A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE



Chapter 15: ‘Before I Break Down The Door!’


Spike paced nervously back and forth inside of his Hotel room. Since Buffy had made her great escape, and the deskman had alerted him to it, he had smoked at least five cigarettes. Even for him, that was a ridiculously high amount.

“The little minx!” he growled as he stubbed out the last smoke in the ash tray provided. “Running off from me that way! I’ll go and force her to…”

He paused for a moment, scrunched up his brows and thought about what he was going to do. With a rueful sigh, Spike dialed his cousin, Wesley, on his cell phone.

“Wes,” he greeted evenly, even though he felt like killing someone. “Need you to track down Buffy Summer’s home phone, and her cell phone. Immediately.”

“Spike,” Wesley sighed, obviously woken from his own slumber, “if the young lady doesn’t want to date you then…”

“Oh,” Spike hissed, “she dated me all right. Shagged me too, into oblivion. Then high tailed it out of my bed and into the sunrise.

“Spike,” Wesley drawled in warning, “that is a bit too much information for me. Especially at this time of day.”



“ Get the numbers for me Wes,” Spike orderered his employee, and cousin, “I’ll be sure and call Miss Summers before I go breaking her fucking door down.”

Wesley groaned loudly from the other end of the phone line, “really Spike, I’d think that if you told her about the money, the bail and all that she would have succumbed to your…”

“Like I said,” Spike growled again, his voice gravelly and impatient, “Buffy and I. Well, we had ourselves quite the time last night. I didn’t even have to pull out the ‘ace’ card, but she left this morning. Ran like a refugee. I want her back, Wes. In my bed, soon as possible. Now, hang up, like a good lad and find her phone numbers for me.”

Buffy was at home, of course, showered, lying in her safe, comfy queen sized bed. She was trying to sleep, but failing miserably.

‘I’m such a damn fool,’ she chided herself, ‘giving in to Spike that way. Falling into his arms like a stupid, silly naïve school girl. And without protection!’

She had always insisted that even poor Parker use condoms, always. What had she been thinking last night? With Spike?

It was now close to 8:50 AM and thankfully, Buffy had today, Sunday off and tomorrow, Monday off. If nothing else, she could collect her thoughts and most of all…avoid Spike Williamson. After all, the man may have known where she lived, but he only had her work number to contact her by.

“Hmph,” Buffy snorted, “try and talk to me now, Spike. Or maybe…” she bolted up from the bed, “shit!” What if Spike didn’t want to talk to her, or see her or anything after last night?

“Why that useless son-of-a…” Her angry monologue was interrupted by the ring of her home, cordless phone.

Checking caller ID, Buffy saw a number that she did not recognize.

“No way,” she hissed, “even Spike couldn’t have gotten this number? Not this fast, anyway.”

A part of Buffy wanted it to be Spike, but she was almost afraid to answer, for many reasons. Instead of picking up the phone, Buffy hit the cancel message button and buried her face into her satin covered pillow.

“I’m such an idiot,” Buffy groaned into the pillow.

Buffy rather wandered through Sunday morning and afternoon, kind of in a daze. She was not happy with herself, not at all.

‘What the hell was I thinking?’ she kept asking herself of the night before. ‘Okay, Spike is handsome, smart, charming, rich, cute, incredibly hot in bed…AhhhhhGGG!’ she screamed silently at her stupidity.

She stopped and caught her reflection in the dining room’s wall length mirror, “idiot!” she hissed at herself in anger.

Buffy’s cell phone, which she always left on, for business reasons, rang shrilly and broke her angry banter with her own reflection.

“Hello,” she answered the cell, her voice abrupt and all business. She had not bothered to check the ID screen on it, so Buffy was blown away when Spike Williamson greeted her from the other end of the phone.

“Hello, Princess,” came Spike’s clipped British voice, “I have a question for you…”

“A question?” Buffy asked nervously, trying to focus on the mirror again.

“Yeah,” Spike continued evenly, “why the hell did I wake up alone in my bed this morning?”

Buffy resisted the urge to just click the cell phone off, ‘I have got to face this,’ she told herself. Taking a deep, reassuring breath, Buffy replied quickly…

“About that, Spike,” she began in a hurried voice, “I got, I mean, we both got a little carried away. I get that. I’m sorry it went so far, I didn’t mean to let it go…” her voice trailed off then she got a second wind.

“I mean, Spike,” Buffy sighed heavily, “I was all you know, weirded out and you were all, you know, warmy and, well, Spike…”

Buffy tried to keep from groaning in frustration out loud. “We did what we did, didn’t use, you know, protection. Stupid on both our parts, but I’m as equally to blame. I’m just sorry that it got so out of hand and…”

“Bullshit!” Spike exclaimed loudly.

“What?” Buffy asked, stunned by the man’s outburst.

“I said,” Spike lowered his voice to a more normal level, “I said that’s bullshit. You and I both know it. We wanted last night and it was bloody amazing. For Christ’s sake, Buffy,” he continued in exasperation, “at least be honest with yourself and admit it was the greatest sex ever for you. I know it was for me and I don’t give a fuck that we didn’t use protection. I don’t have a problem, I assure you. I’ve a feeling you’re just a okay too, so…”

“You egotistical, overbearing SOB,” Buffy gasped. “I’m hanging up now, Spike. Lose this number, now…” she ordered. However, something kept her from actually clicking the cell phone off.

“Buffy,” Spike cried quickly, “don’t hang up. I’ll just come to your front door anyway so, don’t bother to cut me off.”

Buffy gaped at the cell phone, wide-eyed and in shock.

“What do you mean, come to my door, anyway, Spike?” she asked apprehensively.

“I’m down at the bottom of your stairs, Princess,” Spike tried not to chuckle at the completely silent response he got to that little revelation. “By the way,” he continued, almost smugly, “I plan to stay down here, or better yet, right at your front door, until you ask me to come in. At least to talk, sweet.”

Buffy cringed in embarrassed horror, ‘oh my God!’ she thought to herself, her heart began to race, ‘the neighbors? Mrs. Wiggins! What will they all think?’

“Spike,” Buffy began in a low, even growl, “go away,” she ordered.

“Nope,” Spike chuckled evilly, “not until you open your front door and invite me in. ‘Til then, luv,” he continued smugly, “I will sit outside of your door, in your little hallway and keep a vigil on your virtuous doorway. You decide, sweet. Inside your apartment, we talk, or…outside, through the door. I wonder,” he paused with a reflective note, “do you think your neighbor, Mrs. Wiggins, is it? Do you think she’ll overhear us discussing our little sexcapades last night and all? I mean, sweetheart, if I sit outside your door, any longer then…”

“Ahhhhgggg!” Buffy hissed as she threw her front door open to find Spike leaning up against the door frame.

“Thought you’d see it my way,” he laughed with a smirk as he sauntered into Buffy’s living room.

“Make this fast,” Buffy growled, clicking off her cell, even as Spike clicked off his, “I’ve got an old episode of All My Children to TIVO today! The original, better Kendall Kain actress is on and…"

“Sit your beautiful arse down and listen,” Spike ordered Buffy as he closed the gap between them and literally stared her down.

For whatever reason, Buffy felt the need to obey him. “I mean it, Spike,” she murmered, glancing around her own living room as if she didn’t recognize it, “get to the point.”

Spike laughed and flopped down next to Buffy on the couch, “oh, I will,” he assured her, taking her hand in his. When she tried to pull it away, he just gripped it tighter.

“First off,” Spike began, pulling Buffy’s body closer to his, “let’s get something straight, shall we?” She said nothing, just met his gaze and nodded slightly.

“I am not walking away from ‘this’ Buffy,” Spike stated simply. “Not away from what we had last night, will have and certainly I’m not walking away from you. Understood?”

“Look Spike,” Buffy started to speak up, but he shushed her quickly.

“Why do you want to run from something that could very well turn out to be ‘the something’ in your life? And mine?” Spike gazed into her green eyes, soulfully.

“You’re the enemy,” Buffy mumbled quickly, looking away from his indigo eyed gaze.

“What!” Spike gasped, apparently stunned by her verbal slap.

“You are the enemy,” Buffy spoke quite clearly, she felt, this time and wondered why this man could not understand.

“I see,” he stammered, his brows scrunched up in thought. “You think ‘I’m’ the enemy Buffy?” She nodded, silently.

“Buffy, sweet,” Spike brushed a loose tress from her right cheek, “I’m not your enemy. I don’t think you have any idea who or whom your true enemies just might be.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Buffy asked, defensively.

“Just what I said,” Spike scowled in answer. “I think you might have more so called enemies, who you think are friends, then you know.”

Buffy sat, silently, mulling over what Spike had said. He did seem to be sincere, that was for sure and after what he’d told her about that Officer Doyle, knowing him, without ever meeting him?

“Oh, God,” Buffy groaned, shaking her head in defeat, “I’m so confused.” She leaned into Spike’s chest and noticed he took this opportunity to clasp her closer to him, his arms wrapped about her.

“Let me help you, Buffy,” he whispered into her ear even while he stroked her golden hair. “I won’t let you down, not like the others, promise you, Princess.”

“Told you before,” she mumbled against his black tee shirt, “I don’t want to be hurt anymore.”

Buffy sounded so damn vulnerable, just right at that moment to Spike, anyway, that he felt his stomache clinch and a tug at his usually hardened heart.

“I’d never hurt you, Buffy,” Spike whispered as he clutched her even tighter to him. “Never, not intentionally. I mean that, truly. Can’t you at least try and believe that, Princess?” he murmered into her warm little ear.

She looked up at him, her huge green eyes searched his for the truth and finally found it there, within his.

“I can try,” she whispered, smiling softly when his lips met hers in a sweet kiss.

Buffy suddenly stood up, pulling a somewhat surprised Spike with her. “Come on,” she ordered gently, leading him through her bedroom door.

‘Thank you,’ Spike looked up and mouthed to his God above, as Buffy led him to her rather cozy looking bed.

Somehow, Sunday afternoon turned into Sunday evening with Spike and Buffy making love (okay, hear that Joss/ME…MAKING LOVE, again!) all afternoon. Finally, around 6:30 PM or so, Spike who had Buffy totally wrapped up in his arms, decided to ask Buffy if she was hungry.

“I am famished,” Buffy giggled into Spike’s muscular chest.

“Let’s go out to eat,” he suggested, half-heartedly, apparently more then content to stay in and eat. (hehehehe)

“Let’s order pizza!” Buffy squealed in delight. “With those hot chicken wing thingies and all!” She was absolutely giddy with excitement over the simple feast she yearned for.

“Okay, then,” Spike chuckled and reluctantly distangled his long arms from her precious little body. “I’ll order up and you just lay there, looking exquisite, right?”

Buffy giggled again, blushed and pulled the covers over her head. ‘God,’ she sighed to herself, ‘I’m such a slut!’ However, truthfully, the majority of her mind, body and soul did not feel sluttish at all.

After the food came and they ate, Buffy decided it was time for a bath, which of course, Spike agreed with, whole heartedly.

Once the bathtime was over, Spike and Buffy lay down together, naked of course, in Buffy’s bed and cuddled. They switched on the TV and found some silly, but suspenseful old movie to watch; something entitled ‘Suddenly!’ It was all about a small, 1960’s type town, an assasination attempt, everyone against everyone else, yada yada.

Finally, after the old flick was over, Buffy realized that Spike was sound asleep, his head resting on the right side of her chest.

‘He looks like an angel when he’s asleep,’ she thought with a smile. ‘Oh, shit,’ she flinched, ‘more like a demon, I think…’

Buffy lay down next to her new lover and let her eyes close in rest.

Monday morning dawned, clear and bright, but Spike and Buffy couldn’t know that, they were still sound asleep when the sun rose. Buffy woke up first, finally, about 9:30 AM or so, and found Spike, still asleep next to her, his arm draped across her waist, possessively.

‘Good thing I’m off today,’ Buffy thought with relief, ‘or I’d be so in trouble at work and…’

Her morning inner monologue was broken by a strong, hard rapping at her front door.

‘Who the hell is that!’ she wondered as she slipped out of Spike’s grasp and threw on a robe.

“Who the fuck is that!” Spike hissed, his eyes still closed, his mouth in a frown.

“I’ve no idea,” Buffy shrugged and hurried out of the bedroom to the front door.

She thanked God for peep holes and peered through it to find Angel O’Connor standing on the other side.

“Oh for the love of Pete,” Buffy groaned and banged her head, gently, against the door, “now I am in hell!”


A/N: Hmmmm, what does Angel want? Okay, if you have ever read any of my other fics, then you know, I’m one to drop anvils and hints all through the chapters, for the future. Please pay careful attention to this chapter and some references to movies, TV shows and even yes, food, etc. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv, Spuf