Chapter Thirty- Four- Hey, I’m Having a Baby Here!



About three and a half months later



Buffy awoke, feeling uncomfortable. She rolled over in bed and winced. Her stomach hurt. She tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t.



The slayer craned her neck to get a glimpse of the blonde lying next her. Spike was deep in slumber, oblivious to Buffy’s predicament.



She got out of bed with some difficulty and crept out of the dark bedroom. She made her way down the hall to the bathroom. She flipped on the light switch, her eyes focusing. She stood there for a moment, leaning against the door. Ugh, she wished the ache in her belly would go away.



Buffy went to the toilet and sat down. She peed, finding that as she did so the pain eased.



There was a rap on the door. “Buffy? Pet? You okay?”



“Yeah, fine. I needed to use the bathroom,” Buffy called.



She flushed the toilet. Then she washed her hands and headed back to bed. Spike was waiting for her. She settled down, molding her body close to his. His strong arms held her to him.



“Go back to sleep, luv,” he instructed.



The slayer complied. It wasn’t long, however, when she woke up again. She felt the urge to use the bathroom again. Which was ridiculous. The clock said that it had only been an hour ago that she went. But when nature called, nature called.



Buffy disentangled herself from Spike. She was almost out of the room when he spoke.



“Again?”



“Yeah,” Buffy told him. “Again.”



She used the toilet again, this time emptying her bowels. As she was washing her hands a strong wave of pain swam over her. She clutched the counter until it passed.



I’m going into labor, Buffy realized. Oh my God. She was scared and excited both at the same time.



“Mom, I wish you were here,” she whispered.



There was no reason to worry Spike. She had read quite a few books and they all said that labor lasted hours.



She stuck her head into the bedroom. Spike had gone back to sleep. Good. She didn’t feel like resting at the moment. She went downstairs.



There was nothing good on TV. She settled for a talk show. She made fun of the guests as she watched, trying to get her mind off the inevinable.



About an hour later she shut off the television. The pains were regular now. She stood up and began to pace the room. Every now and then she’d stop, hunching over. She tried to control her breathing like she had learned in lamaze class. It was more difficult to achieve than she anticipated. She experimented, going through a few contractions without it. She found that the breathing exercises were helping, and went back to trying them.



Suddenly she heard footsteps coming down the stairs. She froze, a deer caught in headlights. She knew this wasn’t going to be good.



“What in the hell are you doing!?” Spike demanded.


Buffy opened her mouth. Her mind had seemed to leave her right then.



“Uh . . .”



It was then that her body chose to unleash another contraction. She let out a little moan. They were getting stronger.



Spike rushed forward. He grabbed her arms. His voice was softer when he spoke.



“Buffy, how could you not tell me?”



She took in a deep breath. “Remember that book you gave me? The one we both read? It says that there is no need to panic. I don’t need to leave for the hospital until the contractions are ten to fifteen minutes apart.”



“How far apart are they now?”



“I . . .”



“You don’t know!?” Spike asked incredulously.



“I kinda lost track. These last few I haven’t looked at the clock,” she admitted.



Spike led her to the couch. He set her down next to him. He rubbed her back, which felt really good.



“Well, let’s start now.”



After a few contractions it was confirmed that they were estimately fifteen minutes apart.



Spike jumped up and grabbed their coats. “Come on!”



“Spike, don’t panic. There is plenty of time.”



He shook his head. “No there isn’t. You’re in active labor.”



“Fine, Fine. Let’s go.” She got to her feet. “Dawn. We have to call Dawn. And Xander or Giles, or somebody. We don’t have a car.”



Dawn had spent the night at a girlfriend’s house. Some new girl at school. Jasmine? Joceline? She found the piece of paper with her name and number. Jackline.



Spike grabbed the phone and dialed for Dawn.



“Nibblet?”



He listened for a moment.



“That’s great, pet. I’m glad you got to see that movie. Look, bit, I think you might have to cut your slumber party short. That is, if you want to see your neice born that is.”



There was a squeal heard from the reciever.



“So, I suggest you meet us . . .”



A confused expression came over Spike. “Dawn? Dawn? Are you there?”



Buffy frowned. “What is it? Did she hang up? She wouldn’t have hung up.”



Spike shook his head. “No.” He stared at the phone. “The phone went dead.”



“The phone went dead!”



“Yeah.”



“How are we going to call someone to pick us up?”



Spike turned around. “We can’t.”


Spike took her arm and pulled her toward the front door. “We’ll walk it.”



They were almost outside when she requested for him to stop. “Wait, Spike.” When he didn’t she raised her voice. “Wait!”



“What? What is it?”



She held onto him, breathing hard.



“Oh.”



Buffy wimpered.



Spike ran a hand over her hair. “ S’ Okay, luv.”



When the contraction ended, Spike surprised her by swooping her up in his arms. He carried her out into the night.



They made it a ways before they realized how dark it was.



“There should be streetlights,” Buffy remarked.



“You’re right.”



They went on. A little while later they came across a fallen powerline.



“The phone ‘and’ electricity are out? That really sucks,” Buffy said.



“The hospital has a generator.”



They went on, entering the downtown. Out of nowhere jumped four vampires.



“Oh great,” Buffy said. “Did you bring a stake? I didn’t bring a stake.”



“Kinda slipped my mind,” Spike replied.


“Me too what with the impending birth and all.”



Spike put her down. She was relieved to find that her legs were steady.



Spike stepped forwad to fight. Buffy watched, annoyed that she couldn’t help. He dusted two by twisting their heads. She smiled, glad he still had his vampiric strength.



One of the vampires came at her. There wasn’t much choice. She couldn’t just stand there.



Buffy punched him in the nose. Then she hit the side of his face. She stepped on his foot, making him howl. She swiped her leg across, making him lose his balance.



“I maybe having a baby here, but I’m still the slayer,” she told the vamp. She held him down with her foot.



Spike dusted the other vamp and came over. He looked down at the fallen vampire.



“Good job.”



“Thanks.”



He bent down and took hold of the vampire’s head. He turned it. There was a crunch and then poof, he was gone.



Buffy let out a relieved sigh.



A few forms ran toward them. Slayer and ex-vampire went into fighting stances. They relaxed when they saw who it was.



Anya and Xander came near.



“We just came from your house,” Xander informed. “You weren’t there.”



“We tried to contact you, but the phone’s out,” Buffy said.



“Power’s out all over town.”



“Vampires did it,” Anya explained. “They’re after you. Big surprise. We made one talk before we killed it. Said that tonight was the night. What did they mean by that?”



“Uhhhh.” Buffy held her belly.



“Oh no,” Xander said.



“Oh yes,” Buffy said. “I’m having this baby tonight.”



“We have to get her to the hospital,” Spike insisted.



“That’ll be the first place they look for me. I can’t go there,” Buffy said.



“Right. Right.” Spike was at a loss.



“The magic shop!” Anya exclaimed. “You can go to the shop. There are lots of protection charms to help.”



“Willow and Tara! Get them,” Buffy instructed.



“I’ll do it,” Xander offered.



Spike picked Buffy up. “Come on, it’s time for you to have our daughter.”



______________________________________________________



Actually there might be 2 more parts, and an epilogue.