A/N: Thanks for being so patient with me. I hope you like this chapter. Please tell me what you think.

Spike worked the rest of the night with Xander. The time seemed to move slower since Buffy had gone upstairs. When closing time finally came around he just about pushed all of the customers out the door. The bar staff made quick work of cleaning up the Grind. He seemed to have taken control of everything when Buffy went upstairs, but the truth was that he was just anxious to get his date started. Finally the only people left in the bar were Anya, Xander, and Spike.

“She said that she would come down before the bar closed. I don’t know who that guy was but she definitely didn’t like him.” Spike said worriedly.

“You should probably go upstairs and make her feel better.” Anya said smirking. “I’m staying with Xander tonight. We are having our own date night.”

“I’m glad you two finally got together.” Spike said.

Xander blushed and tried to make his leave. “I guess we’ll go now, then.”

“Thanks, man.” Spike said giving Xander a hug. He then turned to Anya and gave her a hug. “You go easy on him.” he whispered in her ear. Anya giggled as she pulled away.

“Bye Spike.” they both said as they left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy woke from her nap to someone knocking on the door. She got up off of the couch and opened the door.

“Hey Spike.” she yawned.

“Hey, pet. You okay?” he asked.

“Yeah. Shouldn’t you be downstairs at the bar?”

“Pet, the bar closed thirty minutes ago.” he said.

“Oh, I guess I went to sleep longer then I thought I did. Sorry I didn’t come down like I said I was.” she said stepping aside to let him in.

“Do you still want to have that late dinner? Or we could wait until another day.” he said disappointed.

“NO! I still want to. Let me grab my purse.” she said running into her room. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was slightly tousled. She pulled let her hair down out of her ponytail and brushed it out. She then applied some lipgloss and grabbed her purse. “Okay, I’m ready, let’s go.” she said opening the front door.

“Wow, you’re a bossy chit, aren’t you?” he said with a smile.

“What can I say? I’m hungry.” she said with a shrug. “So what are you going to cook?”

“What do you mean, what am I going to cook?” he said teasingly. He had already planned to do the cooking. They walked out the door to his car and headed to the store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forty-five minutes later the blond pair made their way back into Buffy’s apartment. Spike took the groceries into the kitchen while Buffy went into her bedroom to freshen up. She wanted to look good, but casual at the same time. She separated and put her hair into two braids. She changed into a pair of cutoff shorts and a baby doll t-shirt. She reapplied the minimal make-up that she wore. She took one last look at herself in the mirror and walked out of her room. She started walking into the living room when she saw that the dining table had been set up. Two tapered candles had been lit and a vase with 3 white roses had been placed in between them on the center of the table. In all her years of dating, no one had ever gone through this much to impress her. She walked into the kitchen, where Spike had begun to cook.

“Where did you candles and roses?” she asked startling him.

“Good God woman. You scared the shit out of me.” he said turning to face her. “I got them when you went to get ice cream.” he said with a smile happy that he had been able to keep them hidden. He turned back to the stove but continued to talk to her. “I went with something fast. Caesar salad, Fettuccine Alfredo, and we end with Mocha Chocolate Chunk. How does that sound?”

“That sounds absolutely great.” she said. “Is there anything I can do to help?” she asked looking around him at the stove.

“No, this all my doing. I want you to go sit down at the table and I will bring salad, alright, luv?” he said pushing her out of the kitchen.

“Okay.” she said as she sat down at the table. He smiled at her and went back into the kitchen. After a few minutes he came back with two salad and put them on the table. “Thanks. I love caesar salad.” she said.

“I’m glad.” he said taking a bite from the salad. “Luv, can I ask you a question?” he asked her gently.

“Um, sure.” she said putting down her fork.

“Who was the bloke who upset you earlier?” he asked.

She sat quiet for a moment before answering. “He’s a part of my past that I would like to forget.” she said picking her fork back up to begin to eating.

“Buffy, luv, I want to know about you. Everything about you, even if part of it happens to be a bad past.” he said. He reached across the table and grabbed her hands. “Please tell me.” he whispered.

She looked into his eyes and couldn’t deny the care that was present in them. “After we finish eating, and we can get comfortable, I promise I will tell you everything. For now let’s talk about more pleasant thing, okay?” she said.

“Okay, but we will talk about it.” he said patting her hands. He got up and took their salads into the kitchen. He came back with the pasta and bread. “Enjoy!” he said with a smile.

“What about you Spike? Do you have something bad that happened in the past that you would like to tell me about?” she asked while cutting her pasta.

“I think everybody has something painful in their past. I just don’t talking about mine. I can sum it all up in one word. Drucilla.” he said.

“Let me take a guess and say that it was an ex-girlfriend.” she said.

“You’d be right, pet. I met her when I was 21.” he said looking off into space. “She changed me from William to Spike. I loved her. She was my world, my everything. I thought those feelings were mutual. When we first started dating, she was the most caring person. Then she started to change, or maybe she just started to show her true self. We were together for four years before I actually caught her cheating on me in our bed. I told her that it was over. She asked me to forgive her. She would come to my work and try to get me back. I finally told her to forget me.” he looked at her. “See this scar?” he asked pointing at his eyebrow. Buffy nodded. “The last time I told her to get lost she decided to try and scratch my eye out. So that’s my bad past. That’s also one of the reasons that I moved here.” he said finishing his story.

“Oh, Spike, I’m sorry.” she said.

“Thanks, pet.” he said with a small smile. “But I didn’t tell you that so that you would feel sorry for me. I told you because it’s part of who I am, and I want you to know who I am and who I was.”

“I understand. I feel the same way.” she said nodding. “Let’s finish dinner first.”

The rest of their dinner was filled with talk about embarrassing moment and laughter. Spike finally took away the plates. “So what should we do now?” Spike asked.


“I think we should turn on the radio, sit on the couch, and keep talking.” she said taking his hand and leading him toward the couch. He sat down while she went over to the stereo and looked through some of her CDs. She found her favorite jazz CD and put it in. “My mom bought this for me one Christmas. I’ve loved it ever since.” she said walking back over to the couch.

“You both have great taste in music then, luv. I grew up listening to Miles Davis. Which is this?” he asked.

“The Essential Miles Davis.” she said listening to the music and staring of into space.

“So, luv, tell me what you’re thinking.” he said putting his arm around her.

She looked at him for a moment before starting. “The man who came to the bar earlier, Angel, he’s my ex - fiancé. My story is very close to yours. I met him at the bar that I was working at when I was 21 and he was 25. He asked me out and I said yes. We got to know each other and we started seeing each other all the time. After 2 years of dating he asked me to marry him and, of course, I said yes. After all that time I knew that I loved him but I never gave myself to him completely. Ya know?” she asked making sure Spike knew what she was talking about. He simply nodded not wanting to interrupt her. “Well, one night after we came home from a party we got a little carried away and we slept together. After that night he changed. He became possessive. He wanted me to quite my job and stop seeing my friends. I refused and we would argue but that was the extent of it.” She took a breath. “One night I went out with a group of friends. When I came home, he was drunk. He accused me of cheating and admitted that he had been cheating on me. I told him I was going to leave him and that the engagement was off. He...he hit me and threw me on the ground. He beat me until he wore himself out and passed out.” she started to cry as she remembered the worst night of her life.

Spike stretched out along the couch and pulled Buffy to lie against him. He cradled her allowing her to cry against his chest.

“I left and went to a friends house. She tried to convince me to go to the police but I just wanted to heal and forget about it. She finally convinced me to take pictures of my injuries. He came to beg for forgiveness, just as I knew he would. I told him that I had evidence against him and that I would show them to his bosses and to the police if he came around again. I never heard from again until tonight.” she finished through her tears. This was the first time she had ever told anyone the true story.

“Oh, God Buffy. Is that why you told me that you don’t trust people?” he whispered. She nodded against his chest. “Luv, you know you can trust me right?” he asked and again she nodded. He thought for a moment. “Pet, why would you threaten to show those pictures to his boss?”

“He’s a lawyer at a big law firm in LA, Wolfram and Hart. I knew that he wouldn’t want his perfect reputation tarnished with something like this.” she said. She continued to sniffle while being soothed by Spike’s breathing. Soon sleep overtook her, while Spike remained awake thinking about everything she had told him. Eventually the music and the warmth of Buffy’s body lulled him to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike awoke a little later with a mission. Gently he sat up and lifted Buffy into his arms carrying her into her bedroom. He laid her gently on the bed and left the room, closing the door softly behind him. He looked at the clock and noticed that it was a little after 9. He walked downstairs and made sure that everything was going okay, before heading back upstairs. He walked over to the phone and pulled out a card out of his wallet. He held it for several minutes before dialing the number. It rang a few times before a woman picked up.

“Hello, Kathy speaking. How may I help you?”she asked in a professional voice.

“Hey, Kathy. It’s William. Is my father in yet?” he asked politely.

“He is. Just one moment.” she said before the phone started to ring again. After a rings a man answered.

“Wolfram and Hart, this is Ethan Hart speaking.” the man said.

“Hey dad. Look I don’t I have a lot of time. I need to ask you for a favor.”

A/N: Please review. Tell me what you think. I hope I will have the next chapter up soon.