A MURDER IN SUNNYDALE


Chapter 23: ‘Won’t Let You Down’


“What the hell do you mean, Xander!” Buffy screamed into the phone at her partner.

“How the hell did Amy get shot?” she practically growled at poor Xander, who grew suddenly quiet on the other end of the line.
Apparently, Xander Harris knew when Buffy Summers, the ‘Lion Queen’, was emerging, even over the phone.

“Buff,” he stammered, finally, “I guess she wouldn’t give up, in Salinas I mean. Held the cops at bay and…..”

By this time, Buffy had hit the speaker button of her phone so William could hear this crap for himself. Speaking of William, he had stood up from the chair he’d collapsed in, after his and Buffy’s little office sexcapade and joined her by her desk.

“Held the cops at bay, Xander?” Buffy growled in disbelief, again, “like how do you mean? Amy’s what now, Bonnie of ‘Bonnie and Clyde’ fame? Let me guess, Amy sprung Andrew Price from the Drug Facility and he’s up in Salinas with her? He’s starring in the role of Clyde Barrow? What next, a Federal ambush on the Amy and Andrew gang?”

“Jesus Buffy,” Xander yelped over the speaker, “you don’t have to be such a fucking bitch about this! I didn’t shoot Amy, a Salinas cop did!”

“That’s it!” Spike growled angrily and gently scooched Buffy aside from the desk, “let me talk to this fucking moron!”



He reached for the receiver to ‘reach’ out and touch Xander Harris, on a more personal note, but Buffy stopped him with her tiny, but quite powerful hand.

“Don’t bother,” she grumbled to her lover, “Xander’ll only say something stupid and make an ass out of himself. Don’t worry,” she continued, “even poor Xand knows that Amy would never have ‘held’ the cops at bay. The girl couldn’t hold a half a glass of beer, much less hold a unit of cops and bay and……”

In the mean time, Spike flopped back down on the Spuffy sex chair, and indignant pout on his face. With narrowed eyes, he stared at the offensive speaker phone and the even more offensive voice of Harris coming out of it.

“Nobody calls my Buffy a bitch and lives to talk about it,” Spike grumbled under his breath. Temporarily forgetting the ‘no smoking’ laws of California, Spike pulled out a smoke and lit it, defiantly.

If Buffy was the slightest bit pissed off about Spike’s rule breaking, she ignored it and continued her tirade with Xander Harris.

“Of course I intend on going to Salinas,” Buffy hissed over the intercom to Xander, “Amy is shot. She needs a true friend to come and….”

“She’s shot in the arm Buffy,” Xander whined from the other end of the line. “It’s not really life threatening or anything. Just uncomfortable.”

“Oh Jesus!” Buffy groaned loudly, “leave it to you to think that an arm wound is nothing more then ‘uncomfortable’ Xander Harris!”


“Buffy,” Xander tried a ‘calmer’ approach with her, “Angel O’Connor is already arranging to have Amy St. Claire extradited back down here, immediately if not sooner. He even…..”

“What the hell does Angel have to do with Salinas!” Buffy gasped in disbelief, an uneasy feeling starting in the pit of her stomach. She glanced over at Spike who just shrugged at her, apparently somewhat confused himself, and definitely upset over the mention of Buffy’s ex.

“Well,” Xander began carefully, “it was Angel that had the APB put out. I ‘guess’ he told the Salinas cops to take Amy in, no matter how….”

“That fucking, egotistical, fame seeking, star fucking bastard!” Buffy screamed back at Xander. “Did he tell some two bit country cop to shoot my friend?” She was livid, Spike was afraid Buffy might ‘shoot’ through the ceiling right at the moment.

“No, Buff,” Xander whined loudly, “but if the girl wouldn’t surrender, I suppose he had to okay the cops up there to take her in no matter what. I mean, Angel did slap an ‘armed and dangerous’ alert on the APB and all. I guess some over zealous rookie or something over reacted and…..”

“Armed and dangerous! Amy St. Claire!” Buffy screamed back at Xander, once again.

“Geez, Buff,” Xander whined in reponse, “the bitch is accused of shooting two people to death. Of course old Angel would alert the police everywhere that she could be armed and…..”

“Xander,” Buffy said in her most dangerous, deadly calm voice, “when the hell did you become Angel O’Connor’s messenger boy, or for that matter, his butt monkey?”

“Dammit Buffy,” Xander whined again, “just because some fucking freak from England shows up here, makes a successful play for you and apparently scores? You have to start treating your real friends like shit and…”

“Goodbye Xander,” Buffy hissed and shut the speaker phone off, ending the conversation with her partner.


“I am so going to fry Angel O’Connor’s ass for this!” Buffy barked at Spike, who was really trying not to smirk. ‘That wouldn’t do,’ he assured himself, ‘but hell, my Buffy is so sexy when she’s pissed. Can’t help but smile over it.’ He forced his mouth into an even, almost neutral expression and kept his mouth shut, for once.

“Can you believe this crap?” Buffy asked, incredulously of her boyfriend. Then she re-thought that… ‘I’m too old to have a freaking boyfriend,’ she immediately chided herself for thinking of that term for Spike.

“Not really,” Spike responded to her question, “In fact, I think the whole bloody situation is a fucking mess. Can’t believe how screwed up your crack Sunnydale legal team really is.” He tried his best to keep a cool, calm manner, but the look in Buffy’s beautiful green eyes made him very uneasy. ‘Don’t like her so unsure of herself, so upset like this,’ he thought anxiously.

“The press is going to have a field day with this, Spike,” Buffy sighed as she flopped down on her own chair. “Angel’ll get such press over this that when he’s finished with the spin on it, he’ll look like some kind of hero that took out the Sunnydale equal of Ma Barker!”

Spike stood up and maneuvered around the desk until he was in front of Buffy. He leaned back onto the desk, watching her intently for a moment, then finally spoke up.

“Buffy,” he began softly, “you have done everything in your power to help Amy. You’ve gone above and beyond the call, so to speak, maybe even broke some of your own rules to be a friend to her. All’s you can do now is be there when they get her back to Sunnydale and try to support her, emotionally. That and try to find some kind of evidence, or information that’s going to clear the girl.”

“What if I can’t do it, Will,” Buffy mumbled, sadly, “what if I fail at this?”

“You won’t,” Spike leaned over and placed both his hands on either side of her soft, pretty face. “You don’t have it in you to fail, Buffy, no matter what you think. Or what some fuck of a man has ever told you in the past. Besides,” he smiled at her warmly, “you got me now, to help you out. I love you Buffy, and I won’t let you down, won’t leave you, ever. I told you before, I’ve got your back, baby.”


A/N: A very short chapter for me. Just to assure concerned readers that Spuffy is alive and well, Spike is going to watch his Buffy’s back. She ‘will’ need that, believe me. Okay, next chapter is going to be long and updated soon. Just wanted to get this up here and keep it going. Keep in mind all of theh players in this chapter, they may or may not have something to do with all the mysteries in Sunnydale? Thanks, Luv, Spuf