A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 18: ‘Why?’


“Oh, Jesus Buffy,” Spike was moaning loudly as he was pummeling into her little, hot body with his…

Suddenly, the distinct sound of a cell phone, playing of all things ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’ tinkled, in time actually, with Spike’s thrusts of passion into his Buffy.

“Oh fuck!” he exclaimed in frustration, as Buffy froze up and looked anxiously over at her cell phone that lay on the end table next to Spike’s bed.

“Sorry,” Buffy whispered with an embarrassed frown and automatically reached for the cell. “Cop here, on call, 24/7, you know?”

Spike eyed Buffy first, then the offensive cell phone and groaned again, this time in complete defeat. He stopped his pleasant activity and flopped back on his bed with a sigh.

“Hello,” Buffy answered timidly as Spike watched her intently with a pout.

“It’s Xander, Buff,” came Harris’s deep voice, “where the hell are you? Called you like a hundred times at your place, left messages. Even called your folks at Connor’s and Dawn’s. What’s up? Just wondered if you knew where Amy St. Claire dissapeared to? She’s not at her old apartment, whoever this mystery man, this tall dark Brit that’s charmed old Cordelia Chase? He’s done a…..”

“Xander, for God’s sake!” Buffy growled into the phone while she eyed her lover next to her. “I’m out, obviously. Can’t I go out and actually have a life?”

If Spike was pissed before, now he was really pissed. He resisted the urge to rip the cell phone out of his lover’s hand and throw it across the room of his hotel. Instead, he rolled his eyes and groaned again. Then, a really neat thought struck him.

Before Buffy could say another word, Spike crawled down, his head between her thighs and began to nibble on first her right thigh, then her left.

“Stop it!” Buffy hissed at Spike in exasperation. ‘No,’ he shook his head, stubbornly, actually brushing her wet center with his blond head.

“What’s that Buffy?” Xander asked innocently.

“Xander,” Buffy mumbled as she swatted at Spike’s blond head, “what the hell do you want?”

“Like I said,” Xander continued, oblivious to the events going on in Spike’s room, “where’s Amy?”

Buffty sighed, clamped her thighs together around Spike’s head to block his naughty tongue from continuing the wonderful ministrations he was performing and cut Xander off.

“Xander,” Buffy began, trying to keep a level tone in her voice, even as Spike tried to nibble Buffy’s other lips. “I am not going to tell you, or anyone where the suspect is. It’s none of your concern, as long as she doesn’t flee town, which I’m sure she won’t. After all, she’s got quite a lot to lose, monetarily wise that is.”

Buffy finally pushed at Spike’s head and hissed, “get back, Billy!”

Xander must have heard something, he suddenly got quiet, then…..

“Billy? Buffy where the fuck are you and…..”

“Okay, Xander,” Buffy grumbled, “this conversation is over. Go find your girl and get a life or get laid. I’m out of conversation range tonight. I’ll be in, in the morning, so……Good Night!”

When Buffy clicked off the cell phone, she looked at Spike who was wearing the most naughty grin on his face. His head was resting on his left arm, and he looked like the cat who stole the cream.

“Funny,” Buffy stated with a mock frown, her arms crossed over her breasts.

“Do me a favor,” Spike chuckled as he near slithered up Buffy’s body to meet her green eyes with his blue ones, “turn that bloody cell phone off for the night. Now,” he continued with a smirk, “where were we?”

Buffy hurried into work the next morning with a huge grin on her face. ‘That was the most amazing night of sex that…..’ she began in her head.

Halfway to her office in the hallway, Buffy spied Giles headed her way and made a quick U-turn to make her escape.

“Oh, Buffy dear,” came Rupert’s clipped British accent, “I need a word with you?” Giles stared straight into Buffy’s eyes and crooked his finger to motion her into his office.

‘Oh, double damn it to hell!’ Buffy hissed as she followed her mentor into his cozy little office. After she sat down, reluctantly, on the ergonomically correct chair, she stared out the open window at the ‘view’ of Sunnydale.

“Buffy,” Giles began quietly, that patent look of his that screamed ‘you are a naughty child, Summers,’ all over his face. “I hope you don’t think I’m being nosy or butting into your affairs, but…..”

“Then don’t do it, Giles,” Buffy muttered as she focused on her left boot that was slung across her right leg. “Don’t butt into my affairs, or affair as the case may be. And dear God, don’t waste your breath by telling me how Spike is part of Webster’s web of horror, no matter how ‘tame’ he might be. I am sleeping with Spike, period. I am going to continue to sleep with Spike and…..”

Giles looked as if he’d been informed that the Queen herself had been spied riding half naked into Westminster on Sunday morning. His shocked, if confused expression caused Buffy to pause in her tirade and quirk her brow up in question herself.

“What about Spike Williamson, Buffy?” Giles asked innocently, when he finally found his voice. “I was wanting to discuss Amy St. Claire and this sudden coverage of her bail? I thought you had something to do with it and all. Just worried about you and your finances, dear. Never meant to……”

Buffy sunk down into the ergo chair and prayed for some miracle cloud to just envelope her and spirit her from this place. She began to tap her foot, nervously, on the floor beneath it and chewed on her bottom lip with her top teeth.

Giles took off his glasses and began to clean them with a tissue, apparently biding his time while he gathered his thoughts. When he finally replaced the glasses on his face, he gazed at Buffy with a kind of Gile’s scowl. Firm, but affectionate.

“Giles,” Buffy finally spoke up, “it wasn’t me that helped Amy. In fact, it wasn’t really anyone’s money, except Amy’s that bailed her out. Apparently, Holden Webster is more of a human being then any of us gave him credit for. He left Amy enough money to bail her out of jail, move to a better area and send enough support to their son in St. David.”

Poor Rupert’s eyes bulged out of his head, nearly, and he actually choked on his next sentence. “Holden, Amy? Son?”

Buffy nodded quickly, “yup. Harley Webster, who turned four-years-old this year. Lives in St. David with Granny St. Claire. Just might explain why Amy high tailed it there when she felt threatened here?”

Giles stood up from his desk and began to pace about his office, his hands clasped together behind his back. “This might not be good, Buffy,” he muttered as he stopped in front of his window and stared out. “If Amy knew about this money and all, well, it could prove quite a lot of ammunition to the DA’s office and Angel.”

Buffy stood up and joined Gile’s by the window, actually laying her tawny head on his left shoulder and arm. “Since when are you concerned about Amy St. Claire’s innocence, or her at all, Giles?” she asked softly.

The tall man wrapped his left arm around his little protégé and his best friend’s daughter. “Since I think highly of you and your opinion Buffy. And,” he continued with a slight chuckle, “I detest Angel O’Connor. Can’t stand to see the bloody wanker be right about this, or win this case.”

Spike heard the ring of his hotel’s intercom and pushed the button to find out who was there to see him.

“It’s me, Spike,” came Wesley’s proper voice. “I’ve got some more information for you and I think you are going to just love this.”

“Get up here, Wes,” Spike ordered gruffly, tempering with just enough affection.

It was nearly 11:00 AM and Spike welcomed his cousin, Wes, into his suite with open arms. Buffy had left for work hours earlier and Spike missed her, already. This frightened him, a little, but mostly, he was thrilled with this new sense of romance he’d discovered with Buffy.

‘Get a grip mate,’ Spike kept telling himself, ‘the girl’s got you sewed up already and you barely know her.’ But he wasn’t sorry about these feelings, not really. He had pretty much always been a loner, by choice, finding women when he needed, then saying goodbye to them just as easily.

Buffy was different, right from the start. Spike wanted her, needed her even and yes, he had to admit it, truthfully, he was falling in love with her.

Wesley hurried into Spike’s suite, an excited, almost smug grin on his handsome face. He sat down on the couch and set a briefcase on the huge coffee table in front of it. Spike flopped down next to his cousin and eyed the case, warily.

“What’s this?” Spike asked evenly, “find that bloody list everyone’s all it a fever about?”

Wesley shook his head ‘no’ but kept the shit eating grin expression he had come in with. “More from Holden’s ‘Will’ Spike,” Wesley stated matter-of-factly, “some very interesting facts, Cousin,” he finished with a chuckle.

“Well,” Spike almost growled with impatience, “get to it man. What’s the news?”

Wesley produced a huge document, pages long, but thumbed down to about the sixth or so page of it. “I’ll read this to you, Spike,” the dark-haired man said, “wouldn’t want you to miss a thing.”

Spike rolled his blue eyes and leaned back into the couch, an unlit cigarette in his left hand. “Wes….”

“Okay,” Wesley began, all business like. “We know about the monies that Holden bestowed on his Amy and their son, Harley, but there’s more here. This information involves Miss Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Summers.

Spike gave Wesley a stunned look, “Buffy? What the bloody hell does Holden have to say about Buffy?”

“Well,” Wesley began quickly, as he leaned forward and read the paperwork before him. “Apparently, our cousin, Holden, decided to endow your Miss Summers with a little stipend of her own? $100,000.00 to be exact.”

If Spike was shocked, he didn’t show it, he was sure, he stood up and began to pace, however, about his room, a lit cigarette in his hand. “Why the fuck would Holden leave Buffy that much money in his Will? It makes no sense, unless…”

Spike refused to finish the thought or the sentence. Wesley just shook his head for a moment, then finally spoke up.

“I don’t know, Spike,” he answered honestly. “Whatever the reason? There just may be some answers in this mysterious list of Holden’s.”

Spike flopped onto the couch and leaned his head in his hands, “maybe, Wes,” he muttered.

Wesley checked his watch, “have to fly, Spike,” he stated quickly, “I’ve a luncheon engagement. With Miss Cordelia Chase. Want to make a good impression and all. I still need to thank Miss Summers for paving the way and all for me.”

“You go Wes,” Spike looked up and grinned at his cousin warmly. “I’ll thank Buffy for you. I’m supposed to meet her at her apartment tonight, after her duty at the precinct.”

After Wesley had left, Spike sat on the hotel balcony, staring out at the view of the Pacific Ocean. He had started drinking earlier then usual, a part of him confused and apprehensive about just why Holden would leave his Buffy $100,000.00 in his last Will and Testament.”

“What spell did you weave about my cousin, my Princess,” Spike asked the empty air about him. “Why would a prick like Holden Webster leave you that much money?”

Buffy hurried home from the Connor and Dawn’s house. Dawn had been released, earlier that afternoon and she, Buffy, had stopped at the house to visit for a while with the darling new baby, her little sis and her parents. And, of course proud daddy, Connor.

Earlier that day, Buffy had stopped at her bank to make arrangements for a special account for baby Connor’s future. It was to be a present for the baby and his parents. The amount wasn’t a lot, but since Amy’s bail was met with her own money, Buffy could afford to be more generous with the baby’s account.

When she arrived at her apartment, Buffy found Spike sitting in his rented BMW, parked just in front of her building. She parked in the lot in back and hurried out front to meet him. If she thought he was acting rather odd, she didn’t say anything, just smiled at him warmly and motioned for him to come upstairs to her place.

“This is for the baby,” Spike mumbled as he pulled a huge, baby blue fur covered stuffed bear out of the back seat of the car. It had this white ribbon around it’s neck, and Buffy could swear she saw a $100.00 bill tied into the bow of the material.

“Will,” Buffy gasped, “you shouldn’t have done this! It’s too much and…”

Spike cut her off with a shake of his blond head, “no, it’s fine, really Buffy,” he murmered as he walked past her and headed up the stairs to her apartment. “Least I can do, for my girl’s little sis and nephew and all.”

He seemed distant, Buffy thought, distant and confused about something. She just didn’t know what it was he was so ‘odd’ about.

“Is something wrong Will?” she asked, puzzled, as she opened her front door.

William just shrugged and followed her into the apartment, immediately flopping down on her couch.

‘What the hell?’ Buffy wondered as she began turning on lights in her apartment. ‘What’s his problem?’

She was beginning to get just the slightest bit perturbed and peckish by William’s distant, almost cold demeanor.

“Okay, Williamson,” she finally tossed her house keys onto the bar counter and turned to face William. “What’s the deal here? Why the cold front?”

Spike sat, staring at Buffy, an inquisitive expression on his face. “All right, Princess,” he began evenly, his eyes narrowed into slits, “tell me something…why the fuck would my prick of a cousin leave you $100,000.00 in his ‘will’?”

Buffy slumped down on the couch, next to Spike and eyed him with a stunned expression. “$100,000.00!” she gasped.

Spike nodded, his stare now focused on the coffee table in front of them. “Why would my cousin, who supposedly detested you and you him, leave you money, sweetheart?” he grumbled lowly.

“I have no idea,” Buffy whispered, reaching out to touch Spike’s arm with her little hand. “But you seem to have some idea, don’t you?” she asked, almost snippily. “You’ve come up with some macho, ego breaking reason, haven’t you Spike?” she inquired with impatience.

“Buffy, I…..” Spike immediately went on the defensive, his own sense of honor and feelings for this woman caused him remorse at his earlier, unworthy thoughts. “I don’t know,” he finally admitted, somewhat embarrassed by his inner insecurities.

“You thought, didn’t you, Spikey, that Holden and me, that we were what? Intimate? I was bought off? What?” Buffy now crossed her arms over her ample breasts and raised her right brow at him.

“I don’t know, Buffy,” Spike whimpered softly, “I don’t know what the hell prompted my idiot cousin to leave you money. It’s just so fuckin’ weird and all…..why would he do it?”

Buffy stood up and walked to her front door, slowly. “Good night, Spike,” she murmered as she opened the door for him and motioned him to leave. “Take your bear and bill with you.”

Spike reluctantly stood up from the couch and headed toward the door, even more slowly then Buffy had. “I…” he began, shame faced, then started through the door, a sorrowful look on his face.

Buffy felt tiny tears begin to form at the corner of her green eyes, but she shook her head to rid the urge to let them fall. ‘Stop it, Summers,’ she hissed to herself, ‘he’s like all the rest of them. Jumps to conclusions, never lets you explain or…’

Before she could finish that thought, Spike moved like a flash back through her front door and into the hallway. He manuveured Buffy back from the doorway and slammed it behind him, even as he grabbed her and pulled her towards her bedroom, ignoring the stunned expression in her emerald green eyes.

“Sorry, sweetheart,” he chuckled, his old swagger back in his walk and talk, “but you’re not getting rid of me that easily.”

When they reached the bed, Spike picked Buffy up and tossed her, rather unceremoniously onto it, with a wicked laugh. “Fuck Holden and his money,” Spike growled as he divested himself of his clothing.

“If my good old cousin wanted to leave you $100.00 or $1,000,000.00, so be it. I don’t give a fuck, why or how. Obviously, old Hold knew a great woman when he saw one…”

Buffy just stared up at her lover with a ‘what the hell!’ look on her face. When Spike got down to taking off his boxers, she suddenly grinned like a loon.

“You are one bent Brit, Will,” she chuckled, holding out her arms to him, longingly.

“Buffy,” Spike smiled down at her, before he joined her on the bed, “I think, no, I know I’m totally falling in love with you.”


A/N: Okay, odd little chapter…now, here’s the question readers: Why did Holden leave Buffy money? (I just love these little mystery quizzes!) 1) Because Buffy was on the take? 2) Because Holden knew that Buffy would always be there for Amy and his son, Harley? 3) A future pay off for sleeping with his cousin, Spike? 4) Holden thought Buffy could use a new wardrobe? 5) Holden feels a certain guilt over Buffy???

I promise, all of the questions in this fic will eventually be answered. Apparently, Spike is not going anywhere away from Buffy. There was a hint/anvil in this chapter, I’ll tell you that much. Thanks for reading, please review. Luv Spuf



A/N: Leaving off on that note! Why would Holden leave Buffy $100,000.00 in his ‘will?’ Please read and review. Thanks, luv, Spuf