Author's Chapter Notes:
Not much Spuffiness at all in this chapter. Please forgive me. I promise more in the next chapter.
“Oh, my God! Buffy, Baby?” Joyce cried running over to the side of the bed. Xander immediately ran outside to tell one of the nurses.

Buffy opened her eyes but closed them again quickly she did move her hands. “Can you turn off the lights or something? The lights are hurting my eyes.”

“Of course, honey.” Tara said flipping off the lights while Joyce turned on a small lamp in the corner of the room.

“Thanks.” Buffy said, finally opening her eyes and looking at the people that surrounded her. “Hey...how long have I been here?”

“Too long. A day and a half. We were all so worried.” Xander said.

The nurse came through the door and fought her way through the people that surrounded the hospital bed. “Could I get some of you to wait in the waiting room? We really need to be able to move around in here.” she said politely. Xander, Anya, Tara, and Willow all nodded and left the room, while Spike moved to the nearest corner. Joyce stayed at the side of Buffy’s bed. The nurse started doing the normal checkup. The doctor came in a minute after. He, too, started to check Buffy’s vitals.

“Well, your body seems to be recovering quite nicely. Your ankle is still quite swollen. The wound on your head is starting to heal. Your heartbeat is normal. Your mother and boyfriend have been very worried about you. They also haven’t left your side.” the doctor said.

Buffy looked at Joyce and Spike before looking back at the doctor. The doctor continued. “Buffy there are some tests I’d like to perform on you, just to make sure your heart didn’t sustain any damage, so I want to keep you here for at least a week. I would also like to discuss some treatment methods with you. I told your mother that I would like to put you on a long-term medication. However, there are other ways to treat your condition. Do you have any questions?”

Buffy shook her head. “Do you mind if I ask you a few questions, then?” the doctor asked. Again Buffy just shook her head. “Good. Now, do you know how you got here?”

“I’m guessing someone brought me.” she said.

“Good answer, but not the one I was looking for. No, what I meant was, do you remember the events that led up to you being here?” he said with a smile.

“I...I had just closed the bar. We were all sitting around inside talking and I decided I should clean up a little. I went behind the bar and picked up the extra bottles. I walked into the kitchen to throw them away but the trash had already been taken out. I went out back, to the alley, and threw them in the dumpster. I...” she paused and looked down at her hands.

“Go on.” the doctor said gently.

“I turned around to go inside, when somebody behind me told me to ‘hold it and give him all my money’. I panicked. He had a gun. I told him I didn’t have any money, which I didn’t think I did. I begged him not to hurt me. All the sudden I felt a pain in my chest and I collapsed to the ground. He walked behind me and grabbed some money I had stuffed into my back pocket. I heard him laugh a little and then everything went black. I think he must’ve hit me in the back of my head with the gun.” she looked back at the doctor. “I was so scared.” she whispered.

“How did the man know that you had money in your back pocket, luv?” Spike asked, as Joyce took Buffy’s hand in her own and squeezed it slightly.

“I guess he had been watching me all night.” Buffy said.

“I’ll inform the police.” the doctor said walking over to the phone and placing the call. He came back to the side of the bed when he was done. “They’ll be here shortly to get your story. Now, do you mind if we talk about treatments? The decision should be made as soon as possible.” he said.

“Go ahead and tell me about them so I can start thinking about it.” Buffy answered sounding strong once again.

“Well, you have two options. One, as I said before, is long-term medication. The other option would be an electric device, you probably know it as a pacemaker.” the doctor said leaning against the side of the bed.

“A Pacemaker?” Buffy asked.

“Yes. With your condition it would be ideal. You wouldn’t have to worry about taking your medication everyday. And if your heart begins to pump irregularly it will automatically send an electrical impulse to the muscle causing it to normalize.” the doctor explained.

“It’s definitely something I need to think about before making a decision.” Buffy said.

“Of course. But the decision should be made quickly.” he said. There was a knock on the door before a police officer walked through the door. “I should be leaving now. I’ll be by later to see if you have made a decision.” he said, standing up and leaving the room.

“Buffy Summers?” the officer asked. Buffy nodded. “Doctor Hamilton told me that you needed to report a robbery and an assault. Would you please tell me what happened?” He asked.

Buffy told the story once again while Spike stood in the corner. It had shocked him that she had woken up so suddenly. He didn’t know whether to grab her and hug her or to collapse and cry. She often shocked him and today was no different. When she told her story the first time she sounded so fragile. Now she sounded stronger. He focused on the conversation between Buffy and the officer.

“...like I said earlier, I think he hit me on the back of the head with the gun.” she finished.

“Miss Summers, do you think that you could give us a description of the man?” he said as he wrote on a pad.

“I can do even better.” she said. Buffy looked directly into Spike’s blue eyes as she explained to the officer. “His name is Riley Finn. He’s the bouncer at my bar.”
__________________________________________________

A/N: Please Review. I want your opinions.