A/N: Please review. Let me know how I'm doing.


The drive to Spike’s father’s house only took a few minutes, but to Buffy it seemed like time slowed down, making her get more nervous. Buffy sat on the other side of the car staring out the window. Her leg was shaking from nerves. She started playing with her hem of her dress.

“There’s nothing to be nervous about. He’s a pretty laid back guy when he isn’t working. He’s a good guy.” Spike reassured her.

“Why did your mom and him split?” she asked, wanting to get some info about the man that she was about to meet.

“They met at Oxford. My mom, as you know, was American and he was a local boy. My mom was always honest about their relationship. They became best friends and then started dating. They got really serious and ended up getting engaged. They were young and had mistaken friendship for love. My mom got pregnant. Da had already gotten into a law school here in America, so my mom told him about me, but that she didn’t want to hold him back. My da told me once that it was the hardest thing he had ever done. But they knew that if they got married all their dreams would go down the drain. I don’t blame them for any of the decisions they made.” he said. “Okay were here.”

Buffy had been so wrapped up in Spike’s story that she hadn’t realized that they had stopped in front of a huge house.

“This is your dad’s house?” she asked in a shy voice.

“Yeah. I know it’s real intimidating, but you’ll be okay.” he said gently, rubbing her leg to give her comfort. She gave him a smile and nodded. “Great.” He hurriedly got out of the car and walked around to open the car door for Buffy.

She took the hand he offered her and got out of the car. “Ah, you’re the perfect gentleman.”

“And you’re a beautiful lady.” he said giving her a kiss on her hand. “Ready?” he asked. She nodded and intertwined their fingers as he lead her to the door.

Spike rang the door bell and took a deep breath. They heard the door being unlocked and squeezed each others hand . A woman answered the door wearing a pink dress suit.

“Hello, William.” she said opening the door wide allowing the couple to enter.

“Hey, Viv. You know I go by Spike now.” he said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“I know. I just like to get on your nerves.” she said with a smile and closing the door behind them. She led them into the living room, motioning for them to sit on the black leather couch. “You must be Buffy.” she said shaking Buffy’s hand. “I’m Vivian. Spike’s stepmother.” she said sitting on another couch opposite them.

“How’ve you been, Viv?” Spike asked.

“Good. The gallery is doing really good. I’m meeting with some artist from New York next week.” she said.

“You own an art gallery?” Buffy said glad she found something she could talk about.

“Yeah. I love art. I’m thinking about opening another gallery, but I need to find a partner to help me take care of it.” she said.

“My mom owns a gallery in Sunnydale. I’ve been around art for as long as I can remember. Maybe I can give you her number. I’m sure she would be happy to open another gallery.” she said pulling a card out of her purse and handing it Vivian.

“Spike, I like this girl. She definitely has my stamp of approval.” she said causing Buffy to blush. “I would really like to spend some time getting to know you more, maybe we can meet tomorrow?” she asked.

“Well, I don’t know.” she said looking at Spike, not knowing what he had planned for the next day.

“It’s okay, pet. I think that would give me some time to talk with my da. Go ahead.” he said.

“Great. Why don’t you meet me at the gallery.” Vivian said. Buffy gave her big smile and nodded. “Then... do you like to shop?” Vivian asked.

“Boy, does she ever.” Spike answered, earning a slap on the arm from Buffy.

“We can go shopping on Rodeo. How does that sound?” Vivian asked.

“That sound great. I lived here for a really long time but never got the chance to shop there.” she said.

“It’s great there. Even Ethan likes to shop there every once in a while.” Vivian said.

“Speaking of da, where is he?” Spike asked.

“Oh, he should be down pretty soon. He wanted to take a shower before dinner.” Vivian answered.

As if on cue, Ethan entered the living room and walked over to Spike, giving him a big hug. “Spike. It’s great you could come.” he said then turned to Buffy. “And you must be Buffy.” he said taking her hands and pulling her to stand up. He held both of her hands as he looked her over, then kissed her hands. “I must say, you are a very beautiful woman.” he said allowing her to sit back down and walking over to his wife.

Buffy was quickly taking to Spike’s family and knew that she would be able to joke with them. “Well, now I know where Spike got all his charm from.” she said.

“Yeah. The Hart men know how to charm women. Luckily they know how to stay true to them as well.” Vivian said leaning over and giving Ethan a kiss on his cheek.

“How have you been Spike?” Ethan asked.

“Well, I work at a bar that Buffy owns. I like the people and I like the work, so everything is going great.” he said.

“You own a bar down in Sunnydale? You must be a tough girl. Always liked that in a woman.” he said looking adoringly at his wife. “Well know that we’re all here, I guess we should go.” he said helping Vivian up and getting her jacket for her. Spike and Buffy followed the older couple outside. “Are we all going in one car?” Ethan asked.

“Sure. That would be good.” Spike said. Ethan opened the passenger side door for Vivian, while Spike opened the back door for Buffy. Spike and Ethan walked around the car and got into the car. “So where are we going da?” Spike asked.

“My favorite place. The Water Grill.” he said.

“Cool.” Buffy said as she leaned against Spike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour and a half later, the couples were back in the car and headed back to the house. “That was the best meal I’ve ever had.” Buffy said.

“I love that restaurant. It’s so unique.” Vivian said. “Um.. I was thinking earlier about having dessert at the house after dinner, so I bought some sweet stuff at the store. We can continue talking.”

“That’s a great idea, honey.” Ethan said.

The car pulled up infront of the house. The men helped their women out of the car and led them into the house.

“Buffy do you want to help me in the kitchen?” Vivian asked. Buffy nodded and followed Vivian into the kitchen, leaving Ethan and Spike alone.

“Have you said anything to her about Angel?” Ethan said.

“No, I wanted you to be with me to back me up, but I didn’t want to do it at dinner, ya know. I don’t know how she’ll react, but I don’t want her to get upset and leave.” he said moving to sit on one of the couches in the living room.

Ethan sat across from him and studied the young man. “You love her don’t you.” Ethan said. Spike looked shocked for a moment before he nodded. “Then don’t let her go. We’ll tell her and explain everything.” Ethan said offering his son support.

“Thanks, da.” Spike said, giving his dad a nervous smile.

They sat in silence until Buffy and Vivian came in with a tray of sweets. Each took there spot on the couches. Everyone started to take the treats off of the tray that now sat on the coffee table.

“Um.. Buffy, luv. There are some things that I wanted to talk to you about.” Spike said nervously. Buffy gave him a confused look. Spike looked over at his father, who gave him a slight nod. “Well, you remember what you told me about the other night?” he asked receiving a nod from Buffy. Spike drew in a deep breath and continued. “Well it upset me a lot. I called up my da, here, and talked to him about it.” He stopped to take in her reaction.

Ethan took over for Spike. “It concerned him that he had shown up at the bar. Turns out, Angel works for me. He’s been doing some illegal things around the office that he thinks I don’t know about. When Spike told me about what had happened to you, it bothered me. I decided to take action, but I didn’t want you to have to get involved with it. I filed charges against him the next day. Please don’t be angry with Spike. He was just worried about you and needed someone to talk to.”

Buffy sat their for a few seconds trying to hold back tears. She stood up and Spike looked down at the ground in defeat. Then Buffy surprised everyone in the room when she walked over to the other couch bent down and gave Ethan a hug.

“Thank you. For everything that you have done and will do.” she said through her tears. She walked back over to the couch that Spike was sitting on and sat back down. “I can’t believe that after all this time, this whole thing with Angel was solved with one phone call.” she said half talking to herself. She looked over at Spike. “I can’t believe that you cared that much.” she said.

“Pet, I care for you more than anything in the world.” he said pulling her into his arms. He gave her a quick kiss. “I say we call it a night.” he said getting up off the couch. Everyone else got up too, and walked to the front door.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, da.” Spike said giving his father a hug.

“And I’ll meet you tomorrow at the gallery, around noon.” Buffy said, giving the older couple a hug.

Spike let Buffy and himself outside after saying their goodbyes. He helped Buffy into the car and went around to the drivers side and got in. When he was about to start the car, Buffy grabbed his hand. Spike looked at Buffy. Before either one of them knew what was happening they were caught up in a passionate kiss. They pulled away to catch their breath and rested their heads together. Spike couldn’t stop himself.

“Buffy, I love you.”

Buffy went in for another kiss and smiled against his lips. “I love you, too.”

A/N: I'm trying to get the chapters out as fast as possible. Tell me what you think. I need to know what you like and don't like.