what for.



Alexis leaned against the island, watching Buffy and Spike. They were currently squabbling over dinner. She smiled at the scene. She was used to it back home.



“You heat the sauce last,” Spike said. “The spaghetti and garlic bread take longer.”



“Oh, and you know so much about cooking? You’ve been a vampire for over a century,” Buffy threw back.



“I used to help out in the kitchen when I was a boy.”



Buffy’s lips twitched and then became a full grin.



“What?”



She shrugged. “Just thinking of little Spike helping with supper. I bet you were adorable.”



“My mum thought so,” he replied. He reached out and tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. “I’ve seen pics of you, luv. You were a cutie.”



“Pictures? When? Where?”



“Dawn showed me.”



“Oh.”



Spike ran a finger along the side of her neck. She tilted her head, savoring the sensitive sensation.



“Nothin’s changed. You are still a cutie,” he whispered.



“Belly and all?”



His hand roamed to her middle and then to her hip.



“Every inch.”



The heat grew in the room. Spike captured his slayer’s mouth. They hungrily explored each other with their tongues.



Alexis cleared her throat.



The two instantly split apart. They sheepishly looked over at their future daughter. They had totally forgotten that Alexis was standing there.



“You might want to stir the spaghetti,” Alexis advised.



“Right,” Spike said.



“Yeah,” Buffy confirmed. She grabbed the wooden spoon and stuck it into the pan.



Dinner was pretty much uneventful. They had invited Xander and Anya over. Which meant that they had to deal with the ex-demon’s quirky remarks. She had gone off about how sex was different when you were pregnant. She said that it was more intense. Her husband had tried with little success to shift the conversation away from such things.



Spike offered to clear the table. He pecked Buffy on the cheek and told her to go relax. She went into the living room and plopped down on the couch. Her hand rested on her abdomen, which had become a habit as of late.


Alexis crept into the room just as Buffy grabbed for the remote control.



“What ya gonna watch?”



Buffy shrugged. “Dunno yet. Maybe there’s a movie on.”



The slayer flipped through the channels until she saw something she liked. It was a romance, displaying a man and woman in a lip-lock.



“That’s so beautiful,” Buffy whispered.



Her eyes were glistening and Alexis almost thought she might shed a tear. She’d never seen her mother like this. She wasn’t the type to get emotional over some sappy love scene. Must be the hormones, she thought.



They watched the movie to the end. It was your basic unbelievable happily ever scenario, but Buffy ate it up like chocolate.



“Oh wow!” Buffy exclaimed all of a sudden.



“What is it?” Alexis asked.



“She’s kicking. Hard,” Buffy told her. She made a face of discomfort. “In the ribs.”



Alexis stared at the spot where Buffy’s hand lay in alarm. Buffy rolled her eyes and took Alexis’s own hand. She placed it over her stomach.



“Oh my God!” Alexis burst out.



The vibrations under her palm were powerful. She could understand Buffy’s irritation.



“This is giving me the wiggins,” Alexis stated, removing her hand.



Buffy didn’t get it at first. “I guess it is kinda weird. Having a living thing inside . . . Oh.” Then she got it.



A laugh came from Buffy. “Our lives are really screwed up, huh?”



“Tell me about it. I’m here, but I’m also there.”



“Yep, wiggy,” Buffy agreed.



“Totally.”



They both smiled.



“But it is kinda cool too.” Alexis moved to replace her hand on her mother’s belly. “Dad always said I was a natural at kicking. Must be cause I practiced my moves even before birth.”



************************



Buffy took a deep breath. She stared at the door before her, a little scared to knock. She had decided that day to go see Xander. He deserved to know about Spike and her future together first. She owed him that. It was only right since he was the last to know about her pregnancy. He had accepted that with reluctance. How would he react to her being linked to Spike for the rest of her life?



Images of Xander roaring with fury filtered into her mind. She took a step back, not quite sure she was ready for this. Before she could bolt, however, the door flew open.



“Buff?”



Xander stood before her. He greeted her with a huge grin.



“Were you going out?” Buffy asked.



“Just to get the mail. I can get it later. Come in.” He cracked the door wider for her to enter.



Buffy took in the place. It was normally clean, but never this clean. Everything was perfectly in place.



“Squeaky clean,” Buffy commented.



Xander chuckled. “Oh yeah, An’s on this cleaning spree.”



“I know the feeling. I don’t know how she managed to get things this tidy, though. Every time I straighten something somebody messes it right back up. It’s an ever ending battle. One I can‘t win.”



Xander went to grab a beer out of the fridge. “I’d offer you one, but . . .” He gestured to her bulging middle.



“Thanks, but even if I wasn’t like this I’d decline. Alcohol and Buffy equal badness.”



The two friends settled on the couch. Xander twisted the cap of his bottle before taking a long swallow.



“So, what brought you by?” Xander asked. “Any reason or just to hang?”



Buffy wanted to tell him right then, but she chickened out.



“Just wanted to see you. How is my Xander?”



“I’ve been good. Anya and I are moving.”



Her eyes enlarged. “Moving? Where? Better not be Mexico or someplace far away. I think I might miss you.”



“Don’t worry,” he assured her. “No Mexico, mi amigo. It’s only four miles from here.”


“When did you decide this?”



“Three days ago. We can’t raise a child in this place. Anya insists on a yard and I agree. A kid has gotta have room to play.” He smiled. “And a dog. We want a dog.”



“I’m so happy for you. Things sound like they are going well.”



“They are,” Xander replied. He leaned toward her. “So, are things going well with you too? How are you and dead boy working out?”



Buffy shifted. Now, she thought. I have to tell him now.



“Good.”



Coward, Buffy silently scolded herself. Continue. But she didn’t.



“Oh, so you aren’t on the verge of kicking him out then? Bummer. I was hoping.” His tone was teasing.



“Sorry to disappoint. He’s been on good behavior. Except he keeps leaving the toilet seat lid up. Ugh, that is so annoying!”



“Give me an estimate, Buffy. What is the probability of you breaking up?”



“Zero,” she answered truthfully. She breathed in deeply. “I love him.”



Silence.



She forced herself on. “And we’re getting married.”



Xander choked on his beer. He had a massive coughing fit. It took him over a minute to calm himself.



“Married? As in husband and wife? As in Mrs. William the Bloody?”



“Yes, husband and wife. And it’s Mrs. Shayne.”



Xander shook his head. “You’re serious about this?”



“Yeah. I am. I really am. I wanted you to be the first one to know.”



There was a pause.



“Congratulations,” Xander finally said.



Buffy blinked, not sure she heard him right. “Huh?”



“Congratulations,” he repeated.



“That’s it?” That couldn’t be it. How could he be so calm?



“I knew it was coming, Buffy. I mean, come on, Alexis talked about her parents. Which are you guys. I kinda knew you’d probably get hitched. I like to be denial guy, though.”



“So you’re okay with this?”



“I don’t like it,” he admitted. “But I won’t stop you. I’ll stand by you, even if I hate it.”



“Thanks.” She gave him a hug. “Aw, I love you.”



“I love you too, Buff.”



They parted.



“Normally I don’t commend divorce, but I’m all for it in this case. If he does one thing to hurt you. . . “



Buffy nudged him playfully.


At that moment Anya walked in. She carried two plastic bags, which she set down on the kitchen table.



“There was this huge sale,” she announced. “Lots of bargains. I got tons of things for my money.” She said this with more pride than was normal.



Anya noticed Buffy. “Oh hello, Buffy. You should check it out. It’s at that shop by the bookstore. They don’t have any baby things, but I got some pretty stuff for our new home. Did Xander tell you about our new home?”



“Yeah, he did.”



“I’m so excited. It’s two stories and . . . “ Anya snatched the Heineken cap off the coffee table. “Xander Harris, I told you not to leave trash lying around.”



“I was gonna throw it away,” Xander told her. “I just hadn’t gotten around to it.”



“Do it first thing,” Anya instructed. “Otherwise you might forget. We have to learn good habits to teach our son.”



“It’s a boy?” Buffy inquired. This was new news for her.



“Oh, yeah. It’s a strapping young man.”



“What?” Anya complained. “It isn’t a man, it’s a baby. And he certainly isn’t ‘strapping’ yet.”



“He will be,” Xander assured his wife.



Anya sat down in the recliner, putting her feet up. She let out a contented sigh.



“Buffy, why are you here?” she frankly questioned.



“Oh, I came over to visit.”



“And tell us that she’s getting married,” Xander added.



“Married? How sweet. To who?” Anya said.



Buffy rolled her eyes. “Spike, duh.”



“Well, you can’t always assume. I hope your wedding is beautiful and doesn’t get messed up.”



“Errr. . . Thanks.”



“Keep it small. Or elope,” advised the ex-demon.



“Thanks, Anya. I’ll think about my options.”



*********************



 


The next day Buffy and Willow had plans to go baby shopping. The witch didn’t show up that morning, though.



Buffy sat down at the table, a plate of Eggo waffles in front of her. Dawn sat across from her. Willow usually made breakfast. She was the only one in the house who could really cook. Well, except Spike. He could make a decent meal, but didn’t have a lot of initiative to do so.



“Any idea as to where she is?” Buffy asked.



A bright smile formed on her sister’s face. “I think she mentioned going out with Tara.”



“And she never came home?”



“Nope. Isn’t it cool? Them being back together?”



Buffy nodded. “I’m glad.”



“And you and Spike. I’m seeing some warm fuzzies that weren’t there a few days ago,” Dawn said.



A dreamy expression came over the slayer. “Definite fuzzies. Of the all over kind.”



“Awww. All this love in the air makes me want to have some of my own.”



“Not yet. You are too young for a serious relationship.”



“What!? You were dating Angel at my age. Heck, you slept with Angel at my age.”



“And it ended badly. ‘Badly’. As in I almost died badly. Sex is evil.”



“Oh yeah?” Dawn said dubiously. “So what were you and Spike doing last night? Having a contest to see who could moan the loudest?”



Crimson spread across Buffy’s face. “It is when you don’t know the person.”



“You didn’t know Angel?”



“Well, I didn’t know he had a tendency to convert into a psychopathic killer.”



“Gotcha. I can still date, right?”



“But no falling in love,” Buffy ordered.



Dawn saluted her. “Aye aye, captain.”



Just then Willow stepped into the dining room. She was practically glowing.



“Hey guys.”



“Willow, where’ve you been?” Buffy asked.


“As if we have to ask,” Dawn said. “You were at Tara’s right? All night?”



Willow’s grin grew even larger. “Is it that obvious?”



Both girls spoke simultaneously. “Yes!”



“All right. All right. Yes. I was at Tara’s. All night.”



“That’s great, Will,” Buffy told her best friend.



“I know.”



“So, are you still wanting to go out?”



Willow’s green eyes widened. “Shopping! Oh, I forgot. Yeah, I’m ready to spend some green stuff.”



************************



They went to a store called Babies Unlimited. It had a lot of cute stuff for infants to three-year old toddlers. There was also a section for expectant mothers. That was where Buffy headed first, set on getting some new maternity clothes.



“Oh, Buffy, you have to get this!” Willow exclaimed.



Buffy looked over to see an excited red-head. Her friend was holding up a frilly pink dress.



Buffy looked doubtful. “That isn’t a newborn’s dress.”



“Um, no. It’s for twelve months. But it is so cute. You have to get it! NO, I have to buy it for you!”



Buffy reluctantly gave in. If Willow was willing to buy things for her daughter then why not? It would have been fine if that was ‘all’ Willow wanted to buy. It wasn’t. Willow kept finding more things she wanted to get for baby Alexis. When Willow put an eighth thing in the cart Buffy had to stop her.



Holding out a hand, Buffy said in a commanding voice, “Stop right there!”



Willow halted.



“I know you are really getting into this. I can see how much you are enjoying yourself. But stop.”



“Why?” Willow looked disappointed. She reluctantly put the stuffed lamb back on the shelf.



“I appreciate the offer, Wills, but you can’t empty your wallet for my kid. You are going overboard. You are more into this than I am. And I’m the mother,” Buffy pointed out.



Willow nodded. She sighed. “I know.” Her eyes lost their sparkle and became pained.



Buffy bit her lip. She didn’t understand what was up.



“What is it?”



Willow raised her head. Tears were threatening to fall. “I am just kinda envious. I mean, you are going to have a baby.”



Surprise filled Buffy. “You want a baby?”



“Yeah,” Willow admitted. “I know it isn’t possible, but. . . I want a little person to dress up and tell stories to. I’m a little jealous. I know it is wrong, but I can’t help it. You’re going to be a mommy and I am never going to be. So, can’t you let me be Aunt Willow, who spoils my niece rotten? Please. It isn‘t what I want, but at least it is something.”



Buffy put an arm around Willow.



“Oh, Will.” She felt so much empathy right then. Poor Willow.



Willow sniffed.



“There are options. What about artificial insemination?” Buffy suggested.



“I don’t know,” Willow said, unsure. “I don’t know how Tara would feel about that. And it is kinda ewww. I mean, some weird guy’s sperm inside you. Makes me want to shiver at the thought.”



Buffy had to agree.



“Adoption?”



Willow gave a small smile. “I might consider that.” She let out a dramatic sigh. “But not today. Tara and I are just getting back together. We aren’t ready to think about stuff like that yet.”



Buffy smiled.



“I’m still envious, though,” Willow added.



Buffy shook her head. “The lamb. But ‘that’ is it.”



Willow grinned and placed the lamb in the cart.



___________________________________________________________



Wow, that was the longest chapter. : ) Hope you liked. I know nothing majorally exciting happened, but still . . .