Two months later...

The old empty hardware store had been transformed into Buffy’s vision of The Grind. A small kitchen had been added to the back of the building. In the middle of the room was a small wooden dance floor. A long bar had been built in front of one of the shelving systems. The small glass doors on the small shelve had been individually painted and was backlit, creating a huge mural on either side of the building. The final touches that had been added were the forty high tables with chairs and the heavy curtains that would be open in the morning and closed at night to give a more intimate setting to the bar.

“I actually did it. It looks exactly like I always wanted my bar to look like. Now all I need are people to work for me. Did you bring that help wanted sign?” Buffy asked her mom who had been helping her throughout the renovation.

“Yeah, I put it on the bar. This place really looks great. I know that it'll do business. People have been wondering what you are doing in here.” Joyce said.

“Really? Maybe that'll bring people in.” Buffy said amused. “Now, I want to put out an ad in the paper for bartenders, waitresses and kitchen staff. I’ll go down to the paper to do that today. I want to open soon.”

“Honey, you have your bartenders licence and you’re a great bartender. Why are you hiring more?”
Joyce asked.

“I love to bartend, you know that, but I am going to have to run this place too. I'll still bartend I just want to hire some people to know that I am covered if I can’t be here.”

“Good, at least your not giving it up. Look, I need to go. I have my own business to attend to.” Joyce said giving here daughter a hug.

“Okay, mom. I’ll see you later. Are you going to help me move in up stairs?” Buffy asked.

“Of course. Have a good day honey.” Joyce said and left the building.

Buffy took the Help Wanted sign and put it in the window, then wrote out her ad. She took it down to the paper.

A week later, Buffy had hired Clem to run things in the kitchen. She also hired Anya as the manager. She found Anya very amusing because she was so blunt and she had an obsession with money. Buffy hired two girls as waitresses in the bar : Willow and Tara. She hired a few coffeehouse waiters too: Harmony, Dawn, and Kendra. Xander, Willow’s friend, had come to interview for the bartending job. He had no experience, but he looked like he had potential. But Buffy still wanted to hire one more bartender to make up for Xander’s inexperience.

“Mom I need you and Anya to help me. I have to go to LA to see a guy about a sound system. I have a guy coming to interview for the other bartending job. I really need you to interview him for me. Will you?” she said practically begging them.

Joyce and Anya shared a look before answering. “Honey of course we’ll interview him for you.” Joyce said.

“Oh my god. Thank you so much. I need to go. He’ll be here in a little bit.” She said giving them both a hug then rushed out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike looked at the address that was in the ad then at the building. He thought for a minute that he had the wrong address. Finally he walked through the door and was greeted by two attractive women.

“Hello, luvs. I’m looking for Buffy Summers.” Spike said.

“Hello, I’m Joyce and this is Anya. Buffy had to go to LA on business. We will doing the interview.”

“You are good looking. You would draw women into the bar.” Anya said.

“Um, Thank you.” Spike said.

“Why don’t you tell us about yourself.” Joyce said knowing that she would end up doing the interview anyway.

“Well, my name is William Hart, but people call me Spike. I’m 26 years old. I just moved here from London. I worked at a bar there. I was the best there. But I moved here so I could see more of my mom and stepfather. I’m living with them for right now until I find a place of my own.” he finished wondering if there was anything else they wanted to now.

“Well you seem to be a really nice guy. But we need to know if you can bartend. Would you mind showing us? We would give you our order and you make it.” Joyce said wanting to hire him.

“Sounds good. Let me get behind the bar.” Spike said moving around the bar. He looked around for a few minutes studying where everything was situated before turning to the women. “Alright, let’s have it.” he said with a cocky grin.

“Okay, let me have a Rolls Royce” Joyce said. He nodded and looked at Anya. “I'll take a Maiden's Prayer” Anya said.

Joyce and Anya looked at Spike in amazement. He flipped the bottles with confidence and poured the liquid into the glass without spilling a drop. He handed them their drinks and wiped his hands off with a towel.

Joyce smiled at him. “Good job. I think your hired. I just have one more question.”

“Ask away.” he said leaning on the bar.

“Are you afraid of heights?” she asked.

“That’s the question?” he asked confused. Joyce nodded. “Well, no.”

“Good. Because some of our liquor is stored in those shelves at the top, you would need to climb that ladder. Would that be a problem?” Joyce said knowing that she was going to hire this man. She liked him he was polite even though he looked tough.

“No.” he said simply

“Great. Then your hired. My daughter left the decision to myself and Anya and I think you would be perfect. What do you think Anya?”

“Yeah, I would love for you to work here” Anya agreed.

Joyce took over again. “I’ll tell Buffy that I gave you the job. She’ll call you sometime this week. Right now though I need you fill out some paperwork. Please follow me.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy got back to the apartment late that night and called her mom.

“Hey mom. How did the interview go?” Buffy asked.

“I hired him. He is a great bartender. Spike will definitely bring women in. I left his paperwork on your desk in the apartment.”

“Thanks mom.” Buffy walked over to the desk. “Mom did you just call him Spike?”

“Yes, honey, but it is only a nickname.”Joyce laughed.

“Mom I’m going to go. I’m really tired. I got the sound system though so everything is good.”

“That’s great. I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Get some sleep. I love you.” Joyce said as she hung up.

Buffy went to sleep that night thankful that everything was under control.

A/N: What do you think? Should I keep going?