Eclipse of the Heart



By Heather Martin



 


 


Spoilers- Set during and after Smashed. I borrowed a few lines from Wrecked as well. Has spoilers for everything up to that point. Goes AU after that



Summary- B/S T/W A/X Something goes funky with Spike and Buffy after their coupling in the abandoned house. Meanwhile, a demon and a mysterious girl come to Sunnydale from the future.



Chapter Nine- Ashes, Ashes, They All Fall Down



“Can you manage the store while I run to get a sandwich?” Anya asked.



“Gee, luv, and risk missing out on a customer?” Spike retorted.



“I trust you, Spike. I love dealing with the money myself, but I’m really hungry.”



“Sure thing, pet. Go get yourself lunch.”



Anya gave him a genuine smile. “Thank-you.”



The ex-demon seemed to be a in a good mood that day. A glow emanated from her. She had been very considerate, not giving demands, but rather asking Spike to do things. He found it odd, but refreshing. It put him in good spirits as well.



Just then the bell over the door sounded. Spike tilted his head to see a tall woman with long brown hair enter. She wore really short jean-shorts that showed off her long legs. It was accompanied by a tight black shirt. He watched her examine the merchandise. After a few moments, she brought her purchase up to the register.



The woman put down some polished stones. There were ten total.


“Are these healing rocks or something?” Spike asked, ringing them up.



She laughed. “That’s what they say. I just collect them cause they look pretty.”



Spike smirked, amused.



“Eleven fifty-two,” Spike told her.



The woman fumbled in her purse for her wallet. She took it out and counted her money. “Oh my gosh!” she exclaimed.



“What? Is there a problem?”



“I’m five cents short. Damn.”



“Hey, don’t worry about it,” Spike assured her. “I’ll let you have em anyway.”



“You sure?”



“Yeah.”



“Thanks.”



Spike took a paper bag and put the stones inside it. Then he tore off the receipt and placed that inside too.



The woman began to leave. Suddenly she stopped, turning back around.



“My name’s Mindy,” she informed.



A little hesitant, Spike said, “Nice name, ducks. I’m Spike.”



Mindy smiled. “Do you like coffee?”



“I’m more of a tea person, but coffee’s all right.”



“Want some. Say tomorrow evening?”


Spike froze. He felt his heart rate speed up. A date? This woman wanted a date?



“I . . . I can’t,” Spike eventually said.



“Oh.” Her voice expressed her disappointment. She came over, revealing a scrap piece of paper. She scribbled something on it and gave it to him. “If you change your mind . . .”



Then she was gone. Spike let out a heavy sigh. He had the urge to hit his head against the counter, but put his face in his hands instead. A gorgeous woman comes in and wants to go out and he rejects her. What a git he was!



Buffy. It always came down to Buffy. When would he ever accept the fact that there was no hope in that aspect, and that he needed to move on?



***************************



Buffy shoved a couple stakes into her pockets. She closed the weapon chest, standing up.



“Dawn, I’m going out on patrol!” she yelled.



Her sister rushed into the room. “Are you sure? Do you feel all right?”



“For the last time, Dawn, I’m fine. It was food poisoning or something, but now I’m better.”



“I heard you throw up this morning.”



“That was this morning. I’m better. Promise.”



Dawn nodded. “If you start to feel bad come home immediately.”



“Sure thing, Mom,” Buffy joked.



Dawn smiled. It quickly disappeared. “What if you come across the Gestalt demon?”



“One thing I’ve learned as the slayer,” Buffy said, “If something is too strong to defeat on the spot, run.”



“Okay, but be careful.”



“Have fun with Alexis,” Buffy told Dawn.



“I will. We rented Dare Devil.”



“Don’t stay up too late.”



Dawn laughed. “Now who’s the mom?”



“Okay. Bye,”



“Bye,” Dawn said.



The walk to the cemetery was uneventful. She arrived, scanning the graves for anything to slay. She roamed, finding nothing.



“Here vampy, vampy, vampy,” she called out softly.



She sat down on a tombstone. The place seemed dead. Ha ha. Buffy took out a stake and twirled it.



“Buffy?”



Buffy got to her feet, spinning around. She raised the sharpened wood in her hand.



“That would work, pet, but it wouldn’t be done so cleanly anymore.”



The slayer lowered the stake. “Spike, what are you doing here?” she demanded.



“Takin a walk,” he replied.



“In the graveyard? Sorry to tell you this, but it isn’t so safe for you to do that. I know you probably have issues about your macho-ness now, but you are human. And vampires tend to eat them.”



He raised an eyebrow. “Worried?”



She let out a humorless laugh. “Worried? No. It wouldn‘t matter to me if you walked this planet or not. But it is my duty to protect humans. And as much as I dislike it you have become part of that pool.”



Spike was stung by her words. It didn’t matter to her if he died or not. Why would it?



“I can do what I bloody well please, slayer! Captain cardboard went out on his lonesome and didn’t get eaten. I figure I can do the same. Besides, I have many more years of experience fighting than he does. So what if I don’t have super strength? I have the skill. I have better odds at surviving than your rebound boyfriend.”



He showed her the metal sword he carried. “I’m prepared.”



“Whatever,” Buffy spat. She started to walk away.



“I feel at home here. I know it is stupid, but part of me still thinks I belong,” Spike told her.



Buffy slowed, but didn’t stop.



“Some demons took over my crypt.”



Buffy glanced back. “Spike?”



“What?”



“Shut up.”



He gaped at her, hurt evident on his face.



“Go home. You don’t belong here,” she went on.



“That’s right,” he agreed. “I don’t belong anywhere.”



There was a span of silence. Their eyes met and a connection ran through them. Neither of them quite fit in anywhere. Buffy had her friends, but she would always be different than them. Spike was a man who had seen too much darkness, thrust into the land of light.



Suddenly, Buffy was knocked to the side. She hit the ground, pain spreading through her body from the impact. She sat up, disoriented. Her eyes focused, seeing a green-skinned demon. It had horns shooting out of its head, and a long tail.



She scrambled up. She threw a series of kicks and punches at the demon. He managed to toss her into a tombstone. She landed in a heap, moaning.



Buffy heard Spike battling the demon. She managed to prop herself up to witness it. Spike danced around the creature, his duster flowing around him. He swung the blade he carried, cutting off the head. Then he wiped the weapon clean on the grass.



Spike came over. He offered her a hand. Stubborn as she was, she refused it, getting up herself. She wobbled slightly. Hands grabbed her before she could fall. She quickly shoved them away.



“I‘m fine!” she shouted.



Buffy took a few steps toward the dead demon. The head lay next to the massive body, his white eyes wide and unseeing. Neon green blood flowed out of the neck. The stench hit her nostrils, making her gag.



Buffy doubled over, spilling the contents of her supper. Cheese lasagna. That stuff was expensive too.



“You’re not fine, Buffy,” Spike commented, coming up by her side. “Let me help you home.”



“No!”



“Please, luv, you’re sick. Why’d you come patrolling? You should be in bed.”


“What I do is not your business. Just like you taking a walk isn’t mine. Let me go my way and you go yours.”



Buffy stalked away, fighting the nausea her stomach still wanted to dish out.



“Buffy?”



She ignored him.



_________________________________________________



Geez, Buffy can be a bitch.